April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your experiences, wisdom, and advice for my PF. Surgery (or any other type of doc visit) is pretty much a no-go for me. Don't have insurance that would cover any of that. Home remedies and doctor Google are my choices.
    shanaber wrote: »
    @scott6255 - I 2nd what has been said already abut PF. I tore mine a few years ago and the doctor actually told me that was a good thing as they typically heal faster than the strain. He gave me exercises for my foot (rolling a ball from my toes to my heel, scrunching a towel with my toes, etc. but one of the best things I found was the yoga toes pose. I still do it regularly.
    It used to be on the Runners World site but now I can only find it here on Facebook

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it. I tried it, and can't get my knees to go to the ground (can only go about halfway). But it is def something to work on!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your experiences, wisdom, and advice for my PF. Surgery (or any other type of doc visit) is pretty much a no-go for me. Don't have insurance that would cover any of that. Home remedies and doctor Google are my choices.
    shanaber wrote: »
    @scott6255 - I 2nd what has been said already abut PF. I tore mine a few years ago and the doctor actually told me that was a good thing as they typically heal faster than the strain. He gave me exercises for my foot (rolling a ball from my toes to my heel, scrunching a towel with my toes, etc. but one of the best things I found was the yoga toes pose. I still do it regularly.
    It used to be on the Runners World site but now I can only find it here on Facebook

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it. I tried it, and can't get my knees to go to the ground (can only go about halfway). But it is def something to work on!

I have found that with something solid to hold onto (like a windowsill or bed frame) I can still get a good stretch without getting my knees to the ground.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins Every time I read one of your HAL is happy with me comments I think of this version of HAL

lol!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 what great looking dogs! My labradoodle LOVES the water, she jumps into any she sees, ponds, streams, puddles, everything. I just laughed too hard about the shoes. I run into painted rocks from time to time. For a while there were a bunch with words on them at our greenway and they could be used to spell out all words of encouragement.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @mbaker566 what great looking dogs! My labradoodle LOVES the water, she jumps into any she sees, ponds, streams, puddles, everything. I just laughed too hard about the shoes. I run into painted rocks from time to time. For a while there were a bunch with words on them at our greenway and they could be used to spell out all words of encouragement.

that's a cool idea. maybe i'll actually paint instead of just find
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq great to hear from you! Good luck with your PT and please make sure to keep us updated!
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Great advice on the weather stuff. Running here in 95 degrees with high humidity is a bear. My favorite thing to do is run then jump in Barton Springs - a natural spring fed pool that is about 69-70 degrees year round. Literally magical waters after a hot run.

@shanaber That is one of my least favorite yet most effective yoga moves! I need to add that to my daily routine.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Great run @kgirlhart and over your goal already! Whoot!

@Faebert Glad you got a better night's sleep and had a good run.

@MegaMooseEsq Glad you are back! Hope the PT works and you got in a good, dry walk.

Today's cross training was mowing the lawn before the rain sets in for the rest of the week. My big mower hasn't been fixed - I haven't taken it anywhere - so I had to push mow the entire thing again. I did what I call my yard and garden first, did the edging, and then took a break. Then I did the hard part - up and down the driveway. So, I had two Garmin sessions. It was funny when I looked at them that the I burned 224 calories doing the first part. The second part I burned 225 calories. Garmin says in 1:39:42 I walked 2.65 miles while mowing.

You’re luckier than me. Maybe it’s my mower, but my Garmin will give about 200 steps for 45 minutes on the mower - it should be about 2000.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    sigh. more rumbly weather last night. really that and ice is my only reason not to run.
    rain tonight but no lightning this evening so hopefully a hilly run tonight.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 I am sorry to hear about all of those stressors. I know that makes planning extremely difficult.