WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Then he went into the kitchen and adjusted the burners on our new propane stove down so we actually have a LOW setting. Before he adjusted them, we could boil water on any of the “low” settings. No more burning things because I can’t get the flame down low enough (nor any more excuses when I do ;>). I am doing my happy dance!

We rent and get the stove that comes with the place ... and I don't like our burners. Although the dials would indicate that we should have several heat option, we've only got two: OFF or HOT.

So when I'm making the jam and cooking the meat to go into my slowcooker, etc. I've got to put it on the burner, take it off the burner, put it on the burner, take it off the burner ...

During the year we lived in the shack out in the middle of nowhere and I cooked in a fireplace I had more control over the heat of what I cooked.

exermom wrote: »
    M – I didn’t realize that Australia had 5 different time zones! I wouldn’t have thought 5

Australia is about 4000 km wide east to west.
    USA is about 4300 km wide east to west.

The USA has 6 time zones (I'm assuming one would be Hawaii)
    Australia 5 but they are a bit complicated and one is Lord Howe Island.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/australia/time-zones-background.html

bwcetc wrote: »
    The young landscapers have been at my home 3 days now and the area is really giving me joy! For several years, the broken fence (since replaced by the fence company last week), out of shape plants and beds, heaving edging material ... it all just left me upset. Last year at this time the weeds were taller than the shrubs. We wouldn't even use the pool. As my husband said ... who wants to swim when there's milkweed falling into the pool? Now, each time I look out the patio doors, I find myself smiling!! I've even located two red double knockout roses to plant in the one mulched bed. They still have to rebuild an area where the bottom rail of the new fence is too high (too much space underneath where someone could crawl under) and they're bringing in more stone ... but it's coming along beautifully.

Beth near Buffalo

You'll have to post photos ... maybe a before and after. :)

MFP ...

Sometimes it doesn't open Community on my phone. Usually if I wait a couple minutes and try again, it works.

Regarding the database, I have used many different programs/websites over the years and MFP is the best by far.

Machka in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Stove repair guy, called Pacific Vision for appointment next available in Brookings is October 7!, BiMart, Library, line dancing in the park.
    Bonus 2 loads laundry
    Get to do: typing, invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over cleaning mins: 20 Bedrooms, 4 Dining Room, 8 Guest Bath, 8 Master Bath; call PC guy about mic/speaker, check Post Office Box, Grocery outlet for H20, Ace Hardware for OsPho and stove paint, make something for picnic, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant pineapples, bean, melons, cukes; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, Sunday call Diane, Monday call Dr’s billing office again about statement (couldn’t ring through Friday).
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Friday, Joe and I spent over an hour and a half watching and helping the stove repair guy (handing him tools, matches, holding flashlight) work on Aunt Elsie’s 1952 Wedgewood stove. It was fascinating watching him lift out parts, twist screws to adjust flow, even taking apart the oven’s pilot light ?valve? to clear the clog. While he was able to get the pilot lights all lit, there were occasional back fires (scarier than it sounds) so he took ALL the burners with him to his shop for ease of cleaning out the orifices. He recommended OSPHOS to remove the rust (after a light sanding of the worst of it) and stove paint to finish it off. I’m so glad the old girl is fixable and in “very good” condition despite the years of neglect, grease, rust and dog hair. Then he went into the kitchen and adjusted the burners on our new propane stove down so we actually have a LOW setting. Before he adjusted them, we could boil water on any of the “low” settings. No more burning things because I can’t get the flame down low enough (nor any more excuses when I do ;>). I am doing my happy dance!

