Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,420 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Outdoors? At a place where no one comes within 20 feet of him? Nahhhh it's for himself and his own fear. And if he honestly believes there's a chance he has the virus and could spread it to others... maybe don't spend every evening hanging out at the dog park?

You know I never met the guy and it is wrong of me to assume his intent. He could very well be under that false sense of security that the mask is keeping himself safe. Either way, what he is doing is making it a safer place for you and others.

Because I try real hard to find silver linings, I'd like to believe maybe he just understands the concept of source control, being asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, and that the very least a person can do on this earth right now is to wear a mask to protect their neighbor. It don't get much simpler than that.

I hope your passion for protecting others extends to all diseases and won't go away once coronavirus is no longer the flavor of the month. If you wear your mask for the rest of your life, maybe we'll eventually have a society completely free from illness!

I actually think it will be interesting to see if there is a long term effect on the American (and I guess other western cultures?) attitude on mask wearing. I know in Asian cultures it is already pretty normalized, and prior to COVID people would wear masks if they thought they felt unwell and were around others.

Saying it could eliminate all disease is a huge stretch, but it's not such a bad practice to continue and probably help minimize cold and flu transmission each year.

And reduce natural immunity to illnesses? No problem personally wearing a mask when mandated (where I live that includes any indoor public place and outdoors where can't social distance) but feel constant mask wearing long term will reduce immunity.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Outdoors? At a place where no one comes within 20 feet of him? Nahhhh it's for himself and his own fear. And if he honestly believes there's a chance he has the virus and could spread it to others... maybe don't spend every evening hanging out at the dog park?

You know I never met the guy and it is wrong of me to assume his intent. He could very well be under that false sense of security that the mask is keeping himself safe. Either way, what he is doing is making it a safer place for you and others.

Because I try real hard to find silver linings, I'd like to believe maybe he just understands the concept of source control, being asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, and that the very least a person can do on this earth right now is to wear a mask to protect their neighbor. It don't get much simpler than that.

I hope your passion for protecting others extends to all diseases and won't go away once coronavirus is no longer the flavor of the month. If you wear your mask for the rest of your life, maybe we'll eventually have a society completely free from illness!

I actually think it will be interesting to see if there is a long term effect on the American (and I guess other western cultures?) attitude on mask wearing. I know in Asian cultures it is already pretty normalized, and prior to COVID people would wear masks if they thought they felt unwell and were around others.

Saying it could eliminate all disease is a huge stretch, but it's not such a bad practice to continue and probably help minimize cold and flu transmission each year.

And reduce natural immunity to illnesses? No problem personally wearing a mask when mandated (where I live that includes any indoor public place and outdoors where can't social distance) but feel constant mask wearing long term will reduce immunity.

Sorry if I was unclear, I don't mean constant. But if you know you have a cold or what not.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Will you continue to wear your mask every year during flu season (which also kills hundreds of thousands of people each year), or do you only feel obligated to protect them from the "special" diseases?

edited by a MFP moderator

It doesn't, actually. You might want to check your numbers.

I wear gloves outdoors to walk my dogs too :D I'm under no illusion that they protect me from Covid, they're to protect my hands from UV exposure. After the bad press chemical sunscreens got last year, I started using UPF clothing instead. But they also do a dandy job of protecting my hands from leash burn if one of the little darlings decides to go off-piste.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    JimDew wrote: »
    This isn’t aimed at anyone that has posted here. In any way.

This whole mask thing ticks me off. I’m American. Conservative. Male. Highly believe in my rights as being given to me by god and not any government

PUT ON THE DAMN MASK.

Yes we wish we didn’t need them. Yes it sucks.

I just wish people would respect their fellow humans and do this tiny thing to help protect each other.

If you have a medical problem, or a bona fide reason not to wear one, I’m good with it.

To Everyone who walks around not wearing one that should be, you’re an idiot.

To those of you starting physical confrontations over wearing or not wearing them, you’re bigger idiots.

Yes I’m ranting. I’m just saddened by those with so little regard for their fellow man that they can’t wear a mask.

Carry on

I'm just going to give you a hug. I'm sorry you live around people that don't give a *kitten*. I do but I don't need to yet. I'm guessing the time will come here too when I need to so I've ordered masks online. Be very proud you are NOT an idiot ok? The idiots will get what they deserve I think in the end but killing many along the way too.
  • JimDew wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »

This whole mask thing ticks me off. I’m American. Conservative. Male. Highly believe in my rights as being given to me by god and not any government

PUT ON THE DAMN MASK.

I just wish people would respect their fellow humans and do this tiny thing to help protect each other.

If you have a medical problem, or a bona fide reason not to wear one, I’m good with it.

To those of you starting physical confrontations over wearing or not wearing them, you’re bigger idiots.

Yes I’m ranting. I’m just saddened by those with so little regard for their fellow man that they can’t wear a mask.

Carry on

I'm just going to give you a hug. I'm sorry you live around people that don't give a *kitten*. I do but I don't need to yet. I'm guessing the time will come here too when I need to so I've ordered masks online. Be very proud you are NOT an idiot ok? The idiots will get what they deserve I think in the end but killing many along the way too.

