30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Ugh. Today I feel heavier, I am heavier and I feel tired and greedy on top. :(

It's unfair how much periods mess with your mood and weight. Still, as long as I don't give into the hormonal artificial need to eat everything in sight, the water weight will eventually come back off. The rational part of my brain knows this. I need to listen to the rational part of my brain.

Today, I'm going to focus on staying hydrated, keeping an eye on my sodium intake and will also try to get some extra rest.

Wishing everyone a better day!
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    edited August 2020
    @suegreg2 I have found my weight-loss pattern and I call it "slinky method" :D Up and down, up then down. That's a great idea to find a program or app for crunches. I've just been doing some regular and them obliques, but it definitely doesn't have a fun feel to it - just a daily obligation.

giphy.gif

@NadiaMayl My kids are 7 and almost-9 (2nd and 4th grades), so they definitely still need alot of hand-holding. So I figured I'd just take charge of the curriculum of I was going to spend so much time on it. Our school's distance learning mechanism is extremely time consuming and painful. We started our home schooling year on June 1st, and I plan to have a week break every 9 weeks. This should get us through until next Fall and we can see about sending them back to in-person school. That recipe sounds yummy! We have salmon every week and I'd love a new way to make it. I bet my daughter would love it smoked.

@clutterqueen Our pup, Vern, was 19 years old, so the adults were prepared for this eventuality, but for the kids it was much tougher. There were lots of tears and snuggles yesterday. Great job keeping up those checkmarks!

@kcd394 I LOVE a good curry as well. I have been buying pre-made curry sauces, so I can see the calories per sauce serving and weigh it out. It ends up feeling like "curry lite," but at least it satisfies the craving. If calories didn't matter, my husband and I would hit the local Indian restaurants at least once a week :D

@thelastnightingale I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather. I feel my time is going to be soon and I feel just in your shoes as well. Wishing you well!
  • MommaGemz
    Weigh-In Day - WEEK 8!!

Start: 196.2
    Last week: 185.4

TODAY: 183.7 ✔️

1.7 loss from last week, and 12.5 lost total. I'm feeling really good and positive right now! The last two weeks have definitely balanced out the two prior. FitBit says that TOM is imminent, so we'll see what the next week is like.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    @thelastnightingale hang in there!!! Period fluctuations suck! Mine have been getting crazy long, heavy and painful the last two years (44 yrs old so, I guess it’s the fun part of perimenopause)!!

@MommaGemz aahh yes, lots of handholding at that age. The 9 weeks on 1 week off sounds great, it’ll give everyone something to look forward to!!

Appointment with a podiatrist today (for my back pain), I really don’t think he had the answer. Sure my legs are crooked and my stride is off balance. So insoles for that. But it’s not going to fix the pain. So, on to keep on searching. Maybe it’s time to demand a referral to the orthopedic doctor.
    Oh well, keep on going!!
    Have a good rest of the day, all!!
  • MommaGemz
    Day 57

Okay, so today I was hit with the LAZY bug in the biggest way! I can use vacation as an excuse only a few more days. That TOM also showed up today, along with the bloat and cramps, and it just sapped any motivation I may have had. That's okay. I'm going to have days that I don't want to be so active. I did manage to get in about 6500 steps to account for the "lightly active" setting in MFP, and made sure my calories were within range. So the day wasn't a total loss.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - Nope
    Crunches - 64

50195860222_69474e40e9_n.jpg
  • thelastnightingale
    @MommaGemz I hear you. I was so drained of energy, I didn't do any of the cooking I planned to and instead spent the day grazing on picnic foods. (Still within my allowance, but zero effort involved.) Some days the spirit is willing, but the body is lazy.

Got a sudden, small blast of energy, so made some carrot salad to have for dinner. It's my new favourite recipe, and it tastes better if you can make it ahead of time.

Does anyone else have any new healthy favourites that they've discovered along the way, that perhaps they wouldn't have previously thought would appeal?

@NadiaMayl Sorry you didn't get the answers you wanted from your podiatrist. I suggest you keep pushing for a referral given it sounds like you have enough determination to do that now - the feeling may fade later down the line when you need it even more.

Here comes the weekend... does anyone have any healthy plans in store?
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    @MommaGemz Congrats on the loss! You are killing it!

@thelastnightingale, great job on staying rational during TOM! So hard to do when your body seems to want to go off the rails!

