Do any of you have "free" foods that you don't add in your calorie count?

Options
I'm thinking of compiling a list of food that is so low in calories and high in fiber that I will allow myself to eat as much of them as possible and not record them, like Weight Watchers' zero point food list. Has anyone else tried this? How did it work and what foods were on your list?

Replies

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of compiling a list of food that is so low in calories and high in fiber that I will allow myself to eat as much of them as possible and not record them, like Weight Watchers' zero point food list. Has anyone else tried this? How did it work and what foods were on your list?

Something to keep in mind is that WW points are lowered so that people can have the "free" points. If you are going to have some freebies that you don't want to log, you may need to lower your calorie amounts.

I don't log: gum, hot sauce, spices. I eyeball ketchup. That's about it for me.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    cherry tomatoes?
  • jclement2
    jclement2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not so much the calories, it's the sugar of any type and the carbs. Carbs turns to sugar in the body and that turns into fat. Eliminate all sugars including the fake ones, limit your carbs to under 50 grams and less if you can stand it. So no sugars, no grains of any type, (no bread, pasta, bagels, you get the picture) no potatoes. I eat lots of eggs, steak, pork, chicken, and salads with lime juice and olive oil. Also use only Extra virgin olive oil, butter or avocado oil and drink lots of water.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I count most calories but do not bother with the likes of margarine. Yes I know it is fat but I cannot be bothered with estimating the thin scrape that I put on the Ryvitas!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don’t log vitamins, etc. I don’t log 4 almonds a day. I don’t log seasoning except in recipes.
    I set my calorie goal for 50 less per day so I don’t have to log these things.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't add rocket, garlic/onions/vegetable base in home made sauces. Nor the bit of oat milk in the few small cups of coffee I have. I'm always under my calorie goal anyway.

I don't really like the idea of WW's free foods though - all food has a calorie and nutrient content, and I want to learn about what I eat whilst losing weight. The first time I weighed my mayo I had a nasty shock! (not saying that anyone's free food is mayo of course). Personally for me, the concept of free foods wouldn't help me stay under my goal.
  • _canadianbakin_
    _canadianbakin_ Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't count bananas or milk. I did not get fat eating these things.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Kabocha Squash is a great value @ around 49 calories per cup (245grams) or less. I rarely weigh it and eat it as often as possible.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I log everything except my gummy vitamins. :D
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't usually log celery but eat it often. I'm not real accurate with most veggies.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use a generic ‘garden salad without dressing’ to log raw vegetables regardless of the vegetable.