Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does Covid-19 affect Obesity epidemic?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    An observation. On MFP January is normally the month for "newbies". I'm seeing a flood of introduction posts. I wonder if the virus scare will be a wake-up call for many.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    LJRS2019 wrote: »
    I am overweight by 60lb technically obese but you know what - *kitten* you. and my first thought was "great I will put on another 40lb" and then I don't know... I started tracking and lost 7lb and then I started upping the anti on the nutrition and lost another 3lb and then I walked 3 miles a day and then 4 miles and then 5 miles and this week I hit 6 miles... things are loser... things are happening...

I think my lack of choice at this point has been the key in me getting the ball rolling. I am actually going to come out of this pandemic a lot better than when i went it (unless I get covid in which case you are all allowed to laugh at the irony of this post, i will keep you posted)

Actually I think you're doing great. Congratulations! That's the way it works--lose a little and then a little more. It doesn't matter what got you started, we all have that moment. Stay safe and just keep going, and please do keep us posted.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I am overweight by 60lb technically obese but you know what - *kitten* you. and my first thought was "great I will put on another 40lb" and then I don't know... I started tracking and lost 7lb and then I started upping the anti on the nutrition and lost another 3lb and then I walked 3 miles a day and then 4 miles and then 5 miles and this week I hit 6 miles... things are loser... things are happening...

I think my lack of choice at this point has been the key in me getting the ball rolling. I am actually going to come out of this pandemic a lot better than when i went it (unless I get covid in which case you are all allowed to laugh at the irony of this post, i will keep you posted)

Kitten you? The overall tone of this seems surprisingly hostile toward all the other posters in the thread.
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Kitten you? The overall tone of this seems surprisingly hostile toward all the other posters in the thread.

Sorry you feel that way. It is hard to gage tone etc though so it might be worth bearing that in mind when reading people's responses. All meant with good intent 🙂

Have a nice day.
  • LJRS2019

Actually I think you're doing great. Congratulations! That's the way it works--lose a little and then a little more. It doesn't matter what got you started, we all have that moment. Stay safe and just keep going, and please do keep us posted.

Thank you! Getting there :)
  • LisaHeb1979
    LisaHeb1979 Posts: 219 Member
    My personal experience, it's important for me to continue watching what I eat and be active. Is watching what I eat harder - no. I didn't indulge on snack foods, so I still don't. Is staying active harder, no. I make the time and include my kids. They are staying active as well. We just have to acknowledge the circumstances and make it work. If there are excuses, then it's not important. Just my opinion.
  • LJRS2019
    @LJRS2019 kitten you too. And dog you, and giraffe you. And whatever else it takes to encourage you. Whatever your reason, whatever your means, just keep on keeping on, getting better, happier, healthier all the way! You go!

Haha honestly the fc*k wasn't aimed at anyone ;)
  • The main impact for me is that the gym is shut down. I am in a different boat than most, as I have a neurological disease that gives me exercise intolerance and I also have hypermobile joints. What works for me is a very slowly progressing weight program using the machines at a gym, because I can't overextend myself on those. Now, I was doing yoga at home and I've continued with that, of course, but I won't be able to do a lot of strength work until I can get back in the gym and do it safely. Walking would be nice, but I injured my feet in my twenties and now they have a very definite standing budget. It's increased dramatically after losing 25 pounds, but it's still not quite up to both walking for exercise AND the normal ADLs that involve standing and walking around. I think I'll get there, but not quite there yet.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I miss the gym so much. I, too, have to take things very slowly. I hate to lose what I had built up. It will take sooo loooong to get back to where I was. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Gyms will reopen. I’m so excited!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I miss the gym so much. I, too, have to take things very slowly. I hate to lose what I had built up. It will take sooo loooong to get back to where I was. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Gyms will reopen. I’m so excited!