Debbie in Napa Brava for persisting on your bike! “not great for a diabetic” is that you or your DH? I use the USDA numbers whenever available, when not I take the middle of the range. :love: the drive from Napa through the Alexander Valley. Lived in Ukiah for 9 years, learned to drive on the Geyserville road. Much later Mama and Papa moved to Napa. The drive up from the Bay Area was so restful, and especially beautiful in the fall. It’s all so changed/developed now. :cry:
    @Kristengjertsen Brava for pushing through. Breaking up scar tissue is so painful but the results are worth it… eventually :tired_face:
    Vickie in NE wish you could hire more than one new person. 12 hour shifts are brutal.
    Terri thanks for those links, can’t wait to try standing Pilates and Senior Zumba.
    Kim con VERY gratulations on your successful bid. :love: that you are doing high end art. Sure more commissions/contracts will follow.
    Melanie in Vegas :love: Ms Moneypenny. Waves of healing and comfort her way.
    Ginny in OH, just because you are crystal clear does not mean that people won’t simply do as they wish. Used to make me crazy when I worked. Now that I’m retired, I only get that frustration from Joe :smirk: and the boys at the fire hall. IMHO don’t touch the table. At most, wipe it down with a little linseed oil. Since you never particularly cared for it, just sell it as is. Which one is it? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mersman+end+table&iax=images&ia=images
    Lisa so with you about the painting of good wood. Alas it is nothing new. 40 years ago Mama painted both a Scandinavian style chair and a 30s vintage bedside table bright orange. :astonished: Everything that keeps us away from the "well, I've blown it now, so I'll eat everything" mode is good. Thank you, thank You, THANK YOU for this link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities and Bravissima for the long stretch on the eliptical.
    Lanette thanks for that stunning Ireland photo. What’s the story with your new profile pic?
    Barbie :love: the pic of happy Jake.
    Machka thanks for the exercise calorie tips and especially the beautiful pics. So glad to see your DH out and about and smiling, and :love: you hiding behind your coat.
    Katla safe travels ;)
    Heather “no balance problems, or trouble getting off the floor, or climbing stairs.” You have just given me the mantra I needed. Thank you.
    Tina, ditto, except for some of the foods she eats. :sick:
    Carol :love: your hair.

Been sittin’ way too long, wasting this perfect day.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: better than May.
    daily: steps=6732 vits=25 log=26 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=14 Tumble & Shadow 5=7 mfp=26 clean 10 mins=10 outside=12 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=7 rx=3 dance=6
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=1

Husband is the diabetic.
    I grew up in Alexander Valley- I LOVE it up there. Mom and dad have a 3 1/2 acres- 1 acre of garden. It is so peaceful there. Going up we go through Napa, St. Helena, Calistoga and into Alexander Valley. It is beautiful but did have a lot of damage the last two fires. So much distruction. This last one got to withing about 1000ft of my parents house- warped the roof of the green houses because of the heat, lost power for a month but the rest was ok.
    I will keep up on the bike- not tonight- too tired because of insonmia- fell asleep a little after 2:30AM. Monday I will be back on track.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Happy Saturday all! I have been reading posts, but not a lot of time to chat. Not sure if I told you that our lawn mower lost a wheel last weekend (and it had been a couple of weeks since I mowed) and the grass was looooooong! So mower went into the repair shop and we had a guy come on Tuesday and mow/trim the front and back, and he hauled away the rest of the tree limbs that Colin and I cut down and he trimmed a bit more. He also shortened an old tree stump down to 6" high (so the kiddos can play on it; which they did). So...my to do list was shortened because of that; but I have just been so tired! I weighed myself and am back up to 244. My guess is that is why I am so tired. Time to get back down to the business of losing excess weight. For the newbies: I am 53 yrs old, 5'8", married 31 years (next month), and run a childcare business in my home.

Cheat meals:I don't have cheat meals; I lean more towards cheat days/weekends/years. Cheater, cheater, booger eater. (Has anyone ever logged a booger? I wonder if a calorie count would come up...hmmmm) Because I am on an extremely tight budget, I can't really reward myself with a massage, dinner out, spa days, etc. So I reward myself with food. I think mentally I tell myself I deserve it, when I probably shouldn't be thinking that about food. Over the past three months with everyone NOT working and me still working (and the added stress of COVID precautions) I have been thinking seriously of finding a place where I can go and hide for a week. lol A vacation where no one NEEDS/WANTS anything from me. I am so fried. ON THE UPSIDE...I did the shopping today, after planning not only my childcare and family meals, but also meals for myself and I bought (and have already prepped) a pound of veg per day. It worked the last time I was bagging and eating that way. I have also prepped proteins for the week for myself. My goal is to go alcohol free, refined carb free (that includes added sugars) for a month. I am not adding any new exercises. I will see how this goes and go from there.
    Pip- So glad things are working out for you and Kirby!
    Machka- Glad hubby's surgery went well! When is yours scheduled?
    Carol- Your hair looks wonderful! So soft and pretty!

