WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary 2020

I finally found and bought 3-layer cloth reusable face masks to celebrate our 12th anniversary!
    We don't need them yet, but just in case we do, I wanted to have one each on hand.

And cake. I bought cake too.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I’m happy that you were able to cope with the poor air quality caused by smoke and fires. I hope you & Kirby continue to be well. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I think you’re making good choices about staying home when the weather isn’t agreeable for a dinning outdoors event. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for better weather so that you can enjoy going out after all. :star:

Delia: I like cottage cheese, too. I have mine for breakfast on a regular basis, and top the cottage cheese with home grown blueberries. :heart:

(((Debbie in Napa Valley))): I hope things settle down and the thunder storms ease off enough that you can get some rest and decent air quality. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Talking with you about sourdough prompted me to take a look at my crocks. My sourdough needed attention. I’ve scraped off the orange liquid goo that was at the top of each crock and thrown it away, then poured the good sourdough into a clean bowl so that I could wash each crock thoroughly. The crocks are now clean and I’ve moved the starter back in. They will sit out overnight so the sourdough will double. We might have pancakes for breakfast. :bigsmile:

Karen: What a charming classroom!!! The kids will love it. :heart:

I had a lovely trail ride today with my teacher and her best friend. I had a grand time. Arrow was a good boy.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kim - thinking of you, hugging you in spirit. Wish I could bring you to the clean air of Arkansas.

Debbie, these hugs are for you, too. I believe under the circumstances, 142 calories over your 1,000 is acceptable. Just call it your cheat day!

Sue in WA - enjoy your time with your mother - traveling grace as you go get her and bring her home with you.

Insomnia tonight due to an old pain in my butt, piriformis syndrome. Sciatic nerve's inflamed but doesn't engage the spine or lower back, just everything from my hip and gluteus maximus down my leg and foot. Moving my right leg just hurts like stink, and while I slept for a bit, every time I tried to move, I woke up. Annoying, and painful, and will slow me down for a little, but the medicos will say, "lose weight, take anti-inflammatories, do these exercises." I'm doing all those things anyway, so I think I'll skip the lecture. Luckily, I should still be able to use the elliptical, and it will hopefully speed healing.

It's already 2 a.m. and the chances for sleep are slim to none, so I think I'll get Corey's lunch ready to go, can't just SIT here. I'll stash his packed lunchbox in the fridge, and it will be fine. Give me something to think about besides my backside.

Coffee now, or coffee later? hmm, it's a conundrum.

:wink:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Debbie I had never heard of that AQI either. in Paris we have a pollution index usually with different scale. I hope you guys stay safe and healthy.

@Faye, wow so early to rise and early to bed! I used to get up at about 5ish and go to bed at 9ish but here in France that makes it impossible to meet anyone at end of day. almost no evening get together starts before 8pm, occasionally 6pm, but you can spend an hour on cocktail period (nibbling olives etc before mealtime) and the evening meal could easily start at 9pm or later.i used to fall asleep when I went out to meet friends, but I've since adapted. This said the sun rises and sets about a good hour later on average here, so that explains one hour of the difference. Going to bed here at 10pm would be quite early, especially in late spring, when it stays light out till 10:30pm: good for long evenings. Though friends in the country do tend on average to go to bed earlier.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    🦋
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Machka and Carol! <3

Meg - glad your DH is back home. I'm sure a big worry lifted with him away from close quarters where the virus likes to jump around.

California ladies- glad to hear air quality is improving for many of you, crossing fingers it continues. <3

Barbara - happy to hear Joe's eye is doing better.

Bedtime- it's 7:30 unless I force myself to stay up to watch something like Alone which lasted until 8. I am up at around 2:30. If I sleep in until 3 or 3:30 I feel like I've overslept. :p I also tend to turn off cellphone at 6 and the tablet gets dedicated to whatever show/series I'm watching on Prime or Netflix.

Stocking up: it's interesting to read comments from you gals about grocery items are in short supply in some areas. Yesterday I decided to do a big stock up shopping trip and grabbed more TP and non-perishable food we eat on a regular basis. Sounds like the Midwestern windstorm a week or so ago may have done some major crop damage and I'm not sure how that will play out, animal feed will probably be more expensive as will some cereal items if they are available at all. And corn produces ethanol which is a component of a lot of our gasoline these days.

Immunity: I'm wondering if any of the fresh produce items we eat will be more limited this winter. Right now we have access to lots of colorful fruits and veggies which help boost our immune systems. I have been reading up more on Quercetin which evidently helps zinc absorption and zinc sends viruses packing. Until this craziness started, I'd never heard of it, but now understand why it's so important to eat colorful fruits and veggies.

Foods high on the list include apples (colorful peels), blueberries, kale, red lettuce, you get the picture. If I can keep the deer away, I have plenty of kale in the garden to last a while.

In Michael Mosley's BBC documentary "Eat, Fast, Live Longer" (on YouTube and thanks again Heather for mentioning it a couple years ago :)<3 ) he interviews a very healthy fellow who eats the apple peels and tosses the flesh. I think he was a vegetarian in addition to fasting - I need to watch it again - and his balance was exceptional.

I have lots of ripe red Gravenstein apples, and will get the dehydrator set up today. I always dry apples with the peel on anyhow.

Sending hugs wherever needed. <3 Time for dog duty.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    vt8i42vxae2b.png
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Second breakfast: I never watched nor read the lord of the rings but my brother told me about "second breakfast" decades ago, and I remembered that.

@grandmallie I'm so sorry about your friend's passing. 65 is so young! I love coming back home and sleeping in my own bed, even more so ever since I ditched the futon and sprung for a real bed a few years back.

@Kim @Debbie, glad to read the AQI has gone down some

@Kim I'm so sorry for the financial repercussions.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Karen I love the jeeps!

@Heather sorry you are missing your eating out. I hope you can find another day.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am having my tea and will go get Dan and Homer and then come home and do some cleaning, Home Depot is coming Saterday to install a washer /dryer combo that I got , it goes in a closet so I wont be going tromping down to the laundry room..
    today is Faith's 86th birthday.. Sherri the other caregiver is working today and bringing her a cupcake and i will stop up with a balloon.. I told Jean that I thought she might have a UTI , but dont know what she will do about it..
    Sean still up in N.H. and I had a couple of my girlfriends stop by up at there house Saterday we sat out on the front porch, and its very embarrassing to have people show up to an unmowed lawn and crap everywhere... Jean does no housework and only cooks once in awhile in the fall and winter when she cant escape .. Sean does cook, but he isnt home so, Sherri and I are left to make lunches and breakfasts, but she eats basically the same thing for that and ,atkins frozen dinners with a salad at night
    Jean gets home from work gives Faith her pills and a quick dinner and goes to bed and plays on her phone,,, there is not any interaction much with her mom at all...its sad to see..
  • bananasandoranges
    edited August 2020
    Options
    To do today
    :
    1) Walk done at least 35 min, moderate-leisurely pace. :)
    2) 15 minutes cleaning/tidying,not yet :o
    3) check a thing about new driver's licence done:)
    4) 5 push-ups done :) (my arms are so un-exercised, I gave myself the goal this week of ONE push up per week, just to get me started. Without training I can't get to 10.)
    5) track food so far so good:) : breakfast: 10 g. of cereal, protein powder, 200 g soy yogurt, 100 g soy milk, (both unsweetened). 100 ml carrot juice (or less) A smidgen of unsweetened cranberry juice and about half cup of kombucha mixed (reminds me vaguely of Seabreeze cocktail). lunch: smoked tofu, 100 g unsweetened apple sauce.
    6) Buy jazz CD from friend's musician significant other to offer to a jazz-loving friend who still collects CDs who I'll see next weekend. appointment planned for between 6 +7pm
    7) 1 hour on writing work. not yet:o
    8) 5 minutes filing or paperwork. not yet:o

keeping bar pretty low
  • bananasandoranges
    edited August 2020
    Options
    calories in, calories out

I read online yesterday that an average use of calories for a woman post menopause is 1300, for average weight.That seems a little low for an average, and probably is the net. so to lose 1000 average or so, is needed to lose less than a pound a week. I should surely be under average weight at 5'2". I would guess I burn about 1300 a day including exercise or maybe slightly more but not much more. I still have not gotten used to the much lower calorie requirement.

Last time(s) I lost well and relatively easily, I was jogging regularly: a great calorie-burner and metabolism-booster. Not possible now due to knees and feet, which are doing well with nice walks, but I can't push em.

I've been going for walks daily -more than one when on vacation, but that's it. that must keep lower body and trunk in some shape but doesn't do much for arms. I don't pump arms when walking in the city streets, or anything. it looks conspicuous, though it is good for arms.

I'm gonna keep aiming to exercise arms at home, and keep aiming to keep calories down to 1000.So far I just forget or don't get to the 1st and the 2nd is just hard for me at present.

I tried skipping breakfast the other day and felt totally out of sorts, and off-kilter later in the day.

I should possibly aim for 900 per day net, (other than highly active days) to have some splurge days/meals (like a piece of pie or an occasional indulgent dessert). (a must for me).

gym/virus
    I saw the gym is open again but I'm not sure it's a great idea to join. In France people are required to wear masks in all inside shared spaces (stores, schools, etc), and on many shopping streets and parks with busy pedestrian traffic.
    In the gym the mask is required when moving around space but not on machines. Understandable as it would be rough in terms of breathing in one's CO2 but the huffing can't be great for keeping COVID to oneself. Here many young people are tested positive forCOVID recently but with no symptoms. COVID test is required for any or most plane travel now, so many unsymptomatic people are getting tested: so more positives.
    [spoiler/]
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    Going to bed here at 10pm would be quite early, especially in late spring, when it stays light out till 10:30pm: good for long evenings. Though friends in the country do tend on average to go to bed earlier.

That's a good point.

I spent 11 years up in northern Alberta where the sun set at 10:40 pm and civil twilight ended at 11:40 pm in the summer. Even as a teenager, it felt odd to go to bed before 11 pm, while it was still somewhat light out!

For a couple years during that time, I worked a 3 pm to 11 pm shift and loved it. Best shift ever!

My husband at the time worked 4 pm to midnight ... or on weekends, 4 pm to 2 am ... or when the oil riggers were in town, 4 pm to 4 am. I'd go over to the place he worked after my shift. If he was off at midnight, we and some other friends who worked the same shifts would head over to the local pool hall to play pool until 2 am or so. Or if we had a day off the next day, we'd go to our place to watch videos or play long board games until 2 am or 3 am or occasionally till about 6 am when we'd go out for breakfast.

Those kind of hours just worked for me. :smiley:

And it has been a battle ever since when I've had to be up and at work or uni somewhere between 8 and 9:30 am. I am just not cut out for those early mornings.

Sort of like France, evening get-togethers don't start early. My cycling national committee meetings are from 8 pm - 10 pm. My local club meetings go from 7-9 pm. The Brain Injury Association will have their meetings a little earlier ... 6-8 pm or so.

The symphony or plays start at 7 or 8 and go to 10 or 11. If we take the bus, it might be midnight before we get home.

If we're going out to dinner with friends, we'd make reservations for 7 or 7:30 pm most likely. However, if we're going ourselves, we'll try to go a little bit earlier like 6 pm (when the restaurant opens) just to avoid the peak hours later in the evening.

And many times, for months at a time, over the years I've taken evening classes that usually run 6-9 or 7-10.

I've just gotten used to doing stuff in the evenings so that I can't be rolling up the sidewalks and lowering the blinds at an early hour.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    I bit the bullet and cancelled tomorrow's pizza meet up. :'( The expected wind is 50 miles an hour! I don't think they will be opening the big French doors. :o The family and au pair are still going, but we are not sitting indoors yet.
    We have arranged a Zoom with the kids for DH'S quizzes on Wednesday at 4. It will be after my girlfriends. :D And we have pledged to go over to their garden when the weather improves.
    They were very understanding. <3

Cooking Chinese Chicken in Black Bean Sauce tonight. Green beans.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Prayers and Good thoughts for those in the fire areas and storm areas.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️