WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Machka~ I sure do hope your on the mend, I remember having polyps in my nose and having them taken out .. it wasnt fun and I think I was a teen then... so will hope for you a speedy recovery
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I’m back couldn’t even skim read there’s so much. Daughter finally allowed to leave her room!! So to town she ubered for essentials.
    She saw this from her Uber
    lzjv7x33jr04.jpeg
    0khe91bkfkqq.jpeg
    rs6tkkmhyzpi.jpeg
    c8i92vz29mw3.jpeg
    ky4eo1i018t6.jpeg
    duku7cw4wxo2.jpeg

Amber Tx

I must have missed that your daughter is in SD. Yes, it was a very smelly night. It smelled of burned plastic all evening and into the wee hours of the morning. We had to shut the house up. Authorities swore the fumes were not toxic, but they sure smelled like they were. This morning, they sent out an advisory to stay indoors and close up the house, especially if it smells.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tina in CA: I trust your judgement about burned plastic fumes, and NOT the "authorities." Their goal is likely to keep people from being afraid or panicking, rather than keeping people safe. :grumble:

Katla in OR
  • sh0tzz99
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tina in CA: I trust your judgement about burned plastic fumes, and NOT the "authorities." Their goal is likely to keep people from being afraid or panicking, rather than keeping people safe. :grumble:

Katla in OR

When a military ship catches on fire, there are likely to be some toxic chemicals released. Just a hunch. :smile:
  • Katla49
    edited July 2020
    Options
    shOtzz99: Looked it up, and when any ship burns there is likely to be toxic waste. This fire looks very dangerous for those fighting it, and for the surrounding vessels and city. I still think the authorities are likely to try to keep people from being afraid. Toxic air is dangerous for everyone it touches. Fear & panic can also be dangerous. I hope there are no human losses. I fear there will be a death count. :cry:
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Machka, thanks for the update! And just remember that in a week or so the discomfort of surgery will have passed and you'll be able to breathe!
    Kayla, congrats on the canter!
    Tracey, Micki and her brother are adorable! Cute nickname story.
    Allie, Barbara and anyone else that's feeling down, hang in there, this is a new week and, as Rori says, "We can do this!"
    Heather, lovely story of thè fellow running with one child in the stroller and he other on a bike! When I see families out like that it always warms my heart and brightens my day, I just have to smile.
    Lisa, Levi......😙
    No time left this morning, off to go for a walk. Dentist appointment this afternoon, just a cleaning, really looking forward to it! We were due mid March and we all know what happened then, rebooked for mid April but of course that got cancelled too, so my teeth are looking forward to their "spa" time! lol
    Congrats to those celebrating, hugs for those needing them (extra gentle ones for machka) and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    B):/:|B) moody

RV Rita
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Well, it started off as a great morning until I turned on the light in the powder room. The light fixture blew out; literally blew out. The bulb holder popped out of the socket. Thank goodness the bulb did not explode or that would have been a real mess. Tested the fuse and it will not reset so it’s a call out to the electrician. That particular circuit lights my guest bathroom, powder room, pantry, and the courtyard outlet. And, of course the darn light in the ceiling will need to be replaced. I figure it’s going to be a $300-500 repair.

And, of course this happens the day after my best friend has almost firmed up her plans to visit me. The new plan is for her to arrive this Friday night and stay through August 1st or 2nd. I know it seems crazy to have a guest during this time, but we both live in Florida, are showing no signs and both have been playing it safe. I would probably reconsider but she sounds like she is on the edge. Her husband is a hard man and complains all day. And, to top that off her daughter, son-in-law, and their three children live in the same smallish home. I feel she really is in need of downtime so she can gather her thoughts and figure out what she wants to do with the rest of her life (there’s talk of moving away from the family including her husband). It pains me she is hurting so much.

On the bright side my new Kindle arrived and I am in love. It is so tiny and everything is touch screen! I cannot wait to use it for my bedtime reading. I always loved the smell and feel of a real book. But I find knowing I have a library for a total of 5 ounces in my hands simply amazes me. Technology when used for the good is a wonderful and delightful thing.

Lily – What a nice surprise from your husband.

Karen – Most of my bromeliads are in the ground. It is so tropical here we do not have to worry about temperatures. They like room to spread. My suggestion is to buy another pot about the same size as the existing one and some good, draining soil. I would pull out the entire plant and break off the baby as close to the parent tube as possible. No need to be delicate – just apologize to the plant beforehand and let it know it will be happier for the shock to its system (yes, I talk to my plants all of the time – usually in my head – I do not want the neighbors to think I am totally crazy). Pot the baby in the new pot, freshen the soil in the parent’s pot and viola two plants with room to spread. They also like to be watered from the top with water remaining in the little pot at the top of the plant. The pictures below are two others in my garden. Both were started from one parent. These do not have gorgeous flowers – we grow them for the leaf color/contrast.
    ti9htd83p1ig.png

l62udcxc67v7.png

Katla – Since that year the electric company has done a ton of work on our grid because it is connected to a retirement community. The last long period of time was three days which was survivable. It was weird because we had power through the storm and for about four days afterwards and then boom! I was prepared and did not lose any food. I love a good lightning storm too! There is something so primal and powerful about them. Congratulations on the canter! So proud of you.

Rita – Oh, those temps!! Please stay hydrated.

Heather – Big hug. Yes, those portables can be a little pricey. And, if DH is not on board it’s a tough sell. Here’s hoping the living room project does get done.

Sharon – I hope you’re able to get out to see your grandson. Sounds like a wonderful gift.

