WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,731 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that shared your thoughts on the little boy. I will talk with my daughter. She had told me yesterday that his older brother is very well behaved and I hadn’t thought much of it honestly.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... thank you for the July thread!

Allie ... you've talked about this area in FL before. I hope that if it's meant to be, all the details work out for you.

Lisa ... so sorry you had to suffer such harsh consequences for eating sugar ...

Photos ... I love all of them!

Amber and Rebecca ... hope that your children are both feeling well soon. My niece is recovering from her suspected case of covid.

I did not meet my goal for June of being lighter at the end of the month. Other than a temporary 10 pound drop in April, my weight isn't budging. July's goal will be to stop pushing the limits of IF (ie., eating way way too much during my window) and get moving more.

Getting lots done outside and my muscles are not happy. Started using my battery operated weed-whacker again, now that younger son has left. Never more relieved than when the battery dies! :D Done for the day!

This weekend and the week ahead are supposed to be very hot. Our pool heater is not operational at this time (leaking gas line that we've shut down until husband can trench in a new one), but the water is definitely heating up. I hope to get into the pool this weekend ... first time in several years. :o

Beth near Buffalo

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    So here is the scoop...
    I have always loved Sanibel Island it is off the coast of Ft Meyers/Ft Meyers Beach .. it is a haven for birds at the Ding Darling Wildlife refuge...
    I would be renting not owning and would be in a either in a 650 sq ft or 500 sq ft with 150 deck..walking distance to everything and almost the backyard is the bay ... i might fly down for a long weekend and check it out and see how it would work...and I can have Alfie with me..

How did this opportunity come up, Allie? Sounds exciting.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Sharon aka Trucker: I’m an unwanted advice giver all too often. It runs in my famliy. I’m working hard to keep my advice to myself unless I am asked. It isn’t easy. :noway:

Barbie: Thanks for the reminder. :star:

Cheri: The hives must have been beyond uncomfortable. You look so much more comfortable now that you’ve been healing. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Had dinner and then felt really bad. Vertigo and my stomach hurt. Laid down, took a shower and now I’m much, much better. While I was in the shower, got a bought of diarrhea so had to hurry up and get out of there. But now I’m better. Funny, huh? When the vertigo hit, the first thing I thought of was “I hope this isn’t an indication that the tumor has grown” But, fortunately, it doesn’t look like it

Ginny OH – so sorry about dil, but glad that’s it’s just a mild case.

No plans for the holiday. Jess said that she’d be going to VA, I was thinking that maybe Colby would come down here. Oh well…. We’ll probably clean the filter cartridges Saturday since it’s supposed to be real warm

Margaret – how wonderful for you! Looking forward to seeing a pic of Drew Barrymore.

Will brush my teeth and then go to bed. I’m feeling so much better but want to feel even better.

Michele NC
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    hi everyone,
    Thanks Barbie for starting us off!
    posted on July 1 in June month. whoops! how are you?
    Lots going on here. Working in 3 schools. The schedules had been the same for years.
    In 1 school they have prepared us for a change in schedule for years, and negotiated and we had a decent proposal.
    In another they were very opaque and dishonest and just through us in front of change of schedule while saying they were doing the opposite. They have only given us part of the information needed.
    In the third it's a bit between the 2. They have a change in schedule and are somewhat opaque.
    It's stressful and time-consuming.

First meeting live yesterday. Seminar in amphitheatre rather than in big room so we could easily have a row and a seat between us. It was so so. Because the room was big we needed microphones and people using microphones had to use masks, so it was less easy to hear them. There were about 25 people in front of us on a big screen on zoom. That was surreal. when I first arrived in the amphitheatre there were about 3 of us in the physical space and one of the 16 people said "congratulations Julie!" (for my qualification in may) but I didn't know who had said it and didn't want to look at a wall of faces to ask who had said x.
    we had some tech issues. Sometimes the people on zoom could hear and not the people in the room, or visa versa, and the projection screen went off one time. It was very funny because it said "the projector is going to go off in 60 seconds" countdown. The main person on zoom was giving an explanation and 2 or 3 people in the room were trying to find a way to not have the projector cut off. but unsuccessfully. So we all watched this countdown as the person kept speaking. It was only off for about 1 minute. But there were a few tech things like that.
    However many of us went for a drink afterwards and that was much more fun.
    I got a few more signatures for our petition concerning conditions for teachers.

Julie, Paris, France

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: not getting mad when Joe wanted to rest instead of taking us to the beach.
    Bonus: 15 mins click training Shadow down to power pole, 15 mins click training Tumble in garage and around parking area, 55 min stroll with Denise, 51 mins picking up branches and sticks, grant progress.
    Get to do: T’ai Chi, meet accountant at firehall, sign Denise’s petition, line dancing at the port, call about fireworks boat trip, invest 30 mins cleaning Bedrooms, carry over cleaning mins: 14 mins cleaning Dining Room, 18 Guest Bth, 18 mins Master Bath, 10 Living Rm, 10 Office; BB&B video,call PC guy about mic/speaker, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant pineapples, bean, melons, cukes; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Jumpback July 2 looking forward to: stroll with Denise, another beach walk with Joe, fireworks boat trip?, drive to Agness, more energy/less pain in walking and dancing.

