July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic It's great that you helped out your friend and got 12 miles in in this humidity. I don't blame you for stopping.

@rheddmobile Yep. Times sure have changed. I wonder if they'll keep it up after the pandemic eases or if they'll get back to the old, "You have to come in." mode so they can make more money? I have an old set of encyclopedia's I was looking through one day and came across the entrance for doctor's. One of the things it said was that they spend the majority of their time making house calls! I just find the way things have evolved fascinating. Glad you are getting the antibiotic, just in case, even if it isn't lyme. Glad your knee is improving.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner @rheddmobile I agree that the hats seem so much hotter. I have a few thin brooks that are good and a nike thin golf hat that works better than the others. And a mesh Patagonia that is nearly like nothing. Good news though! Happy hat hunting!
    I wear a hat every time I run and have since I started because I burn so badly. Nothing hurts quite as bad as a hair part burn! I have found a few I really like that wick well. HeadSweats seem to be the best for me but I also have a couple of race promoted hats that are amazing (Ha! just looked and they are all from HeadSweats!). I do at times end up with sweat dripping/running off the brim but for the most part they work well and I am used to them now.

I have one HeadSweats hat and have yet to wear it. I have a child sized head for one, two it was sent to me from St Jude's, so I'm kinda emotionally attached to it, their cause, and my youngest son, Alex's nickname was Jude.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I have a few headsweats but same as @elise4270 I have a child size head. I started wearing Oiselle and they work so much better for me because they are made for women. I would recommend their visor but it's sold out! They keep selling out of the black & I keep missing when it restocks. I have the orange but would like a second one.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I ran my International Space Station Virtual 10K today on the treadmill. I didn't want to do it in the heat and humidity on the driveway and didn't want to drive anywhere to run it either. It worked out well, as I could control the incline and my pace and push myself more than I would have outside. I basically did 7 x (1 min @ 7.0 mph), 2 min @ 6.0 mph, 3 min @ 5.5 mph, 3 min @ 5.0 mph, and then walked 1 min @ 3.8 mph). Wound up with a PR at 1:08:19. I beat my April time on the treadmill by 5 minutes exactly and my outside time by 9 minutes. Of course, outside would have been much harder and slower today. Anyway, I was excited about the PR. (I also walked a mile.)

Post race picture below with the bling.
    81daezjzj1kb.jpg
    I received the bling a couple of weeks ago, but didn't open it until today. I was so excited to see that the writing on the shirt is iridescent. I love it.

exercise.png

Love that bling & shirt! I'm the same way, I don't open the package until I actually do the race.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I have a few headsweats but same as @elise4270 I have a child size head. I started wearing Oiselle and they work so much better for me because they are made for women. I would recommend their visor but it's sold out! They keep selling out of the black & I keep missing when it restocks. I have the orange but would like a second one.

I have a white one from oiselle I like. It has a zipper in the hat for a card, cash, id, key, etc... It is a heavier hat though.

ETA @quilteryoyo Love the bling! You look quite a bit slimmer now, from your profile pic!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I have a white one from oiselle I like. It has a zipper in the hat for a card, cash, id, key, etc... It is a heavier hat though.

ETA @quilteryoyo Love the bling! You look quite a bit slimmer now, from your profile pic!

I have that hat. I called it a snack pocket 🤣

I love their trucker style hats. They are light and airy. I do get a bit warmer in a hat but I like protecting my scalp a bit & blocking the sun some from my eyes
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I ran my International Space Station Virtual 10K today on the treadmill. I didn't want to do it in the heat and humidity on the driveway and didn't want to drive anywhere to run it either. It worked out well, as I could control the incline and my pace and push myself more than I would have outside. I basically did 7 x (1 min @ 7.0 mph), 2 min @ 6.0 mph, 3 min @ 5.5 mph, 3 min @ 5.0 mph, and then walked 1 min @ 3.8 mph). Wound up with a PR at 1:08:19. I beat my April time on the treadmill by 5 minutes exactly and my outside time by 9 minutes. Of course, outside would have been much harder and slower today. Anyway, I was excited about the PR. (I also walked a mile.)

Post race picture below with the bling.
    81daezjzj1kb.jpg
    I received the bling a couple of weeks ago, but didn't open it until today. I was so excited to see that the writing on the shirt is iridescent. I love it.

exercise.png

You look great! Congrats on the PR!

I’m wearing that shirt at the moment except mine is blue/purple. My husband got it for himself then decided the iridescent letters were a bit much for him, so he let me have it, and now it’s my oversized lounge-around-the-house shirt of choice. I feel like it’s the perfect sentiment for the quarantine era!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 I am slimmer, by about 30 pounds.....I'm guessing here. Not sure when the picture was made. Glad it shows. LOL

@skippygirlsmom Red is one of the colors I look good in, so that's why I got it. I do love it. I am so glad that wasn't anything wrong with your heart. Don't ever feel stupid about going to the doctor for something like that. I once thought I was having a heart attack, with pain starting in my chest area, then going down my right arm and back up into my jaw. I was driving and had to stop and cry it was so bad. I sat there for a few minutes until it eased enough to go on. I did have it checked later, and not my heart. It has happened a couple of times since, but I have discovered it was just really bad acid reflux - at least that is my self diagnosis. If I feel it coming on and quickly get a drink of water, it quits. I guess the water washes the acid back where it belongs before it can get bad. I'm going to check out the space rack challenge.

