August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @mbaker566 What you do for the dogs is awesome! I would hate to see them put down too. I wish people would spay and neuter better. It's awful around here. People with male dogs seem to be the worst and still think it is up to the owners of females to take care of the problem. Glad you got to do the race. Speed Demon looks like she really enjoyed both runs. Love the pictures. It looks like a nice place for a run.

@kgirlhart Glad your dad is doing better. If they don't move him, maybe one of the nurses can set up a face time with the family since it's his birthday.

@Teresa502 Love the little boy story. I'm sure he will remember your kindness in listening to him.

@polskagirl01 Hahaha about the kids not remembering your name. That happens to me sometimes if I haven't been in a daycare class for a while. But, then, I'm horrible with names and sometimes have to be reminded of the kids names too. What kind of music classes do you do with them?

@skippygirlsmom Great race report. Sounds like you had a great run. I've thought about doing one of the runs that goes through a cave. Not sure if it is the one you are talking about or not. I think the one I saw was in Northern AL
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I took my dad to the VA this morning for a couple of appointments. I had planned to play tennis at 4pm, but that got cancelled. So, I'm just going to take today as a rest day. I'll try to get a run in tomorrow morning.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Thanks for the race report! Sounds like you managed the course and the hill quiet well!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo yes Northern Alabama would be the one I'm talking about.
    Thanks @Teresa502
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom How is the cavern race going to work with no air circulation? It sounds like the coolest race ever but also potentially dangerous as far as Covid, since it’s essentially running indoors with a bunch of other people and completely still air. Or have they thought about this and figured something out?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Looks like a nice place to run @rheddmobile . And, yes, you are a little bit sweaty. :wink: The spider sounds interesting. Too bad you couldn't get a picture.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Hahaha about the kids not remembering your name. That happens to me sometimes if I haven't been in a daycare class for a while. But, then, I'm horrible with names and sometimes have to be reminded of the kids names too. What kind of music classes do you do with them?
    It's a combination of Classical music, music theory (on a fun kid level of course) and learning English through music.
    It's a bit different with the new precautions, but I think doable as long as things don't get shut down completely. I'll have to wear a face shield at one location, there's a line on the floor between us at the others that the children can't cross (they don't know it's because of the virus, they think it's separating the stage from the audience like at a concert), and everything the kids touch goes in a separate bag and is later disinfected before it goes back with my other materials. I use the hand sanitizer or wash my hands between groups. Masks are required in the areas where parents go (coat/shoe room, hallways). I'm trying to think of a fun way to explain the face shield to the 2-3 year olds, as their all-day teachers don't have to wear them, and it could look scary to a little kid. Maybe a big funny bow or a musical note on top and call it my new music hat. Crazy times.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy
    8-7 7k easy
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 rest
    8-11 7k slow
    8-12 7k easy
    8-13 11k slow
    8-14 7k easy
    8-15 7k slow
    8-16 7k moderate
    8-17 rest
    8-18 7k easy
    8-19 7k easy
    8-20 7k moderate
    8-21 rest
    8-22 7k easy
    8-23 7k between easy and moderate
    8-24 rest
    8-25 7k sleazy (between slow and easy)

August Total: 137k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Clear and 70 F this morning with no wind. Got out before the sun got too far above the horizon. Thought some interesting thoughts, but can't remember any of them now.
    The website says they're going to try to do the Race for the Parks in Hudson as a real race. I'm afraid I won't have the courage to expose myself like that, so I think I'm going to skip it.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    8/2 – 12 miles
    8/4 – 4.38
    8/5 – 11.02
    8/8 – 15.02
    8/9 – 4.01
    8/10 – 4.01
    8/12 – 6.59
    8/13 – 3.26
    8/15 – 15.05
    8/16 – 5.33
    8/18 – 5.01
    8/19 – 4.01
    8/20 – 5.01
    8/22 – 17.05
    8/24 – 5.01
    8/25 – 4.10
    Total – 120.90

My back is still achy so I took it easy this morning. Only saw one person while out and that was the driver of the big yellow school bus that passed me. In my county, school is in session for headstart through 3rd grade. The rest of the kiddos are learning from home.
    s7y38sfbe7vd.jpg
    Sun coming up over the horizon.

@Faebert – I’m never ready to say goodbye to the Summer sunshine! Hope little one heals quickly.

@Polskagirl01 – I like your idea of dressing up the face shield with a big bow!

@tramboman – ha ha on the sleazy run!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 mile trail race
    8/2 - 4 with Skip and Champ
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 6
    8/5 – 5 with Champ
    8/6 – 5
    8/7 – 3 with Champ
    8/8 – 5
    8/9 – 0 drove Skip to college move in
    8/10 – 3
    8/11 – drove home from college move in
    8/12 – 3 with Champ
    8/13 – 0
    8/14 – 5
    8/15 – 10K Scooby Doo Family and Pet Virtual Run
    8/16 – 5 with Champ on trails
    8/17 – 5
    8/18 – 4 with Champ
    8/19 – 5
    8/20 – 5 with Champ in am then 2 with Champ at night
    8/21 – 3
    8/22 – 10K Trail Race
    8/23 – 3 with Champ
    8/24 – 5 with Champ
    8/25 – 4 with Champ

97 of 115 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August – done
    Chupacabra 10K/HM – August 22 - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    Shoot. Had a post all written out and hit the wrong button and it disappeared. I hate it when that happens! :lol:

@skippygirlsmom Now that I see the pictures, I'm really going to have to look into that race. I'm more afraid to stay in a hotel than I am to race, I think. I could probably make the drive in the morning and then drive back home that day. I'll have to see.

@polskagirl01 Sounds like you have wonderful classes and I'll be the kids love it.
    I love the idea of putting a musical note on your face shield and calling it your magic music hat. At the daycare where I sub the teachers are required to wear a face mask all day. I was afraid the kids would be afraid or not know who we were, but they all just go with the flow, even the babies don't seem to mind. I feel bad for them though, mostly because I think it is important for them to see our facial expressions so they can learn those non-verbal clues that are so important later on in life. The older kids understand that we are doing this because of the virus. I just hope it all goes away soon and we can get back to "normal."

@Teresa502 Hope your back feel better. Love the sunrise picture.