April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 great job on the long run. You are 100% right about the downhills being worse on the IT band, when mine was having fit the PT said NO downhills or walk them. I’m in the same struggle bus with the endurance, I’m just refusing to add mileage until I feel decent running a stupid 3 miles for a few days in a row. I made the best purchase a few months back, Air Relax legs, they were expense, like $500 expensive but have been a heaven sent for us. Skip (my 19 year old) uses them religiously after long runs. They are air compression legs, she was using a friend’s set of very expensive ones and I couldn’t part of $1500 and friends loaned us the “knock off” version, they are amazing.

@bearly63 sounds like a great ride. I hate that we have stopped going to the trails but everyone and their brother are out there. I used to run alone on Friday afternoons but with so many people home they are all out so we stay home.

@Scott6255 our Fleet Feet is able to do online fittings.

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Update on my foot.. Went in last Wednesday and had a shot. The pain went from 8-10 to 3-5 lol. But I guess sometimes it takes awhile for the shot to take, especially because I can't help but have to walk on it.
    Anyway, went on a walk on Friday just to go easy, and then ran on Saturday. The first mile or so it was still kind of painful, but then it seemed to subside, so I was able to run 12.25 miles! The run itself felt quite good, the weather was perfect, cloudy and 60F.
    Yesterday went on a 10 mile bike ride, and today is rest day. And the foot feels much better today. Really hoping the shot is finally starting to work.

@scott6255 really glad you are able to get out and run. I'm with you on the first mile or 2. Always sucky for me.
    How are you feeling otherwise?

@Camaramandy648 Glad you go your run in! And yes always be careful.
    @bearly63 I love to bike as well! Prior to running and when I was I used to go to a gym, I loved spin class. So yes do tell. I've seriously been considering a spin bike for home if my foot decides to never get better without having a shot.
    @Avidkeo LOVE the cake and the video!

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    April goal: 80 km

April 1st - 2.5 km
    April 3 - 5.5. km
    April 5 - 8.2 km
    April 7 - 7 km
    April 9 - 5 km
    April 11 - 10 km
    April 13 - 5 km
    April 19 - 6.6 km
    April 21 - 5 km
    April 25 - 10 km
    April 27 - 6.2 km

Total: 71 km

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Great run. Fighting with the brain is sometimes the hardest part. Glad you aren't having any CoVid symptoms. Smart to wait to go back to work.

@hamsterwheel6 Glad your foot is feeling better. Sounds like a nice long run...well, long for me.

I was scheduled to do a Fast Finish run today - basically easy for 25 minutes and then a little faster for 5 minutes. I wasn't dreading the run, but was dreading doing it outside, for some reason. I guess because I have done so many runs lately on the treadmill and it is so much easier to control my pace. Anyway, I got it done and went a little extra to get to the next half mile. So, the total run was 2.5 miles and a mile walking for warm up and cool down.

I find that going really slow seems to take a lot more effort than going just a bit faster. I think my stride is a lot shorter and I seem to bounce more. Is that normal?

exercise.png

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 great run! So glad your foot is feeling better. Was it PF (sorry, don't remember). I have been fighting PF in my right foot for the last several months. Some days it is worse than others, but always feel it with every step. It subsides during the run, but is pretty bad the next couple of days.
    No, not having any COVID-19 symptoms. I suppose I am one of the xx % (the numbers vary depending on what website you go to) that never really had any symptoms yet tested positive.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all.

Well today lock down is officially eased a bit. Basically takeaway food is open - no dine in. And some businesses can open that can keep distances etc so most are doing a click and collect type thing.

The queues for Mcdonald are apparently spectacular lol.

I went for a gentle walk followed by a strength session. Haven't done strength in about 5 weeks! Time to get back into it. It was lovely working out in the basement where I moved my weights.

My garmin is playing up and I'm really pissed off! I have a fantastic streak going - I think 88 days - of Step goal (12000) but it keeps dropping steps. Today I reset it! And now it's not syncing properly. Sigh.

