Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Wow @avidkeo, the full?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins hope that you get cleared to run outside and a good distance from home. I hope that the anxiety will ease once you get out again.

@marisap2010 I liked that Keep it Classy virtual 5k shirt too and was so tempted to sign up for it. Glad you got it. And nice deal on the shoes!

@brittanystebbins95 I'm so sorry for all your stress. Because it's virtual I can offer a big hug. That sounds like so much to deal with right now. Sending all the good vibes your way.

Aw, @janejellyroll, sorry about the lack of sleep. I can totally get the side-eye of him snoozing the day away after keeping you up all night.

@mbaker566 hoping for good news for you too on the coworkers test and that you haven't been exposed. It's very scary.

@Faebert good for you for coming in way over your target and donating money for those miles. That's a wonderful tribute to those caring for your niece.

@quilteryoyo congrats on an EASY run! That really is great. Especially one where you went longer than you planned.

@ContraryMaryMary great mileage this month and good for you for taking a rest day. I'm curious about a "2-4 hour" run though. My coach always has time-based rather than mileage goals but they only vary by 15 minutes from one week to the next for a long run. I don't quite get the purpose of that huge of a time range for a training run. Do you just stop when you feel done, or what?

@Avidkeo - congrats on signing up for a marathon! Woo hoo! I immediately reacted with some horror though at seeing the words "more people = more fun" right now. We're not allowed! I hope November will be a totally different outlook.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Wow @avidkeo, the full?

Yep. Joining me?? Lol
  • Avidkeo
    Options

@Avidkeo - congrats on signing up for a marathon! Woo hoo! I immediately reacted with some horror though at seeing the words "more people = more fun" right now. We're not allowed! I hope November will be a totally different outlook.

Yeah really hope by November it will be sorted. I'm pretty confident actually given how NZ has been handling it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I heard that a vaccine could be possible by September. It's crazy to think that in a few months this whole experience could be surreal memory.

But you know how it is with these things. Often someone jumps ahead to quickly just to go down in the history books.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Yeah really hope by November it will be sorted. I'm pretty confident actually given how NZ has been handling it.

Wow! November is what... spring for you? Is that good weather time at least?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @katharmonic I heard that a vaccine could be possible by September. It's crazy to think that in a few months this whole experience could be surreal memory.

But you know how it is with these things. Often someone jumps ahead to quickly just to go down in the history books.

We have been hearing about a vaccine form several different companies all "in testing" or "ready to test in humans" for almost this entire lockdown in USA. Someone is bound to come up with one eventually, but it gets hard to credit after the 10th or 12th claim. :)
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Yep spring. November is typically pretty good for weather. I mean the marathon I'm training for ATM is in July, the middle of winter!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Yep spring. November is typically pretty good for weather. I mean the marathon I'm training for ATM is in July, the middle of winter!!

Oh a mid winter race is not my favorite 🥶
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Yeah I'm nervous. I did the HM in 2011 and it was AWFUL.

On that note, can anyone recommend a great rainproof jacket that's OK to run in? I don't mind running in the rain, but think that 4hrs ill probably end up with a chill if I don't have anything appropriate
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

On that note, can anyone recommend a great rainproof jacket that's OK to run in? I don't mind running in the rain, but think that 4hrs ill probably end up with a chill if I don't have anything appropriate

I don’t know if you can find the one I’ve got anymore, but I love my Decathlon Kalengi Kiprun jacket. It has a watch window, optional cuffs with thumb holes, zippered vents on the arms and front, layered vents on the back and under the arms, detachable hood, and detachable buff. It’s the most comfortable jacket I own in anything from slightly chill to downright cold weather, completely rainproof, and also wind proof. And it looks cool. A thief stole my hood when it was in my run bag and I was wearing the jacket, and I have never forgiven them!

Anyway if Decathlon’s currently available jacket is of similar quality it should be great.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo - I have a Nike jacket that I bought tears ago on clearance that I love but it is for sure no longer available and I have not idea about any others.

@mbaker566 - will your work make a test available or do you have to go find one? Either way I hope it is negative!
  • Avidkeo
    Options

I don’t know if you can find the one I’ve got anymore, but I love my Decathlon Kalengi Kiprun jacket. It has a watch window, optional cuffs with thumb holes, zippered vents on the arms and front, layered vents on the back and under the arms, detachable hood, and detachable buff. It’s the most comfortable jacket I own in anything from slightly chill to downright cold weather, completely rainproof, and also wind proof. And it looks cool. A thief stole my hood when it was in my run bag and I was wearing the jacket, and I have never forgiven them!

Anyway if Decathlon’s currently available jacket is of similar quality it should be great.

Ahhh found it on the Australian decathlon site, but they don't ship to NZ. Sigh.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    Wow @avidkeo, the full?

Yep. Joining me?? Lol

Nope. I know the course too well. And also, I don’t do 3:30am starts that well. I’ll be thinking if you when I do the half.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary great mileage this month and good for you for taking a rest day. I'm curious about a "2-4 hour" run though. My coach always has time-based rather than mileage goals but they only vary by 15 minutes from one week to the next for a long run. I don't quite get the purpose of that huge of a time range for a training run. Do you just stop when you feel done, or what?

It actually says ‘Absorption: adventure/hike 2-4 hours’ so it’s definitely based on pace - it’s something different to break things up/challenge myself.

I’ve had a month of aerobic pace or faster running so this is the first scheduled slow run in a very long time. I could walk for 4 hours if I wanted, but I’m opting to run slowly for around 3. If it were much shorter I’d probably be tempted to go too fast.

I daren’t go for a hike - I’d aim for four hours and still be wandering in the bush next Tuesday. I have absolutely no sense of direction. A 3hr run is pretty scary without someone alongside me to ensure I stick to the route.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options

With Wellington, you’ll want a jacket for wind more than anything. Something super light that you can tie round your waist. Ive got a great adidas one that was awesome when I ran Taupo in a howling gale in the middle of winter. Rainproof generally doesn’t work as you’ll get saturated with sweat anyway. My advice, a good merino layer. I’d go as far as suggesting you splurge and buy Icebreaker. Their stuff is fab. And do pretty you can wear it when you’re not running!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Wow @avidkeo, the full?

Yep. Joining me?? Lol

Nope. I know the course too well. And also, I don’t do 3:30am starts that well. I’ll be thinking if you when I do the half.

Wait what???

Me: frantically google a info...

Ohhh it starts at 6am, but probably have to catch an insanely early ferry to get to the start on time. That's OK. Im staying at a hotel that's a 15 min walk to the ferry - got an absolute bargain price due to being a healthcare worker. So be more like a 4am start. I can handle that.

Absolutely have to meet up this time!

Thanks for the advice in the Wellington half! I'll look into a good merino layer.