March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @LoveyChar US results are showing that younger and non-immune compromised people aren't an insignificant number of the people being hospitalized with serious complications. So if we decide to let this virus go through 80% of the population quickly, it's unlikely the rest of us will be "carrying on," we'll be grieving for previously healthy loved ones who died because there were not enough medical resources to help everyone recover.

The flu is such that people run to the doctor in fear and it's a virus, which passes in healthy people and this is also what happens with this newest virus. My middle child had the flu when she was a toddler, and I rushed her to the doctor who told me that she had a different strain than the one she was vaccinated from. She passed the virus. Now when my kids, to include my little guy, get a bug or virus, I don't rush to the doctor. I don't. But you have people that get a paper cut or something of the sort and go to the emergency room and unfortunately, you will have people left and right flood emergency rooms for little to nothing. Even in healthy people, this passes with time. I don't believe everything the media is putting out. They are over- embellishing and want you to live in fear.

I also don't want to believe that people under 60 and without underlying conditions are, in some cases, in serious condition and even dying from this at a rate that is apparently different than the flu, but I do accept that this is happening. At the end of the day, we all have to decide whether or not we believe this is actually happening or if it is imaginary and we all have to decide how much risk we're willing to assume on behalf of other people.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar US results are showing that younger and non-immune compromised people aren't an insignificant number of the people being hospitalized with serious complications. So if we decide to let this virus go through 80% of the population quickly, it's unlikely the rest of us will be "carrying on," we'll be grieving for previously healthy loved ones who died because there were not enough medical resources to help everyone recover.

The flu is such that people run to the doctor in fear and it's a virus, which passes in healthy people and this is also what happens with this newest virus. My middle child had the flu when she was a toddler, and I rushed her to the doctor who told me that she had a different strain than the one she was vaccinated from. She passed the virus. Now when my kids, to include my little guy, get a bug or virus, I don't rush to the doctor. I don't. But you have people that get a paper cut or something of the sort and go to the emergency room and unfortunately, you will have people left and right flood emergency rooms for little to nothing. Even in healthy people, this passes with time. I don't believe everything the media is putting out. They are over- embellishing and want you to live in fear.

I also don't want to believe that people under 60 and without underlying conditions are, in some cases, in serious condition and even dying from this at a rate that is apparently different than the flu, but I do accept that this is happening. At the end of the day, we all have to decide whether or not we believe this is actually happening or if it is imaginary and we all have to decide how much risk we're willing to assume on behalf of other people.

If you are fearful, lock yourself up and stay away from others. Tell others to stay away from you! IT'S SIMPLE, super sweet simplicity but not everyone comprehends it, unfortunately, no matter how you break it down. It's real, but whether you choose to live or not to live in fear of it IS a choice. I'll respect others and keep social distance from them. But as far as I'm concerned, if someone crosses my path two feet away as they decide to walk by, I'm not worried not one bit. I'll smile at them and say "hi"and carry on with my day.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

If you are fearful, lock yourself up and stay away from others. Tell others to stay away from you! IT'S SIMPLE, super sweet simplicity but not everyone comprehends it, unfortunately, no matter how you break it down. It's real, but whether you choose to live or not to live in fear of it IS a choice. I'll respect others and keep social distance from them. But as far as I'm concerned, if someone crosses my path two feet away as they decide to walk by, I'm not worried not one bit. I'll smile at them and say "hi"and carry on with my day.

I guess I see a difference between "living in fear" and "being aware of potential dangers."

When I'm riding in a car, I put on my seat belt. This isn't because I'm living in fear, but because I choose to mitigate risks. Same with social distancing right now. For me right now, working from home and avoiding unnecessary contact with others are simple risk mitigation and they're matching the recommendations of health experts. But I'm still smiling and greeting people, I can do that while maintaining a six foot distance.

I think it would be great if we someday look back and say "Wow, we really freaked out over nothing," but the picture from New York City right now makes it look like this isn't going to be "nothing" for everyone.

I do think we agree that it's important to remain connected to people in some way, little things like greeting people and smiling can go a long way in these times. I live in an apartment building and I don't want to see us treating each other like strangers (and that hasn't happened, at least in my building).

I'm not even reading this. If you have a reason to be concerned, take precautions to protect yourself. That's all I have to say. Protect yourself.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    JFC This isn't the flu. It's a completely different virus. It's SARS. People are *kitten* dying all over the world. The media is not overhyping this. It's *kitten* serious.

I haven't left my house since last Wednesday except to run, alone and crossing the street when others are out. I have asthma so I am at significantly higher risk. My celiac disease makes me more susceptible to pneumonia a symptom of covid-19. I've been vaccinated for pneumonia BUT celiac disease can make vaccinations not work fully as the would in someone without. I am taking every *kitten* precaution because this is *kitten* real and awful and I don't want it. I had pneumonia at 24. It was AWFUL and this is worse. I wouldn't even wish pneumonia on my worse enemy.

But sounds like some people just prefer to stick their head in the sand much like the government of my state. And this is why I am staying home. Because others don't *kitten* get it.

Correct, it's not the flu and you definitely should stay home, good choice!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I had no idea that celiac made people more susceptible to pneumonia. Best wishes for staying safe.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I had no idea that celiac made people more susceptible to pneumonia. Best wishes for staying safe.

Neither did I until last week. Lol

They don't think controlled cases of celiac are more susceptible to covid19 but only to pneumonia if you happen to get covid19. I haven't had gluten in 5 years so I'm good there.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    JFC This isn't the flu. It's a completely different virus. It's SARS. People are *kitten* dying all over the world. The media is not overhyping this. It's *kitten* serious.