Gotta fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Hi Kelly- I have run a childcare business at home here for the past 30+ yrs- trying to cut back now- ready to totally retire. I totally understand being burnt out- 6 yrs with triplets 55hrs a week did that to me. Only have one family at a time now.
    I don't have cheat meals but think maybe I should to just switch things up- sticking to the 1000 cal a day for a year now need to change it up. Added exercise in again a week ago- hoping that helps- stalled and can't seem to loose- 15lbs from goal. The reward from that is looking great when I see hubby #1 and meet his new wife and then after that to look great at my 40yr class reunion.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Carol ... I like the "loose" look of your hair, but know from experience that it means the back is wickedly out of shape! My new hairdresser tried to keep some of that looseness on my own head, but had so much work to do after my intermittent chopping session in May that it didn't work out ...

Lanette ... thank you for the link to the Alzheimer website ... lots of interesting reading there I plan to dig into.

Barbie ... Jake "read the directions??" That, in itself, would be an oddity in my house ...

Absolutely love that photo of West Ireland ... I need to vacation there too Terri!

Kim ... Congratulations on winning the sewing bid!! I hope this leads to many more lucrative projects for you!

Cheat meals ... not really. 19:5 intermittent fasting allows me to eat whatever my body is craving by paying attention to satiety and fullness signals. I am still learning how to do that consistently and accurately, btw.

DLFK ... I would never, ever survive on 1000 calories. Never. Once, when I was strictly CICO, MFP set my calories to 1200 and I freaked out. 1280 I could do, but 1200 just set off some sort of danger reaction.

Had a FaceTime call with my mom this morning. She kept moving her face out of camera range ... which means I couldn't read her lips and thus was not able to "hear" her. When I kept prompting her to move her iPad ... she said she was too ugly for me to look at! What?? My mom is 89 but she is beautiful to me ... which I told her. I believe, however, this language might be indicative of some depression setting in with her and my dad. Several other comments were "down" also and my mom is known for being very upbeat. As soon as I can safely visit, I need to see them both.

The young landscapers have been at my home 3 days now and the area is really giving me joy! For several years, the broken fence (since replaced by the fence company last week), out of shape plants and beds, heaving edging material ... it all just left me upset. Last year at this time the weeds were taller than the shrubs. We wouldn't even use the pool. As my husband said ... who wants to swim when there's milkweed falling into the pool? Now, each time I look out the patio doors, I find myself smiling!! I've even located two red double knockout roses to plant in the one mulched bed. They still have to rebuild an area where the bottom rail of the new fence is too high (too much space underneath where someone could crawl under) and they're bringing in more stone ... but it's coming along beautifully.

Covid Comment
    My niece is a grad student at Baylor in Waco, TX. She had been home in NY since March, but went back to her apartment in Waco about 2 weeks ago. Her doctor, without testing her, is pretty certain she has developed covid since returning to TX. High fever for over 5 days, extreme lethargy, vomiting. So far she is breathing ok. Her health is on the fragile side to begin with. Good thoughts would be appreciated. On another note, are those of you in Florida SuziQ), Arizona and Texas worried about being placed on more restrictions? I see that cases are on the rise. NY is quarantining anyone who arrives from those states.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth, doing the 1000 cal hasn't been hard after the first month or so. Using MFP has helped. I have always been pretty healthy eating but portion control I have found is an issue. I am only 5' and very small boned so don't really need a lot. It is these last 15lbs that I am having a problem getting rid of. The 25 I have lost was very slow but at least I was loosing
  • Machka9
    Options
    Because I am on an extremely tight budget, I can't really reward myself with a massage, dinner out, spa days, etc. So I reward myself with food. I think mentally I tell myself I deserve it, when I probably shouldn't be thinking that about food.

