May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    To fill y'all in:

Monday 4/27 - Ran 3 miles. Finished around 0930, headache started around noon, noon:30. Finally ended about Thursday (4/30) afternoon/evening. Over the weekend, no coughing or fever, but my body felt like it had been beat with baseball bats & dragged benhind the car. Canceled my blood donation appointment. Monday I felt a little better.

Tuesday 5/5 - Ran 1.5 miles. Ended about 9:15am, headache started about 2-3pm.

I started thinking about it. Realized that this was only the beginning of HM training, and things are only going to get worse. I'm not really enjoying running right now like I was, as I'm too nervous to get headaches, my knees are painful, ankle is still hurting. Decided to take a break from running for a bit. I brought my road bike to the apartment from storage, so I'll walk, bike, yoga & ST, and run when I want to. Maybe I'll get stronger and find joy in it again, maybe this is my body's way of telling me that, after 7 years, my running days are over, no matter how I want to.

Big big hugs. Have you actually had a check up for the headaches?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Glad you had a "glorious" run @Avidkeo . Can't wait to hear about your longer run tomorrow. I hope it is glorious too!

Today's treadmill run is brought to you by Highway to Heaven. The plan called for speed work. I did a 5 minute warm up walk, 10 minutes of easy run, then 5 x 1 minute vigorous effort/2 minutes easy, then 12 minutes easy to get to 3 miles ran. I ended with a cool down walk (enough to make 1 mile total walked). My easy pace was 4.5 mph and my vigorous was 7.0 mph! That's really fast for me and I was proud of myself.

exercise.png

Awww thanks! Woo hoo go you.

@ContraryMaryMary I really need a technical detox. Like I'm going to start turning my phone off too. So yeah this is actually good timing for me.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    May 7th- 3.1miles another 5k and I talked on the phone the whole time so I clearly could have run faster 😂

11.7/50 miles complete
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Weekly race report! Wednesday my husband and I ran the 5th race of the Run the 901 challenge, the 10k. We drove down to our usual railroad access road. Passed another couple doing the same thing (wearing the race shirts and clearly running seriously) on our way to our start, which gave us a nice feeling of camaraderie. The road is still blocked, and this time it was blocked at both ends, so we didn’t have to deal with people zooming down from the open end, getting frustrated, and zooming back. It’s still not safe, though. We did nearly get flattened by a giant king cab which had pulled around the traffic barrels to get back there, and we kept having to watch out for a security guard and a cop patrolling in SUVs.

After last week’s 6 miler I was hopeful I could pull off a sub 1 hour 10k, but then my knee started complaining after my long run and I wasn’t sure I would even be able to run at all. Did a one mile test run and wasn’t hopeful. Gave it two days off, then went out with no expectations whatsoever - I planned to start off running at a sub hour pace and if I ended up walking instead, good enough.

Somehow my gps got set to kilometers instead of miles. Which led to me trying to do math in my head while running, which is not a thing that works. But in any case, I started off strong (road is also downhill at the start) and finished the first half on pace with a little bit of a buffer. However, by then my leg was complaining. Took a walk break, wasn’t sure I would be able to start running again, tried it, then some sort of endorphin thing happened and the pain went away, and by the last mile or so was back on pace with enough left in the tank for a fast finish. However the walk break had eaten up my buffer and I finished in 1:02:26. Which is 6:15 km pace, which I thought was 10 minute mile pace, which is what I had decided to aim for. It’s not, my mental math was off by a couple of seconds a kilometer. Oh well!

So, the million dollar question - did I get away with it, or did I end up making my knee worse? Day after and my knee is sore and I wouldn’t want to run on it today, but not any worse than it was after my long run last week. I don’t feel like I’m doing any lasting damage. My already crooked knee with the “weird” meniscus just hates me running on canted roads. Knee injuries are pretty self-limiting, I’ve been advised in the past about this knee that nothing is going to break or fall off, the only danger is that it might be painful. So as long as it’s not painful to run after a rest day, I plan to keep going. Next week’s race is 8 miles and I’m not sure whether I plan to run the whole thing or not.

We had perfectly beautiful weather for our run, cool and sunny when we started, with a strong breeze. We finished just at dusk and the enormous full moon was shining down the railroad tracks. I tried to take pictures of it but it glared the camera out like trying to photograph the sun. It was pitch black by the time we walked the two and a half miles back to the car, but it was just lovely.
    pdye5epcl2b9.jpeg

Awesome report! Sorry about the knee, that's so annoying! Hope that it keeps playing somewhat nice and doesn't entirely give up...
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I would definitely go to the doctor and have those headaches checked out!

