April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile well done! Maybe next race you will beat that train! Just gotta train for it ;)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Finally got some shots of the black squirrel that has a nest in our yard. This one almost never shows its face when I have a camera ready. As it is these were shot through a closed window using my 300mm zoom lens.
    3t1l12st5sds.jpg
    udy9oy5baji2.jpg

They should call those things squirrel feeders as opposed to bird feeders. The only seed the birds can feed on is the ones the squirrels knock out of the feeder and onto the ground.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    4-1 7k easy
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 8k slow
    4-4 7k moderate
    4-5 7k moderate
    4-6 7k easy
    4-7 rest
    4-8 7k moderate
    4-9 7k easy
    4-10 7k easy
    4-11 7k easy
    4-12 7k moderate
    4-13 7k easy
    4-14 rest
    4-15 7k moderate
    4-16 11k slow
    4-17 7k moderate
    4-18 7k easy
    4-19 7k threshold
    4-20 7k easy
    4-21 rest
    4-22 7k easy
    4-23 7k easy
    4-24 7k moderate
    4-25 11k easy
    4-26 7k moderate
    4-27 7k easy
    4-28 rest

April Total: 177k
    April Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k

2020 Total through March: 509k

Scheduled rest day today. Played golf after yesterday's run and reinforced why it's not good to golf and run on the same day.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Finally got some shots of the black squirrel that has a nest in our yard. This one almost never shows its face when I have a camera ready. As it is these were shot through a closed window using my 300mm zoom lens.
    3t1l12st5sds.jpg
    udy9oy5baji2.jpg

They should call those things squirrel feeders as opposed to bird feeders. The only seed the birds can feed on is the ones the squirrels knock out of the feeder and onto the ground.

The deer were eating out of them till we moved them much higher LOL
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    morning all. back in the office. was hoping to get a run in yesterday but that didn't happen. fell asleep and then rain with rumbles
    saturday i had a meet and greet with the foster. and then i took roody out for a run. he made it 2 miles before he started lagging so we stopped by the river and headed back home. he really impressed me. he walked when i walked. matched my pace when we ran. he ran by my side. he kept checking in with me. the only time it didn't work was with squirrels and mountain bikers in the distance. in our area, we have painted rocks. i find one now and then along the runs. this is a chronically muddy path and i was really struggling staying upright at some parts. then i discovered why when i needed to tie my shoe. 2 different shoes. 1 road shoe. the first time we passed the river he wasn't interested but after 2 miles he jumped right in. i think he'll love walking and hiking. running was not his thing
    ednb4ea0dpft.png
    9yfe2e1s4t13.png
    gz4mjr414kfj.png
    l4vl15ucdiji.png
    970ymj75ruq4.png

sunday the goal was a long run. double digits. at least 13. preferably 16. and that didn't happen. after dropping off roody to his new family, Speed Demon and i found part of the ice age trail. Speed Demon started showing signs of getting too hot and didn't want to drink from the water bottle i had around 3.5 miles which was fine because we hit the end of the trail segment. it felt humid and there wasn't a lot of shade. more people than i'd prefer even social distancing but trail etiquette was mostly followed. i still dislike bikers. more often than not they swing past without announcing themselves. we were also charged by a shihtzu. i was getting ready to punt it but when Speed Demon didn't react, he started following us wagging his tail. we walked him back to his yard and he wandered off. he was cute but didn't get a photo.
    the trail itself was a mix of environments. marsh, city, forest, along the highway, along a golf course. some good hills. I'm glad i took this part of the ice age trail because it was good for me to see how to follow the markings. if i did get lost, which i didn't, i would have been near civilization.
    nd6goqb1umlu.png
    g4o4wkqevkig.png
    o3magrut1zst.png
    soy65ispkq1u.png
    4tj8pcyujizd.png
  • Tramboman
    Options
    3t1l12st5sds.jpg
    udy9oy5baji2.jpg

Be thankful you don't have bears. When we lived in PA, we had to stop feeding about March. If we didn't, the bears would make a shambles of the feeders to get their free post hibernation meal.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Great race @rheddmobile ! You'll beat that train next time! Love all of the wildlife you get to see. I'm allergic to honeysuckle, so I would have been sneezing my head off. I like the smell, but it doesn't like me.

