• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    😴
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,232 Member
    Options
    :heart:

We too practice distancing here in that we use separate bathrooms. DH hangs out mostly in our den and I hang out in Marguaritaville in the basement. At son's son has a favorite chair and I hang out on the couch at the fat end. I wonder if the will do away with cigarates and vaping products because this illness attacks the lungs. I wish they would because of the health risks and the increased permanent damage to lungs if you get the worse version.

Interesting that you should say that ...

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6690938/smokers-at-higher-risk-of-getting-covid-19-utas-researcher/

"University of Tasmania senior lecturer and head of the respiratory research group Dr Sukhwinder Singh Sohal said research showed that a lot of people with the virus were smokers. ...

"We need to make smokers aware that they are at higher risk and even passive smokers and people who use electronic cigarettes are at risk." ...

A recent Chinese study found that smokers are 14-times more at risk for severe coronavirus infection and 14 per cent more likely to get pneumonia. ...

Dr Sohal said smoking stimulates a specific receptor used by coronavirus to get entry into the lung cells making smokers and patients with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) more vulnerable to viral infection."

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Smoking tobacco products shortens life and polutes the air, especially bad in closed compartments such as a car. I grew up with 2 smoking parents who lit the next cigarette from the the previous one. I am still sad & mad at their lack of regard for me & others.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,898 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: watch streaming church service, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, veg prep
    Bonus: 21 additional minutes vacuuming bathrooms, dining and living room, tub with Carol.
    Get to do: 3/23 BB&B at home, invest 10 mins cleaning Master Bth, finish Aunt Elsie’s stove and test light oven, compile North County congregation contacts, make tacos, Rx and Library pickup 1-5, bake something for Joe, board meeting minutes, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 4: Healthy inputs
    rx, clo, clementines and cottage cheese, raw veggies and hummus, chat with friend.
    SuziQ Thank you very much for the Essential Oils article. Gives new meaning to the song Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme… Most especially thank you for the Charmin Farmin. That’s my brand, will I ever see it again? Oh and the funnies, thank you!
    Amber prayers for your aunt and your family, it is all we can do, and important.
    Julie thanks for checking in, you have been missed! So sorry to hear about the lack of neighborly trend. Hope that changes as we are all truly interdependent.
    Kylia would you post the link to that back porch Zumba video? Have some friends who’d love to see it. Which app does your church use for their online services?
    Lanette when Coach read that poem to our class, he choked up just as my eyes were welling up. It really got to me. Don’t forget your VitD/Cod Liver Oil.
    Flea reading your comments about handshaking and high fives, leads me to hugs. The gals at line dance and church are a huggy lot, and at T’ai Chi even the guys hug. It’s a comforting feeling I will be sad to see end.
    Rita OWW, just what you didn’t need.
    Michele “… put those adds right in recycling without even looking at them” Brava! Well done! Good luck finding flushable personal cleansing wipes. They disappeared from the shelves here along with the TP and rubbing alcohol. Thanksa afor the reminder about the keypad, will bring a pencil to poke it with.
    Heather who cares whether or not he can spell, he delivers Mother’s Day Pizza! :love:
    Sharon, ditto Katla’s concern. Please let us know.
    Carol Bravissima for your compassion toward your renter.
    Kim brilliant salad. If anyone nearby has an avocado tree, that goes well with citrus too ;) Agree could have positive environmental impacts. Not so sanguine about the “just bounce back”. Afraid the economic impact will be global and longer term.
    Happy (UK) Mother’s Day to Kate, Terri, Heather, Viv and any of our other UK mums I missed.
    Pip lucky Yogi!
    Machka “6 months.” Ouch.
    Karen in VA “not a damn dress rehearsal” Bingo.
    Sue in WA good to see you checking in.

Must go out tomorrow for the first time since Friday am to pick up an rx. Last time I was out stores weren’t crowded, had adequate produce and dairy tho milk, TP and wipes were being rationed. Joe went to Freddie’s yesterday when they opened and he said the store was jam packed with people. My friend said that when she walked her dog she saw the RV parks full and the beach and trails crowded, possibly C19 refugees from nearby California or inland along the I5 where most of the cases are down here. Still awaiting details of the Governor’s Stay home/Stay safe announcement tomorrow, expect we’ll move from shutdown schools and restaurants, to something more like lockdown.

On the plus side, Joe is enjoying me being hunkered down. He’s almost stopped asking “where are you going tonight?” ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: better than February.
    daily: steps=2732
    vits=20 log=22 CI<CO=15 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=8 mfp=22 clean 10 mins=16 outside=9 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B x3=9, rx=3 dance=4 pack walk=2
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=12 play=2 sew=0

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka “6 months.” Ouch.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

Yes, at least. China has already been doing all this for 3 months.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Smoking tobacco products shortens life and polutes the air, especially bad in closed compartments such as a car. I grew up with 2 smoking parents who lit the next cigarette from the the previous one. I am still sad & mad at their lack of regard for me & others.

