Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does Covid-19 affect Obesity epidemic?

15678911»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately we are finding out the opposite is true, obesity has a significant impact on the Covid-19 pandemic:

"We, as physician-researchers, are watching the data points very closely. A preliminary report published by Nature, a respected research journal, found that among 4,103 patients with COVID-19 in New York City, having a BMI greater than 40 — sometimes categorized as “extreme” or “severe” obesity — was the second-strongest independent predictor of hospitalization, after old age. The researchers also found that among 383 patients with COVID-19 in Shenzhen, China, those with obesity were more likely to require mechanical ventilation than those with diabetes or cardiovascular disease"

https://connect.uclahealth.org/2020/05/26/how-obesity-affects-covid-19/

Some other articles, directionally the same.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-obesity-risk-factor

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/06/01/david-kass-obesity-covid-19/
    Yep, I read an article the other day with a headline something like “healthy teen dies of Covid-19.”

Open the article and the teen is pictured, and he’a morbidly obese. Then the article reveals that when he was hospitalized for covid they discovered that he had developed type 1 diabetes and was nearly in a diabetic coma, but mysteriously, unlike normal newly-emergent cases of type 1, insulin didn’t lower his glucose.

Do what now? What crackhead doctor decided this kid had type 1? Did he conclude that solely because of the kid’s age? Because it seems pretty obvious from the course of the illness that he had undiagnosed type 2 caused by his obesity, and the illness caused stress which almost completely blocked the effect of insulin - which is exactly what normally happens to type 2s suffering from a severe illness. Bingo bango, no mysterious never before seen behavior of type 1, just perfectly ordinary type 2.

In any case, whether or not he had diabetes before getting covid, a young teenager who weighs 400 lbs is not “healthy, with no previous comorbidities.” It’s called morbid obesity for a reason, and it is a comorbidity!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    SuzanMunro wrote: »
    Basically we were all told to stay home and bake bread. No yeast - just use beer. Here's a recipe for yeast-free sourdough starter. So I'm sure all that bread didn't help anyone's weight loss efforts.

Who gave us instructions to bake bread? I missed that.

yeah - this. If anything, our county executive made a point of letting us know that the county parks (these are the ones primarily used for hiking, trail running, mountain biking in my areas) were remaining open (but to move on to another one if over-crowded).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,879 Member
    I can see baking as a way to avoid having to go to the store as often. Bread products typically have a short shelf-life so if you want to avoid people and stores, baking is smart.

Also, I still haven't gotten that good at repackaging bread after getting it home from the store. I want cootie-free packages but it's awkward and requires tongs and a large clean surface.

I'm eating more grains now because they're cheap, too. Not being able to work will do that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,879 Member
    I can see baking as a way to avoid having to go to the store as often. Bread products typically have a short shelf-life so if you want to avoid people and stores, baking is smart.

Also, I still haven't gotten that good at repackaging bread after getting it home from the store. I want cootie-free packages but it's awkward and requires tongs and a large clean surface.

I'm eating more grains now because they're cheap, too. Not being able to work will do that.

My words might legitimately be interpreted as ignoring or being insensitive to those whose dietary patterns have changed due to economic circumstance due to Corona and I apologize for that. Going to try to do better. <3

I wasn't referring to you, jjr.

I'm also not using money or lack thereof to excuse over-eating, grains or not. When the lockdowns started I bought a lot of rice, beans, pasta, packages muffin mixes, and anything that was shelf-stable in case I got sick.

NOW? I have to start using some of them. So much pasta, lol.

I'll never be a baker of bread. Good thing, since I still am not seeing flour very often in the stores. Maybe people are using baking bread as a self-comforting thing, too?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    I had the impression that part of the impetus for the baking trend was that bread was one of the things that in many places were frequently out of stock in grocery stores during the first month or so #stayhome, so some people figured they would make their own. And then lots of people turned to sourdough because yeast disappeared from the shelves.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Day to day, the excuse for a lot of overweight/obese non active people is LACK OF TIME. Well for many, that's not a valid excuse. They now have more than 10 times the amount of time to be able to exercise and you really only need one hour. So I don't really buy the debate that it affects obesity. Rather that if people are getting more overweight, it's more due to lacking the discipline in the first place.

I don't like working out. No amount of extra time is going to change my attitude there!

I started gaining weight because even though I wouldn't consider myself "active", I used to do something like 15,000 steps running around in a stressful job. Overnight, that calorie burn just stopped, and my appetite didn't.

I've had to actively take steps to work on my diet to compensate for the loss of activity, but I bet many people haven't, and have gained weight due to the reduced physical activity that they didn't really count as a physical activity.

I have to say, I haven't gained nearly as much free time as I thought I would. To an extent, I think we're all suffering from lower levels of happiness, and this makes it harder to do anything. Time just slips away.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I had the impression that part of the impetus for the baking trend was that bread was one of the things that in many places were frequently out of stock in grocery stores during the first month or so #stayhome, so some people figured they would make their own. And then lots of people turned to sourdough because yeast disappeared from the shelves.

More of an "I'm bored and I normally eat as my hobby" impetus for most as far as I can tell.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2020
    There were two months during heavy lockdown when we couldn't shop for groceries at all and all deliveries were also stopped. Our supplies of flour and yeast, dried beans, canned fish, canned veg and uht milk got us through that time with room to spare. I've kept up the bread baking and enjoy three slices a day.

News of the recurrance of cases here in europe and supposing there is a second wave we've now ordered from a mill nearby who can supply and deliver stone ground flours and yeast. I'm trying to find sources of food from small businesses that will deliver even if the large stores can't supply things because of broken supply chains. In our local grocery market chain store whole meal flour and rye flour, yeast are still off the shelves. TP and soap comes and goes, once every few weeks we can find a very small bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer. Masks are cheap and plentiful at .99 euro, thanks to the government. :)