May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I missed your post on your HM super job, that is a great time especially on your own.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    So I've done the math and I think I've done like 9 half marathons as of late, not including all the other miles. I got 150 miles for April and I'm somewhere near 50 for May. My full moon 50K is in July, but I think we're only doing the 25K.

Here's the thing. I have not done any cut back weeks.

The other thing. My injuries are healing well and I am SO excited and will continue to strength train because it's obviously helping.

Finally.

I really want to run twenty miles on Saturday because the farthest I have run to date, when I was training for my marathon, is 18.

That would be a five mile jump from what I've been doing lately.

Yay or Nay?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart ahhh well done! Sorry I missed it when you first posted. You will totally nail the PR in your next run!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Re the treadmill running with watches, I'm pretty sure on all watches you have the option AFTER a tm run to calibrate it, when you save there is another menu to click/select to say what you actually ran that run. Then NEXT time you run on that treadmill it should be calibrated for that run. It will never be perfect, but much closer anyway.

But you will have to Google how to calibrate each watch. Mine is touchscreen, so I tap the menu option.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    I had a good 6.5k run yesterday, and today is a rest day, so I'm about to go for a good walk then do some strength training. I was on call last night and had one call out so am a little sleepy. Yay for rest day.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    So I've done the math and I think I've done like 9 half marathons as of late, not including all the other miles. I got 150 miles for April and I'm somewhere near 50 for May. My full moon 50K is in July, but I think we're only doing the 25K.

The other thing. My injuries are healing well and I am SO excited and will continue to strength train because it's obviously helping.

Finally.

I really want to run twenty miles on Saturday because the farthest I have run to date, when I was training for my marathon, is 18.

Yay or Nay?

A 5 mile jump in one week is HUGE! the maximum recommended is only 10%. So realistically only a 2 mile increase at most.

At least that's the advice if you want to continue to avoid injury.

I'm following Hal Higdon marathon training, and the maximum increase from week to week is in think 3k, so 2 miles. That said, 2 weeks before the marathon I run 32k, so 10k or 6 miles short of the full distance. So I guess it is done? But then it's preceded by, a Cutback week, and followed by a taper.

I would suggest a Cutback week, then do your big run.

But Im definitely not an expert.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Thanks @Avidkeo! And @Camaramandy648 I agree with Avidkeo's advice.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll - That sounds like such a great way to run the race! It wouldn't work clearly, for bigger races but for smaller ones it seems like a perfect solution!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I had (in the before times) signed up for a trail 10-miler and it's one of the rare races that hasn't been cancelled, just changed. They are inviting runners to sign up for individual slots Tuesday-Sunday (one runner can start every five minutes) and just practice social distances as we normally would on the trails (they are not closed in my area). I grabbed a spot for tomorrow afternoon and one for Saturday morning (we can run as many times as we'd like as long as there are open spots). I may grab a couple more before the week is up, it's supposed to be really fine weather this week. I'll just have to make sure my enthusiasm doesn't give me too many miles for the week.

Oh interesting. I read an article in Runner's World (I think?) about the new normal for racing and staggered starts are one of the main things they talked about.

I don't understand the multiple slots though? Are you doing ust part of the 10 miles or running the whole thing multiple times? Is it a loop situation? Just curious about how this is working!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I agree. Take it in smaller increments, like add 1-2 miles each week, with maybe a cutback week thrown in there sometime.

@katharmonic so sorry for your loss! 😢
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,016 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Love the shoes. So sorry for your loss.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic sorry to hear about your cousin.
    @janejellyroll that different time slots sounded strange to me too. Our trail race in June hasn't been cancelled yet so they are thinking staggered starts, no aid stations and a way to handle awards afterwards.

• kgirlhart
    Options
    Nice shoes @katharmonic and @quilteryoyo.

I'm so sorry for your loss @katharmonic.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Finally.

Yay or Nay?

Definitely take a cut back week - I think you are just playing roulette with your body right now and sooner or later your turn will be up.

You can probably do the 20 miles now if you wanted to and tapered a bit before it. That is pretty much how marathon training plans work. You run at most 18-20 miles, then you run 26 on race day. That being said... the 10% rule of thumb is a good way to prevent injury and build a strong base to carry you in the long term.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    In sad news, one of my cousins died unexpectedly. He was just 5 years older than me, and he suffered a massive stroke last week and was taken off life support yesterday. It was apparently not COVID related, he had been battling throat cancer so it may have related to that in some way. I have not personally been in contact with him for years, but I am devastated for his family. My mom is sad that she can't be with her brother and sister-in-law at this time, they are quite close. Not being able to do the normal things is so hard, and must be so isolating for his family.

Those are cool shoes! But I am sorry to hear about your loss :(