Thanks @rheddmobile . Glad you got a comfy, lounging shirt out of the deal. I love the sentiment in these times too.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 I am slimmer, by about 30 pounds.....I'm guessing here. Not sure when the picture was made. Glad it shows. LOL

@skippygirlsmom Red is one of the colors I look good in, so that's why I got it. I do love it. I am so glad that wasn't anything wrong with your heart. Don't ever feel stupid about going to the doctor for something like that. I once thought I was having a heart attack, with pain starting in my chest area, then going down my right arm and back up into my jaw. I was driving and had to stop and cry it was so bad. I sat there for a few minutes until it eased enough to go on. I did have it checked later, and not my heart. It has happened a couple of times since, but I have discovered it was just really bad acid reflux - at least that is my self diagnosis. If I feel it coming on and quickly get a drink of water, it quits. I guess the water washes the acid back where it belongs before it can get bad. I'm going to check out the space rack challenge.

Thanks @rheddmobile . Glad you got a comfy, lounging shirt out of the deal. I love the sentiment in these times too.

Hey that right arm pain and all, sounds like a gallbladder attack. It shares the same nerve, my DD has some odd variation in her nerve and it didn't present as a textbook case, which is right shoulder. Hers was actually left back. Any way, bets on gallbladder.

@skippygirlsmom WOW! scary. Really glad it wasn't cardiac. Hope you feel better soon and that episode never happens again.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 – 0 rest days
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 – 8
    7/4 – 6
    7/5 – 4
    7/6 – 5
    7/7 – 5
    7/8 – 3 with Champ
    7/9 – 2 with Champ
    7/10 – 4 with Champ
    7/11 – 4 mile trail race
    7/12 – 3
    7/13 – 5
    7/14 – 3 with Champ
    7/15 - 3
    7/16 -5
    7/17 – 6
    7/18 – 4
    7/19 – 6
    7/20 – rest day
    7/21 – 5
    7/22 – 5 with Champ
    7/23 – 7
    7/24 - 4
    7/25 - 3 with Champ and Skip

105 of 110 miles

@quilteryoyo I’ll have to remember about the water. @Elise4270 second question doctor asked was if I still had my gallbladder.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    @PastorVincent did you get that tetanus shot in the end? I had to get one last summer and it hurt more than the original injury! (Sliced open a finger depositing a broken dishwasher at the recycling centre...)

Oh yes, but it did not hurt at all. Itched a little the next day is all. It is allergy season in full bloom here so my biggest concern was I might cough while there and throw everyone into a panic. Thankfully we were in and out fast enough that I did not.

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Great job on your race!

@skippygirlsmom I’m glad it ended up not being anything heart related. I know that must have been really scary.

I’ve missed 2 days in a row. I knew I would miss Friday and had thought about doing a morning and an evening run yesterday, but yesterday ended up being a day long disaster. Woke up to sick dog who had to go to the vet (doing ok now, on meds), an A/C unit on the fritz (got it working now), and work calls starting at 5:30am. So, the runs just didn’t happen.

Finishing up some coffee and planning to head out shortly for a run. Then, another busy day. Can I have a weekend do-over???
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kuddos on my race and weight. I've worked really hard to get the weight down. Guess I need to update my profile picture.
    Faebert wrote: »
    Oh good. You’re luckier than I was then! It’s so strange now how awful you feel if you let out the slightest cough in public. My 9 year old joked the other day that it was probably less antisocial to break wind in public than cough these days. I asked her to try and refrain from both....!
    That's hilarious, and so true!!! As for headphones, I recently got the Aftershokz Titanium bone conducting ones and love them. Might want to check them out.

@Elise4270 That was several years ago. I can't recall if the doctor even mentioned my gallbladder or not. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again. It hasn't in probably over a year. Knock on wood.

@marisap2010 Yesterday was tough. Glad your dog is okay and the AC is working again. Hope today is better for you.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    7-1 7k slow
    7-2 7k slow
    7-3 7k between slow and easy
    7-4 7k ditto
    7-5 7k closer to easy
    7-6 rest
    7-7 7k slow
    7-8 7k easy
    7-9 7k slow
    7-10 7k slow
    7-11 7k easy
    7-12 7k slow
    7-13 rest
    7-14 7k slow
    7-15 rest
    7-16 7k closer to easy than slow
    7-17 7k closer to moderate than easy
    7-18 7k easy
    7-19 5k easy
    7-20 rest
    7-21 7k slow
    7-22 7k easy
    7-23 7k easy
    7-24 7k easy
    7-25 7k easy
    7-26 7k easy

July Total: 152k
    July Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k

2020 Total through June: 1056k / 176k per month

Sunny, mid 60s F, and a slight breeze from the southeast. One of those days when my legs got tired before my lungs did.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH