WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »

Tina - I've been thinking about cutting the cable (or, in our case, the satellite TV). The only thing is, there are some shows I like to watch, especially when I'm on the stationary bike or Nordic Track. I considered switching to a streaming service like Sling but our internet service is so awful I'm not sure it would be reliable. On the other hand, I can usually stream from my desktop computer so the problem may just be weak wireless signal. We could solve that by dropping an ethernet cable to the TV. All of you cable cutters are making me think about it some more because the Dish TV bill is ridiculous!

-Yvonne in TX

Yes, the physical cable is better, especially if you're watching in hi definition. We have 1 TB of data on that plan as well and even watching from 7pm to 10 pm most nights and streaming music all day long, we don't go anywhere near that much data. We also got a hi def antennae and get 30+ channels that way, including our local stations and many from Mexico. That cost us $25. We stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+. If there is a show we can't get through those, it's usually available to purchase for a reasonable fee through Amazon Prime. You can often also see network shows through the stations themselves for a fee.

T
  • sh0tzz99
    Options

Where we are, we can't get good enough internet to cut the cable/satellite cord. A friend who lives in the Bay Area was giving us a hard time for not cutting the cord since we have Apple TV already. He was here for a week (just as lockdown started) and realized that our internet would never stream anything. We can watch Netflix, everything else has to buffer so much you get annoyed and stop watching.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Consider calling your internet service provider and asking what your download speed is. If you can watch Netflix, cutting your cable should work, unless you have some serious internet gamers in your household.

It took us years to cut the cable for fear the mister would have issues streaming. However, now that we've done it, I'm happy about it and it seems to be working for him too.

Tina
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Cable

I pay a fortune every month for tv, internet, and land line. We are in a contract with xFinity for another year. Hope we can make some changes when that is up. We tried ATT, but didn't like that.

Allie ~ Hugs for little Homer

I made an appointment to see an ENT dr tomorrow as the antibiotics the urgent care doc prescribed don't seem to be working. I know I have a deviated septum and am just so tired of my ear always feeling stopped up.

Carol in Ga

We pay a fortune for our tv/internet too- I would be fine cutting back but that is something husband will never consider. We have a tv in just about every room- the only ones that don't(and for a while he was seriously considering it in his)is the bathrooms. He has one in the kitchen and one in the garage along with one in the living room, son's bedroom, our bedroom and his room- The tv is turned on as soon as he gets up- even has it on in the bedroom while in the bathroom(can't hear it over the fan so no real reason to keep it on unless he wants to go back and watch the parts he missed). The last thing turned off for him is the tv. I enjoy not having one on so I keep it off in the living room most of the time.(we are not in the same room very often :( ). The tv is turned on as soon as he walks in a room, no matter what room it is. He even likes to have it on when he is sleeping- me, I want it dark and totally quiet when I sleep. We have Direct TV and some other antenna. Netflix is hooked up on all the tv's now. I have no idea how much we are paying for all of it. He just added Hallmark package- only another $5 a month and now can record them- when it was free for the past few months we couldn't record them and were staying up way too late watching The Waltons ;) . Internet has to be the best/fastest also for him

update-
    I was curious after posting so checked the check book- ATT bill is $171 a month. Not sure if that is everything combined or not- he takes care of all the bills now
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    =====================================
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, those bills! I've noticed, in the long time I've been on here, that most utilities and bills are more expensive in the US. Apart from gas for the car. Your house prices are very low compared to ours, though it is regional, like ours. Someone was talking about house insurance the other day. :open_mouth:
    I definitely couldn't afford to live in the USA.
    Our biggest bill of all is Council Tax. A local tax. Every February and March we get a holiday from it. Red letter months!!!

Our Zoom was just two of us as my difficult friend went on a shopping expedition. Grrrr!
    My Portsmouth friend is visiting next Tuesday for a garden lunch and a seaside stroll. I will cook. DH will be out with his cricket friend for a walk and a pub garden lunch.
    Tomorrow we are seeing the grandkids. Oh my heart!
    Much love to all, Heather UK XXXXXX

• sh0tzz99
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

update-
    I was curious after posting so checked the check book- ATT bill is $171 a month. Not sure if that is everything combined or not- he takes care of all the bills now

I bet it doesn't include Netflix or any other streaming service. Doesn't include Amazon Prime either, if you have that.

It truly is out of control what we pay for cable and internet and it's going to continue to go up. Our mobile phone prices are too high too.

Water is cheap in comparison to electricity. That's why it's so easily wasted. Natural gas is cheap too.

Tina
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies
    Homer made it through with 2 teeth extractions but his lower jaw is deteriorating from periodontal disease... not much we can do about that..
    Looked in Alfies mourh and he has some tartar build up on his canines so made an appt for getting his teeth cleaned and a lyme booster.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

Where we are, we can't get good enough internet to cut the cable/satellite cord. A friend who lives in the Bay Area was giving us a hard time for not cutting the cord since we have Apple TV already. He was here for a week (just as lockdown started) and realized that our internet would never stream anything. We can watch Netflix, everything else has to buffer so much you get annoyed and stop watching.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Consider calling your internet service provider and asking what your download speed is. If you can watch Netflix, cutting your cable should work, unless you have some serious internet gamers in your household.

It took us years to cut the cable for fear the mister would have issues streaming. However, now that we've done it, I'm happy about it and it seems to be working for him too.

Tina

I wish it would work. Fast enough service doesn’t exist out where we are. Netflix is delivered differently than many others so it doesn’t use as much bandwidth. Amazon Prime, on demand, etc buffer constantly.

Okie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

update-

I bet it doesn't include Netflix or any other streaming service. Doesn't include Amazon Prime either, if you have that.

It truly is out of control what we pay for cable and internet and it's going to continue to go up. Our mobile phone prices are too high too.

Water is cheap in comparison to electricity. That's why it's so easily wasted. Natural gas is cheap too.

Tina

Tina, I am sure you are right- yes, he has all of those. And thinking about adding Disney too.Also has CrunchyRoll.
    We have solar and he wants to get a generator- when we had the fires last Oct, I was sheltered in place in Cazadero and he was home- no power for almost a week- he went out and got a price quote of a built in one. I figured he would have bought a gas one before I got home but never thought he would go with the built in one. Only reason he didn't go through with it was couldn't find anyone to put it in. I understand , with rolling black outs, having a gas one but don't really think he needs to pay over $6000 for one(not including having it put in). He doesn't care how much things cost for the most part, just wants what he wants- he is the spender in the family- I am the saver, always have been. I save more than he knows too- have money put a side, just in case. Started doing that with previous husband when he kept quitting jobs. I don't have that problem with current one but other issues so need to cover MY butt, just in case.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Tracey in Edmonton, i have to be BERY careful when accepting video calls. Living at a nudist resort here in the Seattle area, the clothes come off post haste as soon as I get home!

Machka, my husband also had almost no sense of taste or smell until he had the same operation you had. At least for the last 10 years of his life, he could wake up and smell the roses - if we had any in the house. He wasn’t very good at identifying flowers. There were roses, daffodils, tulips and California poppies in his world and not much else. Oh! There was “that little blue things”, and “you know - that one with thorns”.

Sharon, naked, Near Seattle/b]
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️❤️🙂💚
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I’m having computer issues so only able to post via my phone. Microsoft wants me to pay for an upgrade. Last time around my son helped me. I’ve sent him a message asking for guidance.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Jean worked late ,im home and beat..back at it tomorrow..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I still can't use my word document, but I can post here. Yay!!! Microsoft wants me to update. I'll talk that over with DS. We share an account, and he will know what to do about it. I am reluctant to send them a chunk of money . Color me thrifty. :devil:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,387 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Barbara – if you’ve never made meringues before, don’t let ANY egg yolk into the whites. What I do is separate each egg into a dish. Then, when I know none of the egg yolk got in the white, I then put the white in the bowl that I’m going to beat it in.

Just came in from the pool where the water is 90

Rita – I would never have thought of a nude wedding. You’re right – very memorable

I may be early or late for National Give Something Day. Every Friday I volunteer at the soup kitchen.

I guess you could say that Vince is the spender, I’m the saver. He will spend on what he really wants. Like we got those stimulus checks. His went towards a new TV for himself (I very rarely watch it, actually, I don’t think I ever have). Mine is going towards landscaping. If it were up to me, I’d be saving and saving to be able to do more landscaping. But there’s just so much I can do. He’ll spend money on things – a hundred here, a hundred there. But when it comes to the thousands, he’s not real keen on spending the money – unless it’s for something that he really wants.

Beth – why don’t you want a new/young landscaper to remove trees and stumps? I can understand about trenching.

We went thru the things of Jess’ that Vince took out. He threw some of the papers away. Admitted, most of them she didn’t want/need. But I had to point out her baby shoes, does she want them? I’m not going to make that call. Probably not, but you never know. He unwrapped some things that she just didn’t want in storage because of the heat. So he had to put a note on the outside of the box “things Jess wrapped that would melt in the heat”. Really? Ceramics? He said “now there’s no question as to what’s in the box”. If it were me in a couple of years, I would think it was candles or something like that. But oh well….

Michele NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    TV/Internet/Phone ... We have Verizon Wireless and Verizon FIOS. The wireless, of course, are our cell phones and they're pricey ... 3 phones, 2 iPads ... $220.00. We carry way too much data on the phones. Then the FIOS is the internet, cable and landline. I need a landline for captioned calls. Calls come in on the landline, but the transcription carries through on the FIOS ... complicated, but it "works." Kind of. On good days. For TV we have have everything but premium movie channels, 1TB of internet capacity, and the landline ... $250.00. I really think we're going to have to refigure all of this stuff when husband retires in February.

Today we called someone about getting a new pool cover. Tired of the big sloppy cover that falls in the pool every year. Not to mention we can't physically handle the cover anymore. So getting one of those safety covers that you see with the elephant standing in the middle of it ... a Loop-loc.

Also called a more experienced landscaper/excavator (no more of the new/young landscapers) to quote a price for removing stumps, bringing in dirt/seed to level the landscape and trench a new gas line for the pool heater. He probably won't get to things until fall, but that's ok.

We just need to get a lot of projects done that we've put off for years before retiring.

Diet has been a train wreck. I can't really say what my funk is, but I am in a funk. I do think I'm getting tired of working and talking about husband's retirement has me thinking about when I can retire. Husband supports me leaving today if I want to, but there are other things I want to accomplish with the house before I reduce our income even further ... so we'll see.

I had really hoped to go to my niece's wedding in Ohio in 10 days. Living in NY, our governor has put Ohio on a travel advisory ... so if we go we get quarantined for 14 days upon returning. My niece's county is one of the hot spots. Arghh. Odds are we are going to disappoint my niece.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth, I am nearly 66. For me, having some discretionary income is quite desirable at this stage of my life. It gives me peace of mind. I wish you could find something like I am doing - working 14 hours a week from home, bringing in just enough income to provide a cushion.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Karen sent you a message about milkweed.

Margaret I did not get the message, so I sent you one to reply to. Be sure to scroll down to hit "Send"!