Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does Covid-19 affect Obesity epidemic?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,420 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I'm one of those in an extremely small space. My condo is a one bedroom, just under 700 sq feet. If I push all the furniture in the living room as far back as it will go, I can fit a yoga mat in longways, but can't spread my arms fully out to the sides. I don't really know much about what's on YouTube, but I know that's not enough room for things I used to do in aerobics type classes back in the day. I thought this would be a good time to start C25K or something, but they're predicting 4-6" of snow tomorrow and Friday, so that option seems to have disappeared as well for the time being. Luckily, stress goes right to my stomach, so too many calories has not yet been a concern for me.

Don't know where you are but in most of the US 4-6 inches of snow this time of year will be gone fast. Do you have anything preventing you from walking if there is a bit of snow on the ground?

Good luck.
  • arieswrite1
    arieswrite1 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm one of those in an extremely small space. My condo is a one bedroom, just under 700 sq feet. If I push all the furniture in the living room as far back as it will go, I can fit a yoga mat in longways, but can't spread my arms fully out to the sides. I don't really know much about what's on YouTube, but I know that's not enough room for things I used to do in aerobics type classes back in the day. I thought this would be a good time to start C25K or something, but they're predicting 4-6" of snow tomorrow and Friday, so that option seems to have disappeared as well for the time being. Luckily, stress goes right to my stomach, so too many calories has not yet been a concern for me.

Leslie Sansome doesn’t take up much room.

Yep, I used to live in a 500 square foot studio apartment and still had room to use Leslie Sansone videos!
  • One_Eye_Blind
    One_Eye_Blind Posts: 12 Member
    Leslie Sansone gets my vote too. I live in a 700 sq ft guest house.
  • One_Eye_Blind
    One_Eye_Blind Posts: 12 Member
    For those who miss dancing, there’s tons of dance exercise on YouTube. I’m addicted to Zumba and The Fitness Marshall (although I have to admit some stuff I have to modify quite a bit.). The Balanced Life with Robin Long is great for those who like Pilates - and Pilates does not take up much room.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Don't know where you are but in most of the US 4-6 inches of snow this time of year will be gone fast. Do you have anything preventing you from walking if there is a bit of snow on the ground?

Good luck.

It mostly depends on whether people get their walks shoveled in a timely fashion. I live in an old neighborhood where most of the sidewalks are broken up and uneven from tree roots and stuff. If it’s snow covered and icy, it’s more treacherous than productive. It’s supposed to snow through Friday, so hopefully it will melt off quickly. I still hate doing it alone. It honestly doesn’t matter if I’m inside or out, it’s the deafening isolation that’s already getting to me.

That sucks. Hang in the and get out there when the snow melts.

Best of luck
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

Good luck.

It mostly depends on whether people get their walks shoveled in a timely fashion. I live in an old neighborhood where most of the sidewalks are broken up and uneven from tree roots and stuff. If it’s snow covered and icy, it’s more treacherous than productive. It’s supposed to snow through Friday, so hopefully it will melt off quickly. I still hate doing it alone. It honestly doesn’t matter if I’m inside or out, it’s the deafening isolation that’s already getting to me.

Microspikes and Yaktrax are great in snow and ice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Good luck.

The usual problem where I live with running on the sidewalks much of the winter is that you get a stretch of pavement followed by a stretch (or even just various patches) of ice followed by perhaps some snow (since people did a bad job shoveling) and so on. I have Yaktrax but haven't really used them since my understanding has been that they wouldn't be good on the pavement parts. Am I wrong? It's late enough in the year that I'm not worried about it (knock on wood), but that ice/pavement/ice/pavement type of condition is the main thing that keeps me from running outside more consistently in the winter.
  • Theoldguy1
    I'll give an answer so optimistic you'll think I'm Pollyanna.

People will realize that those with T2D and CVD fare much worse when infected by the new coronavirus. They'll come to feel that their exceeded weight is dangerous for them and for society (given what Italy went through), and decide to make managing their weight a priority.

Unfortunately, they have been told that excess weight increases the chances of poor health outcomes for years. Not sure if some virus will change a bunch of minds.

Hoping I'm wrong.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Good luck.

The usual problem where I live with running on the sidewalks much of the winter is that you get a stretch of pavement followed by a stretch (or even just various patches) of ice followed by perhaps some snow (since people did a bad job shoveling) and so on. I have Yaktrax but haven't really used them since my understanding has been that they wouldn't be good on the pavement parts. Am I wrong? It's late enough in the year that I'm not worried about it (knock on wood), but that ice/pavement/ice/pavement type of condition is the main thing that keeps me from running outside more consistently in the winter.

I have Microspikes, I've worn them on hikes with snow and intermittent melted out rock. I've walked over plenty of bare ground with them because I'm lazy enough not to keep taking them on and off. It's not ideal, but it's workable. It'll eventually grind them down, but there's a lot of metal so it'll take a very long time. I haven't worn Yaktrax personally, I have a friend that likes hers, that's as much as I can really say.

I wouldn't want to run in them just because it's more weight on your feet. My friend does it. I was responding because it sounded like people think they can't even go out and walk if there's snow and ice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,904 Member
    Apart from activity levels I guess it depends on your eating response to stress.

some people comfort eat more when stressed - but tends to have opposite effect on me, I feel sick and lose my appetite.