August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,334 Member
    @polskagirl01 Your classes sound like fun.
    I like the idea of putting a music note on your face shield and calling it your magic music hat. At the daycare where I sub, the teachers are supposed to wear face masks all day. I was afraid the kids would be scared, or not know who we were, but they have just gone with the flow...even the babies. I feel bad though, simply because I think it is important for the kids to be able to see our facial expressions and our smiles. Hoping this goes away someday and we can get back to "normal."

@Teresa502 Pretty sunrise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,110 Member
    August Goal: 100 Miles

8/2: 10.52 miles
    8/4: 6.40 miles
    8/5: 6.52 miles
    8/6: 6.22 miles
    8/9: 11.02 miles
    8/11: 5.51 miles
    8/12: 6.05 miles
    8/13: 6.02 miles
    8/16: 10.13 miles
    8/17: 6.51 miles
    8/19: 6.62 miles
    8/20: 7.36 miles
    8/23: 11.26 miles
    8/25: 6.52 miles

106.66/100 miles completed for August

922.66/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

Today's run was pretty pleasant. I got out the door about 5:50 and it was about 69°F. It was a little humid, but not stifling humidity. And there were lots of stars out. I managed to keep an average pace of 10:54 which isn't my best, but I try to stay under 11 min/mile and I was happy with it. I felt good after the run too. Lately my feet have been pretty achy. I need to get new shoes. It's frustrating because for the most part I like the shoes I wear (Saucony Ride), but I would really like to have another gait analysis and see about trying something new. I have only had my gait checked once and that was over 2 years ago. But not only is the nearest running store 60 miles away, there is the whole Covid thing and my town doesn't have as many cases as they do so I really don't want to go over there. Oh well. I really do need to just go ahead and order some new shoes.

My dad is doing better today. They have moved him back to a regular room and since he isn't on a Covid floor anymore he can have 1 visitor. Since today is his birthday my sister is going to try to arrange a Zoom birthday party for him. They weren't able to locate the source of his bleeding with the endoscopy, so today they are doing a colonoscopy at 1:00. Not the best way to celebrate your 83rd birthday, but it is what it is. We probably wouldn't have all been able to get together anyway because of covid, so I guess having a video birthday party is better than nothing. My sister said she was going to take him balloons and a small cake.

@Faebert No matter how much I complain about the heat, I always prefer sunshine to cold, dreary rain.

@teresa502 What a beautiful sunrise. I love seeing the sunrise in the morning. But I can never get good pictures. Usually when I can see the sunrise there are too many fences and electric wires blocking the view. It always looks nice in person, but doesn't take a good photo.

@quilteryoyo Tippy does not look impressed at all. And I'll be singing "Country Road, Take me Home" for the rest of the day. I'll try not to sing out loud, but no promises.

@skippygirlsmom I guess I'm weird. I think those caverns look creepy. I don't know if I could run in there. I remember going to Carlsbad Caverns in high school. I thought they were neat, but I was really glad to get out of there and back outside. I don't think I could run a race in a cave.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    @kgirlhart Glad your dad is doing better and hope the zoom party works out. Too bad about having to have a colonoscopy on his birthday, but the actual procedure isn't bad. It's the prep ahead of time that is the pain. Sounds like you had a nice run. BTW, I totally think you should be singing out loud. LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @quilteryoyo honestly most of the hotels in this area are probably empty since the government can't travel, our travelers (those who live out of state and come in to work) haven't been allowed to travel since March. Here's another in November if you wanted to give it more time, that one is more on a trail then into the cavern.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,817 Member
    @kgirlhart – I think you should go ahead and order new shoes that you know and like. I’ve wasted so much money on trying others. Once all this pandemic is over (whenever that will be) you can go to the running store and explore the options. Happy Birthday to your dad!

@quilteryoyo – I love Tippy’s expression! I was afraid the second picture was of you finding a snake inside your garage.

@skippygirlsmom – I running on the rocks in the cavern slippery? I’m guessing it would be damp inside?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @kgirlhart Glad your dad is doing better. There are worse ways of celebrating your birthday than with a colonoscopy; I've learned the best part is the eating after the fast and the subsequent procedure.
  • skippygirlsmom
    @kgirlhart I've been to the Carlsbad Caverns too and I don't think I could run inside there either. Cathedral Caverns is much much smaller. @Teresa502 a few spots can get slippery, in November it was pouring, really pouring out like parts of the course were flooded so it was a bit wet here and here, but again I never slipped.
  • Tramboman
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks @quilteryoyo @teresa502 and @Tramboman I just heard from my sister and the colonoscopy went well. And at least now he can eat birthday cake!

Calorie-free birthday cake!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited August 2020
    @kgirlhart yay for eating birthday cake!!!
    @polskagirl01 that looks beautiful
  • quilteryoyo
    @polskagirl01 Tippy thanks you. Hahaha about the slugs reproducing. I haven't seen that one and not sure I really want to. They're so gross. Glad the weather was nice and that people were able to get out and enjoy it. Great run! Love the picture.

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    08/01-08/24: 28.2
    08/24: 3.1

Looking forward to next month. I may be able to meet my goal this month.

exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    08/01-08/24: 28.2
    08/24: 3.1

Looking forward to next month. I may be able to meet my goal this month.

exercise.png

Yes you can!!!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    @polskagirl01 Tippy thanks you. Hahaha about the slugs reproducing. I haven't seen that one and not sure I really want to. They're so gross. Glad the weather was nice and that people were able to get out and enjoy it. Great run! Love the picture.

The slugs. Basically they huddle up together and make a slimy mess. Try not to step on them. Or think about them while eating.

I'm gonna ride my bike today.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @skippygirlsmom That cavern race sounds so awesome, and it isn’t TERRIBLY far from me, especially if I stay at my parents’ house the night before. That is the weekend I am running my virtual Beat the Blerch half though. I am definitely putting that down as a possibility for next year.

No run last night, but I went to my Pump class. It isn’t supposed to rain today (finally), so hoping i can get in a decent run after work.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,521 Member
    4.25 miles this morning. Nothing good to say, so I won't say anything. Mama taught me well.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    Cute fish @HonuNui .