WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Machka, prayers for a successful surgery for your husband. Mine is slowly coming along. It helped when he googled exactly where to put his ice bag. He had been putting it across his abdomen where his surgical scars are. Come to find out, he should have been placing it a little lower down! He's a week and two days out, still not lifting anything heavy but is walking well over 10,000 steps a day. He never did take the prescription pain meds. He's been managing with Aleve. But of course, my husband does not have the health challenges that yours does.

My weight has crept back up a little, too. I know exactly what I need to do. I just need to do it! I pre-logged my food today just for my 3 meals - no snacks. I have obviously been consuming too many calories and not logging them honestly or consistently.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka - hope his and yours go well...

Pip - hold your nose and jump in, the water's fine. :) I'm finally beginning to relax four weeks later and realize I don't have to be ANYwhere I don't want to be. :smiley:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Luci - that was the first time he did a video with his 'stepdaughter '. I don't know if she will do any more. Normally it's just him and his mates talking about their obsessive hobby of Airsoft. (Basically running around playing shooting at each other, but with pellets) I have liked all his army ration ones though, especially the French Ration Packs and the German Ration Packs. They eat much better than the poor Italians. You could search for one of those.

Had a long conversation with my DSIL on the phone this morning. She rang just as I was settling down to write. Oooops! Haven't written since Friday. That is not good. :/

It is a heatwave here. DH said the beaches are heaving. I rowed instead with the fan blowing on me.

Lisa - I adore magnolias. They are very popular in front gardens here and sometimes get too big. I love that they are so ancient that they evolved before flying insects were around and so are pollinated by beetles. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Agnes - welcome

Michele NC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    :)MIchele, Primarily I had gotten lazy and dishonest, not measuring carefully and not logging carefully. When Jake first baked bread, I ate it plain and gradually started adding butter or cheese and not measuring carefully. I haven't been rigorous in measuring servings of the lunches I make. I'm sure I've added a lot of bites of this and that and not logged them. So I'm going back to eating the way I did when I was losing weight. I'm sure that not going to the the two line dances classes has hurt my calorie burn.

:)Pip, you will love retirement

:)Agnes, Welcome, It has helped me to be part of this thread daily. It is good for support and encouragement and to get helpful ideas.

:)Machka, thinking about your husband and his surgery....best wishes to both of you

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Heather--I get on the motorcycle every chance I get. I have found I enjoy the freedom of driving it myself most the time.
    Lisa--I love the glider you redid. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment just watching sunsets and such. You have so many talents.
    Katla--Sending HUGS and prayers that all goes well.
    Ginny--They did not start me on meds for the Iron deficiency until I had seen 4 docotrs and had all kinds of tests for the hives. I was real upset when they did a biposy of the hives and I paid $495 to be told I have hives. I work in health care and I still shake my head about somethings. A lot of things.
    Allie--Proud of you, stand your ground.
    Kim--I understand how you feel. I do not usally go to the store as DH does the shopping and with all the stuff now going to work and home is enough for me. unless we go riding the motorcycles, then is just us.
    When this lockdown started our church did drive in service. The rules were that we had to stay in our cars and could only put the window down enough to hear and they had set up big speakers and pastor stood in the back of his pickup and did service. I was so glad to be able to do that for the couple months and now we are back inside with social distancing.
    Machka--Sending prayers and hugs for you and DH that all goes well.
    Blessing, Vicki GI NE <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vicki I'm sure the doctors already thought of alpha gal as a possible cause for your hives. I was just thinking that a Nebraska gal might be a beef and pork eater. If you have alpha gal it can make you have hives when you eat meat from hoofed critters.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vicki plus I was wondering about the anemia. Is it heavy periods if you still have them? or do they know why? I hope they get it figured out for you.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Kim - Loved your reframing, and hope it's helping your struggle with the lockdown.

Allie - So glad you can see your sister-in-law's behavior for what it is. Stand your ground, dear.

Vicki in NE - So glad to see you! I'm sorry it's been a tough spring and early summer for you. Hope things slow down for you.

Luci, Katla and Barbara - May traveling grace go with all of you.

Weather system bringing a barometric pressure drop just leveled me yesterday afternoon. Spent most of the afternoon flat in a recliner, evening on the couch, and went to bed at 8:30. It literally woke me up at 1a.m. when the pressure let up, it was such a difference, and I was able to sleep a couple hours more. The only thing thing lingering this morning is light nausea, which will hopefully pass soon.

