WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thinking about our friends too near the fire...

After I finished making Corey's lunch and shoving it in the refrigerator at about 3 a.m., went back to bed, and ended up getting what's turned out to be my usual - a total of about six and a half hours.

My posterior is still ouchy, but not nearly as bad as it was last night, so I'm assuming the sciatic nerve has calmed down quite a bit. Nonetheless, still eggshelling it a bit. Did get one small load of laundry out to the line, going to go gingerly get on the elliptical, and then get the other load out on the line.

We've been watching the Eco-Challenge on Amazon Prime, an incredible race across Fiji, more than 400 miles long, running, hiking, swimming in 58-degree water, mountain biking, climbing, rappelling, paddle boarding, and paddling outriggers both on the open ocean and calmer waters. Serious issues with both heatstroke in the lowlands and hypothermia in the mountains. However, almost without exception, they all said they feel like they are most alive when they're out there going through hell--most didn't even enter to win, merely to finish.

I watched open-mouthed, but have zero urge to do anything remotely similar. Not because of my age - I think the oldest one was 68 - but because I never had a yen to hurt myself to make myself feel alive.

I can hurt myself by tripping over the carpet. This does not make me feel alive, just clumsy.

I marvel at the human spirit on a constant and ongoing basis. What makes you feel most alive?

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,056 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself for the first time since Christmas. Bad news. I gained 15 pounds. Well, today is another day. The good news is I can do two minutes on my ministepper. Maybe time to increase that. I get little aches from it, but they move around and come and go. Maybe more stretching.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,572 Member
    Options
    Thought I posted yesterday’s stats

Walk 2 farmers market w/family- 53.05min, 93mhr, 2.44mi= 356c
    Apple Watch- 276c
    Zwift bike trainer- 47.35min, 162mhr, 19.3amph, 15.33mi= 634c
    Apple Watch-= 425c

990 cal total
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,874 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: I hope you can cool off enough to rest, and that the air quality in your area is improving. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: I’ll second Lisa’s comments. I hope you travel safely and are able to bring your mom home. :heart:

Lisa: Insomnia is no fun. I know you put your waking time to good use, but I hope you’ll get some healing sleep soon. :star:

Lanette: I’m curious about your dehydrated apples and would love to hear more about them. I have a great dehydrator and have used it for herbs, mostly. The herbs include chocolate mint leaves, parsley, and chives. I've never tried apples. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Happy 86th to Faith. :smiley:

Heather: I hope that Storm Francis will not do extensive damage, and the businesses will be able to reopen quickly. :star:

I have no big plans for the day so far, but my intention is to have a little fun along the way.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wishing I had a magic wand to change things!
    From a friend near the Bay Area this morning.
    h63foyouuhsm.jpg

Hoping all of you in hurricane country are safe. It looks like big brother Marco will tag team his little sister Laura and meet for a double whammy on the Gulf coast. Big brother hurricane Marco is having a bad influence on his little sister, tropical storm, Laura.
  • Katla49
    Options
    I am currently feeling lucky because our air quality is okay. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays okay. I hope our friends in California are able to find ways to stay healthy & cope with the smoke. :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,936 Member
    Options
    :)Lisa, I love reading about people who have accomplished amazing things (climb Mt. Everest, swim from Florida to Cuba, run super marathons) but I have no yearning to do any of those things. What inspires me is the focus to train to achieve. I feel most alive when I am learning and accomplishing something. What I learn and what I accomplish may be minor in the eyes of others, but it energizes me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Faetta
    Options
    Dilation in progress!!! Pressures good!!

Oh no, I just realized I forgot to put on a bra!
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    I feel most alive when I am deep into my fast. Right now I'm in hour 20, and I know my body is cleaning house. My refeed will be at noon! I'm excited about that! I have been only keeping my eating window open two hours which still gives me time to nurse a cup of coffee.
    Hugs to yas!
    💖Rebecca
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Treading a little carefully:
    Elliptical - 69 min, 462 cals
    Yardwork - 61 min, 439 cals
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Tracey--I agree that all this stuff going on, it feels like life is out of control. I know I want to eat all the time lately. I agree her hiring her son is not right.
    Allie--Sorry to hear Homer is not doing well. You are taking such loving care of him. Our pug Jake was ill most the night. Kept waking us up to go outside and had several accidents in the house. He is home resting right now and have someone checking on him.
    Meg--great to see you post. Been looking for you and glad to hear the news. Hope things can settle down.
    Peachy--she looks so grown up.
    Machka--Happy anniversary!! Hope you have a special day.
    I am at the bottom of page 88, but out of time. I have a web meeting at one. In the mean time all out in coming and out going calls are not working. Started last evening around 5. Sure not good for a hospital, it is us and another hospital about 50 miles from here. Interesting for sure.

Blessings, Vicki G NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    Faye - Get a taxi! <3

Alive! :o So many things. Dancing for sure. :D Playing with the grandchildren. <3 A great art gallery on a quiet day. Great architecture and design. Talking a foreign language. :p Intimate chat with friends. <3
    I feel alive so often. I love learning things. New information excites me. Cruises make me feel alive. City breaks. A good writing morning. :D

Today, on that subject, my old university friend rang me unexpectedly. :D<3 Lovely chat for about an hour. Amazing how friendships can last so long, even at a distance. Time stands still. <3

Dinner was heavenly! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Options

Oh no I wore my shorter jeans and haven’t shaved for weeks!
    g903lxpgfhkf.jpeg
  • Katla49
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Meg: I’m repeating myself, but I am so glad to see you posting again! You have been missed. :heart:

Heather: “Alive” is a great word that suits you well. :flowerforyou:

DeliaFaye: You’ve had quite a day so far. I hope your visit with the doctor goes well. :star:

To all of our friends in California: I hope your home is far from flames and you have clean air inside your home so that you are able to breathe well enough. :heart:

I’ve ordered a new set of gaskets for my glass canning jars. I use them to store dried herbs. Some have had no gasket in years, but the dried herbs do okay, anyway. I had a couple with old rubber gaskets that are no longer useful. :noway: I ordered new, silicon gaskets for all of them. While I was at it, I ordered a new Audubon Society Field Guide to Fish in the Columbia River. I keep noticing a large whitish fish in the shallows by my house & want to know what it is. I know some things it isn’t—It isn’t salmon, or sturgeon, or trout.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    B)