Canning Club!

Options

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I haven't canned in the past but am interested in learning more about it and maybe doing some this summer. :) Can't afford a canner right now so it would be whatever I can do without one. Any tips?
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Brangwen, we rent too, luckily our building manager is cool and let us plant a few tomato and pepper plants in front of our apartment. We also have a few planters of them... unfortunately they're getting soft brown spots... anyone know why!?! We've never had this problem... anywho, we go to the farmer's market every Saturday morning to stock up. I do my canning either Sat or Sunday.... just need more space for my jars!

Unfortunately we have a huuuuge storage issue also, really nowhere to keep the goodies. But next summer hopefully that will be resolved. :happy:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Check out this website for plants that will naturally repel those squash bugs.................This is where my sister and I have been learning from. Natural pest control so you don'thave to use chemicals and can have an organic garden.

http://organicgardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/natural_garden_pest_control

My grandma always used to make a spray bottle of liquid castile, garlic and tobasco (all diluted with water), said it would kill anything... and she always had a great garden. She also used to make up the garlic/mineral oil concoction for mosquitos and spray it around the porch at night when we'd sit outside (guess you could put it on yourself too :laugh: ).
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't canned in the past but am interested in learning more about it and maybe doing some this summer. :) Can't afford a canner right now so it would be whatever I can do without one. Any tips?

You could start with jams and tomato products. Anything on the high acid list that you can do in boiling water. I tried jam last year just to get an idea of how to do it - so easy!

Also, you could luck out at a garage sale or something (like ebay) and find a canner for super cheap! :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    My jam- 3 cups cut fruit (except blueberries, raspberries blackberries, etc) to 1 cup sugar... I know it's kinda high in sugar.. but I don't use pectin, bring to boil about 20 min. do the custard spoon method (put spoon in jam and make a line with your finger, if the top of line doesn't run, your good) Don't cut the berries, I put in whole and at end of boiling I mash them.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm in! i made grape jelly last year and asked for 2 cookbooks on canning for christmas (that i received). whoo-whoo!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I would suggest getting the Ball brand pressure cooker if you don't already have one.

I'm on amazon.com and can't find it?! I would love a ball brand, that's what I use for my cans....

Wal-mart has them.
  • mamaturner
    Options

I would suggest getting the Ball brand pressure cooker if you don't already have one.

I'm on amazon.com and can't find it?! I would love a ball brand, that's what I use for my cans....

Wal-mart has them.

guess I'll have to get the hubs to go, I refuse to go into walmart and haven't for at least a year.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Wal-mart has them.

guess I'll have to get the hubs to go, I refuse to go into walmart and haven't for at least a year.

I've only seen the Ball water bath, not pressure canner... WalMart only has the Presto brand according to their website.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I was looking at the Presto... you had the 23 quart right? It seems like a very good deal. Now... is there a difference besides quality of metal between aluminum and stainless steel? course price lol... but if they hold the temp and do the same thing I'd much rather get the presto (aluminum)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my water bath canner is bascally a large lobster pot. i bought a kit so that i could set the jars in properly with the little carrier thing, but the bath itself is just an enormous pot.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Mama - yes, I ordered the Presto 23 qt (the reviews of the 16 said that they couldn't do the quart jars in the water bath in it, so I went bigger). The only thing I can think of is if you plan on cooking in the canner. You aren't supposed to cook tomatoes in aluminum - so if you plan on using it as a pressure cooker or stew pot, I'd get stainless steel. As for the difference in canning I can't say I know there's really much difference between the metals (steel holds heat longer?).

Oh and the pickyourown.org review said Presto was good, so I went with it.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I would just be using it for canning. Right now I use my stainless steel/copper bottom stock pot. Looks like I'll just have to start a wish list and see how it goes! lol
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I want to join!! I want to get into canning so I can control what is added to my food! I am sick and tired of picking up cans of applesauce to see HFCS--it's really annoying me!

I have thought about buying the starter pack so you are only doing about 3 bottles at a time...anyone used that? I don't have a lot of produce right now so I thought that would work...

Thanks for starting this. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I want to join!! I want to get into canning so I can control what is added to my food! I am sick and tired of picking up cans of applesauce to see HFCS--it's really annoying me!

I have thought about buying the starter pack so you are only doing about 3 bottles at a time...anyone used that? I don't have a lot of produce right now so I thought that would work...

Thanks for starting this. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing!

Welcome!

If the starter pack is just a water bath style (not pressure), then that's good for fruits, jams, pickles, and tomatoes - anything on the high acid list can be canned that way.. In fact, the first time I canned anything, I only bought some jars at the store and used a big pasta pot I had at home. Made some jam, very simple!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have some tomatoes--maybe I should just do the water bath for that and then get into the others after I am used to it. I guess I should go buy some bottles...:bigsmile:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Got the canner! Thrilled! That sucker is big...oh my.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Got the canner! Thrilled! That sucker is big...oh my.

I'm excited for you, let me know your own reviews!!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would love to join your group as well! I love canning. Just did dill pickles last week, and getting ready to do peaches, tomatoes, and pears as soon as they come into full season here.
    What a great club! I've been canning for a couple years and I finally got a pressure canner for Christmas this last year. I usually do jams, jellies, fresh fruit, tomatoes and we did turkey stock with the pressure canner. It's so much fun. In fact, pears should be getting about ripe any time now and we have a place that we get to go and pick all we want for FREE!! That's the trick, find as much stuff as you can for free to keep your costs down, or it's just not worth it.

I love canning and hunt thrift stores constantly for jars because no matter how many you have, you always want more! LOL!

How did you find the place that let you pick for free? I would love to do that, but I have no idea where I would look. There are pick your own places around here, but they all charge!

Even with the higher cost of buying your own produce, I still like to do it. Generally it at least evens out to what I would pay in the store, but at least I know what's going into it and it's all natural!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    AH! what happened here, lol. Anyone have any big canning plans for the weekend? I'm thinkin of more jams.. farmer's market is tomorrow morning... wont' know if I have to work tomorrow until 7:30 am.. so it's a hit or miss!