How much is it possible to change body in 5 months?

Options

Replies

• brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was a whole new person in 10 weeks.. Lost 22 lbs in 10 weeks 3 yrs ago.. Never had so many people tell me
    how great I looked and what was my secret.. My secret was eating like a normal person and doing a lot of cardio.

Wow that was amazing amount in 10 weeks. Once start seeing results I'm sure it gets easier. I'm hopeful
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds in just under 6 months. You can do a lot if you set your mind to it and stick with it.
  • brinsy
    Options
    Individual results vary so much between people. I probably lost 10-15 lbs, but I was also (relatively) small to begin with, so dropping 2 lbs is a huge, hard thing for me.

That said, I think you are capable of more than you think you are. Definitely do weight training - dieting and cardio will help you drop numbers on a scale, but strength training gives you that more sculpted muscle definition I think you're looking for. Consider hiring a trainer once a week at a gym for the next few months if you can afford it. They can really help you physically train (giving you new routines, showing you proper form, etc), but also they can push you mentally harder than you would for yourself. Before I had a trainer, I *thought* I was pushing myself pretty hard during my workouts, but having someone else there made me realize how much we put limitations (psychologically) on ourselves. It was enormously helpful.

Keep your eye on the ball and don't give up. :)

Thank u. I'm Hoping to try it on my own for a month. Think I'd cry now at this point I'm so unfit if I had a trainer pushing me. Lol
  • brinsy
    Options
    I've lost 100 pounds in just under 6 months. You can do a lot if you set your mind to it and stick with it.

Geez well done! It's all ability getting into the mind set of wanting to be fit and healthy more then enjoying what you're eating for that brief moment lo
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    It depends on how much you currently weigh. But, as an
    example, my daughter went from about 300 pounds to
    200 pounds in a little less than six months. She exercised
    for six hours a day -- lots of cardio and HIT, and was on a
    very calorie restricted diet (about 1400 calories a day).
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.
    That soreness usually starts subsiding after day 4 of the 30DS. Voice of experience here. I had to stop by Level 3 due to knee pain though. You should definitely be able to accomplish your goal of 20 lbs. in 5 months if you are logging what you eat and exercising. If you have any desire to learn to run, the couch to 5K program will get you a leaner, fitter body as well and takes about 9 weeks.
    Even if you only do level 1 of 30 DS 3X week throughout the process it will help you tone your midsection. It was great for helping me flatten my tummy. You wouldn't even have to go to the next level if you don't desire.
    Good luck and keep moving!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Since March I've lost over 20lbs. A bit low compared to many, who've replied, but it is progress. Since then I've also gone from running 5ks to half marathon distances, down a clothing size, flattened my belly, toned my arms and legs and purchased my first bikini since I was a teen. I can do pushups - even plio pushups! I can do (assisted) pullups. I know my way around the free weights and am getting familiar with barbells.

So...body change in 5 months? Significant, but not exceptional, but the attitude change? Stratospheric.

You can change a LOT in 5 months, and it doesn't all need to be body. Confidence makes everything look better.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. So yes, you can definitely do it.

The biggest thing is how much you're eating. That's where you'll have the most leverage. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Do you log everything you eat?

As for exercise, I really like HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. That sounds hard, and it is. But it's also self-adjusting to your fitness level. I did 5-6 four-minute intervals of walk, jog, run, sprint. But my sprint is my sprint, your sprint is yours. You push yourself as much as you're able. I did some lifting too... you want to lift and eat protein so you don't lose too much muscle along with the fat.

I've battled shin splints also. Stretching definitely helps (I can share a really good stretch with you if you're interested) but the biggest thing is SHOES. Get a really good pair or running shoes. Don't try to run in an old pair of sneakers.

Here's how I lost the 40 pounds. Might be some useful info in here for you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920970-how-i-lost-the-fat?hl=how+i+lost+the+fat#posts-13975455
  • TiaraSeamonkey
    TiaraSeamonkey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds in the past 60 days just walking 3-4 times a week and sticking to the calories MFP allocates daily if that tells you anything. I have 30 days till I leave on my Alaska cruise and will leave in much better condition than when I decided to get off my butt 90 days before a cruise not knowing if it would make a difference!
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You've had some great advice here, I say you've got a great incentive (your friends wedding) and you've got a realistic length of time to do in.
    If you're prepared to put the time and effort into it you'll reach your goal and look fantastic.
    Good luck.
  • alanjb47
    Options
    ive lost 33ilbs in 5 months. make sure you weigh yourself every week or even twice a week. key is to not get down on youself if you have a bad day, jus make sure you dont have back to back bad days and try as much as possible to keep under the red line. if you dont lie to yourself and enter everything you eat and exercise you do it is possible. before using fitness pal i had been trying to lose weight wiht not much success for about 2 to 3 years. my fitness pal on your iphone or android is excellent.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Toning is a fancy word for lowering body fat. While you can lose weight without exercise or with just walking, if you want to see major composition changes, you need/want to do some weight training. Weight training will not only make you stronger, it will help with muscle retention. More muscle = tighter muscle. As I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

I think this will depend on the person-I didn't do any exercise while losing weight and now that I'm in maintenance I only do brisk walking (around 10 miles a week). My body actually looks pretty good with or without clothes on :) I don't have any problem areas or jiggly parts. It could be because I've only lost weight/dieted once? Or, because I'm towards the lower end of a healthy bmi/weight for my age and height and there's just not a lot of 'extra' on me anymore. I have a flat stomach and nice muscle definition in my arms, shoulders/back and my calves-the calves are from walking and the arms/back are just how they look naturally, now that I've lost the weight and given my body a few months to adjust being in maintenance.
  • brinsy
    Options
    It depends on how much you currently weigh. But, as an
    example, my daughter went from about 300 pounds to
    200 pounds in a little less than six months. She exercised
    for six hours a day -- lots of cardio and HIT, and was on a
    very calorie restricted diet (about 1400 calories a day).

