30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Day 54

My intestinal issues have resolved and I feel much better. Probably even better because of a rest day. But oh my goodness, my kids have fought ALL. DAY. LONG. 😭 So much coffee and Tylenol today.

I did get on the bike, got in my steps, and even (very carefully) did my crunches for the day. Wow, it's even harder to do ab work when the abs are already sore. But this is a stage I need to work through to make them stronger.

My weight is taking a downward plunge. While nice to see, it's probably temporary.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 60

50184645241_3a8f8e9337_n.jpg
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 382 Member
    Managed to get 6000 steps today. Left my phone at work so i walked to work to get it and back. About a 20 min walk. I also walked in place while watching netflix to get to 6000 steps.
    Steps ✅
    Calories ✅
    Now to get to bed at a decent hour tonight... was busy enough at work I didn't notice so much that I was still hungry after lunch. Nice healthy ish cooked meals today.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Great work, @kcd394! Lots of goal ticking and good plans. I'm going to try to get some proper sleep tonight too, I always underestimate how much it helps my body recover.

I'm feeling mostly human today after spending yesterday on painkillers and soaking in the tub. Only minor niggles now. I have learnt my lesson about stretching!

I don't know if it was the good news I had last week (so decreased stress), seeing friends (for the first time in three months) or getting some fresh air (again, for the first time in three months), but I feel lighter today. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. I'm carrying less, in all senses!

Tomorrow marks the end of week 12. That means I will have 2 weeks left to hit my first major goal, and also that I will have been doing this all for 12 weeks, the length of time it's supposed to take to form a new habit.

Did I buy a sandwich from Pret with nearly 600 calories that wouldn't have filled me up? No, I made a roasted red pepper and houmous brioche with potato crisps for 285 calories and feel quite content with my choices. I am actually starting to feel like a different person. Or maybe just a better version of myself.

Today feels like a good day. :) Hope you're all getting on well too!
  • MommaGemz
    @kcd394 Great job accomplishing your goals for the day! I too need to work on getting to bed at a decent hour ;)

@thelastnightingale Great job passing up the sandwich and sticking to your goals. 12 weeks is sooooo close! Glad your muscles are feeling better - my abs are too :)

@NadiaMayl Welcome to the team! So glad you made the decision to take this control back into your life! Where did you live in Texas? I live near Houston right now - Hello from Texas!
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    @MommaGemz howdy and thanks! We lived in Humble for 12 years and Katy for 5!!!! I went to HS in south Texas. :smile:
    Miss so much from our lives there! Any major decisions on schools for kids coming up?
  • thelastnightingale
    @NadiaMayl Welcome back to the wagon! :smile:

I've only been to Amsterdam, but thought it was gorgeous. As you say, great for cycling, so if that's a form of exercise you can do, you're in one of the best places to do it!

My enduring memory of Amsterdam was all the stairs... I remember arriving at my hotel, being let in and staring at the stairs to reception in sheer horror. :lol:

It sounds like the last couple of years have been really rough, so the fact that you haven't broken is a massive accomplishment. You're still here, and you've got to be an incredibly strong woman for it. Socially distant elbow bump to you. The weight loss part - the part you're starting now - will hopefully help you feel more positive about everything, but do make time to recognise how brilliant you are, and to be kind to yourself.

The journey isn't always easy, but we're all here for each other for all the bumps in the road. And none of are turning back, we're all moving forward to a happier, healthier life. :)
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Great job @kcd394! Sounds like you are taking control!

Congrats @thelastnightingale for sticking with your plan for nearly 12 weeks! Glad to hear you are feeling better! And that sandwich sounds delicious! I love roasted red peepers! And hummus. A little roasted portobello thrown in would have be salivating like crazy!😊

Welcome @NadiaMayl! I know it’s hard to move away from family! And then losing your father... I like hearing your positive attitude about your situation now. Being able to bike easily does sound wonderful! I’ve been to The Netherlands, but really only Amsterdam and the surrounding area. I know, typical tourist! We went in the spring and the tulips were in full bloom! Simply breathtakingly beautiful!

