Can I gain muscle without gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    an untrained person can gain muscle while on a deficit. a person who was not training properly can gain muscle while on a deficit if the persons starts working out properly. a person whose macros were were not optimal for muscle building can gain muscle while on a cut if the person starts to use correct macros.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Agree with baptiste565, ninerbuff, BeachGingerOn and others. It isn't impossible, it is however very VERY difficult, and it takes great attention to nutritional macros and exercise composition (a huge amount of resistive and some cardio, which translated to me is about 12 hours a week in the gym). I am speaking from experience... I'm doing it. I'm a returning athlete who was obese and I rely heavily on supplements. I'm running an approximate average daily deficit of 500-700 calories, loosing approximately 0.5-1 pound per week, loosing approximately 2% body fat per month (based upon OMRON readings - there is some uncertainty with this method). I concentrate more on the re-composition aspect rather than the scales at this point (although I am still tracking weight with %BF and physical tape measurements on a weekly basis). It takes time and lots of work!

34277608.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    "You can't gain muscle without eating at a surplus"

This is absolutely the number one biggest bit of bro science that I see every day. Absolutely you can. Not as much, and not as quickly, but you very much can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Caveat: It's not easy.

If you are eating at a slight deficit, and are working out with weights heavy enough to be in the 2-8 rep range before failure, and are getting enough protein (THIS IS KEY) then you will gain strength and muscle.

You don't need to eat at a surplus, but you do need to take in enough protein. How much is enough? That's up for debate and is another hotbed of bro science. I tend to err on the side of caution and take in about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (which you can find calculators to estimate for you).

Eating gobs of food to make up a huge surplus is the reason why a lot of gym people get into harmful bulk/cut cycles. You don't need to put on a pound of fat for every pound of muscle, then lose muscle trying to burn that fat off. It's dumb, and I don't get why people think it's the right way to do it.

The calories you burn working out and generally living will come from the food you eat first, and when that runs out, your body will attack fat stores, and only when those are gone (or nearly gone) will it work on metabolizing muscle tissue. Unless you're eating at a severe deficit, your body will have enough calories from the food you eat and the fat you have on you to use the protein you're eating to repair damage. It won't be as fast, or efficient as putting on muscle while you are swimming with calories from eating a lumberjack's diet, but it will go on.

If you are eating at a severe deficit, about the most you can hope for is that the lifting you do will offset the loss of muscle, but if you can find a balance (that's the hard part), then you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Note, you will not do either quickly. If you are looking to crash your fat, or bulk up in a hurry, you should probably concentrate on one or the other. If you're happy to make a lifestyle change to lift heavy and eat right for the foreseeable future, then you absolutely, 100%, assuredly CAN lose fat and gain muscle.

You just hit the nail on the head and proved that all Mr Olympia contenders are doing it wrong! Can't wait to see you up on stage in 5 weeks man!
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    What is up with females and weight!!!

BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION >
    THROW AWAY YOUR CHIT USELESS SCALE!!!

As a (formerly skinny fat) female who used to be obsessed with the scale, I COMPLETELY agree with this!!!

THIS! Heavy lifting changed my life (& my body-- for the better)

Agree!!! I lift and don't worry about the number on the scale... I don't think I look manly. Lift Big Eat Big
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options

As a (formerly skinny fat) female who used to be obsessed with the scale, I COMPLETELY agree with this!!!

Word.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

THIS! Heavy lifting changed my life (& my body-- for the better)

Add another to this list! I used to be 102 pounds and was flabby and unhappy. I gained 8-10 pounds and am in much better shape, eat more, and am happier. Still wearing same clothes! I would not waste your time and spin your wheels doing that stupid Jm dvd. You're already in good enough shape to start really lifting.
  • Jeannie_Bug
    Options
    Last time I was into fitness and strength training, I lost a LOT of fat. I went from a size 20 to a size 13; but as far as my weight went, I only went from 210 to 180 pounds. *180 pounds and size 13.* I'm 5'6" with a medium build.

Muscle definitely weighs more than fat, but it is soooo much leaner. Unless you need to be at a certain weight (for certain classes of sports, like boxing, for instance) don't worry about the scale.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Can I lose fat and muscle without losing weight? Yes! and NO!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm at 110 pounds and my ultimate goal weight is 105. I just started 30 Day Shred and I'm going to actively try to gain muscle. However, I still want to get down to 105. Is it possible or am I going to see scale increases because muscle weighs more than fat?

Btw, I'm 5'2" and I usually eat ~1300 on average. I haven't eaten too many more calories to account for the 30 Day Shred...yet!

Firstly, at 110lbs unless you're a gerbil, it's time to ignore the scales! Focus on bodyfat%. If you get your eating right, with a decent training system, you will probably end up being heavier. Oh no!

Since December 2012, I've been carb/calorie cycling and have built muscle without gaining fat. It's much slower than just committing to a proper bulk but I'm in it for the long run so don't mind if my muscle size builds more slowly.

Right now, I weight the same as I did 18 months ago but my physique is different. The only scales I'd be interested in are kitchen scales.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    The most important number on a scale.................................................how much does that bacon weigh?

254222_500502566677505_631093023_n.jpg

now /thread

*drools*
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Train for a look, not a number.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)

Just remember to progressively increase the weights and you will see results. Good luck.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Was just going to add something to this effect. Why is 105 so important? Who cares how much you weigh as long as you look the way you want?
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would focus on inches not weight. You can gain weight, yet be smaller than you were at a lighter weight.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Was just going to add something to this effect. Why is 105 so important? Who cares how much you weigh as long as you look the way you want?

TBH I only date girls who weight 106.73 lbs.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    okay so it seems that the answer to the OP's question is up for debate. What i am more concerned about is whether i can maintain muscle while losing weight. If i eat/net 1500 calories a day, would you say that is enough to lose only minimal muscle?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    okay so it seems that the answer to the OP's question is up for debate. What i am more concerned about is whether i can maintain muscle while losing weight. If i eat/net 1500 calories a day, would you say that is enough to lose only minimal muscle?

If you are also lifting weights/resistance training then yes, you can can keep the lean muscle you already have. Or at least most of it. I started my weight loss while lifting weights and I maintained the majority of my lean muscle while losing fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

What is your TDEE? How much protein are you eating? Are you lifting weights? What kind of program? Are you progressively increasing the weight you do?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options

All I will say in addition to my previous reply (on the third page) is this:
    For me, since July 22 to today, based upon physician grade scales and OMERON I have gained 1.99 pounds of lean body mass and lost 9.99 pounds of fat body mass. I'm currently maintaining 1,500 calories for off days and about 2,200 calories for my workout days. I'm not a nutritionist, professional body builder, trainer, etc. (although I did go through quite a bit of school for Sports Medicine). I simply convey what works for me and what truths I have been able to find.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    people with excellent muscle tone might weigh more, but they will often fit into smaller clothes than people who weigh the same but have no muscle tone. don't worry about the number, stay focused on being fit and you will achieve the best body for you.