@NadiaMayl So sorry you’re not feeling 100%. Back pain stinks. Whenever I’ve overdone it and my back protests, I take a couple of turmeric supplements ( NatureMade) at night. I usually feel much better in the morning. I take it every morning for the anti inflammatory properties. It’s the only thing that healed my plantar fasciitis. Nothing the ortho tried worked: boot, diclofenac, custom made orthotic, and even a cortisone shot. Just a thought.

Spent a couple hours reading by the lake today. Perfect weather for that today.

Exercise: ✅. Jogged over an hour
    Logged everything:✅
    Under calories: ✅

• kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 382 Member
    Pranced around my apartment again to hit 6k steps. Glad I have a basement floor apartment lol. Stayed under my calorie goal for today again (4 days in a row) but I'm late to bed by half hour now.

Its painstaking, but I plugged in each individual ingredient for the curry in a recipe and made it 5 servings (which I split it into 5 equal servings to go in the fridge so I dont have to weigh or guess how big a serving I had). I hope that's accurate.

Some days you just gotta be lazy... that was today for me too. Dragging a little towards the end of the week. Was not as active today at work, didn't really go for a walk either. Was thinking about just not finishing the 6k steps but decided to march around the house while listening to a zoom meeting online. Beats sitting on the couch listening...

Also, I am missing my water bottle... I left it at the other clinic last Saturday when I worked there and haven't been back that direction to go get it.

Gotta get to bed.
  • MommaGemz
    @NadiaMayl Dang, I'm so sorry you're in pain and with no real way to deal with it. Hugs!

@thelastnightingale I'm going to try, try, try to do better today. I feel like a slug this morning, but the best I can do is just get on the bike later and pedal. And drink that water!

@clutterqueen Reading by the lake sounds heavenly!! 😍

@kcd394 Great job o hanging in there and getting those steps in even when you weren't feeling it! 👍

• thelastnightingale
    I hate this weather. I'm really warm and it's so unpleasant. I suppose the good news is I'm going to sweat off this water weight faster than anticipated! :lol:

@kcd394kcd394 Ahh, you've been more active than me, so I'm impressed with you even if you're less so.

@MommaGemz I am in awe of your commitment to that bike! You're definitely getting your money's worth out of it! :)
  • MommaGemz
    Day 58

I'm feeling better today, but I did still need some Tylenol. I had two "slack days" this week, so I was extra motivated when I woke up this morning to make sure I had a great goal day today! I think 184 is where my body wants to settle for a little while, so this calls for extra consistency and diligence during this limbo time.

I'll tell you, this pandemic is wearing on me. I needed to run errands today, but I asked my husband to do it. I just didn't have it in me to go out in the crippling heat and humidity and mask up to be around people. I also needed to cut my kids hair again. Honestly, when I bought the clippers and cut everyone's hair back in May - I thought it would be a one-time thing. I truly thought that by the time they needed a cut again, I would feel more comfortable taking them out to a salon. Not the case. So I got the clippers out again and trimmed everyone's hair. This may seem like a random vent, but it's essentially what caused me to gain weight in the first place. Like... the stress of having to learn how to cut my family's hair.... for safety reasons. Sigh....

I also didn't go out and get groceries like I usually do on Friday afternoon. The fridge was getting bare, so the family ate random leftovers and I made breakfast-for-dinner. The fridge is nice and empty for my grocery run tomorrow :D

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 68

50198979417_5e0589402f_n.jpg
  • MommaGemz
    afbce82e2157d13be9d1f9e9979d8a43.png

Discussion Question Time! :smiley::smiley:

Forewarned is forearmed - is that the phrase? To help us all out this month, think forward to see if there is a day or event in August that might be challenging? What is this event, how will it be challenging, and what do you think you can do to plan ahead for it? It may not be something you can avoid, but maybe just mentally prepare yourself to accept?

This came to mind because my son's 9th birthday is at the end of August. I used to be a cake decorator, so I usually make them whatever cake they want. So, I'll be eating cake. He'll also want pizza, because it's his absolute favorite. I know one thing I can do is to order a veggie pizza along with his favorite pepperoni pizza, to reduce the calories I eat from pizza (I also love veggie pizza!). I know I'll be eating cake, but I don't want it hanging around forever tempting me to eat it every day. So after the birthday, I will portion it up in small slices, wrap it, and then freeze it. It will still be available for treats, or when the kids or husband wants dessert, but it will bw much less tempting (or impulse) to eat it.

