May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    0510-10.3k, total-29.3k goal-100k

Summer really is here. I'll have to remember to bring water for anything longer than 10km from now on.

Not much to report (seems we're getting into a theme here). Lots of people in the park, especially with their kids. All kinds of runners both fast and slow. Saw a woman walking four Corgis. Much power to her.

Oh and my scale finally is dead. It's been cranky since forever and this morning it gave up the ghost for good. Wonder if I should get a new one or just eat by feel for a few months and see what happens? Seems like a pretty good recipe for disaster.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Went out for a test run and ended up walking, knee feels like it wants another couple of days. I did do 2.23 for Ahmaud, took a screenshot of the mileage, then went on to do four something in total.

It’s not snowing here like it is for some of y’all but it was 40 degrees instead of 80 something, a big drop in a short time.

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Haha about Champ wanting you to go faster. Sounds like he is going to be a good running companion. I think you can work with him to get him to stop stopping until you let him. Maybe give him the warm up to sniff and then, once you start running just keep going. He'll soon get the idea that he has to keep up. Just a thought. My Tippy doesn't run with me, but when I'm walking and don't want her to stop and she has other ideas, I'll tell her, "Not Stopping." Nine times out of ten that is all it takes and she comes on. That 10th time she is really going potty. For that, I'll stop.

@quilteryoyo we taught Macy the difference between her walking leash and keep one leash for running she knew short leash we are running. The problem with Champ is two things he’s not neutered so a lot of the stopping is marking and he’s never been on a leash before. He’s getting the idea if I say let’s go Champ he will keep moving. I do usually stroll around the bottom of the street when we first go out. The downfall to a neighborhood with mailboxes at the curb is everyone has been marked by dogs lol.

Unfortunately neutering will not stop marking... apparently marking is a learned behavior, not an instinctive one due to hormones. Even my spayed female lifts her leg against a tree on occasion.
    I've got a neutered male dog who marks EVERYTHING (thankfully only OUTSIDE) but he's such a pain in the *kitten* to take running because he's constantly trying to stop and I'm constantly trying to drag him along. My pace would be so much faster if it wasn't for dealing with his shenanigans. *Sigh* He's lucky he's cute.
    If anyone figures out how to train the behavior out of them while running, please send some pointers my way... He's 7 and this has been an issue running with him for the last 5 years or so and I don't see it stopping any time soon.
    I can give him a light butt tap, yell, "No!" or "Leave it!" or "Move it!" or basically anything and He. Does. Not. Care.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate

May Total: 71k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Cloudy and low 40s today, with a breeze from the south. Felt a little tired today - figured it was the long run yesterday and the sixth consecutive day of running. Looking forward to tomorrow's rest day.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 - I echo what @quilteryoyo suggested with one caveat. He needs motivation to not stop and sniff/mark so I would take some cheese or other high value treats along then give him a command to stay with you, whatever you want to use or have been using and when he does for a bit (maybe past a tree he would normally stop at) pop him say the command and pop him a treat. One thing to consider is if you want to train this behavior when you are walking or just running. For the most part Hobbes knows now when we are running not to stop and to stay right with me and that when we are walking he can sniff a bit and pee/mark things. I do walk the first 0.5 mile or so and let him do his thing so that once I start running he doesn't have much interest in sniffing and marking any longer. I do not use a short leash though, I have a waist (hands free) leash so I don't have to hold it. If he is being a goof and not staying with me I can still easily rein him in.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo @shanaber

Thank you for the tips! I will certainly try them. As much as I love him, behavior/stubbornness wise, he is the worst dog I have ever owned. I've trained so many dogs, and he is the only one that has given me a run for my money. He is so bullheaded and when we get outside, there isn't a single reward that can interest him. Food, toys, it does not matter. I no longer exist and he just wants to smell/pee on/bark at the things.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 so sorry for your loss. :(<3
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hope all the moms here have a wonderful day!
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Happy mothers day to you running moms out there! Motherhood is the ultimate marathon!🥇
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @katharmonic Dog mom checking in. And my little guy kept waking me up after 3:30 AM today because he was nervous about something, so I feel like I had a glimpse into human mom life (at least the sleep deprivation part). :D

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m

• janejellyroll
    Options
    @robynmac5819 Welcome! I began running with the run/walk interval method, I'm a huge fan of it.