March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @hamsterwheel6 Truth! I am relegated to the kitchen table now that hubs took over the office....I am staring at the pantry as we speak and those Mediterranean veggie chips are calling me.....again. Not good.

Virtual high five on that...I'm with ya! Another reason I need to keep running. LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber love the pics! Beautiful!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Wow - great pictures! Hobbes looks like he is saying "More food, less bird watching!"

HA! Totally see that. And love the pics. Sadly the crowds will get worse as this wears on into better weather.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,990 Member
    Options
    Nice pictures @shanaber. I agree with @janejellyroll . Hobbes is wanting either more food or more running and less bird watching. He does look a little bit annoyed. :wink:
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Where is that trail? Very cool pics of the bird. And Hobbes has on his game face. Love it.

The ring tail cat scared the *kitten* out of me when I approached the cage...she or he lunged and bared its teeth. I aged like 5 years. Reminded me of the scene from Elf when he tries to hug the raccoon. Not cool!

@Camaramandy648 Hope the IT band improves! How do you cook beets? Roast them? I need to try some.

3/1 -7 miles - ouch😆
    3/2 -Yoga
    3/3 -Strength training/cycle
    3/4 – Cardio Medley – Rower,Stairstepper,Bike,Elliptical
    3/5 – 6 mile walk
    3/6 – Strength/PT circuit, cycle
    3/7 – 2.7 mile walk/ Power Yoga
    3/8 – 6.1 mile walk, very slow pace
    3/9-3/12 - Denied, Moped, complained,
    3/13 – Cycled for 4 miles, slow pace
    3/14 – Going to try a Peloton at their store
    3/15 – Cycled 8.5 miles on my running trail
    3/16 – Cycled 6 miles at gym
    3/17 – Nuttin
    3/18 – Cycled 6 miles/rowed for 10 min.
    3/19 – Cycled 6 miles
    3/20 - Cycled 15 miles
    3/21 – Cycled 5 miles
    3/22 - Cycled 8 miles
    3/23 – Cycled 6.5 miles
    3/24 – Cycled 12 miles
    3/25 – Cycled 11 miles
    3/26 – Cycled 7 miles
    3/27 – Cycled 15 miles
    3/28 – Cycled 20 miles
    3/29 – Cycled 7 miles
    3/30 – Cycled 20 miles
    3/31 – Cycled 15.5 miles
    Total Run/Walk Mileage: 21.8
    Total Bike/Row Mileage: 172.5 miles Made it to Houston....go Astros!⭐
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 - yep they are cute 'wild' animals!
    The trail is along the Santa Ana river about a mile or less from my house. Do you remember the Santa Ana River bike trail? It is across on the other side of the river - if you look at the bird pictures, the bike trail is right above the cement at the top of the rocks on the opposite side.
    Not sure if these places, streets will be any that you remember... They created another short trail on the Anaheim side of the river initially from Lincoln to Ball (1.5 miles) and now an extension from Lincoln to near Glassell and the 91 fwy and they are working on a further extension north, possibly (eventually) connecting with the bike trail in Yorba Linda.
    Where I took the picture is actually on the service road for the water district. We used to run it before the trail was put in and not too many people go out there - they stick to the actual trail
    Here's a picture that shows the trail near my house and I have indicated where the dirt service road is in relation to the trail. The actual river and then the bike trail are beyond the dirt but you can't see them in this picture. The visible water is part of the bird preserve and is drawn off the river. It also replenishes the underground water supply.
    8rufjxoy1bzt.jpeg
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

The ring tail cat scared the *kitten* out of me when I approached the cage...she or he lunged and bared its teeth. I aged like 5 years. Reminded me of the scene from Elf when he tries to hug the raccoon. Not cool!

I love the ringtail! It looks so nervous. “I think I ate the wrong marshmallow...” I didn’t realize they lived in North America, silly me.

This is our raccoon baby from last spring waiting with my husband at the vet’s office. His momma was apparently killed by a dog, his brother had to be put to sleep with injuries, and he had a broken leg. We got him into a foster home with lots of other raccoons and he did well and was released. But... surprise ending! Apparently male raccoons sometimes travel as far as 18 miles. And so did this guy. A raccoon with a limp walked right up to me in my backyard and said hi. He hung around a few days, then later we saw him with a lady friend, then we didn’t see him again. But I wonder if the ones in the storeroom are his gf’s babies.
    3lkouf4air0v.jpeg

Note that we don’t have raccoon rabies in our area. If you live in an area with raccoon rabies definitely don’t do this.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I love the ringtail! It looks so nervous. “I think I ate the wrong marshmallow...” I didn’t realize they lived in North America, silly me.

This is our raccoon baby from last spring waiting with my husband at the vet’s office. His momma was apparently killed by a dog, his brother had to be put to sleep with injuries, and he had a broken leg. We got him into a foster home with lots of other raccoons and he did well and was released. But... surprise ending! Apparently male raccoons sometimes travel as far as 18 miles. And so did this guy. A raccoon with a limp walked right up to me in my backyard and said hi. He hung around a few days, then later we saw him with a lady friend, then we didn’t see him again. But I wonder if the ones in the storeroom are his gf’s babies.
    3lkouf4air0v.jpeg

Note that we don’t have raccoon rabies in our area. If you live in an area with raccoon rabies definitely don’t do this.

