WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Pip hope you got good news at your dental appointment. Hope you heal up quickly.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Lisa: It is good to see your post today. I’ve missed seeing you lately. :star:

Margaret: I hadn’t thought of Ann Margret in ages. What a beautiful home! :smiley:

Peachy: Over 100 deaths in your county is so sad. I am sorry for your county’s losses. :broken_heart:

We are counting our blessings. There have been 15 cases in our county, and no deaths. More densely populated counties have higher virus cases and death tolls. Portland, Beaverton and Salem have the highest death counts in our state.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Welcome new gals, I enjoy learning about you and those pictures you are sharing. This is the place to be!

Katiebug - What a sad situation regarding the virus and that beauty shop - almost a perfect storm. :(

Pip - we took up a collection and Amazon will be delivering an industrial size roll of bubble wrap to you. Please encase yourself before leaving the house, lol. B)

Machka - great photos, as always. Loved the cartoon with the doctor using the patient as a dart board, lol.

The clinic I go to isn't getting many patients these days. I don't think they are hurting too much from lack of income as it's a "direct care" facility where everyone pays a monthly fee, tho they do take walk-ins getting CDL exams and just people who don't have a regular doctor and needs to see one quickly. They are also doing virus and antibody testing. As of last week, negatives on both.

Our health department reports no new positives in the past week or so in our little county. An average of 25 tests are being done per day on folks with symptoms and they are all Covid-19 negative so far. Looks like colds, allergies, and other flu's are making the rounds.

Does anyone know if the antibody test is being covered by insurance or the government? Last I heard it was $55 out of pocket. If that's the case, there might be lots of folks with antibodies who had very mild cases but can't afford to be tested. Hard to keep up with all this.

Karen in VA
    - I could feel your joy holding that little one. Your description of your perfect day gave me a lift. <3 Always look forward to the views from a window you post.

Terri - you share such nifty photos of your countryside, it's almost like being there. Thanks and please continue. Another terrific point of this group - it's like a travelogue, lol.

Penny
    - that bread looks SOOOO GOOOOD. I have a recipe for "Cuban Bread" which is baked in a bowl that I haven't tried yet, I'm not sure I have any bowls I'd trust in the oven. I might try it with a casserole dish one of these days though.

The bulk of tomatoes in our greenhouse are leaving today.... I'm going to jet a Sungold (sweet orange cherry tomato) over to a town nearby this morning and meet my girlfriend who is trading one of her home grown impatiens for it. Then this afternoon my other girlfriend is coming and it looks like I have 16 or 20 for her! What she doesn't use she'll pass along to relatives and neighbors. Temps in the 80's this weekend so it looks like great planting weather.

I hope to get our few in the ground tomorrow and heap more dirt onto the potato patch.

Rita
    - do you know the name of the tomato in the photo you shared? Is it a container type? I discovered one last year called Little Sicily which is really compact and produces a lot of good tomatoes for its size - yours reminds me of it.

Like Carol and Heather and Machka and others in this group, we aren't having much distress over this new way of life. We are saving money for sure by just buying less - fewer trips to town to "shop". I miss eating lunch with my girlfriends every couple weeks but I think that will resume in another month or so - no reason we can't grab a take-out and meet at a picnic table somewhere and catch up. Sounds like good fun, actually. Restaurants get SO noisy and crowded, I never liked them that much anyhow.

Thinking about Rori and Kylia this morning. Sending good thoughts your way.

OK ladies, time to get busy around here. Make it a fabulous day!! <3

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State

LMAO!! THANKS
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Tomato is a Bush type I got at Walmart. No name other than Bush tomato. I picked 2 of them this morning!

Got some infused oils and vinegars from my son for Mother’s Day yesterday! They are awesome!

