Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hand sanitizer: If you have a local craft distillery - one that usually makes vodka, whiskey, gin, etc. - check their FB/web page, or call to see if they have hand sanitizer. My local sells it in gallons, or 2oz, at about cost to make. I've read about places in other parts of the country doing similar things. Helps a local business, helps you.

Yes! There is a place nearby that changed from making whiskey to hand sanitizer. I heard they sell the bottle (32 oz., I think? I don't drink whiskey, so not exactly sure what the bottle size is) for $35. That may be a little expensive for that size of container, but not terrible. Also, they are new to making it and I'm sure materials went up in cost too... so probably is about right. They were supplying the nearest hospital as well and not sure if they were charging or how much. If not, that explains part of the cost too. Either way, $35 for about a liter isn't bad.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    TP seems to have reappeared here as suddenly as it disappeared.

Stock has never been terrible, have managed to get some all along if I go as soon as shops open - but on weekend there was shelves full at both supermarkets on Sat afternoon.
    Went to shops again Sun, just to get the weekend newspaper, still plenty on shelves Sun afternoon.

This would be unheard of a mere week ago.

( still one pack per customer)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned about food.

I've heard that meat processing plants are having a really hard time keeping up production, because of course they are. I can go without meat, but if meat processing plants are having a hard time, I imagine all food production is having a hard time, and I'm worried. I don't know what if anything I can do, besides try to garden, but even then, I definitely can't produce enough to feed my family.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yeh, predicting what is or isn't available for each week has become sort of a mind game. :) Plenty of toilet paper and paper towels now, lots of bread, eggs are dwindling, I still find no hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes, few bottles of bleach now, but no mushrooms, no spinach or lettuce type products? The ups and downs of product availability is strange and doesn't jive with my weekly shopping list. Lol
    Not only that, they recommend you only visit the store once a week to keep exposure down but how can you do that if you can't find half of what you're looking for? I know some things I can substitute but I'm a spoiled brat who wants what I want. :blush: When there are very few greens and no mushrooms..........:/ Subbing ice cream hasn't helped. :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hand sanitizer: If you have a local craft distillery - one that usually makes vodka, whiskey, gin, etc. - check their FB/web page, or call to see if they have hand sanitizer. My local sells it in gallons, or 2oz, at about cost to make. I've read about places in other parts of the country doing similar things. Helps a local business, helps you.

Yes! There is a place nearby that changed from making whiskey to hand sanitizer. I heard they sell the bottle (32 oz., I think? I don't drink whiskey, so not exactly sure what the bottle size is) for $35. That may be a little expensive for that size of container, but not terrible. Also, they are new to making it and I'm sure materials went up in cost too... so probably is about right. They were supplying the nearest hospital as well and not sure if they were charging or how much. If not, that explains part of the cost too. Either way, $35 for about a liter isn't bad.

Local central IL distillery is selling hand sanitizer for $56.65 a gallon. Don't know where you're at but sounds high.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned about food.

I've heard that meat processing plants are having a really hard time keeping up production, because of course they are. I can go without meat, but if meat processing plants are having a hard time, I imagine all food production is having a hard time, and I'm worried. I don't know what if anything I can do, besides try to garden, but even then, I definitely can't produce enough to feed my family.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

The issue with meat right now is that the major processing facilities are dealing with outbreaks. I believe the affect on food production will depend on how centralized the production of each item is, where those facilities are located, and how proactive the company is about safeguarding their workers and how crowded with employees those facilities typically are.

Unfortunately it seems commercial meat production in the US is quite centralized and required a lot of people in those buildings. So a couple of facilities go down and everyone feels it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty concerned about this whole food chain thing - and not just meat. I would say to everyone, stock up on protein powder, pasta or wheat, nuts, beans, whatever protein sources you see at the store. Canned vegetables and fruits, etc.

I guess the government *could* deploy the National Guard or military to run the factories if it comes to that. Let's pray it doesn't.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only chronic shortage I am seeing here is powdered milk. My local Pig has received exactly one shipment of it in the last 2 months. I don't normally use it but have been keeping a sourdough starter and want to make English muffins. All recipes I have call for powdered milk. Both regular and evaporated add too much moisture to the dough. I have buttermilk powder but think it might be too rich.

This is especially ironic since area farmers are dumping milk because the demand has gone way down with institutions like schools and restaurants closed. The powdered milk manufacturers cannot keep up with demand but they don't have the facilities to cope with excess supply.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    earlnabby, can you use whey protein powder? I would think it would work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    One option I've been using is buying direct from farmers. I haven't needed meat yet, but they are selling that too. The website for my favorite farmers market has contact information for those participating.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    One option I've been using is buying direct from farmers. I haven't needed meat yet, but they are selling that too. The website for my favorite farmers market has contact information for those participating.

That's great advice. A lot of small farmers who are used to selling at farmers markets are really struggling with so many markets closed.

If your market website doesn't have information, you could try something like the Weston A. Price Foundation and contact the local chapter leader for a list of local farms.

And if you're bored out of your mind staying home, a drive to a local farm might be fun.
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    @whoami67, we're fortunate here, we can see them quite well from the freeway so we don't actually have to stop. It was so crowded last year that we couldn't find a place to park anyway and I saw a lot of people off trails and traipsing through the poppies. I wasn't happy about that at all. If we go next weekend I'll post a couple of photos for you.............. ;)