May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @hanlonsk Garmin uses 5/4 rounding and Strava rounds down. You ran somehere between 2.225 and 2.229 miles.

It makes it hard when you are trying to hit something like 2.23, my Garmin turns to 2.23 and I took 3 more steps and stopped, still rounded down but I didn't want my Garmin to change to 2.24. I never ever stop when my Garmin hits X.0 because that dang strava will go to x.99 ha ha

That is essentially what I did, only I think it was 5-10 steps, I figured I was pushing my luck towards the 2.24. I have had several 2.01 mile runs the last several weeks according to garmin. Because it tells me I hit 2miles and I go a little bit further to be sure. But yeah... normally don’t mind the mismatch, but it annoyed me, yesterday.

If you are trying to hit X.00 there is a trick with the Garmins. Do not stop running when the display turns to.00 but wait for the vibration that signals the mile to stop. It seems that the vibration actually happens at .00 where the display shows the rounded up value.

For 2.23 you could do the same thing by creating a work out where you run 2.23 miles. Run the workout until the watch tells you to stop, not when the display says stop.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Woke up this morning to the news that my uncle had just died. I can't begin to tell you the emotions that went through me. He is my dad's youngest brother, one of 10 siblings (my dad is the oldest son). He had just had a birthday last week - he was 62.
    I went for my long run and thought of him and the last I had seen him in person; which was a very long time ago but nevertheless. During the run I stopped I think 5 times to take calls from relatives and friends. I didn't care that my run was interrupted, and it was actually a good thing. The wind was 15mph gusts at times and that wasn't pleasant. So the breaks were welcome.
    I completed almost 10.5 and headed home. During the run I found out that he had had a fatal heart attack.
    Although I'm so very sad and shocked, I am not surprised at the cause - heart disease runs in my family (I have had triple bypass when I was 32), and many in my immediate and dad's family as well. Yesterday I ran for Ahmaud.

Today I ran for my uncle.

Oh no. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I'm so sorry for the loss of your uncle. Hugs.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 so sorry :(
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 very sorry for your loss. Uncles are the best!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,544 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Sorry for your loss @hamsterwheel6

#IRunWithMaud
    iz3idt8gtvs3.jpg

If you would like a comedic view on gun control and don't mind a bit of swearing this guy is fabulous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 So sorry for the loss of your uncle.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Means a lot.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I’m so sorry for your loss.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,069 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Haha about Champ wanting you to go faster. Sounds like he is going to be a good running companion. I think you can work with him to get him to stop stopping until you let him. Maybe give him the warm up to sniff and then, once you start running just keep going. He'll soon get the idea that he has to keep up. Just a thought. My Tippy doesn't run with me, but when I'm walking and don't want her to stop and she has other ideas, I'll tell her, "Not Stopping." Nine times out of ten that is all it takes and she comes on. That 10th time she is really going potty. For that, I'll stop.

@hamsterwheel6 So sorry for your loss. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

@katharmonic Love the snow picture. Great day for a hike. Not so much for a run.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I wonder if Hobbes tried to eat a caterpillar - some of them have poisonous guard hairs.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,069 Member
    Options
    Today's plan called for 6 miles at an easy pace. I signed up for the Commitment Un-Cancelled 10K, so just went a little further. I kept it at an easy pace. Not trying for any records, unless it was the slowest 10K. :lol: It was a near perfect day to run outside for many of you - 50°F, sunny, light wind. But, I was so not in the mood to run at all and was not feeling the cool weather. I was able to talk myself into a treadmill run. I know. I'm weird.

I ran at a 4.5 mph pace, which kept my HR about where I wanted it to be and felt easy. I did take a walk break after each 14 minutes I ran to get a little water and eat a gummy bear. I'm trying to figure out hydration and nutrition for longer runs. It was intentionally slow - 1:23:41 minutes. I also walked a mile.

exercise.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I'm so sorry. Big hugs.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom Haha about Champ wanting you to go faster. Sounds like he is going to be a good running companion. I think you can work with him to get him to stop stopping until you let him. Maybe give him the warm up to sniff and then, once you start running just keep going. He'll soon get the idea that he has to keep up. Just a thought. My Tippy doesn't run with me, but when I'm walking and don't want her to stop and she has other ideas, I'll tell her, "Not Stopping." Nine times out of ten that is all it takes and she comes on. That 10th time she is really going potty. For that, I'll stop.

@quilteryoyo we taught Macy the difference between her walking leash and keep one leash for running she knew short leash we are running. The problem with Champ is two things he’s not neutered so a lot of the stopping is marking and he’s never been on a leash before. He’s getting the idea if I say let’s go Champ he will keep moving. I do usually stroll around the bottom of the street when we first go out. The downfall to a neighborhood with mailboxes at the curb is everyone has been marked by dogs lol.