WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    Options
    It’s a wet dismal day, so planning to have a fairly relaxed time. I’ve already been to our local shops before lunch, and planning to write a little this afternoon.

céad míle fáilte to our new people. Drop in often, and chime in as the spirit moves you. We’re a chatty lot, so don’t be put off.
    (((Hugs))) to those in extremis

w74oc9n6fj85.jpeg

Find something that lights your fire, and warm the cockles of your heart.

☘️ Terri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    Well im showered and dressed.. have to go to the bank and then drop Alfie off for a couple hours with Tom and Elena.. he hasn't really been over there since my trip to Peru.
    So will enjoy a nice a lunch with my girlfriends
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Barbie we have a Greenworks electric mower too. Ours uses a cord. We have used this type of mower for over thirty years so used to handling the cord. Love how handle folds so easier to store. One thing I would recommend before mowing is check the screws and bolts. We lost a few through as we mowed because failed to check before starting to mow. Love having no fumes, quieter, easy start, and no maintenance in the fall other than making sure debris cleaned out and sharpen blade once a year.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Kim ~ Congrats on your new job! Hoping it will lead to even more opportunities through the decorator. :) I used to have lots of cana lilies but when the county decided to change the ground on the outside of my fence, they were all bull dozed down. :'( Before this happened, I gave some to my DnL and they now look pretty in her yard.

Barbie ~ Jake looks so happy pushing the new mower. Another new gadget to keep him happy. I love new gadgets.

Lanettte ~ Your lunch date sounds like a fun day and the visit for organic veggies will be another fun event.

Lisa ~ I love all my old "as it is" wooden furniture pieces. But, I must say that when I was growing up, I painted the hand me down pieces for my bedroom white.

Welcome to all who visit and best wishes and prayers to you!

Carol in GA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Amber: The new MFP owners seem to be trying to irritate us all so that we’ll pay a fee. I assume the new owners want to make a bigger profit. When I started here you could post for free but had to put up with commercials. That was basic. I hope to continue that way. :star:

Kim & dlfk: I try to have my macros as close to thirds as I can. My body seems happy that way. I don’t make the equal thirds all the time but I’m pleased when I get there. :star: Regarding salad dressing, DH likes blue cheese. I don’t. I make my own salad dressing. I got the recipe from a cooking show many years ago. The lady’s name was Ina Garten. I substitute my favorite vinegar in place of hers. I prefer Bragg's Organic Vinegar. :flowerforyou:

Machka: You are lovely. The location is beautiful, and you look healthy and happy. I presume your DH took the photo. It is delightful. :bigsmile:

Kim: Congrats on the big order. :star:

Lanette: Is this the same awakening from alzheimer’s series we saw before? That was fascinating. :flowerforyou:

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday to see how my innards are doing. I had to go in and get tested for Covid 19 yesterday. It was a drive-up situation. I stayed in the car and a nurse came out to the car and put the world’s longest Q-tip up my nose to see whether I have the corona virus. She didn’t give me any answer on that. The results went straight to the surgeon’s office. Tomorrow I take the first bottle of the prep solution. Monday I take the second dose & colonoscopy is also on Monday. I’m not looking forward to the ride into the doctor’s office and can’t wait until it is done. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Regarding calorie burn on exercise machines - most are a load of bunk for us, as they're set for a 150 to 160 pound male in his mid 20s.

However, if you look at the Harvard Medical School's calorie chart for various activities, you'll see they at least change the burn by the weight of the person exercising.

I quit using MFP's exercise calorie burn rates because I didn't trust them, and I certainly don't trust my own elliptical machine or rower to tell me how much I'm burning. For instance, my elliptical this morning said I burned 79 calories, while the Harvard Medical School chart says I burned 400. That's a pretty huge gap. When I'm tracking it (which I'm not at the moment) I just use the HMS chart, but use a percentage based on my perceived exertion - so if I was running on the elliptical at an estimated 3/4 of my ability overall, I take 75% of that 400. I don't take my exercise into the equation at all in terms of how many calories I can eat, but everyone's different on that.

