Doctor wants me to try low fat plant based diet. Very difficult, need resources.

Options

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall is probably the leading expert when it comes to low fat veganism. He has decades of research on low fat.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/

<3:)
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Much of this discussion is way out of perspective. Anyone who tells me bacon is healthier than a banana... really?
    First, If someone is a diabetic they need to figure out the foods that induce spikes. It could be that banana, it could be bacon. Often times the weight loss from a reduction of calories is the contributing factor. Not specifically just diet.
    I highly doubt having a few slices of mango, berries or banana on occasion will cause diabetes. I also do not think having a processed sweet or even fried meat once in a blue moon will pose a threat. Lets be real here. Moderation, less intake, proper balance and activity is health promoting. Keto is not meant for long term. Low carb is fine, low fat ifs fine if it is making you healthier.
    Eat less, move more, be happy and base your diet on whole foods. It is not rocket science.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Dr. McDougall is probably the leading expert when it comes to low fat veganism. He has decades of research on low fat.
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Dr. McDougall was our family's physician in Hawaii decades ago before the headed to No. Calif. I still have a 1979 cookbook he gave me, he was very into sharing his information with his patients (for those who wanted it). Barley Soup, chili, Vegie Salad Dressing.... that sort of thing. I think they were actually his wife's Mary's recipes.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    But you said:

"carbs -> insulin -> obesity -> fatty liver -> insulin resistsnce -> T2D -> horrible complications -> early death

The Mediterrean diet has 50% carbs. Vegan diets 60% carbs. Follow these diets and you will get progressively sicker and die young"

Funny how people who on average live longer than the rest of the world eat carbs which you declare will make you get progressively sicker and die young. Apparently they don't

Wrong. I am vegan and my diet was less than 30 on average for a long time until recently on some days I feel that my body wants more carbs. I have had periods where my macros were both high fat and high proteins

I was quoting that dude. I don't have any issues with vegans at all
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    The GP sounds like a chiropractor or food life coach.

If you'd expressed "Everyone is different. I do take issue with my GP thinking there is a one size fits all diet that will fix everybody. Endocrinologist says "veganism works for some diabetics... but not you." Reason is the lazy time delay pancreas"...

from the get-go it would've cleared many areas up.
  • VegjoyP
    edited May 2021
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Much of this discussion is way out of perspective. Anyone who tells me bacon is healthier than a banana... really?
    First, If someone is a diabetic they need to figure out the foods that induce spikes. It could be that banana, it could be bacon. Often times the weight loss from a reduction of calories is the contributing factor. Not specifically just diet.
    I highly doubt having a few slices of mango, berries or banana on occasion will cause diabetes. I also do not think having a processed sweet or even fried meat once in a blue moon will pose a threat. Lets be real here. Moderation, less intake, proper balance and activity is health promoting. Keto is not meant for long term. Low carb is fine, low fat ifs fine if it is making you healthier.
    Eat less, move more, be happy and base your diet on whole foods. It is not rocket science.

First, why would you compare a banana to bacon? If anyone was going to make a pedantic argument of animal based verse plant based foods, they would argue a steak or fish vs a banana. Why? Both are whole food sources. Second, bacon isn't causing insulin to spike. Bacon is almost all fat. Fat doesn't really cause an insulin spike. A banana would. Its pretty high in carbs.So if you are going to try to make an argument, use something realistic.

And show me the data on keto not being good long term. I'd love to see it.

Overall, i agree with what you are saying, but you're semantics are off.

Ok banana to bacon may have been wrong articulation on my point. I have had custmers say things very much like that I just get fustrated because I work in a health food store and the misinformation is horrible to watch
    I would be happy to get science on keto long term possible side affects. I'm at wrk so hold on til tonight😉
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I am an ER PA and work with a lot of cardiologists. They all promote a plant based diet. Most are vegetarian. I have a lot of diabetic patients come to the ER too so have experience with this. Aside, I have been to Greece and Costa Rica and always lost weight on vacations there. The food was very healthy. I’m not diabetic but do think the Mediterranean diet in general is a good model for most people to follow if they are trying to improve their health.

I’m not saying that everyone needs to give up meat but the typical American diet has way too much meat in it, too large of portions, too much unhealthy fat, and too much refined carbs. Most people would do well to eat more of a whole food plant based diet, with some lean meats in it if they want to.

Diabetics don’t need to be on a low carb diet. The type of carbs eaten are important though. I have known people who essentially reversed their type 2 diabetes through vegan diet and weight loss.
  • VegjoyP
    Options

First, why would you compare a banana to bacon? If anyone was going to make a pedantic argument of animal based verse plant based foods, they would argue a steak or fish vs a banana. Why? Both are whole food sources. Second, bacon isn't causing insulin to spike. Bacon is almost all fat. Fat doesn't really cause an insulin spike. A banana would. Its pretty high in carbs.So if you are going to try to make an argument, use something realistic.

And show me the data on keto not being good long term. I'd love to see it.

Overall, i agree with what you are saying, but you're semantics are off.

Ok banana to bacon may have been wrong articulation on my point. I have had custmers say things very much like that I just get fustrated because I work in a health food store and the misinformation is horrible to watch
    I would be happy to get science on keto long term possible side affects. I'm at wrk so hold on til tonight😉

I'll hold. I will be interested in any data because i have yet to see a study on the data. Also, i think people over generalizate what Keto can or cannot be. Just like vegan, there is a huge variation on how to implement it. When i am Keto, i eat avocado almost daily, low gi berries, lean meats, fatty fish, and low fat dairy. I add fats thru whole eggs, nuts, seeds and avocado oil. I rarely eat processed meats. Most of my meats are black angus or grass fed.

You are wiser tan general public and it is refreshing to have civil exchange on MFP 👏👏 There is a distinction between plant based and vegan- both vary extensively! It is unfortunate some give the whole vegan community in a certain catigory-