How much is it possible to change body in 5 months?

Replies

• action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    I lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. So yes, you can definitely do it.

The biggest thing is how much you're eating. That's where you'll have the most leverage. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Do you log everything you eat?

As for exercise, I really like HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. That sounds hard, and it is. But it's also self-adjusting to your fitness level. I did 5-6 four-minute intervals of walk, jog, run, sprint. But my sprint is my sprint, your sprint is yours. You push yourself as much as you're able. I did some lifting too... you want to lift and eat protein so you don't lose too much muscle along with the fat.

I've battled shin splints also. Stretching definitely helps (I can share a really good stretch with you if you're interested) but the biggest thing is SHOES. Get a really good pair or running shoes. Don't try to run in an old pair of sneakers.

Here's how I lost the 40 pounds. Might be some useful info in here for you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920970-how-i-lost-the-fat?hl=how+i+lost+the+fat#posts-13975455

Yeah I've started logging everything food wise at least. Shocking how mush it creeps up when u add in everything you're eating
    . Iv the new sneakers waiting in the hallway the last two months for me to get my act together lol

Psssst. It's not the shoes so much as the stride. I'm a barefoot runner. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

If a 30 day squat challenge involves doing squats every day, you could easily overtrain. Doing squats, and other strength exercises, two or three times a week, and doing them right, is better for you. That leaves you days for cardio, flexibility, and rest.

P.S. Have fun with it!
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Toning is a fancy word for lowering body fat. While you can lose weight without exercise or with just walking, if you want to see major composition changes, you need/want to do some weight training. Weight training will not only make you stronger, it will help with muscle retention. More muscle = tighter muscle. As I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

I think this will depend on the person-I didn't do any exercise while losing weight and now that I'm in maintenance I only do brisk walking (around 10 miles a week). My body actually looks pretty good with or without clothes on :) I don't have any problem areas or jiggly parts. It could be because I've only lost weight/dieted once? Or, because I'm towards the lower end of a healthy bmi/weight for my age and height and there's just not a lot of 'extra' on me anymore. I have a flat stomach and nice muscle definition in my arms, shoulders/back and my calves-the calves are from walking and the arms/back are just how they look naturally, now that I've lost the weight and given my body a few months to adjust being in maintenance.

As well done u! Maybe you're one of the very lucky ones. I defo need to tone as well as lose weight!! My prob area is defo my mid!!
  • brinsy
    Getting back to the 30ds I've never been able to do a whole week of that! 45 min brisk walk everyday.-the dog will love that! The 30 day squat challenge in the morning. Well that's what I'm planning on doing for the first month or so. After that I'm not too sure. Before Xmas last year I'd get up do 20 sit ups then my squats go to work try and do 30ds after work every now and again (painful gave up) then decided to do wii exercises and then walk in the evening

I started out with just Wii exercises and walking. Six days a week. I was very consistent and as soon as it got easier, I made it harder. You can buy a riser for the Wii step off Amazon, or get wrist and ankle weights to wear while you do the exercises. The key is adaptive fitness. Keep working out at the same exertion level. Once what you're doing gets too easy, make it harder and keep doing it. I added kettlebells after a month and body weight fitness. I did couch to 5 K training (if you get shin splints, you're running wrong. Before you start, go to a REAL running store and have them videotape you running barefoot on their treadmill. They will tell you if your stride is good. You want a midfoot strike, not a heel strike. Heel strikes will kill your ankles and knees and hips and give you shin splints.) You need a good stretching routine and you need to do strengthening for the muscles around your knees so you don't damage them. Google "Runner's World Build a Better Knee". After all that I bought a bike and ride it. I started kayaking in June. Just this month I discovered trail running. Whole new worlds can open up to you just from being consistent with the simple little Wii Fit and walking. :)

My shin splints Weren't even from running it only from 30ds lol! Couldn't move with them!! See that's why I don't think I'm ready for gym. Have the wii the 30ds exercise bike. And hopefully in the next couple of months ill be able to go for a run without been breathless after 2 mins of running :D
  • brinsy
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

If a 30 day squat challenge involves doing squats every day, you could easily overtrain. Doing squats, and other strength exercises, two or three times a week, and doing them right, is better for you. That leaves you days for cardio, flexibility, and rest.