Did greet Corey when he came home at 6 p.m., as he brought me my other anniversary present, a couple of dwarf magnolias. They will get up to about twelve feet high, and eight feet across, unlike the original magnolias, which I've seen as high as 70 feet, and 50 feet wide. The blooms are the size of a dinner plate - eight to ten inches across and smell like lemon verbena - and they bloom for six months of the year. These two have been sitting for a year at the landscaping company as they were purchased but not used on a job a year ago, and Corey got them for me at less than a quarter of what we would have paid for them at a nursery. :) Now we've just got to decide where we want them... :smiley:

Tired of the gray skies - not near the rain you've been getting, Machka, but gray for the last three days, nonetheless. Today is supposed to be the first sunny day in a bit, and I need to get out and water the garden and the plants after I finish up on the elliptical and rower. Hope they're right about some sun.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa- amazing deal on your magnolias- I have seen them growing around here, but not many and have never smelled them. I will have to see if I can find one low enough so I can stop and smell it- I will add that to my list of things to check out on my walk- good reason to get back out walking. In our neighborhood there are all kinds of fruit trees that hang over the sidewalks- figs, oranges, apples, peaches, guava, persimmons(depending on the time of the year). When I would walk with the triplets we would bring a bag and see what we could find to add to our lunch when we got home.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)MIchele, Primarily I had gotten lazy and dishonest, not measuring carefully and not logging carefully. When Jake first baked bread, I ate it plain and gradually started adding butter or cheese and not measuring carefully. I haven't been rigorous in measuring servings of the lunches I make. I'm sure I've added a lot of bites of this and that and not logged them. So I'm going back to eating the way I did when I was losing weight. I'm sure that not going to the the two line dances classes has hurt my calorie burn.

:)Pip, you will love retirement

:)Agnes, Welcome, It has helped me to be part of this thread daily. It is good for support and encouragement and to get helpful ideas.

:)Machka, thinking about your husband and his surgery....best wishes to both of you

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Barbie- I was doing the same as you, not tracking exactly and not doing my two nights a week of Zumba- I have finally pulled the exercise bike out- has been sitting in my living room for a few years and kept planning on pulling it out and using it but never did. Also pulled out the cardio machine out of the garage- it too has sat for years.
    I am doing better with weighing food but not as good as I should(that is why I have a bit of a cushion on my calories- They say my goal is 1200 but I keep it at 1000 in case I am off on my tracking.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Karen friend of mine is dealing with raccoons in the attic. A mother and three babies. I think I know how she feels about raccoons.

Allie cherries are in season and good for gout. Have you tried them?

Having homemade soup. On Fridays they have rotisserie chicken on sale. Son and I make a meal then use extra meat for tacos and now soup. I used two carcasses to make a pot. I put in my fresh herbs too...sorrel, basil, parsley, dill, rosemary, sage, mint. YUM
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    Katla - I bet you will do fine with the test. My eyes watered a bit, but by the time my mind was registering there was something up my nose it was done and gone.

Terri - I think I remember having one of those as a kid, it came and went all on its own with no interference.

Lisa - My husband suffers from barometric pressure changes as well. It's no fun at all.

Barbie - Rodger and I had that discussion as well. You are smarter than I, all of my clothes are uncomfortably tight right now.

Michele - I agree, about getting in and out quickly. With the arrows and such it makes it harder to just go to the aisles you need. I find I wait for people a lot more than they wait for me.

Pip - Congratulations on being able to put your notice in. That means only 3 more weeks of work!

I am at work, but having a hard time concentrating on it today. Maybe after lunch it will be better.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Carol no I am not wiping down food when I get home. I was religious in early mid confinemnet

@Ginny I'm sorry about your situation there in Ohio.

@Beth awesome success with intermittent fasting.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    ALEXA I agree about Alexa increasing lack of privacy issues. It's pretty much hopeless between government and hackers invading our privacy, but no need to make it worse. THOUGH I did enjoy a one time experience at my siblings; I think it told some jokes and so on.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    CHECKS still have checks here, less and less often. some doctors don't use credit cards and my osteopath, and rent deposit... Last check, last week with osteopath. Most places take credit cards but still many don't take for less than 10 or 15 euros: small independent restaurants, shops, etc.