WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. The next storm has hit and is beating furiously the window and at the trees in the garden. I'm drinking my morning tea, and in no hurry to get out of bed. We are watching the morning news.

I'm a night owl. I tend to go to bed after midnight most nights. I wake between 7 and 8 each morning, and have a wake up walk around the house before getting back into bed for my morning cuppa. This is when I catch up with internet stuff unless I have something pressing to do. I seldom have breakfast before 10.30am, as I tend to exercise and do upstairs chores before I go downstairs. This morning I will be vacuuming the bedrooms and putting away the laundry that we got done in yesterday's fine weather.

☘️ Terri

:+1:

Sounds normal to me! :)

I also wait to eat. My last snack is usually around 9 pm and first snack of the morning is usually around 11:30 am. :)

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Today bar very low, since I'm wiped:

1) clean 15 minutes not yet
    2) 1 push up! not yet
    3) walk 55 brisk minutes already done
    4) track all and also the thing I forgot yesterday partly so far
    5) get eyes checked in an hour or so.
    6) 1 hr on writing not yet
    7) see if I can catch neighbour about balcony bug issue
    8) start to slowly pack for Friday, adding a thing here and there to carry on bag yes have started

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Terri - I don't think I look horrible, I just look ready for a run. :D Round here a lot of people wear exercise clothing out and about, so it's not odd to go to the local shops in leggings etc. Brighton and Hove was recently awarded the title of the fittest place in the UK. :p I would change if I was going to eat out or visit people, but I'm not doing that right now. I exercise every morning and every afternoon straight after lunch.
    I'm not sure why I find it so hard to wash my hair. :* My hair is very greasy and ideally would be washed every other day. It gets soaked with sweat every morning from exercise. Sometimes I use dry shampoo. Today it's been three days since I washed it and it feels horrible. ;)
    DH thinks I'm beautiful whatever I look like. :D<3
    My naked face reminds me of my mother, which is not a good thing for me. :o I'm a different person with my face on.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx sharing your windy weather. :#
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    On the other subject, I don't play any games, do crosswords, Sudoku, cards, nothing. I really, really don't like them. Not sure why, but I've had that phobia most of my life. All my friends know about it. :/
    To relax and chill out I read a free online magazine, usually house decoration, love them, but it could be running, or women's mags. Or I listen to language videos.
    DH loves his crosswords and Sudoku.
    I'm also deliriously happy just reading a good book, mainly non fiction. I love learning. At the moment I'm reading Michelle Obama and a book called The Bombing War, about the WW 2 bombing campaign in Europe.

Don't know where my hatred of games comes from. I think I feel it is a complete and utter waste of time . Plus I don't like losing. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    I'm in a funk ... it will pass ... but still, that's where I am today ...

Hoping to hear you have snapped out of it today. I was feeling the funk coming on this morning, but after taking myself out in the backyard for a self-administered butt-kicking, I am feeling a bit more motivated.
    6g8sqcr0c0ye.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm not sure why I find it so hard to wash my hair. :* My hair is very greasy and ideally would be washed every other day. It gets soaked with sweat every morning from exercise. Sometimes I use dry shampoo. Today it's been three days since I washed it and it feels horrible. ;)

Don't you wash it when you shower?

I have to because mine is long enough that if I take a shower it is going to get wet anyway, and it is long enough there's really no other way to wash it.

I've noticed heaps of dry shampoo on the shelves but since I shower (and thus wash my hair) 5 days a week, I probably don't need dry shampoo.

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    hair-washing frequency
    @Machka9 had long hair quite a bit and definitely didn't wash it every day (and I shower every day). Here every shower has a hand held shower head, usually with a possible hook. So I used to put my hair in a bunnish ponytail to keep it unwet and wash the rest of me. My hair would take 3+ hours to dry naturally, and I don't like using blowdryer every day - 1) it's not great for hair 2) I don't like the noise and I suppose my neighbours don't either. I do blow-dry it sometimes. My hairdresser said to wash my hair 1x a week and that usually works ok, except if I go swimming. In which cas I wash it every day or two. With hair just above shoulders I don't need to wear a ponytailer for the moment; In France it's most common for younger people to wash hair about every 3 days and older people maybe 1x a week. In the usa we all washed our hair every day.
    I have never used dry shampoo but I think I may well when I get older.