Do you have a challenging day coming up this month?
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz You still needed Tylenol and lamented we are still stuck in a Pandemic but you managed to stick to a good eating plan! Bravo!
    I was having a day too where I’m ready for this to be over! I feel like it could’ve been over a while back if everyone would just be consistent wearing masks and social distancing. It’s frustrating.

As to your question about a day coming up in August that will be challenging, that will be Friday, my husband's birthday. The kids are coming into town. We’ll be having cake and special meals. I’m going to try to just keep the damage to one day and get back on track the next. Easier said than done for me!!

@kcd394 I’m so impressed you can get in your steps walking the floors of your apartment! That’s commitment!

@NadiaMayl How was the back pain today? It’s hard to get motivated to do anything when your back hurts! Maybe some yoga stretches will loosen it up enough to take the edge off.

Happy Weekend, everyone!
  • kcd394
    I do feel kinda like an idiot pacing back and forth in my apartment... its only a small 2 bedroom place. But whatever checks the goal. Yesterday i was busy cleaning my fish tanks (i have 6 tanks to maintain). When i finished that and dishes and took out the trash then i loaded up to head to my boyfriends house for the weekend. I didnt leave til 930 and i was exhausted by 11 when i got there so i didnt hit 6k steps. Plus i treated myself to a chocolate milk from the gas station on my way there so 4700 ish steps, 1800 ish calories yesterday plus i was in bed at 11:15. So no goals checked. Plus i logged it all this morning cause i was too tired to last night.

@MammaGemz The upcoming event I will struggle with is next weekend. A friend's wedding. I do worry too that when my boyfriend and I move in to a house together i will not be as good at following my goals. He's like minded in trying to eat better and get healthy too so we'll make it work. Currently working on some things in his house today with his parents. They're replacing countertops and the sink in the kitchen. Getting it ready to sell so we can buy a house together.

@NadiaMayl hope your back pain gets some relief soon...

@clutterqueen i love reading by the lake in my hammock... i used to go for a walk around the whole lake (we have a few with paved trails all the way around) then reward myself with a nap or book in the hammock. Don't live near those lakes now.

@thelastnightingale not new to me but i love roasted veggies. I was told a long while back that cabbage and brussel sprouts and beets were good for my gallbladder to help keep the bile nice and thin. I don't particularly like beets canned or raw, but if you cube them and roast them like potatoes or broccoli in the oven they are pretty good. Then i thought id digure out how to use the greens... I chop them and sautee them with bacon for a side. Plus beets turn you pee and poo purple ish which is kinda funny... beet juice stains everything though so you have to clean up immediately. I also really like cabbage steaks or cabbage wedges roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and some seasoning. Lots of ms dash seasoning mixes go good on them. There's a parmesean garlic one i think that's good but you just have to watch salt content.

• MommaGemz
    @clutterqueen and @kcd394 - it looks like next weekend we'll be cheering you on as you maneuver through your events. Regardless of how the actual day goes - make sure to have a good goal day the very next day 👍

@clutterqueen You know, I think I have my best days now when I start to feel the overwhelming scope of the pandemic. During high stress I either 1.) lose myself to comfort food and activities or 2.) find some means to hold onto a tiny bit of control. I already did #1 and gained weight :o Now I'm in the next stage and my Food Diary is my own tiny little haven of "control" no matter what else is going on out there in the world.

@kcd394 It's great that you're already thinking about how moving in together will affect your habits. I always seemed to put on weight after moving in with someone, but that was likely because I just wasn't paying attention. Since you're aware of this - You're way ahead of the game!
  • MommaGemz
    Day 59

Today was a really nice, relaxing Saturday. I did have to start in preparing for next week, but it still had a bit of a vacation vibe to it. I needed to complete and print our lesson plans for the week and get our classrooms cleaned and set up for Monday. I got to sleep in this morning and it was nice to have a day off from the bike.

So all-in-all, pretty chill and comfortable day 🌞

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 74

50201762768_314382d16a_n.jpg
  • thelastnightingale
    This heat! I'm going to start cooking at night when it's cooler, I think. I can barely move in the day, it's so warm.

I might make some mini crustless veggie quiches or something like that - something I can keep in the fridge and graze on, that is perhaps a bit more balanced than my existing grazing options.

@clutterqueen Getting back on the wagon after a day off is always tough, but you can do it. We'll be here if you need any support as you do!