@Avidkeo I haven’t used Runkeeper in years, but it used to give you pace alerts during runs.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No run last night. I fell asleep sitting on the sofa after dinner, and my husband woke me up around 10:45 to go to bed...I guess I needed the rest.

Hope to get in some good runs/hikes this weekend, as the weather should be cool and beautiful!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I haven’t used Runkeeper in years, but it used to give you pace alerts during runs.

The options she offered did not include RunKeeeper, but for tracking while running RunKeeper has always been for apps. I use my Garmin watch now exclusively but if I did not have it, I would use RunKeeper.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Weekly race report! Wednesday my husband and I ran the 5th race of the Run the 901 challenge, the 10k. We drove down to our usual railroad access road. Passed another couple doing the same thing (wearing the race shirts and clearly running seriously) on our way to our start, which gave us a nice feeling of camaraderie. The road is still blocked, and this time it was blocked at both ends, so we didn’t have to deal with people zooming down from the open end, getting frustrated, and zooming back. It’s still not safe, though. We did nearly get flattened by a giant king cab which had pulled around the traffic barrels to get back there, and we kept having to watch out for a security guard and a cop patrolling in SUVs.

After last week’s 6 miler I was hopeful I could pull off a sub 1 hour 10k, but then my knee started complaining after my long run and I wasn’t sure I would even be able to run at all. Did a one mile test run and wasn’t hopeful. Gave it two days off, then went out with no expectations whatsoever - I planned to start off running at a sub hour pace and if I ended up walking instead, good enough.

Somehow my gps got set to kilometers instead of miles. Which led to me trying to do math in my head while running, which is not a thing that works. But in any case, I started off strong (road is also downhill at the start) and finished the first half on pace with a little bit of a buffer. However, by then my leg was complaining. Took a walk break, wasn’t sure I would be able to start running again, tried it, then some sort of endorphin thing happened and the pain went away, and by the last mile or so was back on pace with enough left in the tank for a fast finish. However the walk break had eaten up my buffer and I finished in 1:02:26. Which is 6:15 km pace, which I thought was 10 minute mile pace, which is what I had decided to aim for. It’s not, my mental math was off by a couple of seconds a kilometer. Oh well!

So, the million dollar question - did I get away with it, or did I end up making my knee worse? Day after and my knee is sore and I wouldn’t want to run on it today, but not any worse than it was after my long run last week. I don’t feel like I’m doing any lasting damage. My already crooked knee with the “weird” meniscus just hates me running on canted roads. Knee injuries are pretty self-limiting, I’ve been advised in the past about this knee that nothing is going to break or fall off, the only danger is that it might be painful. So as long as it’s not painful to run after a rest day, I plan to keep going. Next week’s race is 8 miles and I’m not sure whether I plan to run the whole thing or not.

We had perfectly beautiful weather for our run, cool and sunny when we started, with a strong breeze. We finished just at dusk and the enormous full moon was shining down the railroad tracks. I tried to take pictures of it but it glared the camera out like trying to photograph the sun. It was pitch black by the time we walked the two and a half miles back to the car, but it was just lovely.
    pdye5epcl2b9.jpeg

Awesome report! Sorry about the knee, that's so annoying! Hope that it keeps playing somewhat nice and doesn't entirely give up...

Might give the knee a bit long of a rest now that you have the race done and see how it goes.

Great job though!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    If I am to offer wise and intelligent advise I would say save your money.

I would also likely be a hypocrite. ;)

It's a relief to know im not alone lol
    I'll spend my money on a long sleeve merino top instead.

Great call @Avidkeo
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Great race report @rheddmobile and yoyu have great patience with vehicles. I find myself shouting at cars for being on the road when I want to cross it - the audacity of these people driving on normal roads when I'm there :smiley:

The weather is just not British @Faebert and I was tempted to postpone tomorrow's run but my SO pointed out that if I am not going to run at 20°C I'm not going to run often enough for my target.

Love how your version of slow @T1DCarnivoreRunner is my version of full pelt and keel over after 5k!

Serious question on pace and HR which keeps coming up. Having finally decide to pay my $30 upgrade I get HR reports and I am apparently running at Z4 race pace around 60% of the time. Honestly my pace almost never varies, I am quite happy running at 9:30-10:30 a mile and this was my pace on all my runs up to 15 miles which is as far as I have gone so far. I tried slowing down though I seem to come back to around 10:00 without trying. Any thoughts?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly @T1DCarnivoreRunner
    lol, i don't even get that fast
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,069 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Congratultions on your run! So close to your goal. I'd call that a win. Sounds like a wonderful evening too.

@dreamer12151 Yeah. I think a doctor's visit about the headaches is a good idea. Hang in there.