So I made the effort to be ready to go to the beach by 5:45, but Joe was pooped from yesterday’s yard work and preferred to rest. Was a little disappointed. Then, Aha! I can spend time with each dog separately. Started with Shadow, walked her down to the power pole, click/treating every time she walked quietly in heel position (no leash). Jumping, nosing pocket=no treat. She caught on quickly and I got the bonus of my daily up hill. Returned Shadow to the house and got Tumble out. Tumble is half the height of Shadow and not so easy to put treats directly into mouth so tried in the garage where I could drop treats on the floor. Was hard for her to find the treats, and she kept looking to me for them. I WANT her to look to me so I changed and bent over to treat her in the mouth. Clicked/treated every time in good heel position. Even stepped out to the graveled parking area where she wandered away, but when she returned to heel, BONANZA! Thank you so much Michele for the reminder. This was fun.

Then I got great news, the fire district’s COVID-19 expense reimbursement application was approved for $3800. Lisa I cannot thank you enough. Without hearing about your grant work it would never have occurred to me to try, and now we’re 2 for 2, total $8800! Not a lot by most organization’s standards but to our small rural fire protection district, it makes a HUGE difference.

Katla yes the ill effects of the unwise breakfast have passed. ;) I’m hoping that at my follow up appointment Dr. will use a manual cuff and the reading will come back down to the 130s or 120s. Will do my part by minimizing salt and increasing activity ‘til then. Thanks for the “boys Tevas” hint, reminds me of the boy’s hiking boots I bought long ago and half the price of women’s and lasted for years. Here’s Joe’s Melitta filter, duct tape reinforced mask. :smirk:
    Machka so glad no infection, hope the ER wasn’t too upsetting for your DH and they were able to give him immediate relief.
    Lisa see my current walking shoe on that page, they’ve lasted a long time and been truly waterproof. Thanks, will check out the other styles. :cry: for your :sick: episode, 6 hours is way too long of a punishment. What you said to Machka about serving sizes per container. A real eye opener when I first started reading food labels. Gorgeous glads. Thought your “hollyhock” was a Rose of Sharon tree https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/Rose_of_sharon.JPG/1200px-Rose_of_sharon.JPG but bow to Heather and Kim.
    Heather what Karen in VA said about your writing and your mood. Glad you’ll get out for a run and RL meeting with the grands. One step, one breath at a time.
    Karen in VA Joe has, not a cuff, but a wrist wrap thingy. I’ll try that and log. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Michele in NC I don’t know for sure, but strongly suspect a lifetime of poor choices is leading me to true high blood pressure. Is it possible something you ate made you so very sick so very quickly?
    Carla in MN share a pic of the grands in the swinging saucer, ok?
    Rita whew for the A/C and Bravissima for all your 20 for 20 accomplishments.
    Tina that sounds perfectly awful! Hope you can find a way to sleep, body needs it to heal. Considered an MD, PT or Chiro?
    Rebecca so very sorry your son had to go in when sick. Wish the Navy would have said “Stay home! We can email you the form to sign.”
    Amber think its ridiculous that the Navy can't figure out how to get food to your daughter in quarantine.
    Cheri I’ve always asked for paper tape as the regular adhesive gives me red rash with tiny blisters. Sorry your healthcare workers acted like you were crazy. They should know better, or at least listen then research before dismissing your observations.
    Debbie in Napa and Lisa and Cheri scars for steristrips? So very very sorry to hear it.
    Sue in WA thanks for the bear paw suggestion, I see they have some “youth” sizes… hmm.
    Ginny what is the blood plasma treatment that saved your co-worker from a ventilator?
    Margaret congratulations! Drew Barry is one lucky pup!

Welcome @auntachelle Michelle in MN, @dawkson2017 from Melbourne!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: better than June.
    daily: steps>5491=5738 yesterday, 8864 today vits=2 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=3 mfp=2 clean 10 mins=0 outside=3 up hill=3
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=1 rx= dance=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=1 play= sew=
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started July by oversleeping! But I will make up the aerobics in an hour or so and tomorrow is a new day!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    no workout yesterday, had to drive.

I counted 22 showings for today. I haven't added up how many for sat, or Sunday yet. the realtor was texting me the moment our house was live and listed online and as she was typing, she said, OH MY GOD, u already got a showing request and it came on my phone. I had to decline ones that were requesting to show as 6pm onward. they are showing in 1/2 increments. I have to b out of here with yogi by 8:15. Kirby won't b able to come home, I'll have to pick him up. I am taking a change of clothing for him so he doesn't have to stay in his riding gear when I pick him up.

when we were taking the pics, she was telling me she knew a realtor friend had 13 showings one day and 8 the next. well this blew that one out of the water. she said she was going to put a restriction when she got home (so I won't get a showing request) from 6pm onward. she says she has no doubt that we should have a confirmed deal by Monday evening. if you wanna go see the house on Redfin, just put in our address, 1709 south 41st st. tacoma.