One heartening thing for me - yesterday was five months I've had the elliptical, and I've worked out at least three times on it every single week, even when I was still working and stressed out. Corey reminded me that, in our marriage, every machine has been put away within a few months - this is my longest string. :)

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

I actually find most calorie counters (on machines, on MFP, etc.) give me an overly high number of calories and a common mistake I see in other posts in other subforums here is that people assume they are burning much more than they are. I've seen some wildly high numbers ... like where people are complaining they could never eat back their calories because somehow some machine has given them 1000 calories for an hour's exercise.

For example, when I walk for an hour, I probably burn 200 calories maximum. But various things give me as much as 300 calories. When I run I might burn 500 calories an hour tops ... but I've seen 600 and more on some calorie counters. When I cycle my personal calculation is 100 calories for every 5 km. At 20 km/hour, that's 400 calories. But again, sometimes I see as high as 600 calories.

So I tend to select a low, slow, light options in MFP.

For example, I know my actual walking speed is "Walking, 10.5 mins per km, brisk pace" but instead I choose "Walking, 12.5 mins per km, mod. pace". When I cycle, I'm often in the "Bicycling, 16-19 kph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)" range, but I'll select "Bicycling, <16 kph, leisure (cycling, biking, bike riding)" instead.

And then I only eat a portion of that.

It has definitely worked for me! :)

I hook everything I do up to Strava which allows me to enter my gender, weight etc.. It's pretty good with some things, like cycling -- the numbers there are fairly realistic.

But it's a bit optimistic for walking. It gave me 257 calories for the slow 40 minute walk I did with my husband. There's no way! Not at the pace we were moving. At best, I figure I might have burned 100 calories.

For my half-hour run, it gave me 212 calories. That's reasonable.
    For my 16 min row, it gave me 127 calories which is, I think, relatively reasonable too.
    I'll take those two, and assume about 100 calories for the walk. :)
    And if I were tracking right now, I'd eat about 220 of those calories ... maybe up to 300 if I were really hungry.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: You are lovely. The location is beautiful, and you look healthy and happy. I presume your DH took the photo. It is delightful. :bigsmile:

Thank you, Katla! <3

He did take the photo of me ... but this was the first one he took. Me hiding behind my coat!

tclccgkis9dn.png

And this is him ... he's bandaged underneath his top.

laj0mkdc5baf.png

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,374 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Lanette: Is this the same awakening from alzheimer’s series we saw before? That was fascinating. :flowerforyou:

Katla - I think the one we watched last year was "Broken Brain". This one is a new one for me, although it looks like it's been out for several years. I might have posted the link way back when and never watched it, lol. The host is a gal named Peggy Sarlin.

Good luck with the colonoscopy. I know you'll be happy when it's all over, and crossing fingers they'll say "come back in 10 years" :)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

I’m looking for about ¼ yard of San Diego Charger material. If anyone can get some and mail it to me, I would really appreciate it. I’ll be more than glad to reimburse you for the material and postage. Charger material is no where to be found around here.

Michele NC

SD Charger material is vintage now, but I'll ask if anyone has old t-shirts or something if that will work.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I usually take the lower number that mfp gives for calories. I charge 350 calories for my 55 min run because I'm going really s l o w l y. For walking at a normal pace I charge 100 per half hour. My expensive gym machines are pretty accurate I think - 100 calories on the elliptical takes me just over 15 mins usually. Cycling takes me 27 minutes for 100. The rower was a cheap one and overestimates I think. It used to give me 300 calories in half an hour. Now the counter doesn't work properly, but I just time 30 mins on my watch and call it a stretched 300. I finish off on the bike to give myself 40 cals leeway. When I used to go dancing I used to count 300, including the walk there and back and one hour dancing, not continuously.
    So i eat all my morning exercise calories, 600, and try to eat none of my afternoon ones, 300-350. If I keep to that I can lose 1 pound a week. If I eat my afternoon ones, I slowly put on weight. It is a LOT of work, around 3 hours intentional exercise a day, but my love for food makes it necessary.
    This afternoon I counted 340 . I expect I will eat and drink them all tonight with the takeaway meal and alcohol, a cheeky Lebanese red wine, but normally I stick to the plan.
    I still like the way I look with my clothes on. Not so much the texture of my skin. I certainly don't have the physical appearance of an old woman as I pound the seafront in my lycra. :D I like the fact that my body moves around in daily life with a fair amount of ease - no balance problems, or trouble getting off the floor, or climbing stairs. To me that is worth all my hard work. :)
    Long may it continue!