@kcd394 I put on weight when living with my ex because he did most of our cooking and always made equal portions. He could never understand that being female and shorter, if we ate the same, it would be too much for me... I think as long as long as you're aware of your sliding doors moment, you can make sure you continue to make good choices. :)

@MommaGemz I have a couple of potential good news/bad news days coming up in August. Good news = celebrate with food. Bad news = comfort eat.

What I've done is pre-planned a couple of 'decadent' meals, i.e. treat dinners that look like they should have more calories than they actually do. I have them in reserve for when I need them.
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz Glad you had a relaxing day after getting to sleep in.
    That’s very good advice to have a good goal for the day after the birthday celebration. Got my fingers crossed!🤞🏼

@thelastnightingale Great idea to have some decadent looking meals that are actually less caloric for when you need to have a treat dinner.

@kcd394 Good for you going back and logging the food this morning since you were too tired last night. It’s good to keep the accountability going even if it’s a day late.
    Sounds like a very busy time replacing countertops and kitchen sink getting the house ready to sell. Hope you’re taking before and after pics!

@NadiaMayl Is your back still bothering you? Have you tried icing it at all. Sometimes icing several times a day helps, even though it’s not very pleasant doing it!
    Anyway, hope you’re feeling better!

My day:
    Exercise: ✅ jogged 6 1/2 miles
    Tracked everything: ✅
    Under calories: ✅
    Way under today because we were out looking at houses ( only new construction, unoccupied) and got back too late to eat much. I’m part of the Just Say No to Late Night Snacking. My weekend cut off is 8:00. By the time we got back I only had about 6 minutes to try to eat. Have a feeling I’m going to be making up for that tomorrow. Or paying for it with lack of energy in the morning!

Havre a great evening and rest of the weekend Everyone!
  • kcd394
    Ok third times a charm... i tried posting last night, mustve hit done and not post reply... tried again a minute ago and did hit done instead of post reply... lol

This weekend is proving to be an unexpected struggle as my boyfriends mom is cooking for us and she made cornbread and brownies to have at dinner. She also made roasted green beans which i had extra of and some potaoes and onions and some chicken. I just had a small piece of cornbread and just one bite of the boyfriends brownie. At lunch she made sandwiches and I had some chips and salsa but limited myself to one serving of the chips.

I wasnt very helpful with the counters and sink and the old ones were off before i got there Friday so no before and after shots from me. They're still working on it today. Lots of talking and deciding how to mark it and cut it... then mat noticed the one piece of the counter is an inch too long (after they've planned out where the sink goes etc lol). So pause while they trim the whole thing down an inch and remark... finally by dinnertime they had the hole for the sink cut out and adjusted so that the sink fits. Now they have to attach the two pieces of counter and mount the sink (no room to get in there and do it from underneath) then put the whole thing on top and secure it... haven't been up there yet to see how far they got this morning.

Anyway by dinner last night i realized I'd been incredibly lazy. Only had 1250 steps. So mat and I went outside for a very long walk through some woods and the neighborhood etc. We were gone an hour and 40 minutes and went over 8k steps so I ended up going 10k steps yesterday despite not moving most the day. Still got to bed before 10:30.

Its my weigh in day but I don't have my scale here so I used mats. His weighs me a bit heavier I think... anyway last week I think I was either 193 or 192.7 ish. Today his says 191.6. Small progress but still progress. Feeling a little sluggish as it's that TOM for me and I'm feeling bloated. Excited to see what my own scale says but won't be on it til Tuesday morning.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I'm just so glad I'm not working. Worked the last two Saturday's and the two 6 day work weeks back to back were a little mentally taxing.
  • MommaGemz
    @thelastnightingale Excellent plan for your challenging days - Have yummy food ready! I hear you about the heat - it is sooooo hot and humid here in Texas and it is driving me nuts. I have comfort that it is August and once this month is through we'll be past the worst of it.

@clutterqueen I also try to do no evening snacking as well. I try to finish all eating for the day by 6:30, then not snack on anything else for the rest of the evening. It's almost Intermittent Fasting "lite" because I go about.... 13 hours-ish without eating? Did you have a good breakfast today to make up for the low calories the day before? AND, did you find a house?

@kcd394 Awesome job managing meals during the house construction! It's so hard when you don't have control over what is being provided and you have to make wise choices when there are yummy brownies staring at you. Great job! Your walk with Matt sounds wonderful! I wish it would cool down so we could actually go out for a walk :o

@suegreg2 When does your school year start? And did you get the porch stairs finished?

@NadiaMayl How was your weekend? Are you feeling any better?