• MommaGemz
    Day 55

Another vacation day and today is another day ear-marked for relaxation. I'm still aiming to get steps and crunches in, but no bike scheduled for today. We're all feeling more than a little cooped up, so I printed out a neighborhood scavenger hunt and we took the kids out for a walk and fun. Aaaannnddd, they hated it. They love playing outside, even when it's hot, but they just don't like what Mommy suggested.

The weight "plunge" continued today. I hope the high of this week can keep me going when I eventually settle and it takes awhile to make downward progress again. I'm currently participating in the Just Give Me 10 Days accountability thread and during this last 10 day round - I lost 3.1 lbs! It's worth it if you'd like extra avenues for accountability 👍

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 60

50187919643_2e009c8ff3_n.jpg
  • clutterqueen
    Way to go @MommaGemz for losing 3.1 lbs in 10 days! Impressive!

My day:
    Exercise: ✅ jogged 6 1/2 miles
    Tracked: ✅
    Under cals✅
  • kcd394
    Last night i went to bed at 10:25. Today i slayed my calories goal, even had room for strawberries and square of my intense orange dark chocolate bar for desert. I didn't take a walk today, but after netflix i shut it off early and started walking around my house to get the 6k steps in. 2 solid days on track but i need to go to the store tomorrow to pick up some things.
    Calories✅
    Steps✅
    Bedtime before 10:30✅

@MommaGemz glad to see you got outside! Even if kids didn't like your fun idea lol

@NadiaMayl glad to see you here. Yes the loss hits hard when you feel (and are) worlds away. I lost my grandpa whom i shared a birthday with etc. Then unexpectedly the stepfather who was basically my dad growing up (though i have a very loving supportive father too) only a few weeks later. Lost some other special people to me too but to lose those two in such a short time was very trying. I'm so sorry for your loss. Healing comes slowly, but it does come.

@thelastnightingale hummus and roasted pepper sanwhiches are sooo yummy! Now i wanna get stuff for that... lol

Keep up the good work guys!
  • NadiaMayl
    @thelastnightingale thanks for your sweet words! The Netherlands is a beautiful little country, many things to be grateful for living here. But yes, the stairs of death, as many of us immigrants, call them. LOL nobody warns visitors about climbing them with big and square suitcases. Hehehe

@clutterqueen Thank you! Sometimes being positive is an active exercise, that’s all I can do to make sure I don’t give up! Sometimes being stubborn helps too, hehe! The tulip fields in the spring are gorgeous!

@kcd394 thank you! I think I had to go through the low bottom to be able to start healing. It’s a process, I hope I’m in the up now!!!

@MommaGemz great week! I might go take a look at that challenge you speak of.

I did well yesterday! Stayed below calories, snuck walks throughout the day (doing an intensive language course, 4 hours virtual class and 3-4 hours of homework), I got on the treadmill at every break. PLUS my physio finally got what I’ve been trying to tell her for the last 2 months. That my Lowe back and hips feel like they’re stuck and stiff, like I need oil on the hinges :wink: so new plan of attack will hopefully show some progress!

Have a great night/day everyone!!!
  • thelastnightingale
    edited August 2020
    @NadiaMayl Stairs of death sounds about right! :lol: Well done on yesterday, sounds like you got heaps done. Which language are you learning? Dutch frustrates me as I feel I should understand more of it given its similarity to German. One day I'd like to learn it, but I have a lot of things on my one day list.

@kcd394 My approach throughout has been to try to find things that I enjoy that are lower calorie, rather than "healthy" foods, if you know what I mean. It's been working out well. :) I'm never been much of a dark chocolate gal, but that's something I'm going to revisit as a small intense hit is supposed to help deal with any cravings and it seems it's working for you. :)

@clutterqueen Gosh, everyone's been very active all of a sudden! Well done to you as well. :)

@MommaGemz Next time, how do you trick the kids into believing the scavenger hunt type activity was their idea, and mom had nothing to do with it? ;)

This week's weight was... 2.9lb! :smile:

For the last 5 weeks, I've had a pattern of a big weight loss, an undeservedly small weight loss, then big loss, then tiny loss, then big loss... I don't know what's going on as I'm really consistent with my behaviours (other than that jaunt to the park on Sunday!) and if it was period related, I'd expect to see one monthly spike rather than a constant down-up-down-up-down. Bodies are strange.