I'm sooooo tired.
    Got my eyes tested. indeed I need progressives now. it takes 10 days to get them at the 1-hour glasses place. They must surely order them from china or something like that. I know another reasonably priced glasses place has a one-week delay because they order them from...China.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Heather Games I'm of 2 minds. On one hand I can find them a total waste of time. On the other when we were kids and teens with family we played cards quite a bit and also with my sisters family we still do sometimes. it's a way to be together intergenerational. When spending a week together or something it can be nice to do something light. (like light banter). we used to play for hours in the summer with my siblings.

That said I don't like it when some people get very competitive and take it very seriously. It's more a way to hang out together.

Now I find it a mindless thing and some stress relief, but also a waste of time, that could be better spent.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    @LisaInAR said
    What makes you feel most alive?

What makes me feel most alive is having the freedom of choice to do whatever pleases me. After a lifetime being at the beck and call of others to earn a living, and of working towards making a better life for our family, and saving for a rainy day, it makes my heart sing that I am free as a bird, with the means to indulge myself in my second childhood.
    Writing, craftwork, painting, creating of all kinds is my life force. Dancing, Reading, gardening, walking, family get togethers, being in the moment, learning new things, visiting new places. Meeting up with friends, and a hundred other activities send the blood coursing through my veins.

I just revel in the sheer joy of every second of being ALIVE

These are the exciting choices i have made so far today:
    • Welcome and give Thanks to the new day
    • Meditate on Positive affirmations for the day
    • Wake Up Walk to get the blood flowing
    • Don raincoat and venture out to rescue some gladioli that had been blown over
    • Enjoy morning cuppa back in bed and chat over the TV news with DH
    • Sort out emails after he got up
    • Catch up on you lot
    • Morning Ablutions + declutter master bathroom
    • Breakfast
    • Vacuum upstairs
    • Coffee
    • Fold laundry and put it away.
    • Bag up the green beans from the garden that I froze yesterday
    • Finish pickling cucmbers I harvested yesterday.

It is now almost lunchtime. The winds outside have dropped, and if the rain ceases, I may get out into the garden and see what other damage has been done. If it stays wet, I may decide to bake some bread, or do some painting, or just laze in front of th TV. I'm watching the live streaming of the first series of Fort Salem at the moment, but there are several other series I have earmarked.

Sue: Safe travels to collect you mom.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Ladies in the fire zone: I'm joining Rori in the raindance, and hoping to send you some of what is falling here in Ireland. We have plenty to spare 😂

Rori: Glad that you are finally getting the respite you need. We all need time off to recharge, and you deserve it after the time you have had lately.

Julie: I've always been a fan of mindless games on the internet. Very therapeutic!
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    hair-washing frequency
    @Machka9 had long hair quite a bit and definitely didn't wash it every day (and I shower every day). Here every shower has a hand held shower head, usually with a possible hook. So I used to put my hair in a bunnish ponytail to keep it unwet and wash the rest of me. My hair would take 3+ hours to dry naturally, and I don't like using blowdryer every day - 1) it's not great for hair 2) I don't like the noise and I suppose my neighbours don't either. I do blow-dry it sometimes. My hairdresser said to wash my hair 1x a week and that usually works ok, except if I go swimming. In which cas I wash it every day or two. With hair just above shoulders I don't need to wear a ponytailer for the moment; In France it's most common for younger people to wash hair about every 3 days and older people maybe 1x a week. In the usa we all washed our hair every day.
    I have never used dry shampoo but I think I may well when I get older.

I can't leave my hair a week. I can leave it two days over the weekend, but by the third day (like if it were a long weekend), my scalp starts itching and my hair starts to annoy me. The curl comes out, it becomes half limp and half straw-like. As soon as I wash it, I'm good again. :)

I actually like washing my hair in the shower ... helps me stretch (reaching up) and the hot water helps wake me up in the morning. It also gives me a chance to condition the ends of my hair ... that is, the bottom foot or so.