Katla When I was a teenager I played coronet, and our amazingly talented band instructor would take me & a couple of others to contests, sometimes as far away as Laramie or Colorado Springs or Lincoln NE. These trips were hours long and he smoked, although he didn't light one cigarette off the other like your parents did. We complained a little and he'd make a wiseacre retort & crack the window a bit, but he still exhaled in the car. It was unbearable. Hard to imagine doing that to your own child on an ongoing basis. Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOjEvc4DSLI

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka,
    Although I have the deepest respect for the doctors on the front lines of this thing and totally agree with smoking being a bad habit it is my feeling it not only weakens the lungs but knowing many do not wash their hands prior to lighting up and/or vaping. We have all seen this in practice. So smokers/vapers are allowing direct entry in to their systems via their hands being so close to their mouths with the habit.
  • Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I went to my Run Strong class again tonight. :)

We were working on hamstring exercises and increasing cadence. The goal is to work toward a cadence of 180 ... but mine is a lot lower than that!

Our instructor counted mine in the low 140s running on grass, and I've seen as high as 159 on my treadmill.

But when he used a metronome, I was able to run with a cadence of 180 for short periods of time. It feels weird and I can only keep it up for a little bit!

It was lovely to be outside in early autumn ... cool, crisp air ... a bit of a wind blowing. :)

I really need to run a few more times before next week's class!

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
  • kymarai
    Options
    It is Monday,
    We should be considered essential as we support fire departments, cities, townships, and utilities. Still unsure. Hopefully we will figure out today for sure. I am hoping more people take advantage of call ahead/Curbside service. Torn. I want to be open for customers, yet want to be closed for customers. If we are closed they will just go to big box stores to get their supplies and mowers.

I managed to get carpets shampooed, laundry done, bills paid, paperwork sorted. I have the cleanest 30 y/o carpets around. Yes, they are stained, but they are clean😉 Cooked breakfast, cleaned kitchen, Cooked white bean chili for dinner. Cleaned kitchen. Apparently i need IP instructions. I had an off brand one that i tried to cook in, it was awful. Got an actual IP, have tried chicken twice including last night. No go! Ended up pan cooking in olive oil......

Stay safe!
    Keep calm!
    Stay supportive!

💓
    Kylia in Ohio
  • kymarai
    Options
    Barbara- the Zumba video was on Facebook. Now This page. I searched community outdoor Zumba to find it. Not sure how to link. My church uses Facebook and you tube.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,437 Member
    Options

Some germ chit-chat:
    Went for afternoon walk with my retired nurse friend. She said something that really struck me. She said everyone should look at this virus as not only something we don't want to catch, it's something WE don't want to spread.

Hence. start or keep up the social distancing, staying away from or really sanitizing after being in businesses, pumping gas, etc. We might have it, be spreading it and not even know it.

We don't want to be catching anything, even a simple cold, that could stress our immune system and complicate things in a hurry if we catch this bug. With my allergies, I am a little concerned but have ramped up my vitamins, especially vitamin C, and am eating healthier than I have in a while.

I don't want to be the carrier that infects my husband.
    Stay safe, peeps!

Lanette

>>>

Lanette
    Yes! This! Your brilliant retired nurse friend is spot on.

I don't know if you saw Lisa's post (or my post of the actual video) re: comments made by epidemiologist Emily Landon, M.D., who so eloquently said:

“The healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable.”

This is why we should stay away from public settings unless absolutely necessary.
    This is why, in my opinion, health care workers like me should wear surgical masks when we go to public places like grocery stores.
    This is why Heather flipped out when it was suggested that vulnerable elderly people and health care workers be allowed to shop together the first hour that grocery stores are open in the UK.
    This is why we should figure out the difference between a "want" and a "need", and challenge the people who "expect" us to go somewhere public when the task could be accomplished from home, rescheduled, or skipped altogether.
    This is why my partner and I are practicing social distance in our own home.
    We are not lemmings and this is not a damn dress rehearsal.
    Mostly, our selfish wants are not important enough to risk someone else's life over. Maybe someone we love.
    Because every time we decide to go into a public setting (not talking about a walk in the neighborhood), we doom the vulnerable.
    Bluntly said. Whoooooooosh!

Karen - thank you, I was hoping you'd respond.
    I'm even a little nervous about the "seniors only" shopping time, because of the crowds. In fairness, I went on "opening day" and noted a lot of stocking up type shopping, so maybe things will level off this week. Medical workers have not been included in the special shopping hours, though they might have been shopping then as well.

We just don't know and I don't want to be paranoid, we have to assume everyone we get close to might be a carrier.

Please continue to reinforce to us how important it is. Always appreciate your info and updates as you are working on the "front lines". <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My boss, who is a VP and has approximately 250 direct/indirect reports, sent this in an update email this morning. It is geared somewhat to younger adults, but worth the watch. This is one of many reasons why I am so fortunate to be a direct report she does show her heart.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/398230086
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
    Ppppp