WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Showers - I prefer taking a bath and do so every day unless I've gotten excessively dirty (like mowing the grass or painting stuff, I'm a messy painter) then I take a shower. My hair generally gets washed once a week, after the dusty yard mowing :smile:. If I have done something to warrant an extra washing of the hair mid week, then I do that. It typically dries naturally and takes several hours.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Just wondering
    Who counted 41 billion probiotics in a mere 6 oz serving dwxfj0syctvd.jpg

Walking back from the doctor yesterday I decided to take a short cut through the old red-light district since I was dressed in a non-provocative manner. I was shocked! The entire once run-down apartments of poor reputation had all been remodeled and all of the red lights were gone except for one row across from the new office. I couldn't stand the mystery, so I ventured into the office and inquired. I was pleasantly surprised that this row was for seniors and disabled and the red lights were left and now remotely controlled from a necklace or bracelet in case the resident needed help. It lit the outside light and also alerted the office.

I was intrigued! This could be the place I need to move. I would have to make some serious mental adjustments and forget history and maybe overlook the surrounding neighborhood as being a bit sketchy, but I am not one to overlook an opportunity so I inquired the price. I was glad I had forgotten my dentures because I would have choked on them. Twice the rate of the other apartments for this limited service and NO other amenities that other senior communities offer. I don't really like dancing, but should a Sam Elliott look-alike ask me to Argentine tango in that slow low voice, believe me, girls, I would slice that rug 7 different ways till Tuesday.

As I left still on the fence about looking further into this place, I passed an old man sitting on his porch drinking a quart of beer right from the bottle with his ice crest in arms reach. I said, "Good morning," in a cheery voice. He said, "Morning darling didn't you used to live here?" Well, I sashayed my old kitten out of there at an Olympic speed walking record-breaking pace and my voice trailed with, "Hell no you old kitten orfice."
    48q9gxg2o2jm.jpg

Faye on the move and in the groove along the banks of the dammed river
    66qpvsvigia8.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

I got a crappy nights sleep, but my god daughter will be here in an hour for the day and I am so looking forward to it.

It is cooler, which is helping the fire fighters. AQI is at 118 right now but the radio just announced a new fire about 3 miles from me. Hope they get it out quick, time will tell. (118 is unhealthy for youth, seniors and sensitive groups)

Michele- it took me almost 4 weeks to get the starter to be ready to make my first loaf of bread.

Showers/hair washing – I shower every other day if I am not gardening, and then it could be everyday –depending on how dirty/sweaty I get. I wash my hair every time I shower. My hair gets very greasy, when I was a teen and young adult it needed to be washed twice a day, and even now by 3 days I could probably wipe enough grease out of it to saute vegetables.

Kim from N. California
  • Faetta
    Options
    Kim I sure hope they douse that fire quickly. I can't take smokey air over 90 as it burns my throat. I was never able to sleep in smokey air.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heather: You’ve brought me a sentimental memory, and I appreciate it. My mother also “put her face on” as part of her morning routine. My own skin won’t tolerate makeup. I put on sunscreen if I’m going to be out in bright sun. I am also happier when I’m reading a good book. I have bookshelves full of them, and also check out library books frequently. I happily reread favorite books and books by favorite authors, including a book written by you. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I suspect the people in California would appreciate a gully washer right about now. We’ve been unusually dry in Oregon this year and I suspect they’ve been much dryer. :ohwell:

Pip: Happy to see your Pppp! :bigsmile:

Michele: For your next sourdough day, only double it once. Leave it on the counter in a crock that keeps the sourdough in the dark until you see it rise and then subside. The little guys who turn flour & milk into sourdough need time to work & then rest. They love darkness. Keep them in a crock that doesn’t allow light. If that doesn’t get the job done, Bob’s is a great choice to buy starter. :flowerforyou: When we use our sourdough starter to make pancakes, we take what we need out of the crock, then feed the remainder of the sourdough in the crock with flour and milk. We let it work and subside at room temperature, then put it in the refrigerator until the next time we want to eat sourdough. (We let it warm up on the counter for a while to wake up and be active. We replace the quantity we have taken out and let it sit until it rises and subsides before we put it into the refrigerator. :star:

Anne in DE: I hope for the best for your brother-in-law. :heart:

Sending good wishes for all of our friends who are in the smoke zone or near the California fires. :heart: :star::heart: :star:

What makes you feel most alive? Sailing filled that spot for decades. We’ve sailed near home and also taken ocean trips all the way to the Straits of Juan de Fuca into the San Juan Islands of WA and northern end of Vancouver Island in BC. On our last sailing trip DH was having a bit of trouble. A stranger on the docks told him point blank that he had MS and needed to see a doctor. When we got home from that trip DH found an MS doctor who was a jerk, and then one who is a gem. As his MS worsened, it became too difficult to continue sailing. I began taking horseback riding lessons, and still ride whenever I get an opportunity. Sunday I went for a trail ride with friends. We still have our boat and DS has promised to take me sailing whenever he can. There is an old saying, “When God closes a door, HE opens a window.” Horseback riding is my window. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    GAMES: I play Pogo Scrabble, Microsoft Mahjong & Solitaire, and do two crossword puzzles (USA Today & Washington Post).

Raining again today! Will probably rain for the rest of the week. Wish I could send some for the folks in the fires.

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    Options
    My garden buddies are back!
    9cczvqt5p2vs.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    It is now the time we would have been eating with the family. Our pizza would have blown all the way to the Royal Pavilion. :o The wind is roaring round the house. Hope our aerial stays up. :* Even getting to the restaurant would have been an unpleasant adventure!

Faye - Did you know that low fat yoghurt doesn't cut it with the stomach acid? Only full fat preserves all those beautiful bacteria and carries it to the gut. We have trillions of the lovely things in the gut. Marvellous.
    A favourite German insult is kitten orifice. Every German film I have seen they use it a lot. :D
    The French for some reason have it in for cows. Most unfair. Plus lady parts. :s
    The British seem to hate sexual congress.
    The funniest thing I ever heard was the Maharishi talking about the use of the word f... We used to use the tape on the personal development courses I helped at, to warm everyone up. I must have heard it ten times, but it always had me in hysterics. I expect it can be found on the web somewhere. His timing was impeccable. :p

Off to make mushroom risotto.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/17/lnu-lightning-complex-includes-hennessey-gamble-15-10-spanish-markley-13-4-11-16-walbridge/

current update on the fires here.
    So happy to see it is 27% contained.
    Air is still bad but not as bad as it was. It goes and comes.
    It is the Walbridge part that we are watching closest because that is in my hometown. Myers part is near our church camp. I don't remember the other part(all parts have grown together so it considered a Complex.) That is actually closer to us- Vacaville/Fairfield is the area closer to us.

Have both daycare kids this morning- going to make mini meatloaves in the pressure cooker for dinner. Need to make sure I have enough potatoes.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Yogi went too
    nlib0unk5wua.jpeg
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Pip - Yogi looks like he is saying, "TG I made it, now where is the water bowl!". LOL......I am so happy for your family - settling in takes some time (so I hear).......
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @heather what French word for lady parts? it's true "la vache" ! ("the cow") is like "oh hell!"
    For lady parts, In England they through around the C- word easily, (for men and women) like the A-H word in the USA. but we can't really use the C word in the usa. "sexual congress"?

I googled the 'maharashi" on the "f-word" and found one by Osho. that must be the one you are talking about? it made me laugh.I guess there are many maharishis, right? If you are interested in Osho did you see the Netflix mini series on him and his gang. I found it really interesting. I didn't really know the story and found it suspenseful for a documentary mini series and rather well-rounded, showing different sides of the story.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Delia: The praying mantis is a gardener’s Guardian Angel. It is a good buddy, indeed. :smiley:

Heather: I’m sorry that weather issues caused you to miss your meal with the grandkids. :ohwell:

Pip: Thanks for sharing your photos. Yogi is a charmer and does a great job smiling for the camera. Your air quality looks pretty good. I hope it stays that way. :star:

We’ve been getting nuisance calls. The most recent was somebody claiming to be our bank. We call the bank. They DO NOT call us. I called the bank to let them know about the nuisance call/scam.

