May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• robynmac5819
    robynmac5819 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll I’ve done this a couple of times now and I love this method. Especially as I’m getting older, it’s much safer and makes it more enjoyable. I’ll get to running the whole time soon enough.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    May 10th- 2.1 miles

19.03/50.03 miles complete
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @robynmac5819 Welcome. Your approach sounds like very good plan. Hang in there.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,068 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Welcome @robynmac5819 . I too am a fan of the run/walk method, especially to start out.

@katharmonic I love all of the animals you see on your runs. Glad the horse was well behaved.

@Avidkeo What a great place to walk. Your daughters are adorable!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m new, I just started running again 20 days ago. I’m not running outside just yet and refuse till I’m in much better shape, hopefully in 2-3 months. So far still in the stage of me working my way up from walking to running by doing intervals run:walk. I’m taking it really slow and watching my heart rate. I do roll my ankle very easily which is one of the reason I’m waiting till I’m further along in training to run my neighborhood. I have to be very aware of my feet/step. On the days in between I’m trying to walk the neighborhood(lots of hills) and I hope to motivate myself to do some supportive strength training.

I’m trying to run 4 days a week, 3-3.5 miles on my treadmill(Nordic track commercial 1750). My goal is 50 miles this month.

Welcome!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Happy Mother’s Day!
    From my Garmin Forerunner(for whatever reason it doesn’t have my distances the same as my treadmill. It’s always about .25 miles less). I don’t know if my treadmill would be more accurate or not so I’m going to go with the lesser amount.

So...

1) If it is a good quality dreadmill and you are not using a footpod, then the dreadmill is going to be more accurate than the Garmin. Garmin is guessing distance based on arm swing which will only be ballpark

2) If you are using a footpod that has been properly calibrated for you, then the Garmin is more accurate.

3) If the dreadmill is suspect, then the Garmin is more accurate in all cases.

So there you go. :)

• robynmac5819
    robynmac5819 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would think my Garmin watch is off. I’m not using a foot pod. My treadmill is decent, Nordic Track commercial 1750, it’s not the most expensive but it’s a good enough treadmill.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would think my Garmin watch is off. I’m not using a foot pod. My treadmill is decent, Nordic Track commercial 1750, it’s not the most expensive but it’s a good enough treadmill.

You can adjust the miles on the Garmin watch when you do a dreadmill run. I forget the button combination but you can basically tell it it "No I ran 10.0 miles, not 9.25 miles" and it will update all the stats to reflect it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo - love that preserve! So beautiful and your girls are so adorable!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @avidkeo - love that preserve! So beautiful and your girls are so adorable!

Yes!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,068 Member
    Options

You can adjust the miles on the Garmin watch when you do a dreadmill run. I forget the button combination but you can basically tell it it "No I ran 10.0 miles, not 9.25 miles" and it will update all the stats to reflect it.

I didn't know that. I just ignore what Garmin says and use treadmill distance for my own personal charts. I'll have to look into that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I didn't know that. I just ignore what Garmin says and use treadmill distance for my own personal charts. I'll have to look into that.

I don't know how to do that on the watch, but after loading to Garmin Connect, I know I can edit on the app or website. It's already been sent to Strava by then, though.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I don't know how to do that on the watch, but after loading to Garmin Connect, I know I can edit on the app or website. It's already been sent to Strava by then, though.

You can do it on the watch before you save the run. I think when you hit stop on the run (assuming you told it it was a dreadmill run) you can then scroll down in the menu and pick "Calibrate & Save" and then edit the run. It is supposed to learn from such calibration to be right next time, but IME without the footpod, it will never really do a great job.