Senseless Shooting...It could have been anyone

Options
12346»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is a good healthy discussion but not sure about how I feel having it under the menu of "chit-chat, fun and games." It's a hell of a lot more serious than that.
    It's a catch-all forum name. Do you want it under Recipes?

And has anyone bothered reading the link I posted?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This is a good healthy discussion but not sure about how I feel having it under the menu of "chit-chat, fun and games." It's a hell of a lot more serious than that.

Recipes?!!?!/ LOL bwahahahahahah:bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    Options

Recipes?!!?!/ LOL bwahahahahahah:bigsmile:

Or maybe Success Stories. That's a more serious forum.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Everyone on MFP seems to want to be some kind of amateur comedian.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    ^^ dude remember this is CHIT CHAT FUN & GAMES :bigsmile: So yeah comedy is awesome round these parts!
  • rml_16
    Options

Everyone on MFP seems to want to be some kind of amateur comedian.
    Better than being so stiff and literal all the time.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I believe that nearly all violence, and in fact all wrongdoing period, boils down to one thing:

A lack of empathy.

If we truly felt the pain and suffering we inflict on others as if it were our own, we would do a whole lot less of it.

People do these kinds of things because they do not put themselves in the shoes of their victims or their victims' families. They do not empathize with the people they are harming.

And while the debate is still going on about nurture vs. nature, you can learn to be indifferent and you can learn to have empathy.

If you are raised to be indifferent to the suffering of others, you will be.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Oh I hated reading that link about the baby possum.

I had to kill a snake once and I still feel sick thinking about it. I don't know how someone can deliberately scare, harm or kill an animal and not feel in the slightest bit uneasy about it.

I've even seen a dog kill a kitten before, and that makes my gut wrench to this day.

Reading the rest of the article, though, I don't know if I'd characterise her as a sociopath. I think perhaps craving adoration makes that term moot.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh I hated reading that link about the baby possum.

I had to kill a snake once and I still feel sick thinking about it. I don't know how someone can deliberately scare, harm or kill an animal and not feel in the slightest bit uneasy about it.

I've even seen a dog kill a kitten before, and that makes my gut wrench to this day.

Reading the rest of the article, though, I don't know if I'd characterise her as a sociopath. I think perhaps craving adoration makes that term moot.

She's been offically diagnosed by actual mental health professionals, so ...

But, yeah, the possom thing made me sick to my stomach. I ended up kind of skimming past it finally. I still thought it was pretty insightful and explains a lot about how people like that think and that they do exist. At least one of the boys in question is something like that, possibly all three. But I can see one kid being kind of the leader and the others wanting to appear cool and tough and going along with it. It's hard to tell just now.

Another good book to read to understand the mind of someone like this is Small Sacrifices by Anne Rule. It was also a TV movie, but as always, the book is far more detailed, accurate and interesting.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I like Benji!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    /

But, yeah, the possom thing made me sick to my stomach. I ended up kind of skimming past it finally. I still thought it was pretty insightful and explains a lot about how people like that think and that they do exist. At least one of the boys in question is something like that, possibly all three. But I can see one kid being kind of the leader and the others wanting to appear cool and tough and going along with it. It's hard to tell just now.

Another good book to read to understand the mind of someone like this is Small Sacrifices by Anne Rule. It was also a TV movie, but as always, the book is far more detailed, accurate and interesting.

Ah. Perhaps my understanding of psychopathy is tainted by what you read in fiction and see on TV, and less structured around the DSM, haha.

Although, thinking about it now, craving adoration and approval probably ties in with the egoism and depression associated with psychopathy.

What makes you think any of those boys are sociopaths? I don't disagree with that presumption, necessarily, I just think a lack of remorse is all-too-common these days to associate something like this with psychopathy without further facts. I agree with it being hard to tell right now.
  • rml_16
    Options
    /

Ah. Perhaps my understanding of psychopathy is tainted by what you read in fiction and see on TV, and less structured around the DSM, haha.

Although, thinking about it now, craving adoration and approval probably ties in with the egoism and depression associated with psychopathy.

What makes you think any of those boys are sociopaths? I don't disagree with that presumption, necessarily, I just think a lack of remorse is all-too-common these days to associate something like this with psychopathy without further facts. I agree with it being hard to tell right now.
    Not necessarily sociopath. There are other personality disorders that can lead to that kind of behavior. But the absence of a conscience is pretty much the definition of it. I think that at least one of them must be just to have been able to do something like that.

I'm not a psychologist and obviously haven't ever met any of them, but it fits pretty perfectly. Being able to commit cold-blooded murder without remorse is not common by any means and it is a pretty serious sign of a mental disorder of some kind.