I blow dry it for about 5 minutes at most ... just enough so that the front is a little bit dry and so that the ends don't drip. From the time I leave the house until I arrive at work is about 40-45 minutes, some of which is spent outside in the wind. So when I arrive at work it is about half dry ... I fluff and scrunch, then get my morning coffee and water. And sometime in the next hour it is pretty much dry. :)

Sometimes later in the day I spray my hair with leave-in conditioner and do some more fluffing and scrunching so the curls appear nicely.

Since the C19 thing, I definitely want to wash my hair every day during the week ... it's out there where people can cough or sneeze on it, or touch it. Less likely now that people keep their distance, but people used to touch my hair.

Now speaking of hair ... I've just completed my semi-annual dye effort. :smiley:

On Saturday, I dyed the under half a very dark brown, almost black but not quite.

Today I dyed the top half auburn.

I'm not grey anymore!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    @LisaInAR said
    What makes you feel most alive?

What makes me feel most alive is having the freedom of choice to do whatever pleases me. After a lifetime being at the beck and call of others to earn a living, and of working towards making a better life for our family, and saving for a rainy day, it makes my heart sing that I am free as a bird, with the means to indulge myself in my second childhood.

You are very fortunate!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a dressed Up Drills DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Cardio Mashup DVD

I’m so so disappointed. Yesterday I was so excited that I had a little bit of activity with my sourdough starter. I’d fed it twice/day. I figured I’d have more activity today. Nope. I’ll give it until the end of the week (someone on here said it took them 14 days) and if there’s still no activity, I think I’ll just give up and order it from Bob’s Red Mill. I can’t for the life of me figure out what I’m doing wrong.

M – with Real Majongg you play against their computer. The first 2 weeks are free, after that it’s $5.99 (US dollars) a month. And there is always someone playing. Well, figuring the time differences, that makes sense.

Jess asked me to make this crochet thing. Not sure if it’s for her or a friend. I honestly don’t understand it, it’s a rug. Why would you want a crochet rug? It’ll just slide all over. Anyway, getting back to the pattern. Talk about for the experienced! There are things in there that I’ve never heard of and have absolutely no idea at all how to do. Looks like that one will take me a long, long, long time to make (IF I can figure it out)

Lisa – your have such a way with words that I envy.

Right now I take a shower every other day and usually wash my hair at that time. In winter I many times can go for 3 days. That is…unless I’ve really sweated

Well, I want to vacuum Jess’ room, so I’m off. Vince said he wants to cut the grass today. Maybe after we do that I can go in the pool. We shall see

Michele NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    We got the estimate for the sanding and I'm wrangling over a couple of items. >:) Otherwise we should be OK to start on Sept 14th. Here's hoping she plays ball..
    The blind man is coming to fit my solar powered, remote operated, blind onThursday. I'm going to use the returned deposit from the river cruise to pay for it. Haven't told DH yet.

Then, I've just buzzed DH's head with the trimmer and spent ages on his eyebrows and ear hair. :/:|:p We did it in the kitchen as it's blowing a gale outside. We are forecast 64 mph gusts.

I did my first stretch of writing this morning since August 7th. Happy to have got going again.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    What makes me feel most alive? Doing Tai Chi in a bikini.

Hair washing frequency Every time I shower. When I worked I showered twice a day or else I smelled like a bucket of fish guts in the hot sun. Now I shower whenever I get really sweaty, I smell an odor and all fingers are pointing at me, or every 7 days, whichever comes first. Keeping my hair short is a real asset in light of my asymmetrical frequency of hair care. After first skin cancer, the doc said to shower less and leave the natural oils.

