• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Barbie: I’ve never used a pedometer. I use the timer function on my phone to count minutes. When I ride my tryke in the garage, I set the phone to countdown 30 minutes. If I go for a ramble in the neighborhood, I set the phone to count up minutes. The ambles can be long some days with really nice weather, and shorter on other days. I miss yoga, but DH is worried I might bring a germ home to him, so I’m still not going to yoga classes. :ohwell:

Barbara: I’ll say Hi to Arrow. I haven’t had a lesson in over a month and I’m looking forward to it. :star:

SuziQ: What a great gift you were given! It is wonderful to be recognized for excellent work. :star: Regarding power—We’ve lived here for 23 years and our total power outages, combined, have been a minute to a minute and a half in all this time. We have the good fortune of being on the same circuit as the County Courthouse. Their supply has to be uninterruptable because they hold criminal trials along with daily management of vital services. Our previous home had many power outages when trees toppled power lines. We had a cast iron wood stove that kept us warm in power outages back then. :star:

Machka: Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery & easy recovery. :heart:

Lisa: I’ve always had a fondness for thunder and lightning from a very young age. I find it/them exciting. :wink: On the other hand, I’ve seen news stories from California and other western states & Canadian provinces several years ago, where lightning started fires that burned hundreds/thousands of acres and many homes. We experienced smoke from those fires that made outdoor air a health worry. So many lost their homes in that time. It was devastating for thousands of people, livestock and wild animals. :ohwell:

Allie: Enjoy your lovely home, your tea, and your freedom! :heart:

I'm looking forward to my riding lesson this afternoon. It has been a long time since the last one.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, I'm happy to hear that you'll be able to ride again. There is no "at home" substitute for riding a horse. You can do yoga at home and I can dance at home even though it's not as great as being in class, but riding your horse requires the horse and the right outdoor environment. I am unlikely to return to teaching my line dance class for a very long time. My concerns are the same as your husband's concerns about your going to yoga classes.

:)storing the Ninja Foodie, this required some serious reorganization of the kitchen cupboards and some sadness on my part about having more "stuff" in my minimalist kitchen. Both the bread maker and the Foodie required buying a host of ingredients and utensils for all the specialty cooking. Today Jake asked about replacing my pyrex bowls that I've had since I was in my 20's. He wants lighter weight plastic bowls for his cooking prep. I love that Jake has a satisfying hobby especially one that is cheaper than golf or fly fishing.

<3Machka, sending warm wishes to you and your husband.

:) My pedometer will be happy today. I walked for two hours with Sasha and my dog walking friend and will meet my other walking friend soon for an hour walk.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,825 Member
    Options
    h1z14fs7jat2.jpeg
    986p3yf1j2ip.jpeg

Lizard resting in the heat!
    RvRita
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rita ~ Have y'all thought about moving to a cooler place during the hottest months?

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather: You were lucky to be in the right place for power services back in the 70’s. I imagine there were many people who envied you. :star:

RVRita: I remember 100 degree days in past years, but no days over 101 or 102. I think I already told the story of my mom frying an egg on the sidewalk back in the 1950’s. We lived in an older neighborhood and our house had a basement. That basement was the coolest spot around. It is a good memory. :flowerforyou:

Today we have cool, overcast weather. The house is a comfortable temperature and the air conditioner is resting. I’m looking forward to a riding lesson this afternoon.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    SuziQ - I would love a portable air conditioner to have on the top floor out of DH'S way. He hates ac. I looked them up on Amazon and, at the moment, it would be a big expense for me. My fan is pretty good for the very occasional too hot nights.
    Spending money on anything for the house is a moot point for us. It has caused arguments in the past, so I am very wary of suggesting anything.
    We have decided that we would like to have the living room decorated, but we haven't discussed how to apportion the cost between us. I am avoiding the issue. :s
    We will probably end up doing nothing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Pip, I’ll miss the idea that you live “nearby”, like the other Puget Sound gals. I sort of can envision the general areas and feel like we’re homies. I know Fresno well enough to stay away in the height of summer. I lived in Salinas and made trips to there and Bakersfield fairly often. Salinas would be one of my Yes areas in California if I needed to move there for some reason.

Machka, i sort of channel your exhaustion. To be invested in a project that one knows will last years takes a different sort of courage than having to worry every minute about a loved one with challenges. I suspect it being well into winter isn’t helping much. I know you get as much exposure to light as you can in your “walks with a purpose”, as I think of your chosen lifestyle. If you chose to drive to work how long would your commute time be on a given day?

Lisa in AR! one of the steps on my journey to be “more normal”, as I thought of it back then, was to have a “bilateral reduction mammoplasty”! (I sort of love how that rolls off the tongue!) I was hugely endowed but had just gotten down to a “normal” weight of 145#. One of several times I got there, gained it all back - plus. I chose a lovely normal C-cup size and it turned out I felt “normal” indeed. No more having the boobs precede me into a room full of people, or having to buy a larger size top than the rest of me needed just to accommodate “them “. I felt lithe and lovely and had just turned forty. It was a terrific feeling. Now that I’m sitting at 3” shorter and a good 10# less than I weighed then and 37 years older, I’m still pleased, even though they’re just little shriveled bags with an orange sized lump at the end.

Karen, im reminded of how many women I’ve known who’ve suffered that unthinkable loss. I, the atheist, am praying heartfeltly to whatever that one of my best friend’s granddaughters begin to turn the corner. She fell into the pool and was unnoticed for perhaps 3-5 minutes. That was a month ago. She’s still fighting. There has been surgery to install a feeding tube and a tracheotomy(?) to be able to remove the ventilator and get her breathing on her own more. It’s horrifying. My daughters are all in their 39-48 years and the thought is still unbearable. I find myself tearing up just at the thought of your lost child. Many hugs to you for your courage to go on.

