May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Serious question on pace and HR which keeps coming up. Having finally decide to pay my $30 upgrade I get HR reports and I am apparently running at Z4 race pace around 60% of the time. Honestly my pace almost never varies, I am quite happy running at 9:30-10:30 a mile and this was my pace on all my runs up to 15 miles which is as far as I have gone so far. I tried slowing down though I seem to come back to around 10:00 without trying. Any thoughts?

First - unless you customized the HR Zones for yourself, they are probably wrong :)

Second - HR is more closely related to EFFORT than PACE. Weather, road conditions, elevation, slope, your level of recovery, distance, and the like all change the amount of EFFORT needed to hold a given pace on any given run.

Third - If you can hold a steady state at 10 min/mile without really trying for 15 miles, that is not your race pace for any distance 15 miles or less. :) But it might be for 15 miles and farther.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I would definitely go to the doctor and have those headaches checked out!

I missed the post with the headaches in it, but had I read it I would surely agree! Call you doctor.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly @mbaker566 Ok, fair enough. The targeted pace is for the first week of a 16 week plan (i.e. week 16) to run a 4:00 marathon. Mind you, this is an agressive improvement over my current PR of 4:38 (everything happened perfectly to even do that as I am normally around 5 hrs).

I was able to do the same run last week with the 2 miles at threshold in zone 5 (HR average 174) at 8:22 pace average. This week, I just couldn't reach the same speed. Part of the discouragement is because I was so much slower this week than last.

I'm trying to improve to a 4:00 marathon from my current PR and may not be able to do it this year at this point. A BQ for my AG is 3:05. After the cut-backs, I need to be close to 3:00 to actually run Boston. This is probably never going to happen.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Been watching the news about the young runner.

As a non American, I'm just gobsmacked. I just don't understand the culture that says "armed citizens" is a good idea, let alone "citizen arrests".

I'm even more horrified and appalled that the police were not going to do anything until the footage came out.

I don't know the answer, and it saddens me that one person can think that of another.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks for the shoe suggestion. I see that REI has them. Hopefully soon I can try them to see how they fit.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo awesome job on your long run!! Well done. It looks beautiful there. I'm jealous of the sun and the view.

And believe me, as person from the US I'm also horrified by gun culture and the idea of citizen vigilantism. I will never understand it.

@rheddmobile that's such a statement, isn't it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Avidkeo awesome job on your long run!! Well done. It looks beautiful there. I'm jealous of the sun and the view.

Ditto! Well done!
  • renydo2
    renydo2 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Kind of a late start - but I’ll see if I can catch up!
    2 miles with the dogs today!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @katharmonic sorry my snowy May weather made it clear over your way. Fair warning, since winds are bringing square state weather your way....today was a respite, and I ran in a tank and shorts- but based on the forecast, it is once again a trick- precip is in the forecast for most of the next week, and until Monday temps could create snow. So for you, until Tuesday?

Got my 2.23 today. My “day off” from work turned into 8 hours of work without a lunch break. So, the significantly underfueled state led to a rather terrible feeing run. The podcast that happened to be lined up for my run was a “behind the bas-tards” (trying to not get kittened here) that was covering yet another awful white supremacist/group....that and the self induced suffer-fest seemed very fitting for #irunwithmaud

2.23 today = 15.49/50

kim0lbi3a0vc.jpeg

ETA- in this particular instance ... it frustrates me that Strava read the garman info as 2.22- normally I don’t care... but why can’t it match???