May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I always interpreted "nothing new on race day" to be "don't add new equipment." If I trained with a hydration pack, I wouldn't worry about not wearing it on race day. That's just my take. For context, every marathon I've run in the US has had an abundance of aid stations. I'm not sure what the standard is in NZ.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I always interpreted "nothing new on race day" to be "don't add new equipment." If I trained with a hydration pack, I wouldn't worry about not wearing it on race day. That's just my take. For context, every marathon I've run in the US has had an abundance of aid stations. I'm not sure what the standard is in NZ.

@Janejellyroll Definitely applies to food also. I admit I have broken that rule and paid dearly. Example: Tupelo Marathon last year, I normally would not eat past lunch the day before. I got super hungry and had pork rinds in the afternoon. I lost so much time in portajohns and walking because I felt so bad between the runner's stomach and dehydration.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Update on sad COVID-19 news:
    So I heard back from him, and wow. There is no words for just how bad this thing was. After fighting for a MONTH she finally succumbed. I will not share the details, that is not my place, but this was no flu like sickness. Not even remotely.

Such a horrible time for them. If you are the praying type, please pray for them. Thanks.

Please take this COVID-19 seriously. That is all.

So sorry to hear that, @PastorVincent.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate

May Total: 39k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Cloud and mid 40s F this morning. Wind was from the north today; I do not like running into the wind, especially a cold wind. But I should look on the bright side -- there's rain mixed with snow in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,010 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Glad you heard back from your friend. I hope you stay in touch. He and his family will be in my prayers.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

@Janejellyroll Definitely applies to food also. I admit I have broken that rule and paid dearly. Example: Tupelo Marathon last year, I normally would not eat past lunch the day before. I got super hungry and had pork rinds in the afternoon. I lost so much time in portajohns and walking because I felt so bad between the runner's stomach and dehydration.

Absolutely! One of my worst half marathons was a time I deviated from routine and ate a Clif Bar half an hour before the start. Totally miserable! I should have clarified my rule is no new *equipment* and no new *food*.

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon All,

Sorry for my month away, a lot to catch up on. Hopefully everyone has got through the longest month ever and has their eyes on a post-quarantine prize :smiley:

Yeah, so you need to double your miles to catch back up! :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@kgirlhart just a no from me on the snake, he’s a biggin

@Teresa502 they don’t let horses on our local trails, but I see so many on the farms alongside our greenways, such beautiful animals. Congrats on the virtual HM.

@hanlonsk love your expectation vs reality picture ha ha that’s a great pet, no fuss no muss.

@ereilly311 I’m late but welcome

@brittanystebbins95 so I’m terrible at warming up and stretching, my daughter swears by it, she even started to do yoga. I have to say the people I know who do both very seldom are injured, unless it’s something unavoidable. Skip (daughter) had started getting massages (I know she’s lives the life right) before the stay at home. We have a friend who is a big time running, like qualified for the Olympic trials and she SWEARS going twice a month even helped prevent injury. So like I always tell Skip, do as I say not as I do, and do both.

@mbaker566 super pictures and congrats on the Yeti 24 hour

Holy *kitten* the tornado sirens went off just now and scared the crap out of me (it’s kinda stormy looking and really windy), then I realized it was the first Wednesday of the month at noon. Ha ha

@PastorVincent that’s so sad, glad you heard from him. I’m actually from Toms River NJ

@Avidkeo I have gotten in the habit of wearing a pack even in shorter trail runs because I don’t like having anything in my hands in case I fall  Skip wasn’t allowed to wear her pack which she trained with during her marathon and she was upset since she found out at the last minute. Afterwards she said she wish she had it thought there were aid stations every 3 miles because was using a hand held for water and a belt for nutrition and didn’t like that. She also felt the need to refill her water bottle like a security blanket and wasted time doing so.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Champ is adorable. He'll be a great running buddy! Sorry, but had to laugh at the tornado sirens comment, after I saw that it was just a test. That has to be scary, especially when it's windy and stormy looking. Which begs to question, what would happen if there really was a tornado warning at noon on a Wednesday?

@kgirlhart Sounds like a near perfect run! My pictures never do the subject justice either. The moon was really big and beautiful!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    My plan called for a Foundation Run today of 25 minutes - basically I just do an easy run. I can't seem to keep my HR in Zone 1, but Zone 2 is doable. Since I have been running further most running days, I just can't seem to stop before 30 minutes. So, I continued on to get in 2.5 miles. Also walked a mile. All on the treadmill while watching NCIS.

exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    01/05 1.54 miles
    05/05 2.35 miles
    06/05 2.51 miles

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom - What a lovely dog. Don't think I cud give it up
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo it's funny because I wonder about that too, we'd all die I guess. No actually it goes off for a short time like 10 seconds the most for the test and of course goes on and on if it's really a tornado. Someone probably just needs to say "yep I hear her" and that is the end of the test. Thanks Champs is a sweetie, I'm really trying to get him to want to be with Skip more these dang animals just cling to me.

@mari33a I agree I could never give him up no matter what. We have worked with him at the front door a lot since he was a runner with them and today I was able to open the door and tell him to wait and he just laid down and looked at me until I said okay let's go out. He doesn't even know how to play with toys we finally got him interested in a ball and he's almost to the point of bringing it back when we throw it. It's funny to watch him bounce across the yard with it.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I'm sure your DH will be glad you are being proactive to keep yourself from injuries. I find a lot of difference in how I perform on the TM vs the road. If I've run on the treadmill a lot, I dread going outside, because I know my performance will not be the same and it will feel harder. I'm glad you are getting to run outside and found a reasonable route.

@skippygirlsmom I'm so glad you got Champ. You are going to be so good for him! Makes sense about the tornado siren too.

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @mbaker566 Great job!!! You’re a beast!

@Elise4270 I have peeked at this nutrition group before, but I am actively trying to lose a chunk of weight, so I am going to try to be more active on the page.

@PastorVincent I am so sorry to hear about your friend’s wife. I’m glad you were able to make contact.

@brittanystebbins95 I usually do some walking or jog in place to warm up. I am terrible about stretching after, unless it is a longer run.