August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @AlphaHowls You are amazing! I don't know how you do it.

@shanaber I hope they are able to get those fires under control soon! Hugs for the PM issues. Hope they resolve soon or that the doctor can do something about when you have your next follow up. Good for you for keeping on getting out there and getting it done!

@rheddmobile I'm sorry that your nice quiet trail was taken over by so many people today. If it was a bike race, surely that won't happen every Saturday. Soccer on the other hand..... I think it is interesting the sports that are being allowed to be played right now.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Glad you had a good run today. And, thanks for putting our RTY team over the 2020 mile mark!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @teresa502 I’ll write one up tomorrow when I’m at a computer instead of my phone :D
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Camaramandy648 - I think there is a lot of pressure on young women runners to be at low weight/low body fat believing it will make them faster. Mary Cain is a perfect example at an elite level. More and more are speaking out so hopefully things will improve as they realize being healthy is much more important in the long run (pun intended).

I am 5'11" with a 31-inch waist. Some people say I am a bit on the skinny side. AND YET, according to "race weight" calculators, I need to loose TWENTY POUNDS. They claim I will never reach my true speed potential unless I lose it and all that.

So, yeah, I can see that happening. I know better than to believe those calculator, but since they are normally backed by famous runners/coaches, I can see people falling for them.

I think it is tough on kids who don't know better and it starts with HS coaches telling them they need to lose weight to be faster and get those college scholarships, then they get to college and the college coaches are all about them losing weight to run faster and if they manage to make it through all those years and are still running then the elite coaches start in until they just can't do it any longer because they aren't healthy and are injury prone.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00
    8/6 off
    8/7 4.00
    8/8 off
    8/9 2.50
    8/10 snorkel 2 hours
    8/11 3.75
    8/12 off
    8/13 3.00
    8/14 off
    8/15 3.56
    8/16 off
    8/17 4.00
    8/18 2.75
    8/19 off
    8/20 3.20
    8/21 off
    8/22 2.9

Total 39.66

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Headed out early for my long run this morning - since we're back in lockdown, the hordes are out on the footpaths so earlier is better. This has only been exacerbated by stunning weather after a week of rain.

As predicted, my coach upped the intensity on my run this week. It wasn't quite what I expected: 30 minutes aerobic pace, 45 minutes tempo (about marathon pace, ideally), then another 30 at aerobic. I'd had a great week running - fast was easy - and had done lots of yoga, pilates and gardening (squats!) and found today quite hard work - intensity level, or rate of perceived exertion, was good, but my pace was at least 10 seconds slower per kilometre than I wanted.

I think I've pretty much worn myself out. In fact, after lunch, when the rain returned, I returned to bed for a lovely long snooze.

Rest day tomorrow. Yay!

How are you holding up? Can I say from the rest of the kiwis here (lol) thanks for taking one for the team! Hope you can be level 2 tomorrow.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Headed out early for my long run this morning - since we're back in lockdown, the hordes are out on the footpaths so earlier is better. This has only been exacerbated by stunning weather after a week of rain.

As predicted, my coach upped the intensity on my run this week. It wasn't quite what I expected: 30 minutes aerobic pace, 45 minutes tempo (about marathon pace, ideally), then another 30 at aerobic. I'd had a great week running - fast was easy - and had done lots of yoga, pilates and gardening (squats!) and found today quite hard work - intensity level, or rate of perceived exertion, was good, but my pace was at least 10 seconds slower per kilometre than I wanted.

I think I've pretty much worn myself out. In fact, after lunch, when the rain returned, I returned to bed for a lovely long snooze.

Rest day tomorrow. Yay!

How are you holding up? Can I say from the rest of the kiwis here (lol) thanks for taking one for the team! Hope you can be level 2 tomorrow.

I’m ok. My hubby is going a bit stir crazy. Fingers tightly crossed for tomorrow’s announcement but I’m not too hopeful. Thanks!
  • mahmood_ak
    mahmood_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy
    8-7 7k easy
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 rest
    8-11 7k slow
    8-12 7k easy
    8-13 11k slow
    8-14 7k easy
    8-15 7k slow
    8-16 7k moderate
    8-17 rest
    8-18 7k easy
    8-19 7k easy
    8-20 7k moderate
    8-21 rest
    8-22 7k easy
    8-23 7k between easy and moderate

August Total: 130k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Cloudy and upper 60s F today, with an occasional breeze from the southeast. Squirrels are starting to eat the hickory nuts; the creepy crawlies in the fields and woods are just about deafening; and I hate it when sweat runs off my eyelids into my eyes.
    @rheddmobile You could also share your observations with your local health department. Why should they be able to put you at risk without consequence?

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 you are doing so well!!!!! SEVENTEEN MILES! You got this!

@Tramboman every time i get a glimpse of Atumn, I think of you. Leaves falling, the crunch of the leaves, squirrels staring at me, walnuts, the breeze, the smell of the heat in late summer on a trail with a bunch of yellow leaves on the ground .... yep, it’s so nice.

@rheddmobile I have often had the same cyclist issues. I feel... that they are just the worst. But also, I know they probably aren’t the worst kind of people in reality. Except. They might be.

@ContraryMaryMary that does sound intense! Good grief!

Yesterday’s track workout was a lot more than I expected it to be. I don’t know if it was the heat or allergies or the fact that I didn’t use my inhaler BEFORE running like I normally do, or it I just started too fast, but within the first 400m, I could not breathe. I felt like I was suffocating. My lungs were on fire! I walked back to my bag, used my inhaler (two puffs) and waited. Seemed okay, but it was a good reminder. I haven’t had that happen since last winter.

I now know what 800 meters is. Half a mile!

I did some drills that I saw this beautiful runner doing on Instagram, intervals with the MapMyRun app - but I screwed that up when i didn’t stop after the programmed 1.5 miles. And I don’t yet know how to change the distance. I was out there for three. It seemed easier on a track to notice my speed - when i was going too fast to maintain, when I was slow enough that I could sing a song, etc. I think it was good to switch up my routine as well as to do a shorter distance before the challenge starts tomorrow. I’ll definitely be back for more of that.

I did a pretty brutal lifting session after that and I am sore today, so I think it worked, lol. Rest day today - we are taking the dog swimming. :) so really.... active rest day today. 😂

On the eating disorder thing.... i can’t even believe how those athletes are alive! I kept thinking, “don’t they know they need nutrition to heal and make the machine work?!??” I feel awful for them, going through what they do and it’s all so short lived, it seems.

Kids start school tomorrow. Can not believe it. 🤮