I haven't left my house since last Wednesday except to run, alone and crossing the street when others are out. I have asthma so I am at significantly higher risk. My celiac disease makes me more susceptible to pneumonia a symptom of covid-19. I've been vaccinated for pneumonia BUT celiac disease can make vaccinations not work fully as the would in someone without. I am taking every *kitten* precaution because this is *kitten* real and awful and I don't want it. I had pneumonia at 24. It was AWFUL and this is worse. I wouldn't even wish pneumonia on my worse enemy.

But sounds like some people just prefer to stick their head in the sand much like the government of my state. And this is why I am staying home. Because others don't *kitten* get it.

And that's why everyone should be taking these precautions. It's called herd immunity. Its why all people that can be vaccinated for say the flu should be to help those that can't. But too many people are selfish and don't get that.
  • LoveyChar
    edited March 2020
    Options

And that's why everyone should be taking these precautions. It's called herd immunity. Its why all people that can be vaccinated for say the flu should be to help those that can't. But too many people are selfish and don't get that.

I am NOT against vaccinations but it should be up to each individual person to decide for themselves whether they want to get them or not. To make it mandatory or a law is unjust and a violation of people's rights. I vaccinate, but that's my choice and for those that choose not to, I respect their rights and choice. It's not selfishness.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I am NOT against vaccinations but it should be up to each individual person to decide for themselves whether they want to get them or not. To make it mandatory or a law is unjust and a violation of people's rights. I vaccinate, but that's my choice and for those that choose not to, I respect their rights and choice. It's not selfishness.

You completely missed my point. But whatever. I can't argue with people that don't get how serious this is, how many people will die and how we all have to do our part. Or that doesn't get herd immunity. Nowhere did I say it should be mandatory. I said PEOPLE THAT CAN SHOULD BECAUSE OTHERS LITERALLY CANNOT GET THE SHOT. You clearly are just seeing what you want. I'm done with this thread. This is *kitten* ridiculous.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

You completely missed my point. But whatever. I can't argue with people that don't get how serious this is, how many people will die and how we all have to do our part. Or that doesn't get herd immunity. Nowhere did I say it should be mandatory. I said PEOPLE THAT CAN SHOULD BECAUSE OTHERS LITERALLY CANNOT GET THE SHOT. You clearly are just seeing what you want. I'm done with this thread. This is *kitten* ridiculous.

I get all of it but choose not to argue with ignorance. Protect yourself. I agree 100% with you that you should not leave your house; I am glad you are taking precautions.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Aired up stroller tires and it made a world of difference. 3.5 running miles and 1 walking mile before the 89 degrees hits today. Now off to mow the grass!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo @LoveyChar I like true crime sometimes. It gets dark and it’s just dumb the reasons people find to do others in. But... dh told me our local loco joe exotic has a series on in Netflix. Swore I wouldn’t watch it, but heck, I’m gonna queue it up momentarily. It’s called Tiger King if anyone’s interested in some real stupidity/ true crime.

Oh wow! I'm on a board on FB for the band Clutch (one of my fave bands!) and they have been blowing up the board about this show because I guess the main guy in it wears Clutch shirts. I thought it was a new series, didn't know it was a true crime, might have to check it out now.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

You know what, I'm done being polite. I know others have replied and far more eloquentluly than im about to. I run the risk of upsetting some people for rocking the boat but I no longer care.

I am a radiographer. I work in a busy main centre hospital. I have no choice but go to work. We are starting to get patients through with covid and they are SICK. I don't mean a little unwell for a few days. I mean Sick.

We have 16 ICU beds in our hospital. We are currently at the very beginning of this crisis. Currently 5 of them are being used by long term non covid patients. 1 is a lady who has been here months, I have seen here so so sick it's not funny. Whole body swollen, lips cracked, eyes bulging, red and yellow and blood shot. Completely unable to move and respond. She is finally able to breathe mostly unassisted but still needs a lot of care.

She has had to be moved out of her high care room to make way for a corona patient. And if she gets it, she is dead.

Another guy is in for spinal injuries sustained in an MVA over the weekend. Hes only 20, if he gets it he is dead.

My 6 Yr old and my self have asthma. If we get it, we are likely to need ICU support. But there are only 16 beds. If they are all taken, where will we go?

So the lock downs and isolating the population has NOTHING to do with you getting the virus. I couldn't give a toss if you get it, you will be fine. But @elise4270 and @PastorVincent and others who have other health conditions (sorry to point you out, but you are prominent named I can think of while rage typing) if THEY Get it, then they are at huge risk of being very sick. And if everyone gets it at the same time, then the healthcare system - regardless of your country - will be overwhelmed and will not be able to care for them who fo you choose to save.

So the reason you are staying at home is to stop the virus spreading so fast. It's going to spread. We know that. We can't stop that. But we can slow it.

So shut up with its just a flu. We worry about the flu every year too.

So go read some news that isn't fox, listen to what healthcare providers and scientists are telling you and *kitten* stay at home for the benefit of everyone.

ETA read some of your replies. OK you are selfish. Doing things for yourself but not others. OK. Fine. I know now there is nothing anyone can say that will get you to understand why entire countries are locking everything down. The fist time Ever the world's government's, western or Eastern, mostly agree on something.

I'm definitely not being selfish. Like everyone else, I'm limited to running; I go nowhere. Everything else is shut down. I'm not insensitive to sick people. As I mentioned before I do keep social distance. As I said twice before, I do keep social distance. No it's not the flu; you're correct.