RV Rita

ooyefiv9iuqr.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :)Pip, you are good at following directions for your health so you should do well in taking care of your teeth and giving them the best chance to recover.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    So today I made some quick cole slaw, for my meal at 3 pm. Just cabbage, mayo, ground mustard, sugar and a splash of vinegar. After mixing it I took a bite. Dang it, I opened up my eating window! So instead of doing a 18 hour fast it was only a 14/15 hour fast. My tacos I had yesterday, while good, they lacked enough protein, so at 8 pm I was hungry! I had a broken taco with a cup of avocado, and also a warmed up street taco sized tortilla with two slices of roast, with mayo and ketchup. Unfortunately starting eating triggers your appetite, so my belly was topsy turvy for a bit in bed. I should've just dealt with the hunger pangs. I don't like going to bed with food on it. So with my cole slaw I had an outdoor bun with cut up roast beef, mayo and ketchup and a slice of cheddar. Then after, I ate Lee's potato skin from the other night. Just cut it up, with a sprinkling of cheddar, and a small dipping bowl of sour cream. It was yummy. I ate from 11:15 to 2:15 pm. Already closed my window, so I will just have water until 12 noon tomorrow to get 21/22 hours in.👍 Anything over 20 hours is good for me.
    Love the beautiful photos!
    💖Rebecca

>>>

I'm thinking of doing this to shake things up a bit. Your recent photos look as if you've lost a fair amount of weight? Do you feel comfortable bragging a little? what progress have you made since the first of the year? I need a boost.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Pip hope you got good news at your dental appointment. Hope you heal up quickly.

Ditto this j3m45nt3y3r4.png
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    You ladies certainly talk a lot! I forget about this site because I don't get notifications so I have to consciously think about coming here. 300+ posts since I last checked in!

I've gained back roughly 10 Covid pounds. My downfall is afternoon stress eating. I've changed our eating schedule a bit - since we are now in the triple digits consistently here, I have to get out early to get a 4 mile walk in. So I have a cup of coffee, then head out no later than 7:30 am. Protein shake when I get home an hour or so later, followed by brunch/breakfast at 10:30-11:00 - usually an omelet with eggs, meat of some kind and cheese, English muffin or toast and fruit. Then I have been forcing myself not to eat again until around 2, when I'll have yogurt and fruit. My downfall has been if I sneak some chocolate chips or pretzels. Once I start, I keep going back for more! I have to tame that monster. Right now it's 4:30 and I'm starving but not going to start dinner for at least another 45 minutes.

In addition to the walking, I've added back in body weight workouts, both from here and from my gym, 3 days a week. I have lost so much muscle mass it's ridiculous. I can't wait until the gym opens up again - however it may look, which is a huge unknown at this point. My husband and I are also riding still - this past Saturday was a shorter ride - just shy of 20 miles, but that route is uphill for the first half so it's definitely more challenging. If we get out early enough this coming Saturday, we hope to get back to 30 miles. That also means being out the door by 7 if possible. The hard part is getting up early enough to be able to leave that early!

I've been spending time on genealogy the past two days. One thing about genealogy is that you can go down so many rabbit holes! I have been corresponding with distant cousins in Australia, Canada and England - really connecting to my Great Britain roots (I'm 70% English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish and Hungarian!). We verified, through DNA that my father is in fact 1/2 Scottish. We knew it, but it was nice to have that DNA proof, even if we don't have any legally written proof. I'm also working on a quilt-along.

Kids are making dinner for me at my son's house on Sunday for our Mother's Day celebration. Can't go out to eat, but at least I don't have to cook! It won't be low calorie - stuffed chicken parmesan, but that's ok.

I'll try to make it a habit when I open up MFP to log my food to remember to check in here as well!
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,433 Member
    So today I made some quick cole slaw, for my meal at 3 pm. Just cabbage, mayo, ground mustard, sugar and a splash of vinegar. After mixing it I took a bite. Dang it, I opened up my eating window! So instead of doing a 18 hour fast it was only a 14/15 hour fast. My tacos I had yesterday, while good, they lacked enough protein, so at 8 pm I was hungry! I had a broken taco with a cup of avocado, and also a warmed up street taco sized tortilla with two slices of roast, with mayo and ketchup. Unfortunately starting eating triggers your appetite, so my belly was topsy turvy for a bit in bed. I should've just dealt with the hunger pangs. I don't like going to bed with food on it. So with my cole slaw I had an outdoor bun with cut up roast beef, mayo and ketchup and a slice of cheddar. Then after, I ate Lee's potato skin from the other night. Just cut it up, with a sprinkling of cheddar, and a small dipping bowl of sour cream. It was yummy. I ate from 11:15 to 2:15 pm. Already closed my window, so I will just have water until 12 noon tomorrow to get 21/22 hours in.👍 Anything over 20 hours is good for me.
    Love the beautiful photos!
    💖Rebecca

>>>

I'm thinking of doing this to shake things up a bit. Your recent photos look as if you've lost a fair amount of weight? Do you feel comfortable bragging a little? what progress have you made since the first of the year? I need a boost.