[quote="TerriRichardson

I just revel in the sheer joy of every second of being ALIVE -- Faye: triple check

These are the exciting choices I have made so far today:
    • Welcome and give Thanks to the new day -- Faye: check - Tai Chi
    • Meditate on Positive affirmations for the day -- Faye: check - Tai Chi with deep breathing and mantra
    • Wake Up Walk to get the blood flowing --- Faye: check - aerobic bikini body fitness workout
    • Don raincoat and venture out to rescue some gladioli that had been blown over --- Faye: nope
    • Enjoy morning cuppa back in bed and chat over the TV news with DH --- Faye: double nope
    • Sort out emails after he got up --- Faye: partial check no he involved
    • Catch up on you lot ---- Faye: check
    • Morning Ablutions + declutter master bathroom --- Faye: no clutter but make the bed
    • Breakfast --- Faye: yes I am on breakfast #3
    • Vacuum upstairs --- Faye: no upstairs
    • Coffee --- Faye: check but hours earlier
    • Fold laundry and put it away --- Faye: the buzzer just went off on load 2
    • Bag up the green beans from the garden that I froze yesterday --- Faye: no green beans but do need to slice up watermelon
    • Finish pickling cucmbers I harvested yesterday --- Faye: nope, no garden but I will go to local organic veg and fruit stand later today
      [/quote]

My day is downriver drifting now girls! 0725 hours PST
      ob4f3tut89ps.png
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I had to get myself back to a more normal waking hour so I took a little nap after work. I was then able to stay up until midnight and awakened at 5:00 am without the alarm. I need to get back to a more normal waking hour because I find myself logging in to work and then my work day ends up being 12 to 14 hours which is something I do not want to become a habit.

Tina & Faye – I agree. Being an organized, neat person can be a trait. When it becomes an obsession it does need to be labeled and managed. I am glad I am inward reflecting and can notice things within myself that may need fine tuning.

Heather – I am happy you got out for a run even if it was cut short. I am not sure if you recall but early on in our new normal I started feeling really out of sorts. I decided I would not let our situation get the better of me and then committed to keeping to my normal routines as much as possible. In May while listening to some talk show the speaker indicated it’s best for us to do what we do every morning. If that includes showering, putting on makeup, dressing, etc. we need to do it. I have found sticking to my routine has helped. Interesting – in the States our pharmacies have been giving flu shots for years, at least in FL. Sorry to hear the weather was not cooperating and you were not able to eat with the family. Hopefully you are able to schedule something soon!

Carol – A happy anniversary to you and DH!

Rita – Key Lime mousse sounds interesting. The Key limes have a slightly different taste than a standard lime (in my humble opinion). Thank you for your RV living tips. I really want to see the country and love the idea of being a nomad for a period of time.

Dirt, Germs, and Hands – I do believe we need exposure in order to strengthen our immune systems. I do not mind getting dirty and really am not a crazy cleaning person. Because I do not have a cleaning routine I must go full out and do mass cleanings from time-to-time. Heather, like you, my germs love me and I love them. 😊 But I do not care for my hands to be dirty. I do the chore/activity and must wash my hands.

Bananas – Sorry to hear about the mite issue. Maybe leave a nice note on your neighbor’s door if you are not able to catch them. I stopped playing so much solitaire when I started my get back to healthier living plan. I found I was spending way too much of my free time online. I do a set of games in the morning to warm up my brain for work.

Allie – Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Kim – Do you have window fans that you can set up so the air blows out? Just a thought. I am also thinking a humidifier would wet the smoke particles and make them heavier and lessen them in the air you are breathing. I just noticed Katla suggested a spray bottle – great minds?

Karen – I love the creativity of the teachers. It makes it a little more fun and less scary for the little ones.

Debbie – 14 cats! I keep telling myself I will not become “a crazy cat lady” – LOL! Although I think the next time around I will have two so they can keep each other company. Smokey is quite spoiled and loves being an only child. I find with most cats it’s easier to get two at the same time – if one is in the house prior to another there is a big adjustment period.

Second Breakfast – I have always called that my mid-morning snack. 😊

Rori – So glad to see your post. I am SO HAPPY hearing the news of 10 hours per week and 30 days of respite!!!!!! Oh, gal, how you have needed that time!

Lisa – Oh, my Levi is a cutie!

Annie – So sorry to hear about your BIL. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Well, I really must get back to work. I have what I call the pre-vacation blues. They are not really the blues – just do not have much motivation to work and am looking forward to a few days off!

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL