WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

It's the start of a new week and it should be a very busy one. My plan was to take vacations days from Thursday through Tuesday. Work put a kabash on that plan since the corporate folks decided it was a good time to go live with the new software on the 18th. Hm, when did I officially find out.....last week. It seems crazy to go live now especially since everyone has been remote since March and people will just be "allowed" to visit the corporate office on Friday. Our office is not yet prepared for employees to return. The project is almost two years behind so what is another few months. Greater minds than mine obviously make these decisions. What is even more interesting two team members who are critical to one portion of the project just go their working log ins on the 1st. I have yet to train them. I sit here and shake my head. It is all that I can do.

I am trying to decide if I should still take Thursday and Friday off. I had big plans for the weekend. First and foremost the master bedroom was going to be painted. I was going to spend this past weekend prepping and decided against that since I do not know if I will even be able to take those days off. Urg......

Barbie - When I saw the pic of Bernie I thought his look said it all, where the heck are the humans and why is my bowl empty????

Michele - I think you have me confused with someone else. I am childless unless you count Smokey the Cat. The flowers and candy were purchased by me in honor of both Charlie and Greg who always made sure I had Mother's day presents and cards from Precious and/or Smokey. And, I am a true believer if we do not treat ourselves at the standard we expect others to treat us we will never be treated to our expectations.

Machka - You and your mom could pass as sisters. Lovely picture of the two of you.

Rebecca - Oh, the Athena pictures are adorable. She is getting so big. I am sure you cannot wait for things to start loosening a little. Also extremely happy you got to see/hear from your son. I am sure it put your mind at rest.

Barbara - Your parents were a beautiful couple.

Lisa - When mom left my dad for what was finally the last time we did not have any type of furniture. We hunted the better neighborhoods for furniture, cleaned it up or refinished it, and eventually the apartment was fully furnished (long story but dad basically gave us lawn chairs, one pot, one pan, 3 place settings, and two twin beds for me and my brother and our clothes- which was all very legal). And, yes, to be poor is one thing to be trash is another. We could eat off of the floors.

In my early 20s (23 to be exact) I started buying myself something special for my birthday. I thought, if I do not celebrate myself how will anyone else celebrate me. Over the years presents may have been a trip or a spa day or just a special meal I made for myself. This year was to get the darn upstairs painted and I am having a hard time reconciling the fact I must give up some of my plans for work. My boss was sympathetic and would have been fine with me adjusting my days to last Friday and today, but my work days were planned in order to take the time off. I am really f'in pissed to tell everyone the truth. Over the next day or so I will let this anger go because it is a waste of my energy. But it does reinforce my plan to retire as soon as I can and to keep plucking away at the retirement plan. And, believe me I am so grateful to have a job right now in light of many others who are struggling right now. And, my covert side thinks.....it is one way to take advantage of the situation and make sure this asinine project gets done (hell, they look bad enough with it being so far behind). Oh, I could go on and on but fear I would bore most of you to death for I am sure many have felt the same way over the years with your employers.

I wish I could comment on everyone's posts but the clock tells me it is time to get started with the work morning routine. :heart:

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ - SFL
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Amber What a sweet expression your mother had in that photo. She sounds like a gentle soul.

Michele I bet lots of people are planning to stock up on meat! If meat becomes scarce, we are going to use more plant sources of protein, and keep eating eggs. I figure it won't last forever, and it is an opportunity to expand my vegetarian cooking skills.

Annie I am so sorry you didn't get a Mother's Day phone call. There were a few times when I was working or otherwise preoccupied & didn't call my wonderful mother on Mother's Day. I can't believe it now, when I think back. Granted, we talked almost every Saturday morning, but it hurts my heart now to think that I let even one Mother's Day go by without calling.

Barbara I adore the photo of your folks. My parents were married May 8, 1943, one of many wartime marriages. - I see you are still working on that stove project. I wonder if you'll name your stove Elsa after your aunt.

Rebecca I love Athena - such a sweet girl in her hat, clutching a tiny yellow flower. And your meal photos! You and SuziQ may be interested in a thread I used to follow on MFP - "What do your meals look like (show me pictures)" https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44990348#Comment_44990348

Ginny Ohio
    "Glad to hear everyone seems to have had a good day. I also thought about my mom a lot. She was a strong woman, widowed at 30 with four children 8 years to 6 months (that was me!). She raised us on her own, never took government assistance, and taught us how to work and how to love each other and life."

- What a resilient survivor your mother was.

>>>

Katla 'Library to Go' sounds great. I'm going to see what online resources we have here.

Allie Your sister-in-law's mother could not be in better hands. Good luck for a smooth transition into your hands on Wednesday.

>>>

Heather Your friend's pilot dad Ken Emmett sounds like quite a guy. Dashing and fearless. It looks as if he lived to be nearly 80 if I'm reading about the right fellow. Died about a year ago - Feb 2019.

That wisteria has been carefully tended, shaped, and trained. Gorgeous.

Edie's fearless cold-water swimming! What a girl she is!!

>>>

Barbie I'm so glad you got what you wanted for Mother's Day - no gift, no card, and no acknowledgment - as if it were just any ordinary day. It's actually really hard for people not to do or give "something". The people who care about you are respecting your wishes and it's admirable.

I so love that photo of your mother holding baby you. Your little hand was gently clutching her arm. So sweet. She had a great smile.

>>>

Tracy - Adorable photo of you, your mom & brother. Super cute outfit you were wearing!

Tonya What a privilege it is to look at your photographs. All of them so far are like jewel boxes, full of color and richness. The little girl leaning forward in the field of sheep captured my imagination. Beautiful work.

Lanette
    "What I remember most about my mom is her way of listening and being interested in everything we did and said. I am trying my best to replicate that talent and not interrupt to tell "my story" or give unasked for advice. :o It's an art. The art of shutting up I guess, lol."

