Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Bony to Beastly... A Scam?

asianambitionasianambition Member Posts: 614 Member Member Posts: 614 Member
I just heard good things about this program called Bony to Beastly.

If you look at the "transformations" page of the website, it shows a bunch of skinny guys who gained a massive amount of weight in a short amount of time, while seemingly keeping their body fat low.

The thing is that the program costs $200!

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Scam or not?
edited May 21

Replies

• harper16harper16 Member Posts: 1,157 Member Member Posts: 1,157 Member
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 508 Member Member Posts: 508 Member
    Do it on your own! Find a good MFP friend on here to help and go.
  • pitbullpuppypitbullpuppy Member Posts: 103 Member Member Posts: 103 Member
    I don't know that I'd call any workout program a 'scam.' I did a well-known program a long time ago and did not get the advertised results whatsoever. But I did learn a few effective exercises and was disciplined into exercising six days a week which propelled me into bodybuilding. I wasn't suddenly ripped, but I was motivated. If that plan gets you involved and physically active, whether it works as advertised or not is besides the point because, IMO, whatever it takes to take care of yourself is priceless.
  • pitbullpuppypitbullpuppy Member Posts: 103 Member Member Posts: 103 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't know that I'd call any workout program a 'scam.' I did a well-known program a long time ago and did not get the advertised results whatsoever. But I did learn a few effective exercises and was disciplined into exercising six days a week which propelled me into bodybuilding. I wasn't suddenly ripped, but I was motivated. If that plan gets you involved and physically active, whether it works as advertised or not is besides the point because, IMO, whatever it takes to take care of yourself is priceless.

The fact that they lie about results, use long-debunked concepts, and charge $200 notwithstanding?

Workout programs can be scams, IMO, when they promise the unachievable, deliver no results one can't get for free (or close), and cost a bundle.

I'm glad you found something that became a useful on-ramp for you, and that to you that was worth the cost . . . this one's still a scam, though. Won't say the one you fell for followed was a scam, because I don't know what it was.

Maybe I am totally missing it, but on their homepage they say they gained 55lb in 2+ years, with before photos showing someone very skinny (the other founders 50/60 some pounds in presumably 2 yrs), using a combination of a weight lifting program, protein shakes and proper nutrition. I don't know how that is a scam or a lie. The transformation photos also don't seem dramatic with hard work and determination (20lbs in 5 months?)

I wouldn't say someone is a scam for marketing their program. If someone writes a book on how to lose weight counting calories they aren't a charlatan because the information can be gleaned for free. You pay for their research time.
  • kbsmalley713kbsmalley713 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    Check out StrongLifts 5x5. Simple exercises with a free app. Website has all you need. Videos on app for step by step instructions for proper form. No unrealistic promises, but it works. Testimonials all over the internet.
  • tgillies003tgillies003 Member, Premium Posts: 11 Member Member, Premium Posts: 11 Member
    My view — you do not need supplements to build muscle. To build muscle you need to do to weight training and ensure you eat enough to fuel your body’s your body will gain muscle. Mike Matthews from Legion Athletics has some good articles on the muscle building process. He also has a book for men called Bigger Leaner Stronger (the female version is Thinner Leaner Stronger). I bought for $1 when he had a sale. I think the normal price is less than $10. Legion also sells supplements, but you don’t need supplements. You would be better off spending your $200 on a set of weights or resistance bands, read some free articles and add muscle to your body. Remember this is a slow process. Take your time.
    Good luck
  • jseams1234jseams1234 Member Posts: 1,174 Member Member Posts: 1,174 Member
    7 years OP. 7 years of majoring in the minors. Imagine just eating at a slight surplus and killing it in the gym.
  • asianambitionasianambition Member Posts: 614 Member Member Posts: 614 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    7 years OP. 7 years of majoring in the minors. Imagine just eating at a slight surplus and killing it in the gym.

I've been running StrongLifts 5x5 with accessory work since November 2019. When the quarantine hit, I bought a pair of adjustable dumbbells and continued the same workout, just with more reps. Went from 140 lbs to 147 lbs since I started lifting... However, most of it seems to be body fat, as I don't look any more muscular.
    edited May 24
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Member Posts: 507 Member Member Posts: 507 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Scam.

Biggest red flag to me is the site uses somatypes to classify people and somatypes have been debunked for years. Also, skinny people do not have faster metabolisms than non-skinny people, they just tend to either eat less or move more.

Just wanted to be THAT person and point out that that's not necessarily true. Some people have thyroid issues or metabolic issues.
    My mother is a prime example. 5'1" and 100 lbs soaking wet. Even pregnant, she couldn't gain weight.
    She wants curves so bad. She hates her body. She's even been prescribed, by a doctor, to move the absolute bare minimum and eat 3000 calories per day. She did this. And lost a pound. She's got a metabolism disorder and cannot gain weight. Its not always down to who's eating more or less.
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,143 Member Member Posts: 7,143 Member
    TO the OP: remember that you CAN'T HAVE **FAST** GAIN that is not mostly fat gain. These guys are selling shakes and their program. Some very well researched programs do exist. A number of low cost or free ones are in the 'sticky post" section.
    edited May 24
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Member Posts: 1,905 Member Member Posts: 1,905 Member
    so many great free sources and videos online, it's silly to pay for these TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE marketing scams!