Yeah. Actually I need to consciously remind myself not to overdo it at home and that I only need a very small amount of volume to maintain gains. I am still learning this lesson slowly but surely.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Since I am often at home alone anyhow, I have found that having my partner here fulltime, and me having the incentive to cook well for both of us, has made huge changes in the quality of food and fitness and weight in both of us. I restarted myfitnespal (which I had forgotten for a year or few) and that helped me see that I would idly eat much more than I had thought I was consuming, so now I aim for healthy things, drink buckets of water, and cook a good meal at least once a day which makes leftovers, and we are both looking and feeling much better--no scales in the house, but it has completely improved our health and weight for the better. I stand in front of my computer for hours a day, dancing in place, and that really gives decent muscle tone and feel. There's still fat, but there's fit muscles underneath now. So, our obesity has dropped bigtime so far.
  • NLP6618
    NLP6618 Posts: 6,201 Member
    I get to go back to work tomorrow. I’m ready. Sick of sitting on my booty. I have been active riding bike. But I miss the gym. I hope it opens soon. Stay safe
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I am seeing a ridiculous increase of walkers/joggers/bike riders in my area. Many seem totally new (judging solely by how many grown people I see riding bikes on the sidewalk when we have TWO bike lanes on that road—a regular one and a passing lane—and traffic is down so much that any car in the lane next to the bike lanes can easily move to the center lane...so zero reason anyone over maybe 8 yo needs to ride on the sidewalk).

Plenty of families out on bikes (mine too—we rarely had time for regular rides before), or walking together, lots of solo walkers/runners. So many that our HOA sent an email reminding us to look out for these folks when pulling out of driveways bc some people are letting their kids ride up driveways and HOA is scared someone will open their garage door and back out over a kid (who lets their kids go up on someone else’s property?!?)

My own family is probably overall mostly as active, but less intensely so. We had someone playing soccer every single day before this, and while their biking around the cove and trampoline bouncing has definitely increased, its likely not equaling 90 min soccer practices and 60 min games 5x/week for each kid in intensity. And I’m walking and jogging more, but my lifting is a lot lighter at home than in the gym. I can’t jog often (thanks, hip) so walking isn’t as intense as the stair climber. But overall, we’re balancing less intensity with more overall activity.

Anyway, I am seeing a big increase in activity, which is great. We are usually outside playing during breaks in the school day (homeschoolers) and rarely see a soul. What people are eating and drinking, who knows. I am hoping more cooking and less takeaway. I’m in one of the fatter states, so hoping we can come through this a little lighter!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Activity seems pretty much the same around here (a reasonably active neighborhood in normal times), although it varies a lot based on weather and it's been mediocre lately.

Thank goodness no biking on the sidewalks other than a couple of 10-y-o girls who are allowed. That's totally my pet peeve (and against the law if one is over 12 or so). No bike lanes on most of the streets I walk and run on, but they are side streets and with the reduction in traffic bikers have basically free range most of the time.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Activity seems pretty much the same around here (a reasonably active neighborhood in normal times), although it varies a lot based on weather and it's been mediocre lately.

Thank goodness no biking on the sidewalks other than a couple of 10-y-o girls who are allowed. That's totally my pet peeve (and against the law if one is over 12 or so). No bike lanes on most of the streets I walk and run on, but they are side streets and with the reduction in traffic bikers have basically free range most of the time.

The ones on the wrong side of the street are mine.
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    I don't have many friends that are keeping up with their exercise. My "athletic" friends, even. I wonder if this will affect sports, too, with inability to train for some people. I do know that with motivation and access (I've been blessed with a lot of gym equipment at home), it is possible to stay fit and even improve firness during this time. However, I personally see the majority of our population left at home without as much access and, frankly, less motivation. I'm seeing members of my own family grow a little wider and a little more attached to the couch and Xbox. One of these members is 15 years old and I think he should recover just fine when baseball starts back up. It might take awhile, but I think things should recover, even motivation within the gym. Right now, yes, I think the world has gained a few pounds, or I'm guessing.