-There is a lesson for me in your words about your mom. Honoring others by focusing on their story, rather than my own, is a gift I can give more often.

Lisa!!! I'm glad your mower committed hara-kiri instead of Manslaughter by Shrapnel. Geez, that story raised the hair on the backs of my arms. Good on you re: that privacy fence. Hope you get good neighbors next time.

Luci Your grown-up children are a handsome lot!

Carol Ahhhhh!!! The photos of your folks and then the older version of your mom. So great. Thank you.

And I agree with you "KAY ~ Looking good! :)"

>>>

To all of you that I didn't address personally, and those who are away from our thread these days, I love you and wish a wonderful week ahead for each and every one of you.

>>>

p.s. PIP you better hurry up and tell us that opossums-in-the-bathroom story before we all burst of anticipation. Why you leave us hanging like that? Pip? Pip? you there, Pip?

>>>

Karen in Virginia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Karen - I only met him a couple of times, but he was very handsome and soooooo dashing - yes! I think he must have been older than that. His wife was a bit precious and liked the heating on really high. He was forever having to put in an extra radiator! I was around 19 or so then. Those seaplanes are amazing. :D<3
    It wasn't that guy I don't think as my friend is called Adrienne and he would be too old as he flew the planes in the war.
    ejt8tqu3ov2t.jpg

The window cleaner has arrived and is doing them now. He has a long squirty pole. :D I pay him online.

Walking over at 2 pm with the Sweaty Betty leggings for DDIL. I hope they fit! She wanted XS. :o Hope we will be able to say hello to the grandchildren.

Now to write. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)<3o:)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:) And for the proofreaders---the caption on my picture should have said "Bernie hopes for food"

<3 Barbie in NW WA

>>>

Oh, Barbie, I am laughing at myself right now. When I read the caption on your picture, I did a double-take and thought, "WTH? Barbie wrote that caption? No way…"

K in VA

:) That's what I thought when I saw it. I am cursed with automatic proofreading. I think I'll blame auto-correct on the computer. Clearly I was in a hurry.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka,
    I would love for DH to do some of the shopping & errands. He didn’t want to go in the store so he stayed in the car. I wish he felt good enough to go in with me. I’d have enjoyed his company.

Katla

But isn't it dangerous for him?

My husband stopped taking the bus or walking to shops some time ago. Occasionally, we'll drive or walk together, but only if the places are very quiet. If they are at all busy, he stays outside and I zip in and out as quickly as possible. And we haven't been to the shops in 11 days now.

M in Oz

:) My husband stays home. Yesterday we drove two blocks to carry some yard debris to a designated outdoor dumping site in our neighborhood. No one else was there. He is unlikely to go anywhere until his scheduled appointment with the cancer doctor in June and even that might be changed to phone or video. When I go to the store he stays home and I take off all my clothes and put them in the washer and shower before getting close to him.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ Love the lit up glass blocks. :) You were brave to fool around with those coons. LOL
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Pip, Thanks for telling the story. You were more brave than I would have been.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Pip. thank you.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    :D:D:D
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    And now here is a little gem by a friend of a friend with a little too much time on her hands: https://www.facebook.com/kimyoungart/videos/10219188343553865/
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Monday ...

Work from home

One of the things I've had the opportunity to do while working from home is to delve deeper into some of the things I do to try to understand what's going on better.

Background: 8 months after my husband's accident in 2018, just when I was settling into work again and ramping up my education to try to finish sooner, one of my coworkers moved into another department and I was given most of his jobs. Fortunately, he wasn't far away and was able to run through things with me. But just about everything I've done has been reactive ... "Quick, we've got this deadline coming up ... do this".

It took a year before I felt sort of comfortable doing some of the stuff without much help.

Just before the shut down and moving home, we raced to get a large project done and were then left with a little bit of down time to work on some other things. And so I've been taking my time working through this and that and figuring out a few things. :)

In a couple weeks, we'll be back into the midst of another big project (they're quarterly). But hopefully I'll feel slightly more ready for it.

Exercise

I took a midday break to walk around the house (outside) with Rhody. He does the rounds now ... but takes a long time get all the way around because he's got to sniff at this, and chase that, and climb things. Nevertheless it means I get to stand and walk a little bit which is better than sitting all day!

Then I went downstairs to walk on the treadmill with my new trail shoes! I was hoping to get to the trails, but it was raining over the weekend and looked like rain today and I didn't know what kind of condition the trails would be in.

So ... on the treadmill, with Zwift:

Distance: 6.11km
    Pace: 10:59/km
    Moving Time: 1:07:08
    Elapsed Time: 1:07:52
    Calories: 200

It was raining through part of the walk in the Zwift world!
    dbtxqj883ipo.png

Cycling Club

I did not want to spend this evening working on cycling club stuff. :angry: But other States are anxious to get riding again and want an announcement from the National Committee that we're opening things up. My State can't open things up. We're not allowed. But over-enthusiastic members from other States want to make a grand announcement this week. So I ended up editing their document and arguing points in it. As it stands, it is a weird document with so many phrases that have me wondering "why????"

There's a big meeting tomorrow night ... oh joy ... where we're voting on this thing and if it goes up as is my vote will be a firm "NO". And then I might hang up because I've said my piece tonight and really don't want to argue it tomorrow too!

Deep breath!

Tomorrow I've taken the day "off" to work on university stuff. I need to watch a bunch of lectures.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    This morning and most mornings ... especially weekday mornings ...

kvqhri7laray.png

But now I'm headed to bed!

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Hotdog day again y salads. Just in a summer mood! Exercising y Crystal light tea ,Gatorade zero,y water yummy.

Amber Tx