@PastorVincent Cool black squirrel. Thanks for the reminder about the weather and how it affects us.

@mbaker566 That's so funny about the shoes. Hope it didn't throw you off too bad and hurt your back or knees. Looks like a great place to run. Sounds like Roody did great. He looks like a sweet heart. Speed Demon looks like he had fun too!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks for the PSA. Every year I'm like "Why am I slowing down?!?" before I remember . . . oh yeah, I'm working a lot harder in the heat and humidity.

heh, that is actually what reminded me to post it. I was looking at my pace for the last week and I was like "UGH! What happened?" :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    3t1l12st5sds.jpg
    udy9oy5baji2.jpg

Be thankful you don't have bears. When we lived in PA, we had to stop feeding about March. If we didn't, the bears would make a shambles of the feeders to get their free post hibernation meal.

I have not seen any bears since we left Virginia. Snakes, coons, rabbits, mountain lions, eagles, and the like... but no bears yet.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/3 - 3
    4/4 - 3
    4/7 - 3
    4/9 - 2
    4/10 - 3
    4/11 - 3
    4/12 - 2
    4/15 – 3
    4/16 - 3
    4/18 - 3
    4/19 – 3
    4/21 – 2
    4/22 – 3
    4/24 – 3
    4/25 – 4
    4/26 – 3
    4/28 – 3

49 of 40 miles
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Great race @rheddmobile ! You'll beat that train next time! Love all of the wildlife you get to see. I'm allergic to honeysuckle, so I would have been sneezing my head off. I like the smell, but it doesn't like me.

@PastorVincent Cool black squirrel. Thanks for the reminder about the weather and how it affects us.

@mbaker566 That's so funny about the shoes. Hope it didn't throw you off too bad and hurt your back or knees. Looks like a great place to run. Sounds like Roody did great. He looks like a sweet heart. Speed Demon looks like he had fun too!

he was. he was totally untrained. kinda knew sit. his new family is super excited.

speed demon loves her water times. i've been trying to find stuff with water for her especially as it warms up.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Every time I read one of your HAL is happy with me comments I think of this version of HAL
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all, missed a day and fell behind! I’ve read all the updates but too many to respond. Love reading about how different everyone’s running environments are. The most I see in the way of wildlife is the odd pigeon and (since lockdown) a fox or two. The idea of snakes and bears!!!

I missed yesterday’s run as I was exhausted after a terrible sleep and just felt really sad about everything. It’s like I was completely drained of energy. I felt better for the rest today and got out and did a steady 4 miles. Going to try and do a couple of slightly longer runs for the last two days of the month to round out at 115 maybe...

April goal: 75 miles
    April total: 105.2 miles

1/4: 3.6 miles
    2/4: 3.7 miles
    3/4: 3.5 miles
    4/4: 4.1 miles
    5/4: 3.5 miles
    6/4: 3.6 miles
    7/4: 3.5 miles
    8/4: 3.5 miles
    9/4: 3.5 miles
    10/4: 5 miles
    11/4: 4 miles
    12/4: 3.7 miles
    13/4: 3.6 miles
    14/4: 4.5 miles
    15/4: 6.2 miles
    18/4: 5.6 miles
    19/4: 5.1 miles
    20/4: 4.7 miles
    21/4: 3.8 miles
    22/4: 4 miles
    23/4: 3.8 miles
    24/4: 3.9 miles
    25/4: 6.6 miles
    26/4: 4 miles
    28/4: 4.2 miles

March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been known to scream when I see a bee. Encountering a mountain lion on a run would be too much!