Sara628588, welcome! And welcome to any other newbies I’ve failed to note recently. I’m glad you’ve found us.

Margaret, your little pup is such a beauty. I’ll bet she’s a great cuddler.

Dlfk20200, is there a more personal way you’d like to be addressed? I’m sorry if I missed a name post.

Nicolas, my youngest grandchild, turned 8 yesterday, but I was working so he gets his telescope and books today. We MAY try our first visit to a restaurant with social distancing in place. I’m glad to see the end of tax season coming, but I’m definitely overwhelmed right now.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Heather grew up in St. Louis with no AC. We would go swim at night to help keep us cool. Now I need AC especially for sleeping for my health.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Amy Dixon and Paul Katemi’s Double Down DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump workout (hopefully, on uTube)

Katla
    – can you bring Arrow some apples or carrots? I’m so happy for you that you’re going to get back on him. I’m sure he’s missed you as much as you’ve missed him.

I have one card for entering the one gym attached to my regular gym bag. But I didn’t have one for my laptop and they couldn’t make me another one. Sooooo…what I did was copied the original card. Then I tried it to see if the scanner would register it and it did! So we’re ordering this retractable thing that you use for employee badges. I’m going to put that on my laptop bag. I don’t use my laptop all that much, but it’ll be handy to have my ID card right there.

Made more meringues. The soup kitchen got a big donation of eggs and before they went bad they gave me 5 dozen. You should see how many gallons of milk they had to throw out because they went beyond the expiration date! It used to be that they gave the milk to little kids. But not any more! Not sure why they don’t just give people the gallons of milk

Barbara
    – never heard of a comfy cone. I have to look it up. Do they have a problem eating? Does it maybe collapse so they can get to their dish?

SuziQ – how generous of your boss! And what a surprise! Did you maybe send him a note telling him what you bought and how it will be a benefit to your job? I’m thinking that the soup kitchen will do a meal-to-go fundraiser. They also usually around the holidays do something where they sell fudge. I’m thinking that this can also be something that can be picked up. Do you know that we moved our generator here from PA 12 years ago (almost 13) and we’ve NEVER (fortunately) had to use it. One time we thought we might, but it wound up that we didn’t. I, too, can’t wait for my hair to grow out to its color. Just saw this on facebook and thought of you: it said “First corona season, then riot season, now hurricane season. Do I need a mask, a glock or a generator?”

M – thinking of you today and wishing you and your hubby all the best

KJ – I forgot about that link, too. Now I bookmarked it so that I’ll remember it.

Went in the pool – temp is 89. Then made some more meringues. I really like them, at least that’s my newest kick. They’re light and low in calories

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Pip, I’ll miss the idea that you live “nearby”, like the other Puget Sound gals. I sort of can envision the general areas and feel like we’re homies. I know Fresno well enough to stay away in the height of summer. I lived in Salinas and made trips to there and Bakersfield fairly often. Salinas would be one of my Yes areas in California if I needed to move there for some reason.

Machka, i sort of channel your exhaustion. To be invested in a project that one knows will last years takes a different sort of courage than having to worry every minute about a loved one with challenges. I suspect it being well into winter isn’t helping much. I know you get as much exposure to light as you can in your “walks with a purpose”, as I think of your chosen lifestyle. If you chose to drive to work how long would your commute time be on a given day?

Lisa in AR! one of the steps on my journey to be “more normal”, as I thought of it back then, was to have a “bilateral reduction mammoplasty”! (I sort of love how that rolls off the tongue!) I was hugely endowed but had just gotten down to a “normal” weight of 145#. One of several times I got there, gained it all back - plus. I chose a lovely normal C-cup size and it turned out I felt “normal” indeed. No more having the boobs precede me into a room full of people, or having to buy a larger size top than the rest of me needed just to accommodate “them “. I felt lithe and lovely and had just turned forty. It was a terrific feeling. Now that I’m sitting at 3” shorter and a good 10# less than I weighed then and 37 years older, I’m still pleased, even though they’re just little shriveled bags with an orange sized lump at the end.

Karen, im reminded of how many women I’ve known who’ve suffered that unthinkable loss. I, the atheist, am praying heartfeltly to whatever that one of my best friend’s granddaughters begin to turn the corner. She fell into the pool and was unnoticed for perhaps 3-5 minutes. That was a month ago. She’s still fighting. There has been surgery to install a feeding tube and a tracheotomy(?) to be able to remove the ventilator and get her breathing on her own more. It’s horrifying. My daughters are all in their 39-48 years and the thought is still unbearable. I find myself tearing up just at the thought of your lost child. Many hugs to you for your courage to go on.

Sara628588, welcome! And welcome to any other newbies I’ve failed to note recently. I’m glad you’ve found us.

Margaret, your little pup is such a beauty. I’ll bet she’s a great cuddler.

Dlfk20200, is there a more personal way you’d like to be addressed? I’m sorry if I missed a name post.

Nicolas, my youngest grandchild, turned 8 yesterday, but I was working so he gets his telescope and books today. We MAY try our first visit to a restaurant with social distancing in place. I’m glad to see the end of tax season coming, but I’m definitely overwhelmed right now.

Sharon Near Seattle

Hi Sharon- my name is Debbie and I am in the Napa Valley,CA.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    trucker743 I love, missed the hot weather, so I'll be in my element. Kirby will have some adjustment, he'll have ac to turn on, I on the other hand am not a fan of ac, not even when I lived there
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    [quote="

[/quote]

Thank you :)

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Sharon Thank you for your kind empathy. <3 I am so sad to hear about your friend's granddaughter. An unthinkable tragedy.