Regarding rewards, for me a reward is being able to spend an hour or two outside walking, running, hiking, cycling, etc. without any other demands on me.

Running on my treadmill is OK and definitely better with Zwift, but being outside is the best ... and if possible, being able to explore and see different things when I am outside.

Over the past three months with everyone NOT working and me still working (and the added stress of COVID precautions) I have been thinking seriously of finding a place where I can go and hide for a week. lol A vacation where no one NEEDS/WANTS anything from me. I am so fried.

I've worked the whole time too, and took 2 courses at uni, and dealt with the demands of others.

One organisation I'm a member of kept sending emails starting with, "Now that we're not working and have all kinds of time on our hands, we have the chance to" ... and then there would be a list of work they would like done. I responded back a couple times saying, "Some of us are still working and are very busy".

Another organisation went really quiet for the first month, and then started in with an onslaught of emails, sometimes several times a day, sometimes accompanied by phone calls (which I didn't answer), all on the premise that everyone is just sitting around bored and here is a whole bunch of stuff to do! I replied several times that I was very busy, and it would go quiet for a week or so, and then it would start again. We're at "Stage 3" here so we can have in-person stuff, and the minute that happened, this organisation scheduled 2 meetings in July and wanted me to lead and do a presentation in one! Even after I had told them about my husband's and my surgeries! I've now told them quite emphatically that my husband and I are not mingling with people in July because we want to remain healthy during our recoveries from surgery. The meeting they wanted me to lead and do a presentation in was to be held about a week after my nose surgery ... yeah right ... I'm going to feel up to doing a presentation with my nose likely still bandaged and swollen and my eyes slightly black!! :open_mouth:

Speaking of which, my surgery is on July 10 and I am actually looking forward to it as a bit of a holiday. I know it's going to be dreadfully uncomfortable and I'm going to have to breathe through my mouth which I hate doing ... but I'm not working, I'm not in uni, and I'm not dealing with any organisational stuff in that time!!

I really hope you can take some time off soon ... and preferably not a surgery. :) Are you able to bring a substitute in for a few days?

{{Hugs}}

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    w74oc9n6fj85.jpeg

Find something that lights your fire, and warm the cockles of your heart.
    ☘️ Terri

With regard to this ...

I find I'm weighing up my frustration level with one of the organisations I mention in my post above against the benefits of being involved with that organisation. And I'm not sure whether I want to continue with them for another year. We're halfway through a year now and I will finish the year and then make a decision but .... maybe I want fewer demands and more "me" time.