Awwww great story.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 beets are apparently sooooooooooo good for you! The greens too!

I chopped the greens off and put them in a bowl with spinach and kale. Sautéed that in chicken broth, olive oil, and added some mushrooms and black and white beans. You can add anything you want - onions! Bacon!

For the beets, i chopped them along with some carrots and onions and garlic cloves and butternut squash - toss in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Delish.

I actually ended up mixing the greens and the roasted vegetables because, why not? I’m a savage and it’s the end of the world, so who cares. I even wore a tee shirt and converse sneakers to work! ROTFL

Seriously though, I am trying to be consistently plant based (as much as I can - i still have eggs and a tiny bit of cheese sometimes) so that I can determine if it actually helps my performance as well as, and more importantly, my inflammation issues. It’s been really easy lately because THERE IS NO MEAT ON THE SHELVES at any of our stores.

So far, it has not made anything worse and I am not starving to death. We shall see.

I got to join in on my virtual packet pickup for the RTY uncancelled project this evening! I haven’t figured out what distances I want to sign up for but it sure will feel good to be accomplishing something! It’s also completely free for anyone interested. Which is awesome. They are truly doing this for US. Not profit.

I have a long run planned for this weekend which i am getting excited about. I hope hope hope everything I’m doing for the IT band works. It will be a shorter “long” run than I have been doing and I will just have to go by feel, bit HOPEFULLY it will pan out to be something that I can live with in terms of accomplishment
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 I WAS RAMBLING and FORGOT TO SAY that i roasted the vegetables at 370 (arbitrarily - I just picked a nice sounding number) for 45-60 minutes until they were tender ;)
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Well... I got to the store yesterday, and got my darn hotdogs for later usage (along with the other things I needed). And good thing I did, because today on my run, the people on my podcast were also having a hot dog discussion/controversy as a side topic.... it is just meant to be.

Today, the weather is working on changing, significantly. Which in Wyoming means a ton of wind, and for me, a migraine. Ugh.

In case anyone wondered.... the weather seems to be just as dang confused as the rest of us.
    nht4ck14llag.jpeg
    uupdgleikwhm.jpeg

But, it was still seeming nice enough to run after work, so I went. Because the pollen advisory is going to cause enough side glances at work, as it pertains to my health, I likely will not be running in the 18 degree or less weather, and add to angry respiratory system. I do NOT need a repeat of last week’s office drama. It was like 55 degrees when I started.... but due to wind and amount of clouds I opted for capris and T-shirt unlike my recent “absorb all the sunshine!!” outfit of shorts and tank top. Which was a good choice, because I don’t know how far the temp dropped in my VERY short run... but I was under dressed by the end. I intended to do 2-3 miles... but at about .8 miles, I came around the edge of a hill and went “oh *kitten*!” Angry looking clouds. It wasn’t quite @pastervincent ‘s tornado... but it didn’t look good...and I didn’t know what it MIGHT have in it. So, I turned my butt around and did my best to beat it home... which is easier said than done at my current snail’s pace and “wogging” level of fitness. I got rained on a tad, but beat the hail/groppel stuffs.

However, it did lead to the 2nd recent 1mile PR IN as many runs!! Lol, amazing what you can suddenly do if you are being chase by a thunderstorm.

Today = 1.68 / goal that was long since forgotten. Garmin says I did 23.3 miles in March, which is less than half of what I had hoped for, but is better than nothing.

@hanlonsk please please tell me this was Sam and Becky! I won't name the actual podcast as the name may be controversial (maybe?? It shouldn't be but I suspect you don't name it for the same reason I don't) but I was listening to them too today! I absolutely believe in the bun/hot dog manufacturers conspiracy!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lmao @avidkeo it was actually “my favorite murder.” (I am still working on catching up to present on it.) which I think @RunsOnEspresso got me started in ages ago.... however, now I want to know who sam and Becky are!! Lol
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Lmao @avidkeo it was actually “my favorite murder.” (I am still working on catching up to present on it.) which I think @RunsOnEspresso got me started in ages ago.... however, now I want to know who sam and Becky are!! Lol

Lol ah ok. Lots of people talking about hot dogs then! My podcast is called Ask an Atheist with Sam Mulvey. It's sort of political, and from the title I think you can guess their skew - though they are more humanist than Atheist and very geeky/sciency as well. Sam is the main presenter, though his wife, Becky, frequently fronts it as well.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hey y'all, in case you missed the early bus, come join us in the April thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10790128/april-2020-monthly-running-challenge
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,990 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Great story about the raccoon. I'm sure the little guy stopped by to say thank you.

@hanlonsk Glad you beat the storm home. Being hit by hail would not have been good.

Great job @ContraryMaryMary !