The 30 day shred caused the serious pain. But maybe doing the squat challenge every other day would be better idea. Could stop the chance of getting bored of routine
  • brinsy
    I lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. So yes, you can definitely do it.

The biggest thing is how much you're eating. That's where you'll have the most leverage. Do you know your BMR and TDEE? Do you log everything you eat?

As for exercise, I really like HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training. That sounds hard, and it is. But it's also self-adjusting to your fitness level. I did 5-6 four-minute intervals of walk, jog, run, sprint. But my sprint is my sprint, your sprint is yours. You push yourself as much as you're able. I did some lifting too... you want to lift and eat protein so you don't lose too much muscle along with the fat.

I've battled shin splints also. Stretching definitely helps (I can share a really good stretch with you if you're interested) but the biggest thing is SHOES. Get a really good pair or running shoes. Don't try to run in an old pair of sneakers.

Here's how I lost the 40 pounds. Might be some useful info in here for you. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920970-how-i-lost-the-fat?hl=how+i+lost+the+fat#posts-13975455

Yeah I've started logging everything food wise at least. Shocking how mush it creeps up when u add in everything you're eating
    . Iv the new sneakers waiting in the hallway the last two months for me to get my act together lol

Psssst. It's not the shoes so much as the stride. I'm a barefoot runner. :)

Barefoot!!!??? Wow!!! Lol
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    I haven't quite been on MFP for 5 months, a little over 4. I have lost 45 lbs. It is all about determination and your results will really come from the exercise you do. You should try No More Trouble Zones by Jillian Micheals. I love that DVD. And while she does it with 3 lbs, if you want significant toning I would try to work up to a higher weight.

You can do this... just be committed and accept that things are not going to be perfect every day, and you will up and downs!! :)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    I lost about 30lbs in 5 months and went from a size 16 to a size 5. I work a 4on/5off schedule and try to get 3 workouts in on my days off. It's either 2 sessions of lifting plus one run or 3 sessions of lifting.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    I've lost about 40 lbs and 20+ inches in the last 6 months :)
  • Nicolette04
    As for the no more trouble zones, I do it 3 days a week, with cardio on the other days. and for my cardio videos, i use fitnessblender.com. love them as well
  • Nicolette04
    You keep on keeping on. Great work!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    It might or might not be possible to lose 20 pounds in 5 months. If 20 pounds is all you have to lose, it is reasonable to assume a half a pound of week weight loss. If you have a lot more to lose than 20 pounds, then you could lose weight safely at a higher rate than that.

However, that said, you can drop sizes with resistance training as well, and you may very well be surprised at how different you will look in 5 months even if the scale hasn't gone down as much as you want.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    So inspirational!
  • brinsy
    I'm more hopeful now after reading all yer comments :D
  • Definitely possible. I lost 20 lbs in 5 months. It was a bit slower for me because I don't have loads of weight to lose but I lost 1 lb a week on average. Good luck!
  • brinsy
    Thank you
  • brinsy
    It might or might not be possible to lose 20 pounds in 5 months. If 20 pounds is all you have to lose, it is reasonable to assume a half a pound of week weight loss. If you have a lot more to lose than 20 pounds, then you could lose weight safely at a higher rate than that.

However, that said, you can drop sizes with resistance training as well, and you may very well be surprised at how different you will look in 5 months even if the scale hasn't gone down as much as you want.

Yeah I suppose been fitter and toned and dropping dress sizes is more important. Have to take muscle gain into account on scales
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    I haven't weighed myself but I started in May this year and took my measurements. I took them again in August and have lost 1" from my bust, nothing from my waist, half an inch from tops of my arms and legs and calves and an amazing 4" from my hips. I count the calories and only exercise I do is walking but I try to do at least 10-12 miles a week.
  • lisalisa27
    lisalisa27 Posts: 75 Member
    I've dropped a dress size in less than 3 weeks with ChaLEAN extreme. I love it!
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Since 30 June [51 days?] I've lost 27lbs.