Thank you very much! I’m probably spending too much time reading the yahoo home page news and it gets me riled. :)

Ah yeah man you gotta go with fox in one tab, cnn in the other. Once you've read the same but very different story on both pages then check the daily onion. Now you've got the story.
  • mockchoc

PUT ON THE DAMN MASK.

Carry on

Thank you very much! I’m probably spending too much time reading the yahoo home page news and it gets me riled. :)

LOL and me on Twitter too much hahaa.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

PUT ON THE DAMN MASK.

Carry on

@JimDew I whole-heartedly agree with every thing you said. There aren't enough clicks allowed on the agree button.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited August 2020
    I wear a bandana in stores right now because of mandate. Most face masks are worthless anyway except the real N95s....after the mandate is over this month, I will be back to NO mask. And I am definitely not wearing goggles like Fauci now recommends.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Back in mid March I bought some wool and a sewing kit to make some cloth masks. However the lockdown was going so well and my lack of sewing skills meant I never got around to making them. Occasionally I see someone wearing a mask but since it's been months since anyone died here most people don't bother.

Asians are more likely to wear masks by my observations, both this year and previously. At the peak of lockdown about 1/4 of people were wearing masks at the supermarket.

I can relate to your situation - a few new cases but no deaths. We feel really good about that, but still wear masks whenever entering public places.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    freda78 wrote: »
    Lots of people here seem convinced that face coverings will protect them from covid19 - why? I have no idea as it really won't. Where does this delusion come from????

CNN have an interesting piece on this today too.

Lots of people seem convinced masks will protect the patient in the operating room, why? Doctors don't need to wear masks to operate and everyone should demand they don't because it's a delusion.

People die in car accidents despite wearing a seatbelt. We should ban seatbelts because in some cases it makes it hard to get out of the damaged car.

Everyone should sneeze in other people's faces because sneezing into your elbow will not protect others if you're sick.

Hearing protection devices don't filter out all the noise, so they're useless and everyone operating loud machinery should stop wearing them.

Don't wear sunscreen, it won't protect you from sunburn 100%, some people are allergic to it, and many people don't apply it correctly.

Interesting points listed there. My worse vehicle accident was before seatbelts were mandatory, and I would've been in worse condition if I wasn't thrown from the vehicle. Now it is the law so I wear them, even though it goes against my own experience.

So if masks are the law, wear the masks!!

pmxotpv5hzvd.jpg
  • mynameisnobody1990
    mynameisnobody1990 Posts: 71 Member
    Without getting into super detail, let me just say I'm super compromised health wise. However, I consider my community. I wear a mask every time I'm indoors at shops, doctor's offices - anywhere indoors. My family does the same thing and they are more social than I. We feel it's just the proper and respectful thing to do.

There's next to NO social distancing where I live even though it's recommended before one walks into an establishment!

I've had no symptoms thus far. BUT!What if I'm one of the asymptomatic ones?? When I'm at the Doctor's office for my issues, I'm a little surprised people who have the same issues I have - do NOT wear masks. I just shake my head. There's no mandate for them yet here. I'm waiting on that. BIG time.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 207 Member
    Will you continue to wear your mask every year during flu season (which also kills hundreds of thousands of people each year), or do you only feel obligated to protect them from the "special" diseases?

Hundreds of thousands of people do not die every year from the flu.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2020
    hist_doc wrote: »

Hundreds of thousands of people do not die every year from the flu.

Worldwide deaths are certainly in that magnitude so are you talking about just one particular country?

"Influenza remains one of the world’s greatest public health challenges. Every year across the globe, there are an estimated 1 billion cases, of which 3 to 5 million are severe cases, resulting in 290 000 to 650 000 influenza-related respiratory deaths"

Source WHO - https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/11-03-2019-who-launches-new-global-influenza-strategy
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Again, I'll say it. All those signs and mandates are great but what good are they if no one is going to do anything about them when people enter the establishment, ignoring it all?
    You'd think, in a country as intelligent and advanced as America, there'd be a way. :(
  • mockchoc
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Again, I'll say it. All those signs and mandates are great but what good are they if no one is going to do anything about them when people enter the establishment, ignoring it all?
    You'd think, in a country as intelligent and advanced as America, there'd be a way. :(

Shame they can't build just build more jails for those that don't care about killing others.
  • stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Wear a mask when you're with someone you don't live with. Period. I don't wear them in the car with my family, but I do wear them into restaurants. And I don't take them off until the food arrives at the table AND the server left.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Shame they can't build just build more jails for those that don't care about killing others.

Don't give them any ideas. Once the pandemic is over they'd have all this empty jail space, and institutional thinking being what it is, they would just lower the bar even more for incarceration, or criminalize more behavior, just so they could fill them.

If you want jail space for people who won't obey social distancing and masking orders, let out some of the people who are there for non-violent offenses.

But I doubt that will matter. I heard a report on the local TV news this evening of a would-be customer who entered a restaurant without a mask, in violation of a state-wide mandate, and when an employee asked him to put on a mask, he spat on the employee. Police arrived but would not arrest him. The police just told him he couldn't come back to that restaurant for a year (which is really weird -- it seems outside the police powers to unilaterally issue what amounts to a restraining order, as opposed to having a judge do it). That doesn't seem like much of a deterrent for the next person who wants to come along and do his best to infect an employee.
This discussion has been closed.