We have a beautiful morning and no plans for the day, so far. I will be thinking of something to do that is fun. One thing is sure, I need to freeze some blueberries so they don’t get moldy. That will come before whatever we decide will be fun.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Kim - Sometimes a good cry refreshes our souls and we are better able to handle the next thing that is thrown at us. I hope you had a good rest and that today is better for you.

Clothes at Home - I am terrible and most usually get into PJ's as soon as I get home. I do on Saturday's and Sunday's though get dressed with usually just shorts and a tank top or leggings and a t-shirt.
    My Mom and Grandmother dressed every single day, I never saw my Grandmother in a nightgown outside of her bedroom. Mom would change into a nightgown and housecoat around 830-9 in the evening. My Grandmother even wore shoes in the house I never saw her in bare feet.
    It's funny I was talking this morning to a coworker about my Uncle and Aunt, she was June Cleaver her whole life and I never saw her not fully done with jewellery and the whole bit when she was raising her 6 children.

I usually snack around 9pm and then eat around 12 the next day. Except a coffee I have a coffee every morning.

Someone gave me a trial size of the dry shampoo, I used it once and didn't like how it felt on my head. I also was surprised at how cold the can got when I was spraying. I wash my hair every 3-4 days, unless i get sweaty and then I wash it that day. I am claustrophobic so don't shower unless I absolutely have to, so I bathe every night and wash my hair in the sink.

Lisa - I was right there with you hanging out Corey's jeans. My daughter notices all those little things like you do, I have been trying harder to enjoy and notice them, but it sure is a learned practice.
    My daughter's new house has 2 hummingbirds that visit almost daily, they were my Grandmother's favourite so my daughter is convinced one of them is Grammie saying hi.

You mentioned a rooster in your neighbourhood, Kaitlyn has a rooster in hers as well. When the Grands and I went out there last weekend, Michaela heard the rooster and it was her first time hearing one. She answered its call and for about 1/2 an hour Michaela and the rooster had a great conversation going. I recorded it as it was fun to see and hear. One of those simple little moments.

Annie - I hope your BIL recovers quickly and your Sister doesn't get it. Is this the sister that wanted to come visit a while ago?

Suzi - I think one of the downfalls of working at home is that you end up giving the company more of your time than your wages reflect. I was offered to have my work email put on my personal phone, I politely declined.
    My Grands breakfasts should be breakfast and lunch. They usually have toast and cereal at home and then come to our house and they decide if it's French Toast and Bacon, Pancakes and Sausage or Bacon and eggs. Those are the three main ones they choose from.

Karen - sorry for your cousin's loss.

Katla - I reread books by favourite authors as well. I am currently re-reading a trilogy of Nora Roberts, when I opened the cover I noticed first thing my Grandmother's handwriting, it was a birthday gift to me in 1997.

I don't know if anyone remember the Doubleday Book Club, my Grandmother would sign up for it every year in June or July get the 7 free books, usually for Birthday and Christmas presents for my husband and I. She would read all of the books before she gave them to us and you would never know they were read. She would buy the commitment required for herself or for me as extra treats. She would then cancel it and start all over the next year. She continued that tradition for probably 5 or 6 years straight and we still have a lot of the books.

Carol - When exactly is your anniversary this week? Have we missed it?

Pip - You, Kirby and Yogi all look very happy.

Well I need to get to work, I finished payroll and took a break, but that has been longer than I was planning. I'll catch up later.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    It was Baba Rajneesh, not the Maharishi. I've found it! Of course, we just had the audio, so you might try just listening. We used it just before the 'Secrets' session to help people shed their inhibitions.

Oh, my link didn't come up :'( but you could Google Baba Rajneesh, the F... word. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2020
    Options
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x496tdl

Got it! :p Not for the easily offended. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tracey Thanks; Cousin Holly is as dear to me as a sister. I just found out she and her husband are safe in San Francisco staying with her husband’s relatives. I haven’t heard if they lost any of their animals.

Karen in Virginia