Based on the trend, I am predicting half a pound next week and trying to manage my expectations there, as any weight I lose over this coming week may not show up until the week after.

I don't know how scientific the whooosh effect is (probably not very), but the last month and a bit have shared the same reported characteristics. My belly fat has felt particularly soft and flabby, I've hung onto weight, then suddenly it's felt a bit firmer and the weight has dropped off. And then it's gone back to soft, and rinse, lather, repeat.

There has been an interesting development in that my sister reckons I am actually half an inch taller than I've always believed myself to be, but as I live on my own, I have no way of checking this. If it's true, I've already met my first BMI goal, but in the light of the lack of any hard evidence, I'm sticking with my 'old height'. It's not enough of a difference to adjust my goals overall anyway, given my ultimate goal weight was at the top of the healthy BMI for someone of my 'old height'.

I actually don't know the last time I was professionally measured. It's not really something they do as routine over here once you're out of school.
  • suegreg2
    suegreg2 Posts: 38 Member
    Ugh! That scale hates me!! Yesterday, up a pound and a half; today, down that same pound and a half. I will not give up!

@MommaGemz LOL! I tried the neighborhood scavenger hunt with the grands. Same results as you - I had fun, but they did not. As for your crunches, I had a website I went to all the time - great abs workout, including crunches with a twist for lats. I can't remember what the site was, so now I'm on a mission to find it on YouTube! Today also begins my hunt for the perfect protein bar - should be a tasty search!

@NadiaMayl Wow! What a change, from Texas to the Netherlands! Lots of stress factors happening - my sincerest sympathies for the loss of your father. I lost my youngest sister in January and put on about 14 pounds since then. It's so much easier to pack it on than to lose it! Now I'm in a frenzy to lose it so I can fit in my work clothes, again! I refuse to buy a bigger size!!!

@kcd394 Congrats on being creative about getting your steps in! I've noticed that I am A LOT more active when I wear my step tracker. (I haven't had it on for the past three days, and I'm feeling sluggish!)

@clutterqueen I applaud you for jogging - that takes discipline and commitment! I had a mental image of myself jogging and just snorted my coffee 😂. I should stick to walking - LOL!

@thelastnightingale Awesome food choices! Roasted red pepper strips are a favorite sandwich addition on mine, usually with black pepper turkey breast. And now I must buy some red peppers! Really good food choices, though, when it would be so easy to do fast food. Hubby and I, as we age, avoid fast and fried foods because they just don't agree with us anymore. And homemade is so much tastier!

Today, I'm scraping and painting the front porch steps. Hopefully I'll get a swim in, too, since the stormy weather has passed.
    Wishing everyone a great day!
  • MommaGemz
    @NadiaMayl I live in Sugar Land! Welcome from near-Katy! The school situation has been so stressful that it's part of the reason I gained even more weight this year. Ultimately we decided to take the kids out of school and home school until they can be in a safe and less anxious environment. I also didn't want to add stress and risk for the teachers. We've been home schooling for about 9 weeks now and I think we're getting the hang of it. Although it HAS been nice to take a break from it this week, for sure. We're doing year-round so we can have shorter days. Fantastic job getting in some movement during your busy school day!!

@clutterqueen Hurray for the 6.5 mile jog!! Jogging is something I've never really been able to do - I'm very envious.

@kcd394 Great job finishing all your goals for the day. Most days I do get in the majority of my steps walking around my house. It's just too hot to go outside right now. But I say, steps are steps!

