February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,963 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @kgirlhart Glad there wasn't anything significant wrong with your toes. Hope changing up your route will solve your issues.

@shanaber Beautiful pictures. I really need to find somewhere pretty to run!

@katharmonic Interesting perspective on your running/activities. When I first started running again, I was wondering if my tennis was being affected because I wasn't playing as much as before....or if tennis was affecting my ability to become a better runner because I was playing tennis some days instead of running. We can do more than one thing and concentrate on whichever one at the time is more important to us. I don't have to be a runner at and give up everything else I love...especially at my level.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Congrats on the land and future dream home!

@LoveyChar Love the new profile pic! As far as sleeves go, as a Texas runner I love sleeves. They are perfect when it is chilly when you start a run but warm when you finish. They are easy to pull off while running and tuck in your belt or pocket or tie around your waist. But it is also nice to just push them down to your wrist on those days when you are chilly running into the wind, then you turn and you're hot, but when you turn back into the wind you are chilly again. I don't even have any long sleeved running shirts, I just wear sleeves with a t-shirt when it is cold. Sometimes I leave them on the whole run, but sometimes I don't.

@Camaramandy648 Hooray that it is "just" the IT band and not something that you can't run through.

@samanthapanda Congrats on the first run of 2020!

@autumnblade75 I had to do the same thing with the ZombiesRun! transcripts. I don't think that I would like listening to audio books or podcast while running because sometimes I zone out and sometimes I can't hear. It doesn't bother me with music and since ZombiesRun is just clips I can usually pay attention to what they are saying for that short amount of time, but occasionally I still miss the dialog. The music that I listen to is pretty ecclectic, but there is definitly some heavy metal in there. I also just looked up Oi! on Spotify and have been listening to that. I think there will soon be some Irish punk music on there as well. It is different than what I usually listen to, but there is definitely a fast beat to it.

@hamsterwheel6 and @quilteryoyo. Thanks! I'm glad the toe issue is just normal achy-ness and nothing more serious.

@brittanystebbins95 Welcome to the group!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar that buckle.... have mercy.
    And yes, the dr. explained that my IT band is apparently really important. He said it's the thing that keeps the whole thing together. - In so many words. I told him I got the foam roller but that thing is straight from the devil. It's a torture device.

Interestingly, I just saw on my instagram feed yesterday that Courtney Dewaulter suffered an injury from not paying close enough attention to her post-run recovery. Apparently, it was a HIP problem........

@PastorVincent hahahahaha you're HILARIOUS. Also, while I was on the phone with IT, we were talking about a show called The IT Crowd. You should absolutely watch it. Or youtube the clip "What does IT stand for?" It's an uproar, I tell ya. I couldn't stop laughing.

@Avidkeo welcome to my life. I eat really, REALLY well. MOST of the time. For the first day and a half after a long run I try not to go too crazy, but I still go a little crazy, and then for the days after that, I try to be extremely disciplined. I even bought ghee as a butter replacement... we'll see on that one.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent hahahahaha you're HILARIOUS. Also, while I was on the phone with IT, we were talking about a show called The IT Crowd. You should absolutely watch it. Or youtube the clip "What does IT stand for?" It's an uproar, I tell ya. I couldn't stop laughing.
    I will try to find that clip tonight. Assuming I remember :)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I own 3 long sleeve shirts, that's it. I will not buy another one but I'm going to look into getting a pair of those arm sleeves. I can't count how many times I've worn a sweatshirt over a t-shirt and had to waist tie it after I got hot.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 1) Is the Marathon one you've run before? 2) What were your previous times?

I'm fooling with the notion of running one in each state, so I haven't done any repeats. They were similar, at 4:55:16 and 4:57:something. The first one, the wheels came off at 18 miles and I walked a LOT of the rest. The second one I didn't take seriously enough after around mile 11 - I don't even know what my problem was. It hurt less, but I was very disappointed in myself. I don't think 4:30 is likely, this time around, but I haven't given up hope for a PR, anyway.
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 I had to do the same thing with the ZombiesRun! transcripts. I don't think that I would like listening to audio books or podcast while running because sometimes I zone out and sometimes I can't hear. It doesn't bother me with music and since ZombiesRun is just clips I can usually pay attention to what they are saying for that short amount of time, but occasionally I still miss the dialog. The music that I listen to is pretty ecclectic, but there is definitly some heavy metal in there. I also just looked up Oi! on Spotify and have been listening to that. I think there will soon be some Irish punk music on there as well. It is different than what I usually listen to, but there is definitely a fast beat to it.

Some of it turns out to be too slow for me, and some is even too fast! I use Audacity to adjust the tempo. Sometimes it makes the music sound weird or just doesn't work out. And I can't listen to Fallout Boy's "Uma Thurman" at the correct tempo anymore. It sounds WAY too slow.

@Camaramandy648 I LOVE the IT Crowd! British Comedy is fantastic.

I completed 17 of the 18 miles I wanted. My legs want to fall off. I don't know if a single day would make a difference. From 15 to 18 was the biggest jump in long run mileage, so I'm going to accept that. There may have been some muscle cramping. Next week I'll put in the salt. I think I read something that suggested maybe 3 grams. Or pickle juice. I like pickle juice, but I don't know if it will clash horribly with the Kool-Aid. I don't mean to add pickle juice to the Kool-Aid. I'd drink them separate.

exercise.png

@autumnblade75 SO IN ARKANSAS, AND IN GEORGIA, AND APPARENTLY IN LOUISIANA, SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO KOOL AID PICKLES AND LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM

https://tornadoughalli.com/kool-aid-pickles/

I found out about this at one of my first jobs when I moved here and someone had a "leaving the company" party. I did not love them, but they were not the worst.