Our meal will be arriving in an hour. DH is just upstairs doing some stretches and then we will have a small glass of wine as an aperitif. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I still like the way I look with my clothes on. Not so much the texture of my skin. I certainly don't have the physical appearance of an old woman as I pound the seafront in my lycra. :D I like the fact that my body moves around in daily life with a fair amount of ease - no balance problems, or trouble getting off the floor, or climbing stairs. To me that is worth all my hard work. :)
    Long may it continue!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I want to be you when I grow up.

Tina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Tina - Yep! :laugh: Remember this is all new to me too! Eight years ago I was fat and crippled with breathlessness and joint troubles. My DH thought I was heading for a sad old age. I could hardly climb into a car. :o
    I find myself bewailing the lack of skin tone, the wrinkly arms, the cellulite on my legs. Then I remember I'm 70 and no one cares! :D My DH still finds me desirable. I am blessed. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Kim- Same here realized 3/4th of my daily calories before I got it down to 1200 seemed to be all ranch dressing to bbq sauce y what I was drinking!
    Changed to Walden dressing (not ranch eggy flavor)
    G Hughes BBQ sauce
    Crystal light tea y homemade y (diet come as a treat)
    Honey mustard on salads even

JR update - He now snubbing Daddy to punish him for leaving. Boys go figure. His skin discoloring worse from cuts to clothing rubbing it (his extreme eczema,extreme keratosis Pilaris, y virtiligo (runs in the family the virtiligo no health issues from it all cosmetic).

Daughter update- Sore throat,headache, y fever off y on.

Dad- Still socializing with no mask stubborn mule of a man.

Today exercising y watching calories went over yesterday took a break concentrated on sanity

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    If MFP wants money they can forget that. Theirs other free apps for calorie counting out there.

Amber Tx

It not working to get here to read posts like it was before
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to go back and read all these wonderful posts tonight. I am just waiting for husband to get ready so we can go visit my parents. I have only seen them one time since early March. I went out and picked fresh raspberries for mom- they are her favorite. I also made her raspberry bars. It will be a nice drive. Driving through the Napa and Alexander Valleys any time of the year is perfect. It is only an hour to their house. Mom's birthday was Thursday. We will stop and pick up groceries for them(I am a bargain hunter so will check for great deals to fill there freezer- I do this ever trip up, especially right after the fires when they lost power for over a month-lost everything in both commercial size freezers and both refrigerators. It felt great to show up with bags of things they will enjoy)
    We will be sure to wash up as soon as we get there. I know, social distancing but I can NOT go up there and not get a hug from both of them- they feel the same way.
    We won't stay to late. Church tomorrow morning then home to finish baking for the youth groups dessert auction tomorrow night. Making at least three things- lemon cake w/ home made lemon curd filling, coconut cake w/ toasted coconut and white choc. pudding filling and then trying to make my first cake roll with my new silicone pan- brownies for the cake part and whipped cream inside then choc. on the outside- like a big hoho, will even wrap in foil.
    I don't have kids in the youth group but remember the great memories of going to church camp(that is what the money goes for)- got to know hubby #1 at camp when I was in junior high.
    I may go over my calories tomorrow because they will be doing a dessert share after the auction. Usually am not tempted but there are a few I may want to taste- just a bite will be enough I am sure but will count all as much as I can.
    Have a great Saturday everyone.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the body grove exercise? I keep saying I want to try it.
    Kim--Great news on you getting the bid!!
    Ginny--Intresting about the table. I would sure like to see a picture when you are done.
    Working 6-6 today and looking forward to having tomorrow off and church. Hives are starting today and I just hope they stay off my face. We have been dog sitting for DS's 2 puppies. They will be back late tonight so will take them home after church. Must say I will miss them, but not the noise.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3