@thelastnightingale So, the "whoosh effect." I know it's highly debated if this is real or not, but.... whatever the actual biological explanation - I totally experience it's symptoms! Like I hold, hold, hold for a week or two, then have a dramatic loss. This past month has been a great example. Remember how long I struggled with 187? Then 3 lbs down in a week - That didn't come back? Right now I'm in the 183s. I fully expect to hang here for awhile until my body is ready to "release" a few more pounds. And all this without ever changing my foods, exercising, sodium or water.

**For the benefit of the others in our thread, the "whoosh effect" claims that as we lose fat, the fat in the fat cell is replaced by water (which is heavier), so we appear to plateau for awhile. As the fat ratio in the cell decreases, the cell becomes to weak to hold all the water and breaks. Then we pee out all the excess water and "whoosh" our weight dramatically decreases. The legitimacy of this theory is under heavy debate.
  • NadiaMayl
    Not bad for my second day back! I went for walks during every break of my online language course plus before and after. And I tried a new recipe, which I hadn’t done in a while (and I loooove discovering new recipes) a tricolor quinoa with chickpeas, corn, mint, lemon juice, tomatoes and smoked salmon. Delish!
    @thelastnightingale I’m doing an intensive Dutch language course (B2 level), it’s making my brain hurt!!! Why is Dutch on your “one day” list? I had a few German classmates, they progressed fast but complained about not getting through their German language habits. Hehe
    @suegreg2 thank you, dear! I’m sorry for your loss as well. Changes and loss all at once are hard, puts us way to close to our vulnerabilities. But it’s life, right? Ooohhh buying new clothes is what finally got me back into MFP, my pants are 2 millimeters from not fitting and they’re uncomfortable, but I REFUSE to buy new stuff. So I better drop a few pounds in the next few weeks or or or...
    @MommaGemz hi Sugarland neighbor! Hehe how old are your kids!? Mine are 14 & 15 boys. They went virtual in March. Started back 1x per week F2F in June. We still don’t know what the coming school year will look like for them in The Netherlands. We’re starting to have a start of what could be a second wave, so who knows what will happen. Fortunately mine are fairly independent, but they sometimes need chasing to get their stuff done!!! When does school start?
  • MommaGemz
    edited August 2020
    Day 56

Today I had to do some unavoidable yard work and it was so hot outside 🌞 I was sweaty even before I got on the bike! I guess a little extra sweat doesn't hurt, but I'll be honest - I'm not a sweat kinda gal. I was very happy to shower after :D

The downward weight drop has stopped and it looks like I'm settling into where I'm going to be for awhile.

In early July we had to put one of our older dogs to sleep, and today I got to go by and pick up his ashes. He joins his older sister on our living room bookshelf. <3

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 64 (squeezing in a feeeeww more)

50191849326_8ecc5b3c3d_n.jpg
  • clutterqueen
    @mommagemz So sorry to hear about your dog. Had to be emotional day picking up the remains. And yet you were under calories. That’s amazing! Well done!

Me:
    Exercise✅
    Tracking✅
    Under ✅
  • thelastnightingale
    @NadiaMayl I have a bit of a background in languages, and it would be nice to go back to the Netherlands one day and understand more of what the locals are saying. In normal non-Covid times, it's pretty easy to get to the Netherlands for a short break, and it's a lovely country to visit. (Other than the stairs!)

New recipe sounds fab, it is surprisingly fun experimenting with food when you're trying to lose weight. I'm trying to avoid "diet" foods and instead find "normal" foods that I can portion control or that are naturally low in calories anyway. Not everything works out, but it's always super rewarding when you come up with a new dish that fits into your goals that you really enjoy. :)

@MommaGemz Like @clutterqueen said, that must have been emotional. Hope you're doing okay. <3

@clutterqueen Great work on hitting your goals!
  • kcd394
    Tried a new homemade chicken and vegetable curry recipe... was afraid that it would wreck my calorie goal today but surprisingly its not a super high calorie dish even with the full fat coconut milk. Learning the portion control part of eating at the moment. Surprisingly did very well on calories today and have room for some desert again.
    Calories✅
    Tracked everything ✅
    Steps: gonna pace the apartment to finish
    Planning to go to bed at 1030 again.