How much is it possible to change body in 5 months?

Options
Just wondering how much I could change my body in 5 months of healthy eating and going from no exercise to exercising or at least walking everyday. What is realistic? Also this I hope is going to be a life change for me not just a five month thing. I know it'll take determination but its obviously possible if you really want it-the success stories on here show that.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depends how much weight you have to lose, but 5 months is a fair bit of time if you're comitted.

whats happening in 5 months?
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's a friends wedding. I'm hoping to lose at least 18-20lbs but not just lose it keep it off. It's the toning up and getting fit i want more. To be able to go shopping without the dread!! The last few months I have done no exercise and ate more then my fair share of take aways !
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how much I could change my body in 5 months of healthy eating and going from no exercise to exercising or at least walking everyday. What is realistic? Also this I hope is going to be a life change for me not just a five month thing. I know it'll take determination but its obviously possible if you really want it-the success stories on here show that.

In just over five months I lost 36lbs and went from a size 14 jean, to a size 6 :) I did alternate day intermittent fasting (JUDDD), and even took time off for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I also did no exercise during that time.
    5 months is quite a bit of time to make a difference!
  • brinsy
    Options

In just over five months I lost 36lbs and went from a size 14 jean, to a size 6 :) I did alternate day intermittent fasting (JUDDD), and even took time off for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I also did no exercise during that time.

Wow!!! That is actually amazing! Well done :D I didn't think it would be possible to do that In 5 months. Takes determination.. Won't be able to use my normal excuse 'il eat this and start tomorrow!'
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what exercise are you planning on doing?
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Wow!!! That is actually amazing! Well done :D I didn't think it would be possible to do that In 5 months. Takes determination.. Won't be able to use my normal excuse 'il eat this and start tomorrow!'

That's the nice thing with alternate day IF-many times I actually could say 'I'll eat this today', because it's a plan based on every other day rotations of high/low calories :) I only 'dieted' every other day, which was huge for me, in keeping with it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Toning is a fancy word for lowering body fat. While you can lose weight without exercise or with just walking, if you want to see major composition changes, you need/want to do some weight training. Weight training will not only make you stronger, it will help with muscle retention. More muscle = tighter muscle. As I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.
  • brinsy
    Options
    Getting back to the 30ds I've never been able to do a whole week of that! 45 min brisk walk everyday.-the dog will love that! The 30 day squat challenge in the morning. Well that's what I'm planning on doing for the first month or so. After that I'm not too sure. Before Xmas last year I'd get up do 20 sit ups then my squats go to work try and do 30ds after work every now and again (painful gave up) then decided to do wii exercises and then walk in the evening
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Getting back to the 30ds I've never been able to do a whole week of that! 45 min brisk walk everyday.-the dog will love that! The 30 day squat challenge in the morning. Well that's what I'm planning on doing for the first month or so. After that I'm not too sure. Before Xmas last year I'd get up do 20 sit ups then my squats go to work try and do 30ds after work every now and again (painful gave up) then decided to do wii exercises and then walk in the evening

Have you not been able to finish due to physical limitations or just lack of interest?
  • brinsy
    Options
    Toning is a fancy word for lowering body fat. While you can lose weight without exercise or with just walking, if you want to see major composition changes, you need/want to do some weight training. Weight training will not only make you stronger, it will help with muscle retention. More muscle = tighter muscle. As I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

That's exactly it. I'm hoping to get a good body. And also feel better. I want to be comfortable in my body and proud of it
  • brinsy
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In 5 months I've gone from 303lbs to 250lbs, dropped 2 trouser and 3 shirt sizes, gone from not being able to walk for 30mins without hurting to being able to jog 7km (4.5miles) without walking or stopping, gone from suffering from insomnia to sleeping like a baby, gone from only being able to lift tiny weights to maxing out half the machines at my gym and considering lifting big heavy free weights, from eating takeaways at least once a week to eating lean meat and enough veg to feed a horse, from someone hiding behind their size to someone considering entering their first 5k run, from someone who felt that dieting meant being hungry and depriving myself to someone who can for the first time in their life eat what they want in moderation.

That's how much for me its been possible to change in 5 months :)

Go For It!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Look at nelly on here she is every bit of insperation you need in such a short time
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It takes focus, but 5 months can be a life time.
    Keep you eye on your target
    It is worth it!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You gotta do 30ds, i did level 2 and level 3 for a month each! I saw great results in the mirror and lost 7-8 lbs each month on it... Go at your pace, you will get a great workout in little time!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

I would suggest getting a program that is more weight training focused and less cardio. Even though you won't see as much weight loss, you will see much more composition changes with a good weight training program. If you have some equipment, programs like Body Beast, Chalean Extreme or P90X are some of my favs. At the gym, then strong lift 5x5, beginner lift 5x5, or new rules of lifting for women are good. If you can't afford video, then you can find programs on youtube, www.nerdfitness.com or www.bodyrock.tv.

More specifically, if you don't have dumbells, you can look for resistance band programs.While it won't yelled as much in terms of strength gains, it's will help with muscle retention.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I started on October 1, 2012 weighing 347 pounds. I followed MFP's calorie recommendations for the first three months with no exercise because I was rehabbing an injured knee. I added exercise on January 6, 2013 and kept following the calorie restrictions. On March 1, 2013 I weighed 277.8. So, that's what? About 70 pounds? This morning I'm at 217.9, so another 60 in the last 6 months. I started out with a lot more to lose than you look like you have, but it has totally been a lifestyle change and consistency pays off more than anything else.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    work hard for the next five months. get a handle on your diet and exercise by making some small changes. small changes lead to big results.

then get back to us in five months and tell us how possible it is.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I see my family infrequently and it's been since Christmas since I saw my sister. She didn't recognize me at all this past weekend - looked at me and said excuse me and kept walking. I started lifting in February and I've only lost about 7 pounds, but my BF and measurements are way smaller. So yes, it's very possible. :)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In 5 months I lost around 45lbs.. it's possible to completely change the way your body looks, depending on how much you need to lose. 45lbs for me sounded like a lot but in the mirror it was hard for me to see the difference. On someone smaller it would have been dramatic.