We'll see.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: typing, made dip for picnic potluck, picked up H20 for soup kitchen
    Bonus: another load of laundry, mega veg prep.
    Get to do: Gold Beach, invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over cleaning mins: 20 Bedrooms, 4 Dining Room, 8 Guest Bath, 8 Master Bath; call PC guy about mic/speaker, check Post Office Box, Ace Hardware for OsPho and stove paint, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant pineapples, bean, melons, cukes; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, Sunday call Diane, Monday call Dr’s billing office again about statement (couldn’t ring through Friday).
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Annie if Teddie is going under for his dental, the vet could remove the cysts at the same time, and then be sure that’s what they were.
    @Loumarberts I keep a note of which page I've gotten to and what date and time of the last post I read. If you get caught up through all the postings, just post a few characters and mfp will return you to that page the next time you login.
    Beth waves of healing and strength to your niece.
    KJ cheat days/weekends/years :lol: That would be me! Thought of you as I was prepping mega veggies today. Yes it works. Don’t know why stop doing it when it works, like my knee exercises, but there it is. Back on board!
    Lanette thanks for the lady in the hat info. But there’s something missing from the air filter mask, where is the duct tape? That hair looks like mine except for the color… :lol:
    Machka watched the stove repair guy. He turned the burner on, pulled the knob straight off, inserted a tiny slot head screwdriver inside the shaft revealed when the knob came off, jiggled it around a little until he felt it seat into the slot of an adjustment screw at the bottom of the shaft, then slowly turned the driver to the left and watched the flame reduce. The trick is to not turn it down so much that it pops “out” and you have to relight the burner. Good luck!
    Until this adjustment, my only option was to have the pan half on the burner and half off, then rotate the pan to the other half, and back again and again and stir stir stir!
    Debbie in Napa I cannot imagine being without power for a month. :noway:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: better than May.
    daily: steps=3720 vits=26 log=27 CI<CO=23 CI<250<CO=15 Tumble & Shadow 5=7 mfp=27 clean 10 mins=10 outside=12 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=7 rx=3 dance=6
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play=0 sew=1
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I woke up at 3:30 this morning, but after a lovely lunch and a couple of cocktails ,went to Susans house and had strawberry shortcake and then went and picked up Alfie, Elena and Tom and Homer ,got be a cute basket with wine,a wine glass,bubble bath and chocolate covered strawberries for my birthday which was so sweet.. well carrying it in ,in the pouring rain, the wine bottle dropped and smashed , so had to clean that up.. and came in and got in my jammies....
    I have such wonderful friends....and will be going out again today with another set of friends
    having my tea and watching Golden Girls..
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Lanette - I was already doing the exercising, with the help of my DH, and finding the increase in ease of just living my every day life quite an eye opener. I really started the whole thing because I hated the way I looked, I really hadn't anticipated how good I would feel. Exercise really is a wonder drug.
    Then I read two books that Barbie recommended and I have mentioned before, Younger Next Year and Slimmer This Year. They were eye openers. The Slimmer book is the one that really goes into the amazing effects of exercise on the body. I read it again and again. Also clearly explains gut health. As you know, it is the body's ability to fight decay, damage and inflammation that is the key.
    I remember thinking ,"I wish I'd known this stuff,", but I think I did know it, I just hadn't really heard it. My other thought was, "Why isn't everyone doing it?" It could radically change the health service, our experience of old age, the economy, etc etc. I still find it weird that the government isn't pushing it in a really big way.
    I don't know the answer to the lethargy of the older population. Is it just too hard ? Do they not know enough? When I see people struggling like I used to I want to tell them that things could be so different. But I think they know that already and something is stopping them actually doing something about it.
    One thing thing is super clear - if you don't use it, you lose it. I'm now exercising to keep old age at bay for as long as I can. Long may it continue.
    Must get on with my weights! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well went back to sleep for a couple of hours.. and having another cup of tea and some toast... then going to do my hair and go difure out the kindle with pandora for Faith
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Did an hour on the Wii doing balance games. Boy, my balance really s****. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Body Pump DVD at the one gym. I know I’ll be the only person in the room.

Amber
    – I just read that Chuck E. Cheese filed for bankruptcy

Regarding Newcomers – I’m sure they’re concerned about the number of people who will probably not renew. I know one gal who said that not much can be done so she won’t be renewing. Personally, I thought it was a bit early for them to be asking, at least I THINK they asked her. I still have access to the mailing list. Not that I do anything with it. I counted (roughly) and we right now have something like 253 members. Wonder what it’ll be like in June? I know last year they extended the time you can renew from the end of March to the end of May. To me, that’s too long. People are going to be feeling "why renew, they’ll probably just extend it anyway”. Who knows, they might decide to extend it by the amount of time the club couldn’t do anything. Well..not my problem but I just think it’s going to be interesting.

Barbara – I’ve found that lately MFP might return me to the page where I was, but it doesn’t take me to the post where I was. So that’s why lately I’ve been posting multiple times a day.

Wow! MFP says I have a 6 day streak now!!!! I’m getting there….:)

Chass – unfortunately, I couldn’t open your link. It looks like it would be interesting. But Bitdefender kept blocking it.

I'll probably go to Aldi in a few

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Wonder what it’ll be like in June? I know last year they extended the time you can renew from the end of March to the end of May.
    Michele NC

It's the end of June now.

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Michele, I should have said something - this entry earlier is a phishing attempt - I flagged it, and everyone should avoid it - it's either a scam or a virus.

u272ccu0xdw9.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) The weather yesterday was uninviting. I walked the dogs as usual but couldn't summon the desire to work in the yard. What I like about our house is that yard work is for fun, it is not a daily demand the way it was in other houses we've lived in. I got lots of time on the bike, but my step count was low so near the end of the day, Jake wanted to listen to music so it was easy for me to walk back and forth across the house and be with him and listen to music and add steps. I love to see high numbers on my pedometer.