I mean steps don't matter, but it's an annoying way to lose a streak.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thanks, and yes it's pretty long for me too, the most I've ever done is 13.5 or so. I too find it harder to go slower and have to purposely (and mentally) make sure I do at times.

@scott6255 That's really great that you don't have any symptoms! It's not PF it's on the ball/toes of the right foot. Possibly Morton's Neuroma OR Metatarsalgia they symptoms are very similar and short of an MRI they can't really tell. But yes that is exactly how you are experiencing it with you PF.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Nice job! I don't have a Pelton, but I know it's a nice ride! I'm going to give indoor cycling a shot next month as this is a way to get a workout in while little man sleeps! You're staying active and well and being consistent!

@scott6255 & @bearly63 We're opening back up on Friday! I'm thinking about both of you as you both have graduates to march! Big, big deal - UT and A&M! Wow!!! I know y'all are so proud!!!

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    I have been fighting PF in my right foot for the last several months. Some days it is worse than others, but always feel it with every step. It subsides during the run, but is pretty bad the next couple of days.

I'm glad you're feeling pretty good with Covid-19, sorry about your PF though. That's a real PITA. My husband has battled with it on an off over the years - more than he should as he's not that great at seeking help or doing all the exercises the physio gives him.

However, my point, when I finally get there, is my running coach was discussing PF on his fortnightly Q&A a couple of days ago and was saying that in many cases, PF is not a foot issue - it's just where all your nerves are. Consequently, hip, back or other leg problems may manifest as PF, but treating only the foot doesn't resolve the underlying problem. How is the rest of your body? Have you stretched and massaged everything from the back down? Found any tight spots - fixing them may help your foot.

I haven't had PF but what I thought was ITBS was resolved practically overnight once I found the tight spot in my right lower back next to the spine and spent a painful hour with a hard rubber ball massaging it out. It's weird how a back issue showed most as knee pain.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips @ContraryMaryMary on the possible PF issues. I have had it twice before, in each foot at different times. Both of those lasted about a year each 😵
    Nothing up the chain is sore or hurts. I foam roll everything from the waist down just about every day (and night mostly).
    So not sure what else I can do but just gut it out.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips @ContraryMaryMary on the possible PF issues. I have had it twice before, in each foot at different times. Both of those lasted about a year each 😵
    Nothing up the chain is sore or hurts. I foam roll everything from the waist down just about every day (and night mostly).
    So not sure what else I can do but just gut it out.

Bugger. Doesn't give you many options then. I hope it resolves itself sooner rather than later.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I saw something in a textbook the other day and thought of you regarding the PF. The facia (tendonous fibers)can tear/rupture. Seems like it could be extraordinarily difficult to rehab. I didn't read the book, just looking at the pictures... (No really looking for something else and didn't stop).

I had a coworker whose wife had it, not a runner. She had shots that helped. Might be an option?

Sounds horrible.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @Scott6255 Again I feel the same way. Have to gut it out. Or maybe try custom orthotic? I don’t know either.

@Camaramandy648 Girl! You are only 3.39 miles away from your 500 Mile bib on RTE! Go get it! Eye of the Tiger!
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support all! I plan to run and ride and might just add swimming to my bag of fitness tricks!!! Gotta be outside for mental health.

@Scott6255 I had PF for about a year. Came out of nowhere. Would climb out of bed and limp for 2 hours until it loosened up. Running was a bear. Walking was a bear. Finally went to a podiatrist and he helped me pick shoes, updated my old orthotics & gave me stretches.

He said tight psoas, glutes, hammies, calves, achillies, all contributed to PF. Stretching, yoga and my shoes seemed to solve it. Good luck

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @scott6255 - I 2nd what has been said already abut PF. I tore mine a few years ago and the doctor actually told me that was a good thing as they typically heal faster than the strain. He gave me exercises for my foot (rolling a ball from my toes to my heel, scrunching a towel with my toes, etc. but one of the best things I found was the yoga toes pose. I still do it regularly.
    It used to be on the Runners World site but now I can only find it here on Facebook
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey @Scott6255 no advice on the PF, just hugs.