Maybe you could do a chemistry experiment with whatever part sugar, whatever part salt, etc. :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,963 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar Hint about this site. If you want the images to only show up under the "spoiler" tab, you have to upload them with your cursor between the two spoiler brackets.... [spoilxx] insert image here [/spoilxx] (I didn't spell out spoiler so the bracketed words would show.) Hope that makes sense.

Love the pictures, by the way. You really look like you are enjoying it!!!

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/20 :::: 7.8 :::: 7.8
    02/02/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.9
    02/03/20 :::: 3.8 :::: 14.7
    02/04/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 16.7
    02/05/20 :::: 2.2 :::: 19.0
    02/06/20 :::: 1.4 :::: 20.4
    02/07/20 :::: 7.0 :::: 27.4
    02/08/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 29.1
    02/09/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 31.2
    02/10/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 34.3
    02/11/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 37.7
    02/12/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 40.1
    02/13/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 42.0
    02/14/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 43.6
    02/15/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 47.6
    02/16/20 :::: 9.1 :::: 56.7
    02/17/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 60.7
    02/18/20 :::: 1.4 :::: 62.1
    02/19/20 :::: 2.7 :::: 64.8
    02/20/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 66.8

A couple more treadmill miles this morning before strength training. It was a pretty low key training today with strength but no cardio (it's a hybrid training so often/usually includes both). Some pull-up work which we haven't done in training for a while but I've continued to work on it on my own every day. Slow progress, but progress is being made!

@LoveyChar those pictures are great! Is that the start or do you not sweat at all when you run :)

Thanks for the comments on my identity "crisis" post @TheMrWobbly, @LoveyChar, @bearly63 and @quilteryoyo.
    Is your goal to run the fastest race your body can run? Is your goal health? Is your goal to have fun? Is your goal just to eat more cake? ;)

Yes to the cake goal! :) Very true about goals, and mine are shifting for sure. I think taking on new challenges is important to me, and being strong enough to do it. Last year I thought I wanted to set PRs for 5k and HM distances at least. Now, well, not that so much. I do like thinking of myself as an athlete - strange terrority for sure, but good.
    bearly63 wrote: »
    They all provide something to me mentally and physically.

Yes, this! I think the mental aspect of doing other things is huge. Running can be a real mind game for me so doing mixing it up really helps and makes it more fun. I like solving the puzzles of rock climbing and the meditative aspects of yoga and mace workouts. It's great stress relief.
    You are a strong woman determined to stay a strong woman!
    Thank you so much! Yes, now that I'm here and have made so much progress I want to keep working and stay strong.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @LoveyChar Hint about this site. If you want the images to only show up under the "spoiler" tab, you have to upload them with your cursor between the two spoiler brackets.... [spoilxx] insert image here [/spoilxx] (I didn't spell out spoiler so the bracketed words would show.) Hope that makes sense.

Love the pictures, by the way. You really look like you are enjoying it!!!

Hahahaha, thank you...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/20 :::: 7.8 :::: 7.8
    02/02/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.9
    02/03/20 :::: 3.8 :::: 14.7
    02/04/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 16.7
    02/05/20 :::: 2.2 :::: 19.0
    02/06/20 :::: 1.4 :::: 20.4
    02/07/20 :::: 7.0 :::: 27.4
    02/08/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 29.1
    02/09/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 31.2
    02/10/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 34.3
    02/11/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 37.7
    02/12/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 40.1
    02/13/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 42.0
    02/14/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 43.6
    02/15/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 47.6
    02/16/20 :::: 9.1 :::: 56.7
    02/17/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 60.7
    02/18/20 :::: 1.4 :::: 62.1
    02/19/20 :::: 2.7 :::: 64.8
    02/20/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 66.8

A couple more treadmill miles this morning before strength training. It was a pretty low key training today with strength but no cardio (it's a hybrid training so often/usually includes both). Some pull-up work which we haven't done in training for a while but I've continued to work on it on my own every day. Slow progress, but progress is being made!

@LoveyChar those pictures are great! Is that the start or do you not sweat at all when you run :)

Thanks for the comments on my identity "crisis" post @TheMrWobbly, @LoveyChar, @bearly63 and @quilteryoyo.
    Is your goal to run the fastest race your body can run? Is your goal health? Is your goal to have fun? Is your goal just to eat more cake? ;)

Yes to the cake goal! :) Very true about goals, and mine are shifting for sure. I think taking on new challenges is important to me, and being strong enough to do it. Last year I thought I wanted to set PRs for 5k and HM distances at least. Now, well, not that so much. I do like thinking of myself as an athlete - strange terrority for sure, but good.
    bearly63 wrote: »
    They all provide something to me mentally and physically.

Yes, this! I think the mental aspect of doing other things is huge. Running can be a real mind game for me so doing mixing it up really helps and makes it more fun. I like solving the puzzles of rock climbing and the meditative aspects of yoga and mace workouts. It's great stress relief.
    You are a strong woman determined to stay a strong woman!
    Thank you so much! Yes, now that I'm here and have made so much progress I want to keep working and stay strong.

I spikled water down the front of myself but other than that, I was completely dry. Funny you'd notice that. Even my husband asked, "how did you not sweat?"
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648
    Glad that you got good news....when I roll my IT bands, I swear like a sailor but it always feels good after 😜🤬