:) Today is the last day of quarantine from my morning walking friend. I have enjoyed the extra time to listen to podcasts and audio books, but I look forward to talking to her again and the dogs will be so happy to see her. Today my other walking friend will come over at 9:30 and we'll walk and talk for an hour. Then I have another Zoom event where I'll be listening not participating so I can ride my bike and listen.

:)Lisa, great deer picture. We sometimes see deer in our neighborhood but with dogs on leash, there's no way I could get out my phone and take a picture. The last time we saw a deer it was running toward us so we sought a detour and got out of the way.

:) There are two cucumbers on our plant that are almost ready to eat. Jake suggested making cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches. Yesterday he made roasted potato wedges in the Foodie using the two "found" potatoes I brought him. He asked it I thought that we a good meal to have again and I told him it was delicious but not exactly high nutrition.

:)Heather, you are so right, People know what to do, they just don't want to do it. Someone told me that we all know that broccoli is better to eat than candy bars but we still make the wrong choices.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    morning peeps. today is the day that we HIDE anything that isn't going 2b part of the staging of the house for the picture taking, outside and inside. did another goodwill run yesterday of some things that weren't selling and other misc stuff (not much) was smarter this time, got there about an hour earlier this time an there were only 5 cars in line. Kirby plans on cutting the grass today so it will be nice and trimmed for tomorrow.

when we looked the house over after they cleaned the house, it was a lot cleaner than it was before, no doubt. but some stuff was missed. the outside kitchen cabinets, I told her about moving around the stuff in the fridge and to clean in there, that wasn't done (we don't have a lot of stuff in there). the window seal area where you open the windows, all of those weren't done, the windows could have been cleaned better, still had streaks. I found a broken antique lamp that I swear wasn't broken when I left. they charged by the hour and it was 480.00. I took an 80 discount for the broken lamp and for the lack of missed stuff. it was too late for the to come again cuz the pics are Monday. I'll have Kirby get superglue and get the lamp fixed, at least it was one piece that broke.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Took Alfie out for his constitutional and it was a success but boy is it warm outside.. its supposed to rain this afternoon,it poured yesterday afternoon but we need it. I am hoping there is an alternative to being outside wherever we are going...
    Pip and Kirby good luck with the house showing....
    Will try and get pictures today
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I think it is quite complicated why people can't persuade themselves to exercise. It's partly that the rewards are not immediate and they have no access to the long view. If it feels hard at the beginning and they can't see any quick benefit, they give up. I think that was my problem - I really did not know how good being fit feels and, if they told me, I didn't believe them. I thought they were just crazy masochists.
    I think it is very hard for someone who is very unfit to visualise a different reality without a lot of encouragement and some examples. I used to look at a lot of before and after photos when I first started to lose weight and found them very inspiring, but there is no before and after of a feeling, or of ease and pleasure in movement. All you can feel is the misery of seemingly rather boring tasks which don't feel at all good in the short term. That's why my husband's encouragement was so important for me. You do feel the pain and none of the gain for some time.
    That's why it's important to start with something you enjoy for its own sake and to get the support of others, like your line dancing. It's important to like the teacher, like I did with my yoga teacher. Because I was uncomfortable, if not in pain, most of the time, I couldn't imagine a life without pain. I made excuses all the time - can't do this because I've got a bad knee, bad ankle, sore back and so on. As it gradually began to go away, I was astonished. I had resigned myself to an old age with much reduced mobility and constant pain.
    I still think it's a miracle that I did turn it around. :p
    I think the books are good because they enable us to visualise what is actually happening inside our bodies when we exercise. Wonderful things!

I didn't go for a run today as it is very windy. DH went for a walk and said he could hardly stand up on the seafront. I rowed for 35 mins instead for my bonus calories. Having roasted butternut squash with ragu for dinner and broccoli. With parmesan I'm counting 400 calories.
    I'm debating with myself when to dye my roots. Maybe later this week. I will wash it now. Feeling lazy today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx