Dad bod to not so dad bod!!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    My own program really just bench press, shoulder press, row or pull ups and squat

Do you have access to a gym?

If yes, I would look into a structured beginner program like strong lifts or 5x5
  • Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    My own program really just bench press, shoulder press, row or pull ups and squat

Do you have access to a gym?

If yes, I would look into a structured beginner program like strong lifts or 5x5

No access to gym as uk in lockdown currently so just got bench, barbell and dumbbells
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Lots of advice on here. I don’t think it’s all accurate. You shouldn’t eat whatever you want. Nutrition is more of a science than what people think.

And when you eat (timing) can be important as well. You should definitely know what kind of body type you have. There’s only three.

If your into building muscle, you’ll need to ensure you’re getting adequate protein daily. But balance each meal with appropriate amount of carbs based on your activity levels. Use fats to fill in the gap, but I don’t know anyone who’s serious about gaining a for physique eating more than 20% of their diet in fats.

some things never change..
    giphy.gif

lets clarify...

You can eat what you like provided that you are hitting your macros and micros
    Timing is not really that big of a thing; however, there is some evidence that having largest meal post workout can be beneficial.
    Fat does not make you fat, and there is nothing wrong with a macro split with 30% fats...

Have a look at the latest study on meal timings, it’s seems to show that the bro’s are correct in splitting protein intake into 4-5 spaced out meals

From the Yasuda study 2020
    lgxcu2sztzwr.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Lots of advice on here. I don’t think it’s all accurate. You shouldn’t eat whatever you want. Nutrition is more of a science than what people think.

And when you eat (timing) can be important as well. You should definitely know what kind of body type you have. There’s only three.

If your into building muscle, you’ll need to ensure you’re getting adequate protein daily. But balance each meal with appropriate amount of carbs based on your activity levels. Use fats to fill in the gap, but I don’t know anyone who’s serious about gaining a for physique eating more than 20% of their diet in fats.

some things never change..
    giphy.gif

lets clarify...

You can eat what you like provided that you are hitting your macros and micros
    Timing is not really that big of a thing; however, there is some evidence that having largest meal post workout can be beneficial.
    Fat does not make you fat, and there is nothing wrong with a macro split with 30% fats...

Have a look at the latest study on meal timings, it’s seems to show that the bro’s are correct in splitting protein intake into 4-5 spaced out meals

From the Yasuda study 2020
    lgxcu2sztzwr.jpeg

Link to full study?
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Bench x3
    Shoulder press x3
    Pull ups x3
    Squat x3
    Increased reps on all exercises 😃
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Hi Matthew,

I’m in a similar position to you. UK-based and trying to fix my dad bod. I lost 2-stone in Autumn following a threat of statins. I’m 6ft 4 so that’s not as drastic as it sounds, but was still left feeling skinny. I’ve been doing the Bigger Leaner Stronger program and am enjoying it. It is tricky with limited home equipment though.

I’ve been eating a slight surplus since Christmas and have gained a bit back (including Christmas baggage). Now I’m about 16% body fat by my reckoning and am making up my mind on strategy for next steps.

Anyways, I’m new to the forums so thought I’d introduce myself as we’re in a similar position. Good luck with the program.

Dave
  • Gymladmatt
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Hi Matthew,

I’m in a similar position to you. UK-based and trying to fix my dad bod. I lost 2-stone in Autumn following a threat of statins. I’m 6ft 4 so that’s not as drastic as it sounds, but was still left feeling skinny. I’ve been doing the Bigger Leaner Stronger program and am enjoying it. It is tricky with limited home equipment though.

I’ve been eating a slight surplus since Christmas and have gained a bit back (including Christmas baggage). Now I’m about 16% body fat by my reckoning and am making up my mind on strategy for next steps.

Anyways, I’m new to the forums so thought I’d introduce myself as we’re in a similar position. Good luck with the program.

Dave

Hi Dave. Could you post the training plan you are doing please? 16% body fat is good so you must be lean??
  • Gymladmatt
    181rl0k6ny07.jpeg
  • davew0000
    edited January 2021
    I’m doing the Bigger Leaner Stronger 4-day plan. I also have one PT session a week where we tend to focus on upper body (trainer has a lockup with some equipment at the park) and I go for a short run on a Sunday.

BLS 4-day program focuses on different areas each day on a weekly cycle: (1) Push and core; (2) Pull and Calves; (3) Upper body and core; (4) Legs

For most exercises you should aim for 3x 4-6 reps and increase weight if you get 6 with good form. With limited equipment I’m having to just progress on more reps.

(1) push and core
    bench press
    incline bench press
    dumbbell bench press
    cable crunch (I do planks mostly)

(2) Pull and calves
    Dead lift
    One-arm dumbbell row
    Lat pull down (I do chin-ups)
    Leg press calf raise (I skip)

(3) Upper body and core
    Close grip bench press
    Side lateral raises
    Front lateral raises
    Captain’s chair leg raise (I do leg raises)

(4) Legs
    Barbell squat
    Leg press (I do more squats)
    Leg curl (I do Russian deadlifts)
    Seated calf raise (I balance a dumbbell on my knee)

Deadlifts are a struggle at home as I don’t have the equipment. I’ve got a pair of 25kg dumbbells so have to make do with those and just do lots of reps, which doesn’t feel optimal. Same with squats.

I’ll see about sorting some progress photos.
  • Gymladmatt
    I’m doing the Bigger Leaner Stronger 4-day plan. I also have one PT session a week where we tend to focus on upper body (trainer has a lockup with some equipment at the park) and I go for a short run on a Sunday.

BLS 4-day program focuses on different areas each day on a weekly cycle: (1) Push and core; (2) Pull and Calves; (3) Upper body and core; (4) Legs

For most exercises you should aim for 3x 4-6 reps and increase weight if you get 6 with good form. With limited equipment I’m having to just progress on more reps.

(1) push and core
    bench press
    incline bench press
    dumbbell bench press
    cable crunch (I do planks mostly)

(2) Pull and calves
    Dead lift
    One-arm dumbbell row
    Lat pull down (I do chin-ups)
    Leg press calf raise (I skip)

(3) Upper body and core
    Close grip bench press
    Side lateral raises
    Front lateral raises
    Captain’s chair leg raise (I do leg raises)

(4) Legs
    Barbell squat
    Leg press (I do more squats)
    Leg curl (I do Russian deadlifts)
    Seated calf raise (I balance a dumbbell on my knee)

Deadlifts are a struggle at home as I don’t have the equipment. I’ve got a pair of 25kg dumbbells so have to make do with those and just do lots of reps, which doesn’t feel optimal. Same with squats.

I’ll see about sorting some progress photos.

Cheers for the training routine looks good may implement some of it into my workouts
  • davew0000
    Seems strange to be posting semi-clothed pictures on a public forum but hey ho, let’s go for it.

Here’s near my starting point and a couple of months into the weight loss phase. My weight was about 103kg (16st 2lbs) at the start in September and a waist of 40.5 inches. I got ill in November (COVID-like but apparently not) and the weight shed off at a slightly alarming rate.

48443ktvnutw.jpeg

I only seem to be able to post one photo so I’ll make another post in a moment.

• davew0000
    Here’s latest. I think in the 16-18% body fat range. I calculated 17% today with Jackson Pollark 3-point. I think I need to reduce calories slightly as i may be gaining a bit more fat than I’d like, but it feels too early to say.

3e4ql3r5yw49.jpeg
  • Gymladmatt
    Here’s latest. I think in the 16-18% body fat range. I calculated 17% today with Jackson Pollark 3-point. I think I need to reduce calories slightly as i may be gaining a bit more fat than I’d like, but it feels too early to say.

3e4ql3r5yw49.jpeg

Looking good pal 👍
  • Gymladmatt
    Pre night shift workout
    Squat x3
    Bench x3
    Row x3
    Short and simple quick session
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member

Keep going!
  • Gymladmatt
    sme69fv55o8q.jpeg
    Lovely protein bar these better than a chocolate bar from works vending machine 😂