Michelle – The gift was actually from one of the reps I helped out. Yes, already sent a thank you (that day) while I was still shaking from shock. The next time I speak with him I will let him know what I purchased. I am sure he would appreciate it. And, I would suggest carrying all three!

Tracey – How adorable!

AC – 24/7/365 here in SFL. Last winter we had a total of 5 days where the temperatures were under 50 degrees.

Welcome Ruth. And, it is not about the number – it’s all in the attitude. Let’s face it there are people who are 50 who look and act 80. Congratulations on the weight loss. Several members here have been finding creative ways for group gatherings/exercise. I am sure you see some great suggestions.

Machka – I am glad you are home. Sorry about the experience and sending positive thoughts healing is quicker than expected.

Barbara – I love my Pyrex bowls too! They were one of the first “sets” I bought myself when I started getting things for “my” kitchen at 19.

Lisa – Oh, little Levi is a charmer!

Barbie – OK, Jake got his Ninja – I think you get to keep the Pyrex. Just sell it to him that he is getting a workout!

Amber – Great news about your daughter. She must feel very free!

Nelly – Love your post-covid hair. You gave me a chuckle about drop kicking someone’s head. Heck, I do not need steroids in order to feel that way! I hear the side effects can be very damning. You’re more than half way through with the doses…….

Well time does fly. I must get back to “work” mode.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Katla49
    Options
    SuziQ: Thanks for your kind comments. :smile: I hope your friend is able to visit and the two of you have a grand time. :flowerforyou:

Katla, NW OR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Feeling very proud that I concocted a meal from the veg at the bottom of the fridge.
    For lunch I made a coleslaw with a bit of old cabbage etc and for dinner I made a stupendous omelette with various veggies. I did blanch the green beans, but otherwise it was just a mixture. I attribute the deliciousness to tarragon I had in the freezer which I whipped up with the eggs. DH was very appreciative. I also roasted an eggplant as a side, which I had marinated in oil and pomegranate molasses and sprinkled with za'atar.
    It's always a great pleasure to make something out of not very much! :D I rarely throw food away. The only thing I don't use up completely is bread. When I can be bothered I do make it into croutons for our fish soup. Then I freeze them.

SuziQ - I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time. And I hope you help her make a good decision. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I bought a small tarragon plant- it needed a bit of loving/half price at the nursery. I have never grown or tried it before but heard of it. I will have to try it in eggs(not a fan of eggs usually and like to cover the taste). I have all other herbs growing in the garden but this is something new for me.
    I have never heard of pomegranate molasses. My parents have a bunch of trees/bushes and never know what to do with all of them- may have to check about how it is made.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Dflk - There are two types of tarragon - Russian, which is hardy but doesn't taste of much, and French, which has a stronger flavour, but doesn't like the cold. I have had it come back in the spring when I thought it was dead. I am now buying packets of the fresh stuff in the supermarket and freezing it. That's OK for cooking.
    Pomegranate molasses is a Middle Eastern ingredient you buy in a bottle and it has a sour/sweet flavour. It's widely available in the UK in supermarkets. It really does give a boost to some veg, like butternut squash soup. I buy mine from Amazon like most of my ingredients.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    7zfui6gbb7pm.jpg
    1g6znyohyaio.jpg

To all you crafty people. I have a little sewing machine purchased only to do very simple tasks, such as sewing a hem. However, on the bottom side, it loops the thread MANY times. Any ideas what it’s doing or how to make it stop and work properly? The front side (that I can see when I’m sewing) looks fine. The underside is this bunched up mess. I just want to hem my very lightweight curtain panels. Do I just need to get a real sewing machine or take it somewhere? I rarely sew anything, so hate to spend the money for a solid machine.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol and Heather There is also this thread - over 4000 posts so far!!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures/p1

>>>

SuziQ Thank you so much for the Bromeliad tutorial. Very helpful. I will do exactly as you suggest and see how we fare.

I wonder if squirrels have been chewing on your wires. If so, the blowout was fortunate. Expensive, but not as expensive as a fire. We have this problem in our attics no matter how diligent we are. Squirrels are quite persistent, driven little creatures.

>>>

Speaking of squirrels, here is a photo of the small rocks the squirrels leave for us in our bird bath every day. The big stones we put in but the small brown rocks are daily gifts we think from squirrels. There are also, of course, some sunflower seed shells and other little detritus from the birdseed.

Not sure why the squirrels deposit them in our bird bath. Sometimes they are on the railing nearby.

ayy2mfry2yqq.jpeg

b8pdy287izbp.jpeg

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Dflk - There are two types of tarragon - Russian, which is hardy but doesn't taste of much, and French, which has a stronger flavour, but doesn't like the cold. I have had it come back in the spring when I thought it was dead. I am now buying packets of the fresh stuff in the supermarket and freezing it. That's OK for cooking.
    Pomegranate molasses is a Middle Eastern ingredient you buy in a bottle and it has a sour/sweet flavour. It's widely available in the UK in supermarkets. It really does give a boost to some veg, like butternut squash soup. I buy mine from Amazon like most of my ingredients.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX

Thank you!!
    This one must be the Russian kind- I didn't notice much of a scent when I planted .
    What else do you use it in besides eggs?
    I looked up the recipe for the pomegranate molasses. I sounds good and very easy to make but think I better try some ready made before taking all the time to make it myself- the recipe I saw calls for 4 cups of juice which would take quite a long time to get that much juice.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Most of my bromeliads are in the ground. It is so tropical here we do not have to worry about temperatures. They like room to spread.
    SuziQ – SFL

One of my dear friends moved up here several years ago from Broward County, Florida. When she lived there, one of her many side hustles was growing bromeliads and selling them. She did quite well with her business.