I will be homeless today. after I'm done hanging out with yogi, I may drop him off at the sitters so they can keep him for the weekend. Kirby is lucky, he works all weekend. since I have all day, I am going to take my bike tire to the shop to get fixed. Kirby said, go get your hair done, colored or cut if you want. we'll c, my hair has grown crazy long since last year. I am missing my hair (like the profile pic).

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well didnt sleep great last night to much running through my head...
    Flea- was on a Facebook group about Sanibel and said would love to find a place that a normal person could afford that would take a small dog.. there is a park there that you can buy in but the lot lease is between 7-9000.00 a year and no animals aloud..
    So this guy messages me and told me has a couple places...so of course I googled him and he is legit...
    Soooo there is alot to think about....and hense not sleeping..
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    btxp9iuekfvo.png

Barbie ~ Thanks so much for this! My husband and I have gotten into so many arguments/fusses lately due to me trying to give him my advice on this, that, and the other.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Barbara - we've had plenty of greenhouse woes. Ours started out 10 years ago as a "Jiffy" type greenhouse - covered with green plastic that lasted a season. The guy we bought it from built a 2x4 frame and white pipe to replace the flimsy metal structure. Then we ripped the green plastic off and covered it with heavy duty construction plastic that we had to replace every couple years and DH framed in windows.

Last year DH felt good enough to replace the construction plastic which was by now shattered again from being in the sun all day, and we covered the whole thing with green shade cloth to keep it a little cooler. I noticed this spring, the plastic under the shade cloth is again deteriorating, BUT the shade cloth is holding it together. So it leaks. Looks crappy, but it still holds some heat. I'm good with that.

Gripe about hives and allergies after surgery... :s

Machka, Cheri, Lisa
    ... all of you with hives and allergies due to surgical glue/tape/steri strips. My sympathies! I owe Karen in VA here a lunch after my experience last year with not only allergy to the solution they swabbed my belly with, but the tape they used to secure the drape for my hernia surgery. The hives and itching were horrible. Karen suggested using 2 anti-histamines together, I think I used Benadryl and Zantac which was still on the market, plus slathering on eczema cream which gave me some relief.

I never thought about going to my family doctor about it - come to find out, she could have tried giving me a Kenolog shot. When I had gallbladder surgery 8 years ago, I had allergies and hives due to surgical glue used at the incisions sites. Last year's was many, many times worse. And I had warned them during the pre-op consult that I had allergies. The little hernia above my belly button has been replaced with equally painful scar tissue.

On that cheery note, enough griping and I'm glad it's over. :)

Margaret - can't wait to see a photo of Drew Barry! Bet she's cute and what a neat size.

Katla
    - Our local Walmart is a superstore with grocery attached. They had continual problems hiring and keeping cashiers, seems the only ones who showed up for work were 50 and above and many of them just wanted part-time. There were always long lines and the poor cashiers bore the brunt of angry customers who complained. So when the self-checkouts came on board, customers and cashiers were both relieved.

Knock wood, the noise from fireworks in our neighborhood seems subdued so far. Last year our county commissioners got started on an ordinance to minimize the number of days they could be set off from a week it seems to a few days. The prosecutor stepped in and muddied it up, lol. Seems it was pushed to the side. I contacted my commissioner, told her it's a campaign issue (she's running for re-election) and she's going to light a fire under it again.

Yesterday I saw 2 spotted fawns in the front yard.... mommy was in the back yard! I ran out and doused the garden with Liquid Fence (smells like rotten eggs).

I'll leave you with a photo of colored phlox I started last year. Supposedly an annual, they made it over the winter and are flourishing! Plus they make great cut flowers - I've had some in a vase for a week and they still look great. Hoping they keep thriving and crowding out the weeds, lol.

vlye3ut5w4tu.jpg

Make it a fabulous day <3

Lanette
    Cool & cloudy SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌻🌺🌸
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) Looking back through my life, I've experienced hurricane, typhoon, snow, ice, flood, road closure, power outage, water outage, no car, no money, curfew, bad smoke from fires, and maybe a few other things. I've had practice staying home, doing without, deciding what was "essential", entertaining myself, making do with what I have, making substitutions, so with the current situation, it has been simple to stay home and get out only for the essentials and to tell the difference between what is essential and what is just stuff I think I want. In the last month I went to the grocery store, post office, and pharmacy one time each. Jake got a haircut and went to a medical appointment that had been changed to local so he wouldn't have to go to Seattle.

:| I didn't hear the fireworks last night, but Bessie did and she left her bed by the window and came to sleep on the carpet next to my side of the bed. She and I were both able to go back to sleep after I settled her with some blankets.

:)Margaret, congrats on your new dog.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• pipcd34
    Options