100lbs in 6 months that's brill!
  • brinsy
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.
    That soreness usually starts subsiding after day 4 of the 30DS. Voice of experience here. I had to stop by Level 3 due to knee pain though. You should definitely be able to accomplish your goal of 20 lbs. in 5 months if you are logging what you eat and exercising. If you have any desire to learn to run, the couch to 5K program will get you a leaner, fitter body as well and takes about 9 weeks.
    Even if you only do level 1 of 30 DS 3X week throughout the process it will help you tone your midsection. It was great for helping me flatten my tummy. You wouldn't even have to go to the next level if you don't desire.
    Good luck and keep moving!

Another friend said that couch to 5k app is good. Must download it today. Thank u so much.
  • brinsy
    Options
    Since March I've lost over 20lbs. A bit low compared to many, who've replied, but it is progress. Since then I've also gone from running 5ks to half marathon distances, down a clothing size, flattened my belly, toned my arms and legs and purchased my first bikini since I was a teen. I can do pushups - even plio pushups! I can do (assisted) pullups. I know my way around the free weights and am getting familiar with barbells.

So...body change in 5 months? Significant, but not exceptional, but the attitude change? Stratospheric.

You can change a LOT in 5 months, and it doesn't all need to be body. Confidence makes everything look better.

Oh I can't do push ups at all...another one of my main problems in 30 ds! Yeah to feel better about myself would suffice lol
  • brinsy
    Options
    I lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. So yes, you can definitely do it.

The biggest thing is how much you're eating. That's where you'll have the most leverage. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Do you log everything you eat?

As for exercise, I really like HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. That sounds hard, and it is. But it's also self-adjusting to your fitness level. I did 5-6 four-minute intervals of walk, jog, run, sprint. But my sprint is my sprint, your sprint is yours. You push yourself as much as you're able. I did some lifting too... you want to lift and eat protein so you don't lose too much muscle along with the fat.

I've battled shin splints also. Stretching definitely helps (I can share a really good stretch with you if you're interested) but the biggest thing is SHOES. Get a really good pair or running shoes. Don't try to run in an old pair of sneakers.

Here's how I lost the 40 pounds. Might be some useful info in here for you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920970-how-i-lost-the-fat?hl=how+i+lost+the+fat#posts-13975455

Yeah I've started logging everything food wise at least. Shocking how mush it creeps up when u add in everything you're eating
    . Iv the new sneakers waiting in the hallway the last two months for me to get my act together lol
  • brinsy
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds in the past 60 days just walking 3-4 times a week and sticking to the calories MFP allocates daily if that tells you anything. I have 30 days till I leave on my Alaska cruise and will leave in much better condition than when I decided to get off my butt 90 days before a cruise not knowing if it would make a difference!

Aww well done! Ul enjoy your cruise so much more. :D
  • brinsy
    Options
    You've had some great advice here, I say you've got a great incentive (your friends wedding) and you've got a realistic length of time to do in.
    If you're prepared to put the time and effort into it you'll reach your goal and look fantastic.
    Good luck.
    Thank u so much! I'm hoping so :D
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the 30ds I've never been able to do a whole week of that! 45 min brisk walk everyday.-the dog will love that! The 30 day squat challenge in the morning. Well that's what I'm planning on doing for the first month or so. After that I'm not too sure. Before Xmas last year I'd get up do 20 sit ups then my squats go to work try and do 30ds after work every now and again (painful gave up) then decided to do wii exercises and then walk in the evening

I started out with just Wii exercises and walking. Six days a week. I was very consistent and as soon as it got easier, I made it harder. You can buy a riser for the Wii step off Amazon, or get wrist and ankle weights to wear while you do the exercises. The key is adaptive fitness. Keep working out at the same exertion level. Once what you're doing gets too easy, make it harder and keep doing it. I added kettlebells after a month and body weight fitness. I did couch to 5 K training (if you get shin splints, you're running wrong. Before you start, go to a REAL running store and have them videotape you running barefoot on their treadmill. They will tell you if your stride is good. You want a midfoot strike, not a heel strike. Heel strikes will kill your ankles and knees and hips and give you shin splints.) You need a good stretching routine and you need to do strengthening for the muscles around your knees so you don't damage them. Google "Runner's World Build a Better Knee". After all that I bought a bike and ride it. I started kayaking in June. Just this month I discovered trail running. Whole new worlds can open up to you just from being consistent with the simple little Wii Fit and walking. :)
  • brinsy
    Options
    ive lost 33ilbs in 5 months. make sure you weigh yourself every week or even twice a week. key is to not get down on youself if you have a bad day, jus make sure you dont have back to back bad days and try as much as possible to keep under the red line. if you dont lie to yourself and enter everything you eat and exercise you do it is possible. before using fitness pal i had been trying to lose weight wiht not much success for about 2 to 3 years. my fitness pal on your iphone or android is excellent.

I agree I have the iphone app and I love it. To be able to Scan a product is so handy. Moving more and eating healthier :D