Read up on "Autophagy". Its the reason why many do this. If I start my fasting for the next day between like 2 and 4 pm, then most of my fasting is done while I sleep. Many say this autopsy (or bodys own healing powers) happen after 12 hours fasting. You might have a metallic taste in your mouth which means your body is in Ketosis. That means your body has switched its fuel source from sugar to fat.
    I started intermittent fasting February and was 238/240 lbs. Now I am 228/230 so not a big difference but I feel so much better. My skin feels better, and my face feels less puffy. The major thing has been that my skin condition called lichen sclerosis, which is manageable but has no cure has gone into a bit of a remission. For that fact alone, and I am not applying the prescribed steroid cream every week, I will eat like this forever. Buy the book Dely, Don't, Deny by Gin Stephens, she also has a Facebook group, which is really helpful.💖
    💖Rebecca
    I am by no means telling people to fast, just informing.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Patrick Goudeau’s Dumb Training and Play Ball DVD. Like expected, this one isn’t going to make the cut. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tracy Long’s Step Forward DVD. Not sure what that one’s about

Rebecca – what a neat idea to get a magazine subscription! Have to make a note and remember that

Tracey – cute helping fairy

Bananas – how do they know if you have gone out for more than 1 hr? Or are they relying on the honesty of people? My neighbor made two masks for me, a friend of mine made two masks for me as a surprise, and Vince had 3 (believe it or not, they are N95’s) from when he used to cut the grass. Guess we’re well covered. We will probably wash the masks between each use.

One thing I find interesting – at the soup kitchen there is usually one guy (along with someone else but there’s been multiple people doing that job) who gives out the lunch bags and I’ve never seen him wearing a mask. Yet, he’s in contact with a lot of people. OK, I’m not good with measurements, but I don’t think he’s 6’ away from people.

M – that cartoon about the flu shot reminds me of how they had these markings on the floor at the post office where 6’ away was from the teller (this was before they had the plexiglass installed). That just made me laugh to myself. What were you supposed to do – throw the package to the teller????

Steve (Vince’s friend) called last night. He’s driving from his place in FL to his place in PA and is going to be stopping here may 18.

Heather – happy anniversary!

Regarding telemarketers: if I don’t recognize that number, same as Viv I let it go to answering machine. I figure if it’s important, they’ll leave a message. The only time I do answer the phone is if the person calls twice in a row like the hospital did. I answered on the second call

Karen VA – what lovely birds in that picture

Tonya – should we be allowed to go to concerts, I’m sure the price of the tickets will skyrocket since they’ll probably not be able to seat as many people. No way in the world was your post a downer, it is a part of you that we want to know about

They’re going to start opening NC this Friday. I’m just hoping it’s not too soon. I guess only time will tell

Started a new c2c. This time it’ll be a scarf. It’s a different pattern, too. It’s a good thing too, I like to do something when Steve is here. I know he talks a lot, I think he’s mostly lonely and Vince is one of the few people he can really converse about computers with (remember, he used to work for Vince)

Now this is REALLY weird for me. I will have to go to the store to buy meat, but you know something, in a way I don’t want to, I just don’t want to leave the house. It’s a nice day so maybe I’ll take a walk down to the store. The meat shouldn’t be that heavy to walk home with. Update: I drove

I made some of the butter flavor noodles for Vince and had to try some to see if the noodles were cooked all the way or not. Boy, are they salty. Or should I say, boy am I sensitive to salt now.

Boy, has it gotten cold. Today Vince put more lights out and he had to splice wires etc. I helped him lift the cap on the stone wall. Is that ever heavy!

Well, I’d better post this. I remember seeing something about MFP being down for maintenance sometime tonight.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) Windy today so I couldn't bring myself to work in the yard. Walked the dogs as usual. Had a great day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    SuszieQ great pics!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Michele - I find it interesting that NC is "opening up" as there were so many things open there that here have been closed since March 16 and will be closed until May 31 at the earliest. The San Francisco bay area has 9 counties and they are going slower than the rest of CA which is fine by me.

Kim in N. CA