July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Sale Alert :)
    Reebok’s Super Summer Sale takes 40% off sitewide: Running shoes, apparel, more
    https://9to5toys.com/2020/07/16/reebok-super-summer-sale/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @deraffemikey06 Here we/they are. Click/select the empty star to bookmark the group for easier navigation. Happy running!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Guys, I just went online to change my registration from a full marathon to the half, and they want to change me for the change, and no refund to the difference.

Is this normal? Wellington let me change for free and will refund the difference.

I'm not expecting a refund of the difference, but an additional charge kinda stinks?

Auckland Marathon is particularly good at charging. When I ran my first race with them, ferry tickets to the start were free and you got a free adidas event t-shirt, all for about $70. Now it’s near $120 for entry, plus $10 for the ferry, t-shirts are around $55, plus a $10 processing fee. This is what happens when an event gets sold to Ironman.

To be fair though, it must be a hugely expensive event to put on - the road closures alone are staggering when you think about it - they close two lanes of the Harbour Bridge, which is impressive that they can even do that - and we takeover the northern busway for half a day too, not to mention Tamaki Drive and Victoria Park.

It’s bloody expensive, but you’re not going to get a more impressive running event in NZ.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Nice job on another 10k @kgirlhart and those are some adorable pests interrupting your yoga. Shavasana is also my favorite part of yoga (I'm always hopefully suggesting that class might be all shavasana) but it is definitely vulnerable to dog pestering.

@shanaber good to see you check back in and happy to hear you've been cleared to walk. Hobbes is looking good trying to cool down in the shade there.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/20 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    07/02/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 7.6
    07/03/20 :::: 0.9 :::: 8.5
    07/04/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 10.3
    07/05/20 :::: 4.2 :::: 14.4
    07/06/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 17.4
    07/07/20 :::: 4.2 :::: 21.6
    07/08/20 :::: 5.2 :::: 26.8
    07/09/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 29.9
    07/10/20 :::: 0.8 :::: 30.7
    07/11/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 34.8
    07/12/20 :::: 8.5 :::: 43.2
    07/13/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 46.4
    07/14/20 :::: 4.2 :::: 50.6
    07/15/20 :::: 5.1 :::: 55.7
    07/16/20 :::: 5.5 :::: 61.3/ 120 mile goal

This was a morning when I just did not want to run. I was up late last night and I'm super sore from my workouts the last couple of days. But the forecast was for thunderstorms later so I knew that if I put it off I would likely be even sorrier. I finally forced myself out around 8:30 am with a goal of a loop around the lakes that would get me at least 5 miles. It was very slow and not pretty. I stopped a few times and at the far end of the lakes debated who on my contact list would come and drive me home, but ultimately embraced the "forward is a pace" mindset and made my way back. At least there was a pretty nice breeze the whole time. Now that I'm home from work I'm of course glad I did it this morning even though the rain didn't amount to much yet.

This puts me at halfway to my goal for the month, so closer to being on track again.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hey everyone, brand new to the group but not to running. I'm hoping for at least 275 miles for the month. As of right now I'm at 139 miles to date so only slightly behind. Good luck to everyone getting their goals!!

Welcome!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pastorvincent - the greenhouse is coming along great. Do you have to deal with other critters getting into your fruit and veggies? I now have raccoons, squirrels and as of last night possums all eating my nectarines as well as these terrible green beetles that have just discovered them 😱 I think they are done for the season and I only got about 6 off the tree and only because I picked them early and left them to ripen on the counter.

That is one of the primary reasons to build the greenhouse - so that we get to eat some of what we grow! :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile cutest little raccoon pose ever. Ugh, sorry another week before the doc. Any chance an urgent clinic can get you started on a broad spectrum antibiotic? I had a coworker with Lyme. It took him almost a year to get diagnosed and had to go to Missouri from Oklahoma to get it. Horrible. Be well.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also convinced my daughter to run the Blerch virtual with me but apart, in September!

Yay! What distance will you do? I’m doing the half.

@rheddmobile I would try to get into an urgent date since the tick bite is causing a fever. Cute raccoon.

I had plans last night, but I squeezed in about half an hour of speed work before I left. There is a section of my neighborhood with no houses that is a little over 100m long, so I just did sprints along with a warm up and cool down. It has just rained, and steam was rising off the street. So glad it is the weekend so I can get in some cooler morning runs.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @rheddmobile I also think you should try to go to an urgent care clinic and get some antibiotics. If you start them quickly, they can stave of Lyme. That's a really cute raccoon.

@ContraryMaryMary Great tempo test and way to overcome the mental battle.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Going to urgent care at the moment would be a death sentence for me - if I get covid I’m most likely dead, and we are having a surge of health-care transmitted infections. My friends who work in health care locally have stories about health care professionals not wearing masks, or taking the insides of the mask out so it looks like they are when they really aren’t. If I am in danger of death I would risk it but not until.